1.    #1  
    Ok im on my 3rd pre. My first one i killed by using the smart reflex patch and then installing another patch without rebooting after removing. My Fault. My 2nd pre though, i killed due to a glitch. When they say you can use all of your partition, they really mean all of your partition but you are allowed to use too much of it. Listen to my story. I had my palm pre, i copied over a 5GB iso file. Windows 7 ultimate.iso which took that and some pics/music, the storage of my phone up to 6 gigs. Now when NFSU and GLYDER came out, i installed these games and lots of other apps. While installing, it never warned me that i was getting close to max memory capacity. It let me install apps all the way up to 22k free space left. After i did this, the next few days my phone was unusuable. It kept complaining about internal memory error, not enough memory. A weird error i never seen before. So anyway after using it sluggishly and rebooting, i realized that it was out of memory. I plugged it in via usb, and deleted the Iso image. Instead of taking its time, it deleted instantly. So i unplug, and then after that, it was gone. It would come up, hang on the memory error and crash. Even though i deleted the 5GB file, I think it being able to write down to the nitty gritty and then deleting killed the hard drive. So im on my 3rd pre now. This is my tale. When they say you can use all of your memory, they really mean all of it. But palm, please put some kind of safety buffer so that when i get close to say 100mb left, warn me and force me to clear some memory, rather than get into a state where your totally useless.
    So, you filled up the device, the thing became unusable, tried to delete some information, still had problems, and you had to return it? How did you delete the Iso Image if the device was unusable?

Maybe you should consider separating your ideas so it's not a wall of text.
    Your post is hard to read. So filled up without any brakes.
    Try running windows or macos with 22k space left on systemdrive ;-)
    Seems to me all your 2nd Pre needs is a visit to the webOS Doctor. But please speak up if you tried and proved me wrong.

From my weak understanding of Linux, it, too needs virtual memory, so you need to leave some space for it to run. An issue I've never heard any OS that doesn't have except for PalmOS. (which actually saves data in RAM and never turns off; the NTFS models were another story...) Back in the days of webOS 1.2, just filling up the /var/ folder with apps (installing until the limit) would make the whole system slow and unstable, just like any out-of-virtual-memory system would act.

Now my guess is that you tried to delete that huge file from the Pre with your desktop. Your desktop OS somehow made you think it finished deleting but took it's time working slowly in the background. Now you came and unplugged it before the background processes are actually done. Thus you end up with a corrupt disk.
    Quote Originally Posted by intellidryad View Post
    Now my guess is that you tried to delete that huge file from the Pre with your desktop. Your desktop OS somehow made you think it finished deleting but took it's time working slowly in the background. Now you came and unplugged it before the background processes are actually done. Thus you end up with a corrupt disk.
    I'm with this possibility as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    I'm with this possibility as well.
    +1
    I third that.
    I also agree that it is a good idea to leave memory free. My rule of thumb with any drive is 10%. As long as you leave that much it will allow room to work with for swaps and the over installs. Just remember to check it once in a while. It would also be nice to at least have some warning on the phone that would pop up if you are getting close. Sounds like a good patch idea.

Update: Patch Request posted here.
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 01/26/2010 at 05:57 PM.
    mmmm I had all 8gigs used in my pre and nothing ever happened to. I took some videos out cause I needed more space for something else so yeah that's all you