Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm sure this has been asked but I can't for the life of me turn up any good hits with the search so here it is:

I'm guessing the answer is no BUT... is it possible to take a Pre bought with a Sprint contract and take it over to Verizon?

I'm just fed up with Sprint and with Sprint's gift of getting out of the ETFs by changing the TOS on the contract in January I'm going to take full advantage of that. If I can take my Pre over to Verizon I'll probably do that... otherwise I'll probably go back to a dumb phone on T-Mobile (I already have an older Nokia clamshell which has a pretty decent transceiver in it).

Cheers, Joe
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Tell Ms Zeta-Jones I said hi. Not possible.
    Not gonna happen, especially with the recent release of the Pre Plus. Sorry.
    No, CDMA phones canīt switch networks like GSM phones can with the SIM cards.

Your post is a little confusing, doesnīt mention what your problem is with sprint? Since you want to switch to Verizon, Iīd guess itīs signal issues, as you want to take the same phone. But then, why not just get the new Pre with them since itīs quite an improvement? If your problem is the pricing, Verizon would only be more expensive. You want to take your Pre... but then say youīd move to a non-smartphone with T-Mobile?
    If you throw out your specific problem maybe someone could give you a tip...
    Quote Originally Posted by shewhorn View Post
    I'm sure this has been asked but I can't for the life of me turn up any good hits with the search so here it is:

I'm guessing the answer is no BUT... is it possible to take a Pre bought with a Sprint contract and take it over to Verizon?

I'm just fed up with Sprint and with Sprint's gift of getting out of the ETFs by changing the TOS on the contract in January I'm going to take full advantage of that. If I can take my Pre over to Verizon I'll probably do that... otherwise I'll probably go back to a dumb phone on T-Mobile (I already have an older Nokia clamshell which has a pretty decent transceiver in it).

Cheers, Joe
    Also wanted to point out that I believe you have a limited window of opportunity to cancel with no ETF. You might want to look into that, since it won't last forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post

Your post is a little confusing, doesnīt mention what your problem is with sprint? Since you want to switch to Verizon, Iīd guess itīs signal issues, as you want to take the same phone. But then, why not just get the new Pre with them since itīs quite an improvement? If your problem is the pricing, Verizon would only be more expensive. You want to take your Pre... but then say youīd move to a non-smartphone with T-Mobile?
    Haha yeah I know I'm kinda confused the only reason I can see for wanted to switch to verizon is for the Pre Plus but since you want to migrate your Pre there it doesn't make any sense. I mean your so upset with their service your gonna go pay 20 more dollars to be on verizon?
    Actually $30 more for same features; if it is more than one line it just gets worse.

And if it's a coverage issue, Sprint gives free roaming...you can even switch the phone over to roaming only if it's really a problem. Sprint's data service beats Verizon's though... and if you talk to them about reception problems they often will offer at no charge the Airwave booster for your home
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kuruptlon View Post
    Haha yeah I know I'm kinda confused the only reason I can see for wanted to switch to verizon is for the Pre Plus but since you want to migrate your Pre there it doesn't make any sense. I mean your so upset with their service your gonna go pay 20 more dollars to be on verizon?
    Yes, it's $15 more per month for the features I want and need and that is primarily a phone that actually works. Sprint's claim of coverage under a roaming partner in my area is TOTAL BS. Even though there is a Verizon tower which provides a full signal that is LINE OF SIGHT the Pre insists on staying locked to a Sprint tower. The signal on this tower is so weak that it shows no bars and most of the time you can't even place a call with it. If by some miracle you do place a call, that call gets immediately dropped.

Now, in order to compensate for lying on their coverage map (because for all intents and purposes the Pre does NOT roam... by the time it switches over to a "partner" tower it has already dropped the call) Sprint wants me to pay $5 a month for an Airave, a crappy little device that can't even provide enough usable range to hold a good conversation anywhere in my house, I have to be in the same room as the Airave.

My original reasoning for going to Sprint was that since they were partnered with Verizon I'd get GREAT coverage at home since they told me (both on the coverage map and during a phone call) that I'd have full coverage via a Verizon tower, that I could ditch my Vonage line and use only my mobile. Quite the opposite. Even with the Airave I've had to keep my Vonage line because Sprint's service (even with an Airave) is so absolutely and thoroughly craptacular.

I was hoping that Sprint and Palm would fix the roaming algorithm in a subsequent release but this clearly hasn't happened. It's obvious to me now that Sprint has deliberately sabotaged the handoff roaming algorithms. (and no the patches don't fix the problem (I've tried) because they are hard switches... it's either/or with them, and stopping a call with a client while I press a button to manually select cell phone towers is not my idea of good service).

So, on paper Sprint might be cheaper but in reality they cost more. At least in my location. Add to that a completely incompetent staff and I'm ready to leave (the issues I've mentioned above are only the tip of the iceberg). I haven't received such poor service since I was with Pac Bell (which became something else, which eventually became Cingular). The best service I've had (both in terms of a functional network and competent customer service) has been with T-Mobile and Verizon.

Cheers, Joe
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Also wanted to point out that I believe you have a limited window of opportunity to cancel with no ETF. You might want to look into that, since it won't last forever.
    You are correct. I'm not sure what the exact details are... I've heard until the end of January or until 1 month from receiving your last bill. The latter would put me at mid February but I'm not taking the chance, I'm heading into town to get my T-Mobile phone reactivated on a no-contract account with voice only for the time being. I kind of need a smart phone for business but my work is seasonal and things don't really get kicking until June so I figure I'll just wait until then. By that time the iPhone might be available on Verizon or T-Mobile, if not I'll probably go with a Pre on Verizon. Of course between now and then though something more compelling may come along. Who knows?

Cheers, Joe
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I understand your delema because I am sort of in same boat. At home we have no sprint coverage (although sprint map says we do.) Because of this constant roaming we had to up our shared min. to 3000, which bumps us up about equiv. to Verizons 750 min. When I go to work I pick up 1 bar on sprint or less coverage and dropped calls constantly. I did install roam only patch which so far seems to be helping but we do seem to drop calls (or not receive them) roaming more since we switched to sprint than when we were roaming on Verizons extended network off alltel towers (which now belong to verizon so if we switched back we would no longer be roaming.) I really want things to go well with Sprint, but sadly not sure they are the best choice for us. I do have a big prob. With having to pay Verizon for data on a dumb phone for my daughter when we don't have 3G coverage. So I'm in limbo trying to decide which way to turn lol. I would love the option to move my beloved pre to Verizon if that is the route we choose. Btw we are now on month to month rather easily because of our roaming issues.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    It's not exactly free you have to pay for more minutes and don't have the benefits of unlimited mobile to mobile. On Verizons extended network we could still call verizon mobile to mobile free. Sprint we can't.
    Actually $30 more for same features; if it is more than one line it just gets worse.

And if it's a coverage issue, Sprint gives free roaming...you can even switch the phone over to roaming only if it's really a problem. Sprint's data service beats Verizon's though... and if you talk to them about reception problems they often will offer at no charge the Airwave booster for your home
  12.    #12  
    ...and if you talk to them about reception problems they often will offer at no charge the Airwave booster for your home
    They wouldn't in my case. I tried to get it for free myself because of the terrible coverage and they wouldn't budge. From reading the forums here it looks like this policy towards good customer service went away shortly after the Pre was introduced.

Cheers, Joe
  13.    #13  
    Found another issue as well... when using the Roam Only patch I can only make outgoing calls... I can't receive incoming calls. Calls to my mobile number when roam only is enabled go straight to voicemail. I suspect this is a systemic problem with Sprint as this explains why voicemail messages have popped up in the past without the phone ever ringing (and this is with the roaming mode set to "automatic" (I only installed the roam only patch yesterday to see if it was a potential solution, it's not).

Cheers, Joe
    They wouldn't in my case. I tried to get it for free myself because of the terrible coverage and they wouldn't budge. From reading the forums here it looks like this policy towards good customer service went away shortly after the Pre was introduced.

Cheers, Joe

Yea I switched to VZW for the Pre Plus, not for the phone but for superior service in my area. Although Sprint says that it roams on VZW, the roaming SUCKS!! I get 4 bars EVDO on my PPP, whereas I would only get 0-1 on my roaming Sprint Pre at home. Garbage.

The Pre needs to be connected to the net so that I can fully utilize the phone. Sprint couldn't provide the coverage so I jumped ship.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

I am not sure who knows how to flash a phone with Verizon's software but yes it can to be done. I used to run a Cricket wireless store (CDMA) We used to flash Sprint,Verizon,Alltel and etc. to Cricket all of the time. You just need someone who has the VZW software. After that you just need the system to accept your ESN or MEID.
  16.    #16  
    Good to know kcs7272. I suppose what I'll do is hold on to my Pre for a little while and see if anyone figures out how to do it but maybe after a month I'll put it up for sale. I'm off to T-Mobile to do the deed and pull the plug on Sprint.

Cheers, Joe
    They wouldn't in my case. I tried to get it for free myself because of the terrible coverage and they wouldn't budge.
    You need to talk to the people in "Account Services" (formerly called "Retentions"). You get to these people by entering "6" on a *2 call. You tell them your story and that your intent is to cancel your service and your reasons. I guess I'd hold off on mentioning the contract terms change in the beginning - just tell them "that's sort of immaterial when the phone itself does not work", but that you will use that opportunity to cancel if needed.

From reading the forums here it looks like this policy towards good customer service went away shortly after the Pre was introduced.
    I wouldn't agree with your conclusion here (at least from my personal experience) but you're welcome to draw any conclusions that work for you.

Also note, if you patch your phone, there is a "roam-only toggle" patch that should fix the problem with not roaming over the the Sprint tower. You will still run a problem if over 50% of your minutes are roaming that they will start billing you for that roaming.

good luck!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  18.    #18  
    Thanks sudoer, I've actually spoken with retentions on numerous occasions and they just wouldn't budge. Re: the roam only patch I've tried this. Two problems...

1) In the winter time nearly 100% of my minutes would be roaming
    2) When the roam only patch is enabled I can't receive phone calls. If you call my number while roam only is enabled it goes straight to voice mail. I can only initiate calls. I believe this is a systemic problem with Sprint or Sprint and the Pre as it explained why people would often say they called (when I said I would be around) but nobody answered or it would explain the multitude of times (and BTW is when the phone was in "automatic" mode before I'd installed anything on it) where the phone would never even ring and I'd just get a voicemail notification.

I believe Sprint is knowingly rigging their phones to provide limited service when roaming although I'd need more evidence to back up that statement. It's plainly obvious that Sprint has deliberately crippled the roaming algorithm. Many sprint phones used to have a "roam only" setting but now I don't think anything that they sell has that option anymore. I'm guessing there was a corporate decision made to curtail the use of roaming on Verizon's networks so as to increase profit by reducing overhead.

Cheers, Joe
    Have fun with Verizon.....I'm sorry I don't believe half these stories about Sprint not working, or wont roam or whatever to make Verizon look so more superior...

I used to have Verizon all the time, and while the service is good...Sprint is just as good..I travel alot..Albeit mostly to populated area not No Man's Land, and Sprint has just never failed me, if there was Sprint service i roamed on Verizon with little hassle and stayed on Verizon until i came back into Sprint.

Sprint's not nearly as bad as people try to make it out to be, because they have a problem with Sprint for one reason or another.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
    Have fun with Verizon.....
    Sprint signal is low... 1 bar or less. You either can't make a call or sustain a call for more than 30 seconds. Phone is in "automatic" mode. There's a Verizon tower within line of sight. The Phone does not switch to the tower with a good signal that won't drop a call. Is this your definition of "working"?

There is no signal that the phone can lock on to so it DOES switch to a roaming partner. Someone calls you and it goes straight to voice mail. Your phone never rings. Is this your definition of "working"?

You install a patch to force Roam Only mode. The phone is on a Verizon tower with full signal. Initiated calls are fantastic. Someone calls you. The phone does not ring and it sends the caller straight to voice mail. Is this your definition of "working"?

Do you not believe what I'm saying? Do you think it's operator error? I used to be a software engineer (C, C++, and (much to my chagrin LOL) x86 assembly). I may not be the smartest guy on the planet but I'm pretty tech savvy and this stuff isn't rocket science.

I'm sorry I don't believe half these stories about Sprint not working, or wont roam or whatever to make Verizon look so more superior...
    So you think I'm trying to make Verizon "look so more superior"? Like I have an agenda and I'm merely making these stories up? What purpose would it serve? How the heck would I benefit from that? I think your logic is a bit flawed. While it's true that on the Internet the voices of those who are unhappy with something tend to drown out satisfied customers, at a certain point the volume of complaints becomes so high that you have to take it seriously. Prior to signing up with Sprint I'd heard mostly complaints. I figured I'd give them the benefit of the doubt as some behavior seemed to indicate they were changing their ways and that their network has improved but clearly that has not been my experience.

Let me ask you this, do think AT&T and the iPhone provide reliable service? I have tons of friends who have the iPhone with AT&T and most of them ***** and moan about the service. It's unclear whether the fault is AT&T's network (which doesn't seem to be robust enough to handle the bandwidth) or the iPhone (which there is plenty of evidence to suggest that it has a few design flaws, specifically with regards to switching network modes) but either way, I wouldn't touch an iPhone on an AT&T network with someone else's 10 foot pole. Even when the iPhone is released on Verizon (although it's a phone on my list) I'll wait and see if the reports of reliability are any better on a network that is known to be quite good.

Cheers, Joe
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast