Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I am new to the forum, so please excuse the dumb questions, but here they are.

1. I am a Verizon customer and currently have a Palm Centro. I would like a Pre, but, what do I gain and what do I lose by switching from the Centro (I'm up for new every two).
    2. I don't like the idea of "cloud" computing, since someone else is then in charge of all my information.
    I've read about Chapura Echo and Companion Link USB. Does anyone have enough experience with both to recommend one over the other?

As mentioned I don't have a Pre yet, but can get a good online price from Verizon. I've also considered Droid, but they seem too tied to the Google cloud and I've always been happy with Palm products. I just have those couple of reservations. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks.
    Last edited by queueman; 01/26/2010 at 09:17 AM. Reason: punctuation
    My advice would be don't buy the Pre if you hate on the cloud. The phone is designed to work best via WiFi/3G sync....anything else would be a compromise.

That said I highly encourage you to make the leap. You are still "in charge" of your data when it's in the cloud and it's now available to you anywhere. For the best results migrate your data to a gmail or hosted exchange account.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    My Biggest disappointment going from the Centro to the Pre is the Pre Calender sucks. Not that the Centro was out of this world but I had datebk. Pre has ZERO calender options other than stock. KeyCAps is the only other thing I miss thanks to the developers here. If you like the Centro I would definetly look closely at the Pixi. Good Luck
  4. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by queueman View Post

1. I am a Verizon customer and currently have a Palm Centro. I would like a Pre, but, what do I gain and what do I lose by switching from the Centro (I'm up for new every two).
    2. I don't like the idea of "cloud" computing, since someone else is then in charge of all my information.
    I've read about Chapura Echo and Companion Link USB. Does anyone have enough experience with both to recommend one over the other?

As mentioned I don't have a Pre yet, but can get a good online price from Verizon. I've also considered Droid, but they seem too tied to the Google cloud and I've always been happy with Palm products. I just have those couple of reservations. Any comments would be helpful. Thanks.
    I upgraded from the Centro to the Pre, and I'm thrilled! The Centro was nothing compared to the Pre. Amongst many other pluses, my favorite features of the upgrade are the ability to multi-task, real bluetooth stereo that works without needing a separate battery-draining app, navigation without needing a separate GPS puck, html e-mail, and a full web browser (with flash support coming very shortly). I don't believe you give up anything by upgrading unless there's some app you loved from the Centro that you can't live without, and that's what the app Classic is for (to use Palm OS apps on the WebOS).

Regarding your concerns over cloud computing, if it's that you're worried about Google (for example) having access to your data, I understand that completely (although I do think that future is here already). I personally have a Google Apps Premier account, and I love it. I can access all my data via the Pre, via any web browser, and (which brings me to my third point) via Thunderbird (or one could use Outlook) on the PC. By using a computer based product such as Outlook, Thunderbird, etc., it's very easy to have a local back-up of all your data at all times if your primary cloud concern is losing access to your data.

The upgrade from the Centro to the Pre was a no-brainer for me, and you have the option (I'm on Sprint) of the Pre Plus to boot Go for it!
    My co-worker went from the Centro to the Pre... his biggest issue was not being able to assign shortcuts to programs by tapping certain keys on the keyboard.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts

I use Chapura Echo. It works fine. It recently added Memo and Task sync, but only with their version of App on Pre. The Pre apps are free, but Echo on PC costs money.

As for cloud computing, you are still in control. You decide what you put on there. If you worried about losing data, I think Echo is a good backup. Most of my contacts are still in my Palm desktop, but I am slowly moving towards Facebook, for a very simple reason, if all my friends are on Facebook, they can change their own contact information and I will get updates.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    I upgraded from the Centro to the Pre, and I'm thrilled! The Centro was nothing compared to the Pre. Amongst many other pluses, my favorite features of the upgrade are the ability to multi-task, real bluetooth stereo that works without needing a separate battery-draining app, navigation without needing a separate GPS puck, html e-mail, and a full web browser (with flash support coming very shortly). I don't believe you give up anything by upgrading unless there's some app you loved from the Centro that you can't live without, and that's what the app Classic is for (to use Palm OS apps on the WebOS).

Regarding your concerns over cloud computing, if it's that you're worried about Google (for example) having access to your data, I understand that completely (although I do think that future is here already). I personally have a Google Apps Premier account, and I love it. I can access all my data via the Pre, via any web browser, and (which brings me to my third point) via Thunderbird (or one could use Outlook) on the PC. By using a computer based product such as Outlook, Thunderbird, etc., it's very easy to have a local back-up of all your data at all times if your primary cloud concern is losing access to your data.

The upgrade from the Centro to the Pre was a no-brainer for me, and you have the option (I'm on Sprint) of the Pre Plus to boot Go for it!
    I guess my main concern is security, not that I work for the CIA or anything, but Google (or whomever) would have access to all my contacts and calendar events. There is a concern about losing data as well.
    If I'm reading your reply correctly, it is possible to have both Chapura and cloud. Have you tried Companion Link?
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    My co-worker went from the Centro to the Pre... his biggest issue was not being able to assign shortcuts to programs by tapping certain keys on the keyboard.
    I don't use the shortcuts, so that is not a big issue for me. Thanks for the reply.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    My Biggest disappointment going from the Centro to the Pre is the Pre Calender sucks. Not that the Centro was out of this world but I had datebk. Pre has ZERO calender options other than stock. KeyCAps is the only other thing I miss thanks to the developers here. If you like the Centro I would definetly look closely at the Pixi. Good Luck
    I've considered the Pixi, but the reviews mostly say for $50, you are better off with the Pre. My understanding is that the Pixi is slower and won't get flash as soon as the Pre. Thanks for your help.
    Both me and my wife were on centros (on sprint) and then I switched to the pre and my wife got the pixi and we haven't looked back once. The new webOS is in a whole nother league then the centro palmOS. I really don't even think about or notice that my contact stuff is out there. You really don't need to worry or think about that. It's all right there in YOUR phone and YOU have complete control over it. The huge advantage to it for me, is there have been a few times I have ran the webOS doctor on my phone (nothing wrong, just wanting to start from scratch) and I started up my phone, put my name and password in and it completely restored all my contacts, my email and all the apps I downloaded, so that's a really nice feature. If down the road you upgrade to a newer webOS phone all you gotta do is put in your info and it will download and restore alot of stuff to your phone.

I do like the form factor of my wifes pixi alot better, but it's not worth it to lose a bigger screen, wifi, better performance and 3d gaming.
  11. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    I guess my main concern is security, not that I work for the CIA or anything, but Google (or whomever) would have access to all my contacts and calendar events. There is a concern about losing data as well.
    If I'm reading your reply correctly, it is possible to have both Chapura and cloud. Have you tried Companion Link?
    I haven't tried Chapura or Companion Link because I have no need for them. Thunderbird (with free extensions for contacts and calendar) syncs with Google directly, and since the phone syncs with Google directly, my phone, PC, and Google are always in sync (for free!).
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    I don't know what the Pre calendar looks like. I know the Centro has day, week, month and the agenda format. Does Pre only show the day?
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I don't know what the Pre calendar looks like. I know the Centro has day, week, month and the agenda format. Does Pre only show the day?
    With the Pre you get day, week, and month; no agenda. Neither can you do a calendar search. You can however, combine multiple calendars into one view (google, yahoo, etc.). I am talking about an out-of-the-box Pre. There are apps for the agenda view and calendar search. Rumor has it that the 1.4 update will provide improvements to the calendar among other things.

P.S. You're absolutely right about the value of the Pre Plus over the Pixi Plus, you're getting MUCH more for just $50.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    The pre is not a 'palm product' in the traditional sense.
    For what it does, the Pre is good. web access, traffic thru google maps.
    It really depends on if the functionality meets your needs.
    I was a palm OS user, but those days are gone.
    no tasks, no memos. slow/sticky interface.
    forced updates that screw up (& lose data).
    limited programs available. "they will write programs" When?
    I know several die hard palm users who went elsewhere (droid, ) and are very happy.
    Skip the Pre. I will be looking elsewhere for my next phone.

But this is my opinion. Yours may vary.
    Last edited by vetmx1; 01/30/2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: one add on
    The "cloud" doesn't have to mean using a big public provider - the Pre will sync with your own Exchange server or pretty much anything which is DAV compatible. There's no reason why you shouldn't use cloud facilities on a private infrastructure to get the best of both worlds.
    I don't mean to sound condescending on this, but I see this "concern" a lot.

Do you really think that a group that turned itself into a multi-billion $$ company starting off as a search engine on the internet, needs to trick you into giving up your contact's information to them?

As far as backing up your data, Google contacts can be exported.
    I've considered the Pixi, but the reviews mostly say for $50, you are better off with the Pre. My understanding is that the Pixi is slower and won't get flash as soon as the Pre. Thanks for your help.
    I agree with that assessment. Ironically, my wife (the Centro owner in the family that recently bought a Pixi) did not. She still does not. She likes the bigger screen on my Pre, but still prefers the smaller, thinner, Pixi overall.

Go figger.
    All of the above (though not as well detailed) except the agenda view. There is a HomeBrew app, very imaginatively named Agenda that will give you that.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Thanks. If I get a Pre I would also get Echo.
    Last edited by queueman; 02/10/2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: to add quote