Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by shewhorn View Post

Again have fun with Verizon!
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Sprint signal is low... 1 bar or less. You either can't make a call or sustain a call for more than 30 seconds. Phone is in "automatic" mode. There's a Verizon tower within line of sight. The Phone does not switch to the tower with a good signal that won't drop a call. Is this your definition of "working"?

There is no signal that the phone can lock on to so it DOES switch to a roaming partner. Someone calls you and it goes straight to voice mail. Your phone never rings. Is this your definition of "working"?

You install a patch to force Roam Only mode. The phone is on a Verizon tower with full signal. Initiated calls are fantastic. Someone calls you. The phone does not ring and it sends the caller straight to voice mail. Is this your definition of "working"?

Do you not believe what I'm saying? Do you think it's operator error? I used to be a software engineer (C, C++, and (much to my chagrin LOL) x86 assembly). I may not be the smartest guy on the planet but I'm pretty tech savvy and this stuff isn't rocket science.

So you think I'm trying to make Verizon "look so more superior"? Like I have an agenda and I'm merely making these stories up? What purpose would it serve? How the heck would I benefit from that? I think your logic is a bit flawed. While it's true that on the Internet the voices of those who are unhappy with something tend to drown out satisfied customers, at a certain point the volume of complaints becomes so high that you have to take it seriously. Prior to signing up with Sprint I'd heard mostly complaints. I figured I'd give them the benefit of the doubt as some behavior seemed to indicate they were changing their ways and that their network has improved but clearly that has not been my experience.

Let me ask you this, do think AT&T and the iPhone provide reliable service? I have tons of friends who have the iPhone with AT&T and most of them ***** and moan about the service. It's unclear whether the fault is AT&T's network (which doesn't seem to be robust enough to handle the bandwidth) or the iPhone (which there is plenty of evidence to suggest that it has a few design flaws, specifically with regards to switching network modes) but either way, I wouldn't touch an iPhone on an AT&T network with someone else's 10 foot pole. Even when the iPhone is released on Verizon (although it's a phone on my list) I'll wait and see if the reports of reliability are any better on a network that is known to be quite good.

Cheers, Joe
    I had the same signal issues with my Sprint Pre,switched to VZW in November and got the Pre Plus today.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
    Again have fun with Verizon!
    I agree that Verizon sucks when it comes to plan pricing and charging extra for services that should be included. I absolutely think Sprint kicks **** in that department but...... A. What good is a great phone and plan if you cannot use it?
    B. At least in my case I went on my girlfriend's plan and she gets a great discount from work so it kind of softens the rate hike, plus I can use my phone
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    There is no signal that the phone can lock on to so it DOES switch to a roaming partner. Someone calls you and it goes straight to voice mail. Your phone never rings. Is this your definition of "working"?

You install a patch to force Roam Only mode. The phone is on a Verizon tower with full signal. Initiated calls are fantastic. Someone calls you. The phone does not ring and it sends the caller straight to voice mail. Is this your definition of "working"?

Do you not believe what I'm saying?
    shewhorn, out of curiosity I turned on my "roam only" setting and called my cell from my landline. Even though my phone was in roaming mode (the "R" icon was displayed), it received the call fine and did not automatically transfer to voicemail.

I'm not saying I don't believe you - just that this is another data point, and something else is going on to cause your incoming calls to go to voicemail. If it does work for me, it has be something else causing the calls to transfer to vm on you. And I have to believe incoming calls can go to the phone via roaming normally, because the other phones I've had under Sprint service acted the same way - though those would warn me roaming charges would apply if I answered. You need to dig deeper on this one.

Incidentally, the roaming patch I use is "Roam only in device menu". There is another one that patches the phone preferences but I don't have any experience with that one.
    You know I'm not an expert on the subject but I'm wondering if setting up a Google Voice account to ring your home phone when you in your house would help the situation when your home.

Just a thought I don't really know much about Google Voice but it sounds like it would be helpful in a situation where your not getting good service at your house and would like to receive calls on your home phone.
    You know, it just might be that Sprint has a "threshold" amount of "spend" they can allocate to try and "save" a customer. I think it's pretty likely if someone was already given some concessions (such as a free airave/service, or the $20 for 24 months deal) and then the customer needs another concession (for whatever reason), Sprint might just prefer to let the customer walk after some point.

I'm making no judgments about any particular customer here (as I don't know any real details in such matters). I'm just offering this as a possibility that might help some of us to better understand possible reasons Sprint might be saying "yes" or "no" when it otherwise does not make sense to us compared with what others say they got.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    You can flash the Sprint Pre to Pageplus, I wouldn't see any issue flashing it for Verizon.

There a posts on Howard Forums on how to do it. (I can't post links).
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    Incidentally, the roaming patch I use is "Roam only in device menu". There is another one that patches the phone preferences but I don't have any experience with that one.
    I gave it a few more tries. I did get it to ring once but it's by no means reliable. I am using the same patch that you're using (gotta say for a tech geek it's nice to have a phone that's so open) but ultimately I need it to ring 100% of the time as I use the phone for business so having calls go to VM is a big concern. I personally hate it when I call a business and I get voice mail or a computer. I like to talk to a human.

Cheers, Joe
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by kuruptlon View Post
    You know I'm not an expert on the subject but I'm wondering if setting up a Google Voice account to ring your home phone when you in your house would help the situation when your home.

Just a thought I don't really know much about Google Voice but it sounds like it would be helpful in a situation where your not getting good service at your house and would like to receive calls on your home phone.

I do have a Google Voice number (and the Google Voice app on the Pre). It's REALLY slick BUT... I'd like to go back to the situation I had when I lived in Silicon Valley which is no land line, just a mobile. I was hoping that when I switched to Sprint the partnering with Verizon and the strong Verizon signal where I am would allow me to transfer my biz number over to Sprint but the service was just never reliable enough for that, even with the Airave. I gave them the benefit of the doubt at first since the Palm was a new phone. I figured maybe they needed to tweak the roaming algorithms and I figure that such a tweak would surely come with a future update as Palm was releasing updates fast and furious in the beginning but at this point I don't think that's going to happen.

I did find out today at T-Mobile that the Blackberries do VOIP stock, no extra charge. If you have an 802.11 WiFi signal all you have to do is turn the WiFi on in the BB and voila! Nothing more to do, all your calls go over VOIP. That's pretty sweet and may seal the deal for me. My GF has the BB Bold and I must say I like my Pre better in terms of the user interface and the larger screen for web browsing BUT... for my business my primary application is using email and using the calendar, 2 things which the BB does really really well and the VOIP is PERFECT when I visit my parents' place (they're in a dead zone). It really solves a lot of problems for me and the unlimited account (unsubsidized) is $80/month (subsidized it ends up being $99/month but when you factor the price of the phones in over 2 years they're pretty close (with the unsubsidized being a slightly better deal).

Cheers, Joe
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12