Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Are we ever going to get text completion on the Pre? It was so nice on the 800w. I can't believe we have regressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by srichman View Post
    Are we ever going to get text completion on the Pre? It was so nice on the 800w. I can't believe we have regressed.
    If it ever gets put on I hope they leave a way to disable it, I like not having it -- to me, it makes typing more difficult.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    If it ever gets put on I hope they leave a way to disable it, I like not having it -- to me, it makes typing more difficult.
    I agree with that. And while we're at it, where's voice dialing. I had it on my 800w.
    I dont understand whats the big deal with the voice dialing? Everyone wants voice dialing. I ahve had it on other phone in the past and never used it. Im not that lazy that i cant type the name of the person i want to talk to and push send. I just dont get it.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    While not the same as text completion, there is a way to edit the auto-correct list. For instance, you type "idk" and out comes "I don't know."
    kunedogg,
    for me, voice dialing is a big deal for when I'm using a bt headset in the car. with my last phone, a $20 pos from VirginMobile, voice dialing could be activated from the headset. so if i was making a call while in the car, I wouldn't need to fish my phone out of my pocket or take my eyes off the road. only one hand was occupied and only for the 2 seconds it took to push the call button on the headset.

it's not about laziness. for me, it's about efficiency. some would even argue, for the scenario above, it's about safety.

i'm sure others have other reasons. in general, it just seems absurd that a top of the line smart phone can't do something that any old, rinky dink, off the shelf, bare bones phone can do.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imekul View Post
    While not the same as text completion, there is a way to edit the auto-correct list. For instance, you type "idk" and out comes "I don't know."
    How do you do this? (Of course the problem with this feature is that you have remember the abbreviations, which is a pain.)
    there is a 3000 wordlist you can patch in. It also gives you access to the word erplacement thing I believe. I never checked it out.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blatherdrift View Post
    there is a 3000 wordlist you can patch in. It also gives you access to the word erplacement thing I believe. I never checked it out.
    I am unaware of this feature. Does Palm discuss it anywhere? How does one get at it?
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Here's a link to a program that let's you do it: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...tocorrect-edit

When I was using the Pre, I just manually copied the auto-correct file from my Pre to my computer and edited it with a text editor. But I'm kind of a power user when it comes to that, so I may need more shortcuts than your average bear.
    Quote Originally Posted by imekul View Post
    Check the HomeBrew listings, there's a HomeBrew app that will let you do that, or you can edit the file directly.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...it-7-28-a.html

If you get root access to your phone, you can edit the following file:

/etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/text-edit-autoreplace
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet_funk View Post
    kunedogg,
    for me, voice dialing is a big deal for when I'm using a bt headset in the car. with my last phone, a $20 pos from VirginMobile, voice dialing could be activated from the headset. so if i was making a call while in the car, I wouldn't need to fish my phone out of my pocket or take my eyes off the road. only one hand was occupied and only for the 2 seconds it took to push the call button on the headset.

it's not about laziness. for me, it's about efficiency. some would even argue, for the scenario above, it's about safety.

i'm sure others have other reasons. in general, it just seems absurd that a top of the line smart phone can't do something that any old, rinky dink, off the shelf, bare bones phone can do.

I see your point but also about the safety. Should you really be on the phone while driving? On a BT or not. Its really not safe to drive and talk on the phone. Dont get me wrong I talk while driving. I even type on my laptop while driving. Im my eyes i dont see the voice dialing that big of a deal.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Check the HomeBrew listings, there's a HomeBrew app that will let you do that, or you can edit the file directly.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...it-7-28-a.html

If you get root access to your phone, you can edit the following file:

/etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/text-edit-autoreplace
    A phone like the Pre should not require such under-the-hood operations.
  14. o14
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    To edit the actual dictionary? Correct me if I'm wrong...but that's not an every day feature, that's very much an "under-the-hood" thing. The only other smartphone I've really played with is an iPhone, and I don't think they have any option like that built-in....or even "under-the-hood" for that matter.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    You'd think that the competitive environment in which Palm finds itself would have prompted this user-friendly feature. My gosh, the dumbest phone has had T-9 since the dark ages! And the Pre's task list doesn't sync with Google's. Why did Palm drop the ball on that one?
    Really? Who made the rule? Why should that be the case? Even if it shouldn't, what's your point? The question was asked "how?" and answered.
    The phone is what it is. People can learn to use it, or they can stand up in their strollers and scream about how unfair it all is.
    You'd think that the competitive environment in which Palm finds itself would have prompted this user-friendly feature. My gosh, the dumbest phone has had T-9 since the dark ages! And the Pre's task list doesn't sync with Google's. Why did Palm drop the ball on that one?
    T-9 was on "the dumbest phone" because said phone didn't have a qwerty keyboard. You are talking about entirely different features.

Google's task list isn't Palm's problem, it's Google's. They (Google) haven't released an API for their task list, which is why virtually no outside applications sync with it.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Really? Who made the rule? Why should that be the case? Even if it shouldn't, what's your point? The question was asked "how?" and answered.
    The phone is what it is. People can learn to use it, or they can stand up in their strollers and scream about how unfair it all is.
    Forgive me. I thought Palm was a for-profit business operating in a competitive environment against alternative products. I didn't realize it was the purveyor of esoteric toys for the anointed.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    T-9 was on "the dumbest phone" because said phone didn't have a qwerty keyboard. You are talking about entirely different features.

Google's task list isn't Palm's problem, it's Google's. They (Google) haven't released an API for their task list, which is why virtually no outside applications sync with it.
    Thanks for the information about Tasks. I withdraw my criticism of Palm.

Re dumb phones versus QWERTY smart phones: Nevertheless, extended typing on a smartphone is less than convenient. I presume that is why the 800w and newer models had/have word completion. It's about customer convenience.
    The whiners need to understand that the bigger and more robust auto-correct is, the more often you will see the "too many cards" error.

If that's ok with you, keep whining.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast