Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by blatherdrift View Post
    Palm did give us a choice. We have the option.
    Don't just say things just to say them, you know what I mean. It should come stock. More than likely they will give us this option in the future. I have mine tweaked but people that don't want to do it really shouldn't have to just to get it to blink.
    Some people are just afraid of the big, bad patch monster. I can understand that, though I don't share the fear.

There are very few times when I agree with people who say "It should have done [xxxxx] out of the box" I feel that the phone does everything I was told it would do "out of the box" and now with patches it does more.

However, this is one of those few times. The patch only "un-comments" code that was already there. I have never had an issue with the notifications, so I don't think there are any bugs waiting to be ironed out. It seems silly to take the time to write the code, but never allow for it's use without patching.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  3. o14
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    What kind of a comment is that? This makes no sense. I've been on every platform and I've hacked and tweaked them all, but not everyone finds this fun or necessary. The simple fact is that Palm should give us on option to have blinking notification or not. If the battery takes a hit then that should be the users choice.
    From a company's perspective, it shouldn't be a user's choice. If battery takes a hit, users will complain without realizing why their battery is taking a hit. Their phone will get negative feedback and they will lose sales. The fact is you'll have a lot more negative feedback over bad battery life than abscence of a notification light. Apple goes this method all the time.
    I don't know why the code was commented out but the patch works fine and I can't see any issues using it. Perhaps at the time they weren't suer if they were going to have a light at all (since the button was taken away) so they opted not to include in their official releases to keep parity amongst webos users
    Quote Originally Posted by jmkjmk View Post
    From a company's perspective, it shouldn't be a user's choice. If battery takes a hit, users will complain without realizing why their battery is taking a hit. Their phone will get negative feedback and they will lose sales. The fact is you'll have a lot more negative feedback over bad battery life than abscence of a notification light. Apple goes this method all the time.
    I agree with this comment but the code is there for it. I think that in this case they are just waiting to see how things play out before they let people use it. When the Pre first came out, they said to save battery, turn off GPS, Bluetooth, turn down brightness, and some other. Now all they have to do is add "Blink Notifications" to the list. I've been using the blink notifications and there isn't any noticeable battery drain because of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by blatherdrift View Post
    I don't know why the code was commented out but the patch works fine and I can't see any issues using it. Perhaps at the time they weren't suer if they were going to have a light at all (since the button was taken away) so they opted not to include in their official releases to keep parity amongst webos users
    Yeah, the patch is outstanding. I keep my phone on Vibrate at work and can't always feel it. This helps a lot.
  7. o14
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    I agree with this comment but the code is there for it. I think that in this case they are just waiting to see how things play out before they let people use it. When the Pre first came out, they said to save battery, turn off GPS, Bluetooth, turn down brightness, and some other. Now all they have to do is add "Blink Notifications" to the list. I've been using the blink notifications and there isn't any noticeable battery drain because of it.
    Ya, I use it too and there seems to be some battery drain due to it when it's going off for hours...but still nothing too bad, at least in this WebOS version. I would agree, that they could probabaly just throw it on their list of things to save battery, and that should be good enough now. Who knows, maybe there's something else? Nothing on my phone seems affected by it though.
    Ladies and Gentlemen... I give you How to install blink notifications on your Palm Pre in under 1:20. I just threw it together really quick. There is no sound but it really is not necessary. I hope this helps some people.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12