Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Well, after 6 months of waiting, 6 months of using a Blackberry (while waiting and anticipating), I became a first time Palm Pre Plus Owner today. Oh to come back to Palm, when the first Palm Pilot came out when 10-12 years ago?!?!

In any case, I love the Pre-- it's such an amazing phone. There are things from the old Calendar and Memo system I miss-- the color coding and categories were amazing, BUT have learned to work around that in just a few hours. By the way what an amazing thing that was for Palm to sync my Palm Desktop from my Treo to my Pre-- so cool!

So here is my question-- what would you all advice as the top 3 things to get for the Pre. I've been reading about the Touchstone is that a must? Any advice on a case?

Also, I was hoping that since it syncs to Facebook that the birthdays would sync to my calendar-- too hopeful maybe?

Well, the Pre is wonderful and I'm SOOO glad I didn't get the iphone, Storm or Droid-- this is the perfect phone for me!!!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I waited for the Pre Plus and made the move back to Palm, I think they have done a great job on this phone. I am still learning webOS but so far I like it.
    WebOS is the best, the calendar is not as good as my 700p was but otherwise this phone runs circles around everything else.

The longer you own it the more addicted you will get!
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Rocketfish is a good case, only cost 20$. But... it's hard to take off, and it makes it so you can't put on a full screen cover.

So my top 3 would be...
    1) Case
    2) Screen Protector
    3) Touchstone but not really needed, as I never really use it.
    Touchstone? If you were a long time Palm user, it's all the more reason to get one. I for one have always had a cradle for my Palm PDA, so the Touchstone is a must.

Birthdays, too bad Facebook B-days don't show up in calendar; but if you have birthday entries on your Gmail contact list, there is a "calender of interest" that you can add which consists of your contact birthdays.

As for the old calender & memo system, go homebrew, and download the two apps:
    ClassicNote & QuickEvent
    These two are simply must haves for good PIMs. Just note, your Palm Profile won't backup notes in ClassicNote.
    Quote Originally Posted by intellidryad View Post
    Touchstone? If you were a long time Palm user, it's all the more reason to get one. I for one have always had a cradle for my Palm PDA, so the Touchstone is a must.
    I agree -- the touchstone is the logical replacement for the Palm cradle and is a necessity.
    Quote Originally Posted by ging-ging View Post
    Well, after 6 months of waiting, 6 months of using a Blackberry (while waiting and anticipating), I became a first time Palm Pre Plus Owner today. Oh to come back to Palm, when the first Palm Pilot came out when 10-12 years ago?!?!

In any case, I love the Pre-- it's such an amazing phone. There are things from the old Calendar and Memo system I miss-- the color coding and categories were amazing, BUT have learned to work around that in just a few hours. By the way what an amazing thing that was for Palm to sync my Palm Desktop from my Treo to my Pre-- so cool!

So here is my question-- what would you all advice as the top 3 things to get for the Pre. I've been reading about the Touchstone is that a must? Any advice on a case?

Also, I was hoping that since it syncs to Facebook that the birthdays would sync to my calendar-- too hopeful maybe?

Well, the Pre is wonderful and I'm SOOO glad I didn't get the iphone, Storm or Droid-- this is the perfect phone for me!!!
    I believe the Palm Pilot was introduced in 1996 (I didn't bite then, too much money at the time, I eventually came on board when the Palm III came out).

Case
    I prefer not to use a case, and use skins instead. I've never had problems with cracking from the button or the USB port (though my cover fell off), and my suspicion is that this is in part because of the skin on the screen. I've had experience with PhantomSkinz and InvisibleSHIELD, both would be very good (others may be as well, but I haven't tried them See information about them below, but I think they're availble here on PreCentral as well. I don't know for sure if either company has made a new shield for the Plus (no button), but I don't think that will be a major deal, as I think on both of them, I had to remove the precut button hole.

Phantom Skinz - Clear Protection Film for Palm Pre
    ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | Palm Pre Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield

Color Coding & Calendars
    If you haven't done so, I recommend looking into Google Calendars. You can have multiple calendars which let you do your color coding, and have the added benefit of allowing you to give others access (for instance, I let my wife add events to my ACTIVITES calendar, but not my WORK calendar).

Facebook Sync
    You can sync the facebook birthdays to your Pre, but it's not an automated process. Basically, you export them, then import them. The process is covered here:
    http://www.precentral.net/quick-tip-...hdays-calendar

Top Three Things
    Though I touched on two of them, to answer your specific question here are my top three recommendations:
    1. Screen Protector Waiting until the screen is scratched or broken is waiting too long. Get a screen protector, even if you end up using a case as well
    2. Set up Google Calendars Even if you only use it for the "less important stuff", Google Calendars is almost a must have for the Pre. And, it's free.
    3. Touchstone This is one of those things that so expensive (and too expensive, in my view) that if you're anything like me, you'll keep finding reasons not to buy one. They really do come in handy. I keep mine by my bed so I can use the Pre as an alarm, and keeps it handy. I'll eventually get one for my car and desk at work as well (as soon as I quit finding reasons not to buy them)

Good to see you're havin fun with your Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by intellidryad View Post

Birthdays, too bad Facebook B-days don't show up in calendar; but if you have birthday entries on your Gmail contact list, there is a "calender of interest" that you can add which consists of your contact birthdays.

As for the old calender & memo system, go homebrew, and download the two apps:
    ClassicNote & QuickEvent
    These two are simply must haves for good PIMs. Just note, your Palm Profile won't backup notes in ClassicNote.
    Thanks dude, I did not know about the bday thing with Google Calendar.