1.    #1  
    I have an iPhone. What I hate most about it is the obsession to always be connected to the net. If I'm out of range the phone is practically useless. Synching is basically all about the cloud. The only thing that you can sync to the desktop is contacts and dates plus media files such as music and video. Data files require wireless connections and storing apps with desktop clients is mobile crucifixion.

I just read that Palm decided to do the same with Web OS and that Outlook synch isn't standard because it's all about synching to the cloud. Bad, bad, bad idea. So I'm coming to the conclusion that:

1) All my synch over cable will require third party apps, e.g. Chapura which means more $$$$ to spend to get the simplest thing done.

2) Am I to expect most of my apps having desktop clients meaning a web interface for data entry with sync via "the cloud?" This is terrible. On the iPhone you're talking about paying each provider an annual fee for hosting your data to make it available on the cloud.

3) If the answer to 2 is yes, I'm then worried about the usual issues. The few companies providing solutions are outsourced meaning much of my personal data may reside on a server far, far away.

4) If the answer to 2 is yes it also means that offline usage is going to be a serious PITA. I ride in a train system every day. Blackberry at least stores data on the device and has desktop clients more often than others and syncs via cable with them. My reading seems to connect webos more to iphone and mobileme. This would be far less than ideal...

Thanks in advance for comments. This area is a real decision maker for me and I want to like the Pre Plus.
    Desktop sync is dead. Cloud gives you the most options and flexibility.

All your data is stored on the Pre for those times you don't have a network connection. Put your data in a Gmail or Hosted Exchange account and you will not have any cloud related issues.
    [QUOTE=ryleyinstl; Put your data in a Gmail .[/QUOTE]

i have been trying to sync that exact thing but for some reason its not updating like i think it should (when i hit sync it does not update to my gmail account what i just put in)
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    have you tried waiting some time before checking again?
    I really like synching with the Cloud. When I bought my Pre I went onto Google and opened a free GMail account, which took seconds. I then ported all of my contact info to their address book. I also started using Google calendar.

The benefits?
    1. I can access my information online or on my phone.
    2. I don't have to worry about when I last backed up because it is always backed up.
    3. If Google's Server crashes the data is still on my phone.
    4. My family can share my calendar. I have two separate calendars of data that I can view/edit. One is personal items that my family can't see (i.e. business related items,oil changes, etc.) The other my family can logon and add items (i.e. Birthdays, vacation, recitals, etc.)
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    This is my only issue. If any on the cloud sync options synced notes and tasks plus contact notes, I would not have such a problem, thus I will likely be using a sync option like Chapura's or The Missing Sync or Companion Link.

I also am going to use ZumoDrive for cloud file storage. Free to 2 gigs.

Can't see anything else I will want to have.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard Jr View Post
    i have been trying to sync that exact thing but for some reason its not updating like i think it should (when i hit sync it does not update to my gmail account what i just put in)
    The e-mail and contacts sync separately. I think the contacts are updating every 15 minutes? Check the Palm change log for that info. You can force a contact sync manually via the contacts app.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Desktop sync is dead. Cloud gives you the most options and flexibility.

All your data is stored on the Pre for those times you don't have a network connection. Put your data in a Gmail or Hosted Exchange account and you will not have any cloud related issues.
    Wireless sync is not better. Assume that wireless isn't an option.

1) I hate it when anyone tells me they know what's better for me than the obvious (not directed at you). Why am I being forced to use wireless sync if I don't want my sensitive data anywhere?

2) At work wired sync is a must, no wireless. There is no other choice.

3) As I said in #1, I don't want to be forced to have my data all over the planet, which may include ASps that aren't as "secure" as T-Mobile (if you read the news)

4) If the phone is dead but I do have a laptop, why must I have wireless on my laptop? What if I'm traveling? On a train out of range? Out of the country?

5) Why am I spending money on an Exchange account and hosting instead of just having Outlook on my PC??? Why do I need to give Google the remaining data it doesn't have about me?

6) With wireless sync, as I said before, why do I have to pay every application provider on my phone money to host a web interface because I can't have a simple desktop client that syncs to my PC? With 10 apps, you're paying 10 providers money to host 10 desktop web interfaces who may also be in some foreign location.

PS - If you own an iPhone, you may learn quickly about hating the cloud on many levels although some prefer it for the uses that work for them.
    ^^ I think perhaps you have some misconceptions about storing your data in the cloud.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 01/26/2010 at 09:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    This is my only issue. If any on the cloud sync options synced notes and tasks plus contact notes, I would not have such a problem, thus I will likely be using a sync option like Chapura's or The Missing Sync or Companion Link.

I also am going to use ZumoDrive for cloud file storage. Free to 2 gigs.

Can't see anything else I will want to have.
    Outline Tracker allows you to sync Notes and Tasks to the cloud with a free account through Basecamp from 37Signals - Outline Tracker Features & Project management, collaboration, and task software: Basecamp
    The Pre is all about the cloud. If you have issues with it, you might not like it. You can edit your contacts via Google or Outlook (your PC side) and they will sync OTA but again, it is not a wired solution.

If you're not about the cloud, you might as well stay with your iphone.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    1) I hate it when anyone tells me they know what's better for me than the obvious (not directed at you). Why am I being forced to use wireless sync if I don't want my sensitive data anywhere?
    I don't think anyone is telling you what is better for you or that you are forced to sync to the cloud. I do think that syncing to the cloud is becoming more common and smartphone technology is headed in that direction.

If that is something you are not comfortable with you still have options like Blackberry. Obviously the newer web-centric smartphones like Palm WebOS are not for you.
    Your sensitive data is already everywhere if you have done any of the following;

-Filed a tax return
    -Bought a house
    -Started a business
    -Been an executive of a public company
    -Worked for the government in any capacity
    -Applied for a drivers license
    -Applied for a passport
    -Applied for a SSN
    -Had a background check performed by an employer or anyone else for that matter
    -Applied for life insurance
    -Been admitted in a hospital

The point is that anyone with the right skills and tools can easily dig up much more sensitive data on you than what you should store in your PIM data.

If you are one that is in the habit of putting things like SSN's in contact notes then that is probably a practice to avoid. I recomend using a secure data / password manager for all of your identity theft type data. There are several such programs available for WebOS that use blowfish encryption and do not sync with the cloud or anywhere for that matter.

As others have pointed out, the cloud is the future. It is still possible to resist it for now but in a few years it will pretty much be impossible.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Wireless sync is not better. Assume that wireless isn't an option.
    If wireless is not an option, this is likely not the phone for you. This phone is designed for the cloud.

You're not being forced, you're choosing the device. I can't buy a boat, and complain that it doesn't drive down the highway.

2) At work wired sync is a must, no wireless. There is no other choice.
    For those, there are add-on applications that take care of the problem.

3) As I said in #1, I don't want to be forced to have my data all over the planet, which may include ASps that aren't as "secure" as T-Mobile (if you read the news)
    Again, then this is probably not the phone for you, but there are add-on applications that let you get around that.

4) If the phone is dead but I do have a laptop, why must I have wireless on my laptop? What if I'm traveling? On a train out of range? Out of the country?
    You can come up with "what if" scenarios for all kinds of situations. For instance, old method, what if I'm at Grandma's house and my Treo goes dead, how do I access my information? It's all on my computer back home. The point is, this phone was designed differently. You can buy add on applications that will make it work more like what you're used to, but that's not what it was designed to do, so it will cost you extra.

5) Why am I spending money on an Exchange account and hosting instead of just having Outlook on my PC??? Why do I need to give Google the remaining data it doesn't have about me?
    Along those lines, why was an add on program like Exchange supported for free? Why did Palm not support my GroupWise. Why restrict it to Microsoft? The answers and whining could go on forever. It is what it is. You can learn how to use it to fit your needs, or you can find a phone that does fit your needs.

6) With wireless sync, as I said before, why do I have to pay every application provider on my phone money to host a web interface because I can't have a simple desktop client that syncs to my PC? With 10 apps, you're paying 10 providers money to host 10 desktop web interfaces who may also be in some foreign location.
    I don't pay any web providers. I have a free Gmail account, a free Google Apps account (with my own domain), a free BaseCamp account. If you don't want any of these free solutions, there are several paid applications that you can use to sync locally.

PS - If you own an iPhone, you may learn quickly about hating the cloud on many levels although some prefer it for the uses that work for them.
    Maybe that's one of the reasons most of the folks on this use a Pre...
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    heres the thing about the pre. yes it has cloud syncing. its through gmail and palm. if u want a desktop client that is wired then all u have to do is buy one for a one time fee. They have programs that allow you to sync to outlook very simply. as far as ive seen there are no monthly fees. And all the info is stored device side so no internet no problem your calender is still there and so are your contacts. hope this helped
    Sanyo basic Flip phone- Moto Krazer- Moto Razer2- Palm Pre
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If wireless is not an option, this is likely not the phone for you. This phone is designed for the cloud. You're not being forced, you're choosing the device. I can't buy a boat, and complain that it doesn't drive down the highway. For those, there are add-on applications that take care of the problem. Again, then this is probably not the phone for you, but there are add-on applications that let you get around that.
    In other words, every phone now made by Palm has forsaken the way every Palm device in the past has worked... Remember that I'm a long time Treo owner and this is the first time that my long time manufacturer has told the customers that I'm going to have to sail another way because they think it's smarter. Removing something as stupidly simple as the wired sync option for no other reason than to educate us all on how they think we should work and parrot everything Steve Jobs does. Bad idea. You're right. I and 99% of the rest of the market may decide that Palm's short sighted decision may compel me to choose other hardware.

You can come up with "what if" scenarios for all kinds of situations. For instance, old method, what if I'm at Grandma's house and my Treo goes dead, how do I access my information? It's all on my computer back home. I can also tack on the need to sync with the wire at work (very common) and is frustrating with the iPhone. Yes, perhaps you can buy add on applications that will make it work more like what you're used to, but that's not what it was designed to do, so it will cost you extra. I wonder what else won't work like it used to and what developers are doing.
    These aren't "what if" situations after contingencies. They happen every day. Anyone who owns an iPhone in a major metropolitan area and commutes where there isn't coverage is frustrated if they moved from a Blackberry to an iPhone for good reason. Regarding add-ons... perhaps you're right. But what consumer wants to pay a few hundred extra just to get the phone to work with the same system like you used with Palm's last phone? And it's my decision whether I want anyone to have data on their servers or just keep it at home.

Along those lines, why was an add on program like Exchange supported for free? Why did Palm not support my GroupWise. Why restrict it to Microsoft? The answers and whining could go on forever. It is what it is. You can learn how to use it to fit your needs, or you can find a phone that does fit your needs.
    Groupwise? I'm talking about the numerous people who just have Outlook and get their mail. There are millions. It's not corporate adoption it's the decision of a single person to do a simple task they have done for years with their Palm device.

I don't pay any web providers. I have a free Gmail account, a free Google Apps account (with my own domain), a free BaseCamp account. If you don't want any of these free solutions, there are several paid applications that you can use to sync locally. Maybe that's one of the reasons most of the folks on this use a Pre...
    99% of the population has no clue what Base Camp is. What's even dumber is that if I'm going to be a Google android and have my life revolve around Google Apps, I might as well get a Google phone instead of using a Pre. The issue is the rest of the population not using Google calendar, apps and everything else to run their lives. This strategy is absurd.

Wow. The post by that other person who says he can't understand Palm's strategy is dead on accurate. I came here wanted to hear all the great things I missed since the launch about 7-8 months ago. Instead I've found out that Palm's missteps are even greater. Many of the good things my last Treo did are gone. So if I use Google for lots of things in my life, I can either choose a device made by Google or the Google Android killing Palm Pre Plus.

Yeesh. I don't want to sound disrespectful to those of you this phone works for but I'm even more on the fence now about where Palm will be by year's end and my investment in a two year contract with this phone.
  17.    #17  
    Further research indicates that WebOS is cloud only. Third party solutions only cover certain designated situations.

I use the iPhone. For those of you who haven't, boy are you in for a surprise if WebOS works the same way. When someone actually writes apps for WebOS you're going to have to use WiFi to sync anything. Impossible at work. A total PAIN if you're at home and just want to stick that Palm onto the dock, charge, and sync wired. Needless expenses as you have to pay every single application provider who is storing your data on his server because you can't simply do the same and store it on your PC. It's all the reasons I want to get rid of the iPhone and looked at the Pre Plus.

Guys - I really appreciate your input. At this point, I think you're right. The Pre Plus is unfortunately not the Palm I knew and I don't really have faith in this device right now. For me, it looks like Blackberry is safe and possibly Android, which I don't care to use but might be a solution. There is always Windows Mobile which has a better chance of being in the marketplace when it comes out later this year. Thanks for the conversation. I do appreciate you helping me understand what WebOS is more than just the functionality you see in the store. I'm sure you'll all enjoy your Pres, a pretty cool phone, and thanks again.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Even though I am a Pre owner and will make it work because I love the multitasking and elegance of the Pre, I completely understand hinky's perspective. I would be all for the cloud if the functionality went with it, ie tasks, notes, notes for contacts, in addition to calendar and contacts which native apps seem to do.

I use my Pre a lot, but I am also at my desk a lot, and when I am at my desk, I want to work on my computer in Outlook.

The Pre can do this, wish it was native, but I am ok with an app solution. I will be checking out Pocket Mirror, Companion Link, The Missing Sync as well as the recently mentioned Outline Tracker and BaseCamp and come to a decision.

If you believe the cloud is our future and you are Palm, I still think it is short sided to not offer native sync to the literally millions of Palm customers who just might turn to cloud thinking eventually but need a bridge to get there.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s