Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whippingboy View Post
    I've never owned an iphone but have used it- and it's wealth of options and intuitive menus make it a much easier phone for most "casual" cellphone users than the Pre. My wife is a huge palm fan- but HATES my pre for this very reason. She'd go to an iphone if it had a real keyboard and was on another network other than ATT- sad the keyboard thing will never happen.
    I just love this... "She'd go to an iPhone if it had a real keyboard..." So, in essence, you're saying that the iPhone is better, except it's not, because it doesn't have a real keyboard. And for some other people, it's better, except it's not, because it doesn't multitask. And for some other people, it's better, except it's not, because it has really obtrusive notifications that take over the screen and force you to drop what you're doing.

It's amazing to me how people can so easily say how great the iPhone is, _except for_ all those things that make the Pre better.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by churchwa View Post
    It is also not possible to read your email whist looking at the back of the phone. You really are being picky here. Try sliding the keyboard open, it is not like every time you use the the phone you have to copy a picture form a webpage.
    OR they can improve the OS by thinking about the little things...
    I fully expected an iPhone that looks like an iPhone and feels like an iPhone when I bought this stupid "Pre" dumbphone, and it's Palm's fault for disappointing me. It doesn't even have a home button that you can press to get to where your apps are! It's essentially worthless!

The features I need are ALL features this phone currently hasn't. ALL of them. Like a compass. Or widgets. They're mission critical. I also need all features the newest iPhone has because they're important. They were laughable missing details when the iPhone didn't have them, but now a phone without them is not a phone but a block of sheep's dung dried in the merciless sun of Morocco. Whatever the Pre does do is useless, who needs that stuff. Nobody uses multitasking anyway.

What I want is apps that are running as soon as I tap them - I don't want them start up then, I want them RUNNING. ALREADY. If 1.4 doesn't bring that, I'm jumping ship!!!! The Blogosphere says iPhone 4G will bring world peace, ship with 27 virgins of miscellaneous ethnic background ripe for the plucking, and have a processor that's faster than the speed of light. That's right. As soon as you take the iPhone out of your pocket and switch the screen on, the (one) app you wanted to run will already be running because you tapped it in the future and it came back to the past. It's that fast. I'm a busy man, I can't be waiting around for a second on end for Google Maps to load! How can I be expected to be an efficient worker if it takes FIVE SECONDS to start NFS Undercover? Wars have been ended, fortunes won and lost in less time.

Palm need to shape up and quick, or I'll have been right all along when I said Palm are going to die just any minute now back in 1998.

<edit> And what is that about not being able to change SMS ringtones? As a patriot, I want the entire national anthem to play every time I get an SMS. This is clearly the reason why people buy telephones. If they don't let you change SMS ringtones, they might as well not have given it a telephone radio. Freaks.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 01/27/2010 at 01:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    What I want is apps that are running as soon as I tap them - I don't want them start up then, I want them RUNNING. ALREADY.
    you actually gave yourself the answer to your problem. remember, the pre can multitask. leave the programs running, so they are already open. now when you click their icon, they open instantaneously.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    No because it's easier and more intuitive. It's similar to how you would do it on your PC/Mac.
    One man's intuitive movements are another's "huh".

Trust me, you will learn the new features on your new phone (which is not your Mac, your PC, or your iPhone) if you want to use them.
    I fully expected an iPhone that looks like an iPhone and feels like an iPhone when I bought this stupid "Pre" dumbphone, and it's Palm's fault for disappointing me. It doesn't even have a home button that you can press to get to where your apps are! It's essentially worthless!
    Man, you had me going there for a sec...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    The games and video camera are great and all, but I would like to see more advancements in the syncing tasks with google. Also, maybe I am missing something, but if you have a location (address) in your calendar, it would be nice to just click it have google maps pop up.

btw, does anyone know how to change the "snooze" on appointments, it defaults to 5 minutes and that just does not work for me sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    ahh, I didn't know this... I thought webkit was the an open source thing not done by corps.
    To say that Apple developed it is a bit misleading, and your assumption was closer to reality.

It started as a KDE project, then Apple forked the development into WebKit. Apple worked on their fork for quite some time before announcing it, so the much of the "fleshing out" was theirs. They later made it open source (in various stages in 2005), and it has since been extensively developed and improved upon by many groups.

The features I need are ALL features this phone currently hasn't. ALL of them. Like a compass. Or widgets. They're mission critical. I also need all features the newest iPhone has because they're important. They were laughable missing details when the iPhone didn't have them, but now a phone without them is not a phone but a block of sheep's dung dried in the merciless sun of Morocco. Whatever the Pre does do is useless, who needs that stuff. Nobody uses multitasking anyway.

What I want is apps that are running as soon as I tap them - I don't want them start up then, I want them RUNNING. ALREADY. If 1.4 doesn't bring that, I'm jumping ship!!!! The Blogosphere says iPhone 4G will bring world peace, ship with 27 virgins of miscellaneous ethnic background ripe for the plucking, and have a processor that's faster than the speed of light. That's right. As soon as you take the iPhone out of your pocket and switch the screen on, the (one) app you wanted to run will already be running because you tapped it in the future and it came back to the past. It's that fast. I'm a busy man, I can't be waiting around for a second on end for Google Maps to load! How can I be expected to be an efficient worker if it takes FIVE SECONDS to start NFS Undercover? Wars have been ended, fortunes won and lost in less time.

Palm need to shape up and quick, or I'll have been right all along when I said Palm are going to die just any minute now back in 1998.

<edit> And what is that about not being able to change SMS ringtones? As a patriot, I want the entire national anthem to play every time I get an SMS. This is clearly the reason why people buy telephones. If they don't let you change SMS ringtones, they might as well not have given it a telephone radio. Freaks.

You need a compass? What are you, a sailor? With all do respect if you need a compass for real work then get a real one. Why use one that's on a toy? Sounds to me like the Pre is not for you. Perhaps you should just go get an Iphone if that's really what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I just love this... "She'd go to an iPhone if it had a real keyboard..." So, in essence, you're saying that the iPhone is better, except it's not, because it doesn't have a real keyboard.
    I think what a lot of people don't seem to understand is that everyone of these "if it wasn't for..." posts mean that the Pre is a better device (for the person in question).

If you hate the calendar, but you still prefer the device over all others, that means the other features are good enough to overcome the calendar.

If you love the calendar but hate everything else, that means the calendar is good enough to overcome all of the other issues.

What is really funny to see that people don't get - the wide variety of "I don't like this, but I still like the device overall" means that Palm is doing it right. They are hitting things right on enough different aspects that users still like the device overall.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tripsbacks View Post
    You need a compass? What are you, a sailor? With all do respect if you need a compass for real work then get a real one. Why use one that's on a toy? Sounds to me like the Pre is not for you. Perhaps you should just go get an Iphone if that's really what you want.
    He was being sarcastic
    OR they can improve the OS by thinking about the little things...
    I don't want them turning WebOS into bloatware by making it do all of the little things that each nitpicky user that wants it to be "like something else" wants. I like the fact that Palm is doing things their own way. Making a plan for the system, and following the plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by tripsbacks View Post
    The poster was being sarcastic.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't want them turning WebOS into bloatware by making it do all of the little things that each nitpicky user that wants it to be "like something else" wants. I like the fact that Palm is doing things their own way. Making a plan for the system, and following the plan.
    They add little updates with each new firmware though that might annoy the average user:

Sprint Navigation or Google Maps can be launched from a Contact.

Notifications now work in landscape mode.

App Catalog downloads continue even after leaving the app's page

A track scrubber in Music

Text message forwarding

Custom ringtones for text messages

REdownloading an App for free

And there are a lot more...
    Quote Originally Posted by hsiegal30 View Post
    The games and video camera are great and all, but I would like to see more advancements in the syncing tasks with google. Also, maybe I am missing something, but if you have a location (address) in your calendar, it would be nice to just click it have google maps pop up.

btw, does anyone know how to change the "snooze" on appointments, it defaults to 5 minutes and that just does not work for me sometimes.
    Google has to release their API for tasks before WebOS (or any other sync packages) can sync to Google Tasks.

On the Calendar app, call up the event, downswipe top left, select Event Location, you'll be presented with two options - Show on Map and Get Directions. Both call up Google Maps, personally, I would prefer the second option be configurable, but at least you you'll be happy

I don't know where the snooze option is, but it's somewhere, because mine is 10 minutes.
    They add little updates with each new firmware though that might annoy the average user:

Sprint Navigation or Google Maps can be launched from a Contact.

Notifications now work in landscape mode.

App Catalog downloads continue even after leaving the app's page

A track scrubber in Music

Text message forwarding

Custom ringtones for text messages

REdownloading an App for free

And there are a lot more...
    Which of those do you find annoying?

I think those are good things. However, adding an additonal way to save a picture because another device does it that way I would call "bloatware".
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Which of those do you find annoying?

I think those are good things. However, adding an additonal way to save a picture because another device does it that way I would call "bloatware".
    These were MISSING features on earlier firmwares:

Imagining paying for an app each time you downloaded it?

Imagine not being able to forward a text message.

Imagine not being able to scrub through the song you were listening to

Imagine not being able to launch google maps after clicking an address

All these things would annoy me
  18.    #98  
    Hmm, wasn't really looking for a wishlist of tweaks and functions when I started the thread, more for potential possibilities with the new enabled functions. Oh well.

However, wanted to comment on the "intuitiveness vs bloatware" debate.

I always felt from day one that the Pre should have included a "Touch Interface Configuration Wizard." That way the touch screen can be set once (or reset if preferences change) and not be intrusive in day to day operation.

Basically, it would run through a series of interactive tests and you can select how you want produce certain actions with your touches.

For example:

Double-click in browser: You could either double-tap, tap+hold, or say, orange button+tap or gesture area+tap. You could choose either vs what's more comfortable for you.

Selection accuracy: Very precise all the way up to a little sloppy. This way people with fatter fingers can tweak a bit to improve clicking accuracy.

You get the idea. It's basically the same idea that Windows allows you to do with the mouse pointer. For such an advance device, having Palm dictate something that is so user dependent and users being forced to conform seems a bit archaic. Plus it doesn't allow for an leeway if someone has some sort of physical impairment that makes it trickier to perform an action the way the vast majority of users do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Hmm, wasn't really looking for a wishlist of tweaks and functions when I started the thread, more for potential possibilities with the new enabled functions. Oh well.

However, wanted to comment on the "intuitiveness vs bloatware" debate.

I always felt from day one that the Pre should have included a "Touch Interface Configuration Wizard." That way the touch screen can be set once (or reset if preferences change) and not be intrusive in day to day operation.

Basically, it would run through a series of interactive tests and you can select how you want produce certain actions with your touches.

For example:

Double-click in browser: You could either double-tap, tap+hold, or say, orange button+tap or gesture area+tap. You could choose either vs what's more comfortable for you.

Selection accuracy: Very precise all the way up to a little sloppy. This way people with fatter fingers can tweak a bit to improve clicking accuracy.

You get the idea. It's basically the same idea that Windows allows you to do with the mouse pointer. For such an advance device, having Palm dictate something that is so user dependent and users being forced to conform seems a bit archaic. Plus it doesn't allow for an leeway if someone has some sort of physical impairment that makes it trickier to perform an action the way the vast majority of users do.
    I could go for that! That's not really "bloatware". That's an application that would run through and change a bunch of settings one time. Sounds like a good idea to me.
  20.    #100  
    I could go for that! That's not really "bloatware". That's an application that would run through and change a bunch of settings one time. Sounds like a good idea to me.
    It's actually one thing I was shocked wasn't available way back at launch, at least in some form.

I think the Pre gets somewhat of a bad rap of being inaccurate when it's basically more a matter of it not being adjustable to the way people interact with the screen (tip of the finger vs the side, using a thumb, etc.) Well, that and the "drag buffer."
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast