Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Today I switched my carrier from Sprint to Verizon. I got a new Palm Pre Plus. I signed into my new phone and the old phone was deactivated immediately. My old phone doesn't have a signal anymore and the only screen I can get to is the "palm profile." I cannot log in since I don't have service. I cannot get into my old phone to get my documents, photos, etc, which is all stored on the Flash drive. I plugged the phone into the USB port on my laptop, and it installs the software, but the drive is not recognized at all. PLEASE HELP!! Sprint and Palm both have said too bad, its part of the security of the phone, but no one warned me I wouldn't be able to access the flash memory once the phone is deactivated. There has to be a way to access the flash memory. If the FBI wanted something off of it, I'm sure they'd be able to get it.
    Take it to your local Sprint or Verizon store... they may be able to log into it with a test Palm Profile and allow you to move the files from one Pre to the other.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    use a metadoctor to skip activation
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    use a metadoctor to skip activation
    That's right! I totally forgot about this tool.

Good call, I would try this.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  5.    #5  
    I do not have the phone activated. I switched from Sprint to Verizon, and do not want to activate it again. I brought it to Sprint and called sprint. They told me to go pound sand since I'm no longer a customer. How does the metadoctor work?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Have you tried the Orange + Sym + U keyboard shortcut with your phone plugged into your computer to put it into USB mode?
  7.    #7  
    Orange + Sym + U doesn't work. I can't get passed the palm profile screen.
    Pull the battery and hold down the volume key as you re-insert it to force USB mode ? (search this forum for exact details)
  9.    #9  
    Pulling the battery and holding down the volume key doesn't work either.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtrekx View Post
    Pulling the battery and holding down the volume key doesn't work either.
    You did remove the USB cable before doing this didn't you ?

All power must be off.
    1) Turn your Pre completely off. If you can't turn it off, remove the battery to kill it. If you have to take the battery out, leave it out until I tell you to put it back it.

2) Plug your Pre into the USB port on your computer.

3) Press and hold the volume up button. Do NOT let go of the volume up button until I tell you to.

4) Turn on your Pre. If you had to remove the battery, put it back in now.

5) Within a few seconds at most, (maybe instantly) you should see a large USB symbol that fills the screen of the Pre. Once you see that symbol, you can let go of the volume up button.

6) On your desktop run the WebOSDoctor.

That's it. The repair utility, even if you use the wrong one, CAN NOT brick your Pre.
    Bjarne Winkler
    ---------------------------------------------------
    ==> Pre: There's a patch for that!
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    WebOSDoctor wouldn't give him USB access it would erase the files if he used an older version but once it was done it would still ask to log in to palm profile.

I would have to go with Metadoctor to bypass activation then it should be good to use via Wifi and USB just no cell data
    Lesson learned. Backup phone before taking to store for ANY REASON.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    Jesman, I agree with you!

Palm supplies Palm Pre owners with this wonderful recovery tool called the webOS Doctor. Part of the charter of the WebOS Internals project is to ensure that anything we (or anyone following instructions we publish or installing packages we develop) do can always be reverted using the webOS Doctor.

Usually, a Palm Pre is required to be activated on the Sprint network before it can be used. This is not possible for a Palm Pre in Australia.

So we need to allow the Pre to be used without activation, and there are a number of information sources showing how this can be done. There are also some dubious sites that redistribute modified versions of the webOS Doctor (which is a clear violation of copyright law, since it contains proprietary Palm software). Note that WebOS Internals is always careful to comply with all copyright laws (copyright law is the foundation upon which open source licenses are based).

So we need a way for a Pre owner (who has the right to use the webOS Doctor on their own Pre) to modify the webOS Doctor that is specific to their particular version of the Palm Pre before using it to flash that modified firmware onto their Pre.

That’s where the WebOS Internals “Meta-Doctor” comes into play.

I have created a tool which will download, unpack, patch, and repack a webOS Doctor image, applying a number of transformations along the way to:

1.Bypass the need for activation
    2.Enable Palm Profile access
    3.Set developer mode on by default
    4.Increase the size of the /var partition to 2GB
    You can find this tool in the WebOS Internals source code repository at git.webos-internals.org Git - tools/meta-doctor.git/summary
    Bjarne Winkler
    ---------------------------------------------------
    ==> Pre: There's a patch for that!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjarne View Post
    1) Turn your Pre completely off. If you can't turn it off, remove the battery to kill it. If you have to take the battery out, leave it out until I tell you to put it back it.

2) Plug your Pre into the USB port on your computer.

3) Press and hold the volume up button. Do NOT let go of the volume up button until I tell you to.

4) Turn on your Pre. If you had to remove the battery, put it back in now.

5) Within a few seconds at most, (maybe instantly) you should see a large USB symbol that fills the screen of the Pre. Once you see that symbol, you can let go of the volume up button.

6) On your desktop run the WebOSDoctor.

That's it. The repair utility, even if you use the wrong one, CAN NOT brick your Pre.
    The USB symbol displays, however, the device driver does not install correctly on the computer. No drives appear under 'My Computer'.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    rj don't use WebOSDoctor if you're wanting to retrieve and keep the files on the USB partition use the Meta-Doctor that Bjarne posted above.

If you are just wanting to erase all from the drive altogether then WebOSDoctor would be the way to go. I would use version 1.2 or before because the later versions left the USB drive alone. After using WebOSDoctor the phone would still be unactivated and still want you to login to your Palm profile.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by jesmann View Post
    rj don't use WebOSDoctor if you're wanting to retrieve and keep the files on the USB partition use the Meta-Doctor that Bjarne posted above.

If you are just wanting to erase all from the drive altogether then WebOSDoctor would be the way to go. I would use version 1.2 or before because the later versions left the USB drive alone. After using WebOSDoctor the phone would still be unactivated and still want you to login to your Palm profile.
    I just want access to the USB media drive to get my files off. I'm not sure if these meta-doctors or webdoctors or buttdoctors will even do that, so I'm not even trying it. I've even stooped as low as re-activating the phone thru sprint, but as of 4 hours later, the phone still isn't activated.
    Wow what a bunch of BS it your Pre and you cant even use the non telephone features? That is awful, it could be used for wifi , mp3's etc....
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I think the Meta Doctor will allow that but it seems like it is a little bit of work now that I have searched it. But if you don't have service anymore and still want to use the pre for non-phone functions it would work. If it has been 4 hours I would call Sprint and get them going.
  20.    #20  
    Ok, I finally talked to a Sprint rep who actually spoke English and understood my problem. He called me back in 3 minutes with a fix. While in the palm profile screen, he had me hold down the orange key and tap # twice. That pulled up a temporary key pad. Then I dialed 306314# (I think), and after a few seconds, it pulled up my device phone number and an ID number. Had to enter my new phone number (had to reactivate my acount, but whatever - I'm cancelling it tomorrow) and a new ID and that was it. It connected to the data network and I was able to create a new palm profile. All my data and files were still on the media drive, and that's all I wanted. Thanks for everyone's help.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast