Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As a pre user, I could say WebOS is a brilliant OS and I enjoy using it. But on the other hand, as a security analyst, I am quite negative to Palm Inc.

Normal users tend to compare Pre with Iphone, they miss the business point of view. Iphone is not a phone, it is a supershop where large amount of money will come from. How could Pre shop kill iphone shop? On the other hand, microsoft has large amount of cash generated from the licensing of WM.

I still dont understand how WebOS could make money.
    Maybe I miss something. Does anyone know?
    This is a user forum so that is why you get mostly phone talk and not business model talk.

What does Palm say when you ask that question?

What do the other security analysts say?
    you dumb analyst are all in cahoots to drive the stock down and up!! The fundamentals of Palm are improving as Ship Ruby is turning around!!! So tell your buddies to keep shorting and you guys will lose your pants
    another analyst who turns to internet forums, maybe we need a special section.

since you asked let me break it down, internet forum style, over simplified to the point of uselessnes, plus a "meme"
    for good measure

profit: an abreviated tutorial for analysts who visit forums.

-by t wilson snarky

palm sells smartphones and their accessories. They sell them for more than it cost to make them

?????

profit!

-thank you, this has been a snarky production
    Last edited by windzilla; 01/25/2010 at 10:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    Oh boy. You probably shouldn't have said you're an analist. The same negativity you all like to show Palm is probably the same negativity Pre users are about to show you. Trust me, most of us know that evil man Kumar. I think most Pre users would not definitively compare the Pre to the iphone. I know I don't. As you pointed out its Apples to Oranges. I don't think Palm is predicting turning a profit until the end of 2010 once the phone really gets going on multiple carriers and the OS matures. So that being said, they are probably not turning a profit just yet. I'm not a business person so take what I said with a grain of salt.
  6.    #6  
    I am a security analyst. I am not a security speculator. Shorting a security need another knowledge that I don't know. A security analyst job is to ask the very fundamental question:"how does a company make "business" money, what is the amount compare with "capital invested"? My mentor is Ben Graham.

Palm had once dominated 90% of PDA market but had not made reasonable money. Iphone has only small amount of smartphone market share but has 90%+ market of music and smartphone's software retailing.

While Nokia , Blackberry, Motorola have their very clear business way of making money, I really don't see what will be Palm new CEO strategy.

If it is off the Palm Pre general talk topic, I am really sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonylawca View Post
    While Nokia , Blackberry, Motorola have their very clear business way of making money, I really don't see what will be Palm new CEO strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    [QUOTE=Brain_ReCall;2178095][IMG]

This made my day lol.
    Palm had once dominated 90% of PDA market but had not made reasonable money. Iphone has only small amount of smartphone market share but has 90%+ market of music and smartphone's software retailing.

If it is off the Palm Pre general talk topic, I am really sorry.
    The level of intellect here is staggering low. I'm new and my apologies for being flamed for what is a legitimate thought.

I hate the iPhone because it is what you say - designed for Apple to make a ton of money but frustrate those of us who just want to use the best parts of the phone. Without jailbreaking it, the iPhone is a total toy and not advisable if you do any kind of business. Even jailbreaked, it's limited badly in certain ways (synching data on apps is enough to drive anyone insane.)

The goal of Palm was pretty much the same as it always has been - build a great machine, sell tons of them. WebOS IS a MUCH BETTER platform for overall usage than Apple's closed piece of crap where you can't even swap out an icon for your contact manager in the phone dialer app or do any kind of customization - like something as simple as a today screen. Kill yourself inefficient. WebOS seems the antithesis, build a better mousetrap and it will gain a major foothold where it was - both as an awesome consumer device and hooked into corporations too, just like MS and Blackberry.

Problem is that Colligan and Palm totally blew it with their arrogance.

(1) After years of being behind the market with endless minor Treo updates, they put all their eggs in the WebOS basket.
    (2) They decided they would be the only ones building their own phones.
    (3) It took WAY too long to get the OS out.
    (4) When they did, it took WAY too long to get out an API so someone could improve the rudimentary introduction
    (5) The hardware is "average", especially as compared to the rock solid Treo build and perfection of that device
    (6) They underestimated Google and Android which has now clearly knocked out Palm's place, blown into Windows Mobile's space, and now entering Blackberry's hold.

I love WebOS. The Pixi with standard power is what I want, the Pre Plus is a poor man's compromise but still best device I like at this moment. Problem is that, like yourself, I think Colligan collected the bonuses and greatly underestimated where the mobile space would be by the time Palm was done. The problem is exactly as you described. They went to build the better system to re-establish where they were and have now been ousted by the other players. There is no special Apple gimmick to make money and the hardware is just a speck of thought in the fraction of users who really want to use their phones for all the great things WEbOS is capable of.

These next few months will be crucial to the survival or demise of Palm. Android is moving in like the Terminator.
    Mine too.

HJAHAHAA.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    Perfect post!! /thread
    seriously, its the same model. Sell phones for more than they cost to make. Were you an analyst for bear stearns?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    I posted something similar the other day, how Pre users on these forums constantly bash Apple/iPhone when they need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Apple has sold over 40,000,000 iPhones

Palm has sold less than 2,000,000 Pre's/Pixies (they wont even release exact figures and they've been bleeding money the last few years)

I love the WebOS and the Pre, but Palm needs more ingenuity than gestures and cards
  14.    #14  
    To Rashad 1,

I am a long time Palm addicts Palm Pilot->Palm III->Palm V->Palm C->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 650->Centro->Palm Pre

To tell the truth, if Iphone had "vertical" keyboard, I would 100% buy it. That is even though Multi-tasking , gesture in Palm Pre is a very good experience.

Palm addicts must admit that Iphone is more similar to Palm OS than WebOS to Palm OS.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Last edited by bruba; 01/26/2010 at 12:42 AM.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    To tell the truth, if Iphone had "vertical" keyboard, I would 100% buy it. That is even though Multi-tasking , gesture in Palm Pre is a very good experience.

Palm addicts must admit that Iphone is more similar to Palm OS than WebOS to Palm OS.
    O, ok, so now the topic is not about Palm making money, but the iphone being better. I see. First I was confused about what this topic was about, but now it's totally clear..
    Is that supposed to be a good thing?
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    O, ok, so now the topic is not about Palm making money, but the iphone being better. I see. First I was confused about what this topic was about, but now it's totally clear..
    Apple is making money

Palm is not

What is Apple doing right, what is Palm doing wrong?

Sorry if I changed the subject, you can continue to ignore the problem. And I never said one was better than the other, that's subjective. I was looking at the sales numbers specifically.
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    What is Apple doing right, what is Palm doing wrong?
    Advertising?

Being a former iphone/ipod user that's pretty much what I gather.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    Advertising?

Being a former iphone/ipod user that's pretty much what I gather.
    So you think it's just a matter of advertising?

You must seriously underestimate Palm's advertising division, or Palm as a company as whole.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast