Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Hey community,

I recently got myself a working dropbear ssh installation via Preware. I'd now like to experiment with ssh over evdo (the cellular network).

The problem is that all the documentation I'm finding to enable this refers to the old method of installing dropbear or openssh: novaterm ("root") into your phone, "wget" optware scripts, etc. etc.

The magic file in the old method was /etc/event.d/optware-dropbear. You simply un-commented a line in this file to allow the evdo connection. However, when you install dropbear via Preware (which is preferred), this file isn't located at /etc/event.d/.

So how then, after installing dropbear via Preware, is it possible to have dropbear listen on evdo as well as wifi?

Thanks in advance!
    There are two methods. You can download the old script (they simply renamed it), or you can install a trusted key pair. I haven't tried the latter, and probably won't until after WebOS 1.4

From my understanding, if you use the newer PreWare packages (downloading directly from PreWare), you have to use the key pair.

This is the method I used:

Get root access to the Pre, then issue the following commands:
    Code:
    cd /tmp
    wget http://gitorious.org/webos-internals/bootstrap/blobs/raw/master/optware-bootstrap-manual.sh
    chmod 755 ./optware-bootstrap-manual.sh
    sh optware-bootstrap-manual.sh
    source /etc/profile.d/optware
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    A trusted keypair only allows password-less login. And I have this part of it working over WiFi. But keys have nothing to do with allowing ssh over EVDO as well as WiFi.

The old command line method installs a bunch of stuff I don't need (OpenSSH), and makes a bunch of changes I don't want (opens port 222, etc.)

This isn't the answer I'm looking for.

Simply put, I would like to login to my Pre via ssh, over the cell network, as well as WiFi. I've installed Dropbear via Preware. It works over WiFi, but not the cell network.

I'll give you this: your solution works, but it makes a lot of changes I don't want.
    The old manual installation instructions are now deprecated in favour of installing OpenSSH directly from Preware and using the root account and secure ssh keys only.

Look in /etc/event.d/mobi.optware.* for the lines to enable cellular access.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The old manual installation instructions are now deprecated in favour of installing OpenSSH directly from Preware and using the root account and secure ssh keys only.

Look in /etc/event.d/mobi.optware.* for the lines to enable cellular access.

-- Rod
    As I said earlier (and in our chat), I probably won't try the newer method until after 1.4 comes out, but I am curious about a couple of things.

The OP mentioned not wanting to use Open SSH, and also not wanting to open port 222. Is the newer method not using Open SSH, and not opening port 222 for remote access?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    As I said earlier (and in our chat), I probably won't try the newer method until after 1.4 comes out, but I am curious about a couple of things.

The OP mentioned not wanting to use Open SSH, and also not wanting to open port 222. Is the newer method not using Open SSH, and not opening port 222 for remote access?
    As described in the OpenSSH package in Preware description and homepage link, the new method uses a root login with ssh keys only on the standard port 22. Both OpenSSH and Dropbear are supported, but OpenSSH is recommended (the setup is easier for it).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Has anyone been able to ssh over evdo on the Verizon Pre Plus? Wifi works flawlessly, but I can't seem to connect over evdo.