Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    when the screen is off, how are notifications? does that work well? (when pre is asleep)
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Please keep in mind that i test it only on WiFi connection.

I left my pre to sleep for nearly 4 minutes, then i recieved new IM msg, the Screen turns on with lock, then turned off automatically in 2 seconds. If you press on Power btn and while screen still locked there is no Notification appears, if u unlocked your pre screen also you will not see any Notification bar. also there is no Notification Reminder.

Note: (most times when pre asleep no notifications happened but when Pre powered and screen unlocked you get the delayed IM msg, i dont know if this is a bug or because of the Wifi Connection).

its better than Palm built in IM app, and with some updates and fixes may get better and better.
    If you want to connect to multiple IM sevices simultaneously(2 or more Hotmail) and wanna be invisible to others then go for it.
    mine froze on me

let me try again
    What's the advantage of IM+ over the built in IM functionality of the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    What's the advantage of IM+ over the built in IM functionality of the Pre?
    More IM services, such as msn and jabber
    Quote Originally Posted by angel12 View Post
    More IM services, such as msn and jabber
    Have you checked out the Homebrew Messaging plugins? I know the jabber and MSN clients are buggy but a new release is almost out. Take a look and they're free.

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...yahoo-icq.html
    I haven't used IM+ on the Pre but have used it on a BB and iPhone and it worked well. IM+ has been around many years on just about every platform.
  8.    #28  
    went ahead and purchased the app since they lowered the price to $2.99 not bad but def needs work, i like the layout but there is no sound for alerts and the alerts for new messages dont stay on the screen. I dont mind keeping the card open for the app but u have to keep your eyes peeled or you'll miss messages. and facebook chat support would be great too
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    IM+ is only $2.99 now, a steal.

It is working great on Jabber servers. Background notices also working.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    sorry, but without properly working notification (as in the notifications when the phone is in its inactive state goes one and STAYS ON like standard webOS notifications) then this app is a waste. i don't want to have to monitor the app to make sure that i don't miss messages.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    sorry, but without properly working notification (as in the notifications when the phone is in its inactive state goes one and STAYS ON like standard webOS notifications) then this app is a waste. i don't want to have to monitor the app to make sure that i don't miss messages.
    I leave mine on my touchstone most of the time, and it comes up over the lock, under the clock and stays there...is this not working for others, or not what you mean?
    i would buy it if it had Facebook chat.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    facebook is just jabber, make yourself a username if you haven't already, put in username@chat.facebook.com and your pass, wait about 2 min and you will be on, it won't take as long to login in the future.

it is basically the same thing I do for my custom jabber servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
    I leave mine on my touchstone most of the time, and it comes up over the lock, under the clock and stays there...is this not working for others, or not what you mean?
    i was referring to post #28 above by mksand28. are you seeing something different from what he's describing? mainly, i would expect the notification to work as it does with the built-in messaging app, that is:

1) if the phone is inactive and sitting on the touchstone, new msgs would show underneath the clock. your post confirmed that this is how it works, so i think we're good here.

2) if the phone is inactive and NOT sitting on the touchstone, new msgs would activate the pulsing button like the built-in messaging app does. can you confirm whether or not this is how IM+ works?

thx.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    There is a patch for facebook chat, it's pretty simple. Look for it in Preware or WOSQI.
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB View Post
    There is a patch for facebook chat, it's pretty simple. Look for it in Preware or WOSQI.
    yeah. i used it before. really bogged down the messaging app and the phone in general. contact search took forever because of that patch. Looking for a more acceptable way to do it without patching.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post

2) if the phone is inactive and NOT sitting on the touchstone, new msgs would activate the pulsing button like the built-in messaging app does. can you confirm whether or not this is how IM+ works?

thx.
    Will check this out during the day tomorrow for sure.

yeah. i used it before. really bogged down the messaging app and the phone in general. contact search took forever because of that patch. Looking for a more acceptable way to do it without patching.

I told you in reply
    ok I have now tested, if your phone is on standby with the screen off, and not on a charger and a message comes in it does the following:

It vibrates once just a soft 'bzzzzt' type vibrate, the SCREEN flashes on for a sec (not the gesture area lights). the LED does not stay on or blink etc like email does. If you turn the screen on the notice will be on the lock screen waiting.

I did have a few frustrating times today in a bad signal area it was very picky, kept disconnecting very regularly. I guess I'd rather it disconnect me than stay saying I am online to others on my list, but it was a bit of an annoying loop till I got a better signal.

I'd like to see improvements to the notifications, allowing double vibra alert, sound, and LED notices, but overall I am pleased for $2.99

I am going to have to buy it on my tour and not looking forward to that THIRTY FREAKING NINE dollars.

I don't mine dropping $9.99 for a good app, but 39 is just insanity. But when you need something, you need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
    ok I have now tested, if your phone is on standby with the screen off, and not on a charger and a message comes in it does the following:

It vibrates once just a soft 'bzzzzt' type vibrate, the SCREEN flashes on for a sec (not the gesture area lights). the LED does not stay on or blink etc like email does. If you turn the screen on the notice will be on the lock screen waiting.

I'd like to see improvements to the notifications, allowing double vibra alert, sound, and LED notices, but overall I am pleased for $2.99
    thank you! that's exactly in line with the description given by another poster earlier in the thread, which lead me to make the comment i made. will you be contacting the developer to let them know about this issue as well?

i'm going to do that and wait for it to be implemented first before i jump on board. i use a touchstone as well, but the phone is not always on the touchstone when i'm away from my desk, and having to turn the phone on just to see if i have messages is far from ideal.

thx again for the confirmation.
    With all of the newfangled teechnology many forget older solutions that sometimes might work better. Not sure about MSM but AIM and YIM both have option to connect using text messaging. Might work for some of you.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast