Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    I did an informal check midday yesterday at several local Pre/Pixi dealers to try the get an idea what initial sales are.

I went to a Verizon Wireless store, a Best Buy, a Walmart, and a Costco.

My conclusion is that this was the softest opening I've ever seen.

The good news is that VZW had working demo units. They had exchanged one Pre Plus (I didn't check whether it was an upgrade or a QC problem). At least the VZW folks had been to training.

Walmart does not get new phones for a while. They had not heard of Pre or Pixi. Not unexpected.

Costco has a small wireless booth. Although one of thier carriers was VZW, they had not heard of them either. Not unexpected here either.

The bad news was Best Buy. They had 30 Pre Plus in stock but zero sales. Also zero ads.

Palm will be doing their own commercials. I hope they are better than the Tamara No Hope foolishness that Sprint did. Those were so bad they might end her career in advertising.

Apparently Palm is waiting for 1.4 or something later to start advertising.

How long can Palm fans (and Palm) hold their breath?

I guess we will find out.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Looking at how the launch how V has unfolded, it appears to have been designed as a very soft launch.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    The two Palm phones are lost in a sea of other, more heavily advertised Verizon smartphones - with more new phones on the horizon. Ouch!
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Looking at how the launch how V has unfolded, it appears to have been designed as a very soft launch.
    Considering VZW rumored to only have orderd 400k units, the launch fanfare (or lach thereof) was on par
    I'm a bit surprised by this as well, but my theory is two-fold.

First, Palm/Verizon are waiting for 1.4 to begin a push, perhaps because the performance and feature differences are that dramatic (one can hope, right?). Also, and related to my second point below, they want to see what Apple comes out with before positioning things. Of course, that assumes that they haven't even produced the ads yet, which is improbable to say the least.

Second, there's simply no point in advertising right now (and perhaps for a few weeks) given the Apple event tomorrow. I'd say that something approaching 100% of the industry buzz is around Apple right now, and everything else is simply lost in the noise. Or, will be lost once Apple makes their announcement and the world goes crazy over what's bound to be a glorified slate that's inferior in many ways to other Tablet PCs that have been on the market for years.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Another theory (postulated elsewhere in this forum, I think) is that Verizon only cares about upgrading Treo and Centro customers, which would also explain their rumored relatively smallish order of 400K units. If true, then obviously we'll not see the impact we'd hoped for with Palm getting on the Verizon network.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    my verizon store was selling like crazy
    lots of people looking in the boston store today. Also, there was a large pixi add at a bus stop billboard. The add said nothing about sprint or verizon, it just advertised the pixi.
    I just got back from the Verizon store after being dragged along by a friend who wanted to get a PrePlus. Guess what? They sold out yesterday (50 units) and will not have more until Thursday.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    with such a low key launch, selling out must signal a strong demand for it somewhere...
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    It seems somewhat similiar to the the Sprint opening, certain locations were out within minutes of opening their doors, other places had them in stock. I waited till noon on the 6th to get mine, ended up calling a few stores that were out and found one store about twenty minutes away which had plenty there. Walked in and half an hour later had a new Pre.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    I'm guessing that the stores that sold out had a manager or staffer that is a big Palm fan that either pushed (or "introduced") customers to the pres/pixis.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I just got back from the Verizon store after being dragged along by a friend who wanted to get a PrePlus. Guess what? They sold out yesterday (50 units) and will not have more until Thursday.
    Thanks for that. Guess I'm in a slow area.
    no commercial is a fact, so there is no surprise even if they sold zero unit.
    tried to convince my sister to get a pixi today, but she walked out with a curve. She liked the pixi, but has always had a blackberry and felt comfortable with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Which City is this?
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Another dynamic is that there might simply be pent-up demand for the Pre (and Pixi) from Verizon folks who've seen it on Sprint. I'm sure Verizon is aware of this demand if it exists, and they may just milk it for what they can before promoting it to the rest of the market.
    I started thinking that if Verizon gets the iPhone...perhaps there marketing strategy to show off that they would have THE BEST smartphone line up:

Storm II, Omnia II, Tour, TP II, Pre/Pixi, Droid, iPhone. plus some others. and all differently priced to match the smartphone market. But they have to wait till tomorrow, if its announced.

Just hope Pre/Pixi gets enough airtime as the others.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    I started thinking that if Verizon gets the iPhone...perhaps there marketing strategy to show off that they would have THE BEST smartphone line up:

Storm II, Omnia II, Tour, TP II, Pre/Pixi, Droid, iPhone. plus some others. and all differently priced to match the smartphone market. But they have to wait till tomorrow, if its announced.

Just hope Pre/Pixi gets enough airtime as the others.
    I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Palm will be doing their own commercials. I hope they are better than the Tamara No Hope foolishness that Sprint did.
    umm those were palms own commercials, sprint had nothing to do with them.