1.    #1  
    So I went in to check out the Palm Pre Plus at my local Verizon store. I was taken aback when I discovered that they have the security device stuck right on the gesture area. It covers up part of the launcher icon, and basically the entire right half of the gesture area.

I told them that they might as well have put the security tag right in the middle of the screen because the gesture area is one of the key features that makes webOS as awesome as it is. Side note: they didn't have one stuck on the Droid, their flagship phone.

To the people who have seen the Palm Pre Plus on display: is this standard or just at my local store?

Also, you'll notice that web address I typed in. I have no clue why I went there. Everything Pre used to be (as in before the Pre came out) one of the sites I hit up for Pre-related news. But I haven't been there forever, and evidently neither has the webmaster, because it never gets updated. It doesn't matter anyway because I had .net instead of .com. Frankly, I tried this site but it wouldn't load (actually nothing would, because Verizon has evidently decided that the best way to show off the best web browser they offer is to not have the internet enabled) so I thought I'd try other sites.

Anyway, the Verizon girl said they actually thought a lot about it and that was the best location. I was just curious if anybody had any recommendations for where they can stick it (I have my ideas) because though I'm happy on Sprint, I was a Verizon customer for several years until the Pre, so I'm kind of tight with my local Verizon cats. Actually I just want this thing to sell sell sell so we get some nice apps.
  2.    #2  

http://www.twitpic.com/zw7il

That's what it looked like. I would have posted that with the first post but I didn't have enough posts.
    The verizon store near me didn't even have a real working model of the Droid in store (this was before 1/25 so no Pre+/Pixi+ either)

All their other phones were tied down to the displays, but all were on the back of the phone, never on the front. haha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    And why are you so concerned about this? LOL. I can't see the picture but if it is just a sticker and covers the gesture area, they probably could have opened up the back cover and stuck it behind or under the battery on the phone side (obviously not case side).
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Sounds like my Verizon store did it right because on both displays I was able to use the phone 100%. One display had the security device on the bottom but the other Pre had just had the phone tethered to a display. The phone feels really goon in my hands compared to my brick... aka... the Motorola Droid.

I'm really tempted to get a Pre Plus but ouch @ $600 (I don't want a contract). There is of course the one guy on Craigslist selling for $500 but... seems fishy.
    LOL, they may have done it to be the most "user friendly" but there is a huge security flaw since you can just detach the back cover and take the phone.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    its still usuable, the gesture area includes the entire area below the screen
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    its still usuable, the gesture area includes the entire area below the screen
    I know, I've had a Pre since June 6th. But as a right handed person (as most are) having a huge mound of plastic with a wire sticking out of it on the whole right side of the gesture area tends to ruin the usability.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by facetoface View Post
    LOL, they may have done it to be the most "user friendly" but there is a huge security flaw since you can just detach the back cover and take the phone.
    If only Palm had copied the iPhone's idea of a non-removable battery we wouldn't have this problem, right? Ha.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by statelypenguin View Post
    If only Palm had copied the iPhone's idea of a non-removable battery we wouldn't have this problem, right? Ha.

No one would buy the Pre because the battery would die really quickly, and you wouldn't be able to replace it.
    Quote Originally Posted by statelypenguin View Post
    I know, I've had a Pre since June 6th. But as a right handed person (as most are) having a huge mound of plastic with a wire sticking out of it on the whole right side of the gesture area tends to ruin the usability.
    You make it sound like they sell them that way!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveChelios View Post
    You make it sound like they sell them that way!
    They DO! That's exactly the point. Its not like they have another non-dorked, non-tethered model behind the counter for interested customers.

Maybe (probably) I'm making a bigger deal about this than it really is. But I just want a nice, smooth sale. Imagine if the Droid had the security thing over a few of the menu keys. It wouldn't fly. I feel that Verizon doesn't really give a damn about their Palm phones, and it bothers me.
    My V store had no security device on it yesterday, picked it up and compared it to my launch day Pre, not much difference in the slider action, keys raised and clickier.
    My local Verizon store had the security device attached to the back.

But I would not have had a problem with the phone in the photo. Maybe it is one time that being left-handed is an advantage.
    In my local VZW store, the Pre and Pixi were right near the front door, but the Pre 3G service wasnt activated. I told the VZW Rep and he said that they would enable it. Pixi was working fine.
    I stopped by a local Verizon store this evening and they had the Pre/Pixi in the back on a rack that totally made it look like it was an afterthought. There was no signage up and I had to ask a rep to even find them - to which I was told "they're over there" with a dismissive wave - it's a good thing I wasn't really looking for a phone or service, because I certainly wouldn't have purchased either from that location. haha

They had the Pre with the slider open and a zip tie (cable tie) holding it to the normal security tether. Because the zip tie was over the keyboard you couldn't use most of the keys, and you couldn't even open and close the slider.

It was far from an impressive display.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Palm should just ship stores a display model that has the back cover sealed/screwed to the phone.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I guess I was one of the lucky ones. The one at my local Verizon store was on the Touchstone and the only thing securing it was a security thing that seemed glued to the back of the phone. I had to alter how I held the phone slightly, but its usability was unaffected. I'd also like to mention there was no posters or anything of the kind for the phones, though they were on their own little table sort of thing.