Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello all,

I've just heard a rather disconcerting tale and I wanted to share and maybe put a bit of an alarm out as I doubt this has has been reported anywhere because of the nature of it.

A friend of mine had been admiring my Palm Pre for a while and said that when he was due for renewal he was going to get one. Anyway, last weekend he came up to me in the pub saying "Your phone's s**" <expletive deleted>. A bit shocked I asked why and he told me he had phoned up the O2 call centre to get an upgrade and had been told he really didn't want to get a Pre.

The reasons he was given were that it would run out of battery well before the day had ended and that the charger was liable to break anyway, so it was likely he would be without a phone for a good week at a time. The guy then started to push the iphone 3GS on to him and he's now awaiting delivery.

I think he'll probably like the iphone, but that's not the point. Even from the start on the gsm model I was getting well over a day's use out of it (and with various patches I can now sometimes get over 2 days) and of course I can replace the battery. And the charger is essentially just a USB cable!!?? Sure it'll break if you step on it, but other than that fine. If you break the mains unit you can always charge it off your PC. And the touchstone is even easier (and a potential additional sale). So what's going on here? Why is O2 staff telling lies?

Has anyone else had or heard of a similar experience? If O2 is actively discouraging smartphone customers from getting the Pre at the point of sale, then what chance does Palm stand?

I hope this is an isolated incident, but I fear not....
    How awful!

Everyone's got an iphone nowadays! It's so special to use a Pre, I've had about 3 people remark what a nice phone it is and they're impressed right from the get go especially when I tell them about synergy.
    just a f***ed up o2 salesman it seems.

o2 germany is really happy to sell the pre, we have big pictures of the pre in every o2 shop, and some billboard adds too.

o2 does sell the iphone too, but it costs over 700€ and they don't do adds for the iphone here in germany.
    my battery doesnt last more than a day :S
    one hour of heavy use can destroy the battery......

however as for the call centre's view, its really o2 and palm's fault!
    they should have given the lastest firmware out of the box, that would have solved some issues......
    also should have gotten the palm pre plus!

you only get to make a first impression ONCE.......
    i think you'll find that even with an iphone, the battery doesn't last very long.

such is the way of smartphones at the moment. perhaps in the future smartphones will have amoled screens which will probably triple the battery life.

in the UK I've seen some Pre ads on tv in the last 2 days, not very many but at least they're increasing visibility so to speak. Although o2.co.uk doesnt even have the Pre featured on the front page.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Should have sold him a touchstone for the office and touchstone at home and he would have had a great charging solution. Who wants to fiddle with that USB-door to charge it, love the touchstone.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    they're pretty expensive though those touchstones.... nearly £45 for a set!

i wasn't given one with my o2 pre contract and i'm not going to be spending that much money for something i can do via usb. wish they were much cheaper!
    Some good news tho in the last 2 days i have seen 3 pre ad's not really sure why they have suddenly decided to advertise again after not doing so for the last 2 months? oh well its still good
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    O2 UK were doing an offer of a free Touchstone recently. Not sure if it was with a new contract or upgrade.
    O2 are just all about foisting the iPhone on you, you go into an o2 shop theres 2 or 3 iphones on wifi fully equipped, whilst there will be a battered palm with no internet connection at the back so you can't even test it (happened to me twice yesterday before I bought mine from an independent shop, and o2 is not getting any contract money off me!

I have both phones, and I really like the pre but in terms of build quality and apps the iphone is way ahead, and more popular.
  11. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    My local O2 store has 4 iPhones as the store centre piece and two Pres tucked away in the corner. Noone even notices them. I still don't get why Palm decided on a carrier so obviously committed to the iPhone?!?
    Wow if this is true I think Palm should step in and do something about it. The webOS family need all the marketing it gets.

On a side note, I'm noticing Bell doing the same thing in Canada, ever since they launched the HSPA network and iPhone. All the demo stands the Pre had were almost gone or tucked into a corner. Although there was a rumour about Palm giving a Pre to all Bell Employees for them to understand and better promote the phone, but if this "hiding the display" trend goes on I doubt it'll help.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Wow if this is true I think Palm should step in and do something about it.
    I hear you, and I hate this because Palm are struggling enough in the UK without rogue salesmen.

However... if you walk into an electronics store and a salesman recommends a Sony Bravia HD television - does that mean Samsung should step in and demand to know why he didn't recommend them instead?

When consumers don't know what they want and the company has multiple agendas, it usually comes down to the salesman's preference. I guess that's just the way it is
    Or maybe the guy at 02 was a bonifide rsole.
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    I hear you, and I hate this because Palm are struggling enough in the UK without rogue salesmen.

However... if you walk into an electronics store and a salesman recommends a Sony Bravia HD television - does that mean Samsung should step in and demand to know why he didn't recommend them instead?

When consumers don't know what they want and the company has multiple agendas, it usually comes down to the salesman's preference. I guess that's just the way it is
    You're missing one point: O2 has an exclusivity agreement with Palm. I'm sure part of the agreement is O2's responsibility to sell the device, not grab the exclusivity so nobody else can sell it, then go on to tell their customers to go buy something else.

I sure hope in the agreement there's something to protect Palm as well in case something like this happens.

Same goes for Bell. I wouldn't be so frustrated if Palm sold it in other places.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Not surprised at all, when I bought mine at an o2 shop the salesman was actively trying to discourage another person from getting the pre and trying to push the iphone on him. Even after the guy said he had an iphone before and didn't like it.
    I had similar things with orange and the N95 when it came out..

but my pre has been in for repair twice.. both times the external speaker failed and needed replacing

i guess if they get lots of returns they will dicourage people from buying!
    First post for me so hello everyone.

I had the same with them yesterday when I called to upgrade, they were really pushing the iPhone. I'd already made up my mind anyway so just told them what i wanted. Phone arrived today although they forgot to send the touchstone so I have to wait until tomorrow for that.

Now just have to get through the rest of the day at work and then it's home to check out the new toy
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    ...not grab the exclusivity so nobody else can sell it, then go on to tell their customers to go buy something else.
    Sounds like a win win situation for o2, if they push you to get an iPhone then great and if you think for yourself and get a Pre they also get the sale

I'm just hoping that Vodafone UK decide to get the Pre Plus when o2's exclusivity runs out.
    I do not understand the pushing of the iphone, apart from refrurb ones where they may be able to do a cheaper monthly tariff than the pre. The only other thing I can think of is as they are targeted for returns, then the Iphone is less likely to be returned as they who is going to return a phone that "everyone" wants.
    The other side of it is most staff do not know how to use a Pre and are less comfortable answering questions on the device with confidence
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast