1.    #1  
    OK so having survived the learning curves on the Treo 600, 650, and 680; I eagerly awaited the release yesterday of the new Palm Pre Plus.

I quickly learned the old Hotsync is gone and replaced now with Palm Synergy which appears to me to simply be a forced migration to Google Mail if I want email, contacts, and calender synchronization. I'm willing to go through that process of exporting all my contacts etc. from standalone outlook if that works best long term, but what bothers me is that it appears to me my email address will need to change to a Gmail account.

I see there are a couple of 3rd party add-ons e.g. Chapura or Campanionlink that give me the old sync to Outlook...but does anybody have any experience with any of them?

Any consensus on what works and what doesn't?
    I tried Echo and CompanionLink and bought CompainionLink. I wanted to be able to continuing using my old Palm desktop. CompanionLink will sync between Palm desktop and Google (calendar and contacts is all I use). Then you set your Pre to sync with Google. I works for me.

EDIT: I don't use Outlook.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by indecnprop View Post
    ..., but what bothers me is that it appears to me my email address will need to change to a Gmail account....
    Actually you do not. You will need to create a google account and that is where you can store contacts, calendar, etc. You can maintain your normal email account. This is exactly what I do, I have a hotmail account that I have had for years and that is still my email account. I use a google account (that I don't check email on or even use for email) that contains all my contacts and calendar. Plus links to other calendars, etc....

The OS is very customizable when talking about the email/messaging/calendar/contacts applications and which account(s) they see and use.

I highly recommend asking questions instead of pointing out "faults", you may find responses to be more helpful and less sarcastic.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    You can use just about any email account with you Pre, you can use Google calender to sync with your stand-alone Outlook, and Soocial can sync Outlook contacts and Google contacts. This allows you to make changes in Outlook and never touch Google, but your info will sync to your Pre through Google. No need to stop using your stand-alone Outlook.

There's no way to sync tasks and memos though unless you buy one of the 3rd party add-ons you mention.

You could also buy a personal Exchange account, but that costs money, about $10/month.
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    Actually you do not. You will need to create a google account and that is where you can store contacts, calendar, etc. You can maintain your normal email account. This is exactly what I do, I have a hotmail account that I have had for years and that is still my email account. I use a google account (that I don't check email on or even use for email) that contains all my contacts and calendar. Plus links to other calendars, etc....

The OS is very customizable when talking about the email/messaging/calendar/contacts applications and which account(s) they see and use.

I highly recommend asking questions instead of pointing out "faults", you may find responses to be more helpful and less sarcastic.
    I also use hotmail as my primary email account, but I duplicate my email on gmail because I find that it works better for me for pushing on the Pre.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks....I hadn't anticipated several quick reply's!

I'm obviously a Palm supporter and just trying get this part up and working for me without spending weeks. I never really used the Palm Desktop...probably more of a function of being in a corporate environment more then anything else. The only real sync I would be looking for is contacts, calender, and email. Task and Memos would be a bonus...but I don't use them normally.

I never really considered a personal email exchange....but I may look into that. From looking at the Companionlink website, I'm not sure it works to sync Outlook (only Palm Desktop).

Thanks for the feedback!
    Companionlink will work with Outlook and the Pre just fine (I won a free copy a few months ago). However I highly suggest you look into a hosted exchange account. If that covers your needs it really is going to be the most convenient and easy solution.
    HI,
    does anybody know how I can sync my gmail task list with the palm pre plus?
    Quote Originally Posted by twalsh View Post
    HI,
    For Google tasks your only option is a 3rd party solution at this time and it's not that great. Problem is Google...they don't have an API for it yet.
    Can you recommend a third party solution just for tasks that i can put on my desk top or access from a server like g-tasks or gmail. Thanks for the reply, its been driving me nuts, i just saved my task list in my draft folder of my gmail account and access it that way. i need a better solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by indecnprop View Post
    I quickly learned the old Hotsync is gone and replaced now with Palm Synergy which appears to me to simply be a forced migration to Google Mail if I want email, contacts, and calender synchronization. I'm willing to go through that process of exporting all my contacts etc. from standalone outlook if that works best long term, but what bothers me is that it appears to me my email address will need to change to a Gmail account.
    There's no such thing as 'standalone Outlook' if Outlook is handling your e-mail. Outlook has to be pulling e-mail (or having it pushed) from some mail server or other... Just go into Preferences and Accounts on the Email menu of the Pre's e-mail client and tap Add An Account at the bottom, then enter the same server details you've got set up in Outlook. Voila. The same e-mail address that's used by Outlook is now sync'd up to your Pre.
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    HI,
    Google has not released an API for GTasks yet, nothing (that I know of) syncs with it.
    Can you recommend a third party solution just for tasks that i can put on my desk top or access from a server like g-tasks or gmail. Thanks for the reply, its been driving me nuts, i just saved my task list in my draft folder of my gmail account and access it that way. i need a better solution.
    Get Outline Tracker (Outline Tracker Features) and set up a free account with Basecamp (Project management, collaboration, and task software: Basecamp) They don't really push their free account, but you can find the link here https://signup.37signals.com/basecam..._utmk=10588340