Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Was doing some research about PRE processor and came across the droid being over clocked @800 stable and above..is there any way we can clock past 600mhz through a patch or edited a internal file to remove the restriction. I'm willing to be the guinea pig :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbann View Post
    Was doing some research about PRE processor and came across the droid being over clocked @800 stable and above..is there any way we can clock past 600mhz through a patch or edited a internal file to remove the restriction. I'm willing to be the guinea pig :-)
    Doubt it. The Droid is a better device. It was fully developed.
    to the OP: one would think that you may be able to overclock it in that way by changing the setting in a command like "echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed" at root. however, from what i understand the processor is only capable of running at 125 250 500 550 and 600, i believe.

you could check out this thread and learn more about overclocking with the pre: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-1-3-5-a.html
  4.    #4  
    Thanks guys but i kno our processor can be clocked past 600mhz only thing stopping that is i believe Palm limited within the firmware some how..our processor is being over clocked in other devices
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post

wow you really think its better,,,,maybe the built but thats all im giving it, and maybe the bigger screen
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    The Droid and the Pre have the same TI OMAP processor. Same manufacturer, same model number.
  7.    #7  
    that's exactly my point Shoty we have the same processor so what's keeping a pre from being clocked past 600 if the droid has the capabilty
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbann View Post
    that's exactly my point Shoty we have the same processor so what's keeping a pre from being clocked past 600 if the droid has the capabilty
    Its all about the quality of how they bin the parts...All parts are not equal.....

Some are slow some are fast.... and it all depends. Fast skews are more expensive that slow skews. It all depends on what palm put in the pre...

Nominal slow or fast?

The bin points could have been something like 500Mhz 600Mhz 700Mhz+ respectively...

Even a 500Mhz bin part should be able to run at 550...but was the rest of the system designed to do so....?ie other supporting hardware..... Who knows....
  9.    #9  
    Good points...I understand and agree with that..so does this conclude that we are limited through hardware or something palm has restricted in the system...I checked droid specs and nothing dictates that they have the ability to clock that high...the one user has pushed upwards of 1.2ghz
  10.    #10  
    if you google "droid clocked 800mhz" you will see the articles on the way the user obtain this also this was posted on ppcgeeks.com and it runs stable @ 800mhz but unstable once he reached 1.4 mhz
    would be interesting to see it clocked past 600mhz.

shoot the old Treos ran great at 468-512 mhz depending how high you could go.

I would like to see some safe overclocking. (not that it's ever really safe)
  12.    #12  
    it would be interested to see a pre clocked past 600 me personally I would luv to run around 7-750mhz I think the Pre "breathes" better @ higher mhz
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    It's not just the CPU. Cooling matters. The Pre sometimes gets really hot when burning through the battery, and being wrapped in plastic doesn't help the cooling. If we had a metal casing overclocking might work a bit better. Personally I don't want to fry an expensive cell phone.
  14.    #14  
    if I had the "know how" I would attempt to get past 600 just to see any benefits
    i think you people just like saying droid, i call it the hemroid
  16.    #16  
    lol hermaroid thas funny..I luv my pre far more than droid the only thing droid has that I would like is a bigger screen beside the PRE is the kind, not to mention I find webOs far superior to android..back to the topic I would just like the ability to pick up the pace every now and then, I been running smartreflex 600 since its been released and its great no lockups and snappy so I could imagine 700+ ahhhh (daydreaming) lol
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    i think you people just like saying droid, i call it the hemroid
    Were you trying to spell Hemorrhoid? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH
    would be interesting to see it clocked past 600mhz.

shoot the old Treos ran great at 468-512 mhz depending how high you could go.

I would like to see some safe overclocking. (not that it's ever really safe)
    Check it out at AllDroid.
    Heh, you really want to see what the battery life (already sub-par) is going to be like at 800hz :P.

Play a type:game 3D accelerated game for awhile (which clocks the processor up from 500hz to 600hz to get a hint at what it would be like.

When you are dealing with slightly imperfect charge scenarios, a Pre running at 600mhz can cause a net DRAIN in power... WHILE CHARGING :P

I'm happy at my 500 (and wouldn't mind being underclocked when idle either Palm...)
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
  19.    #19  
    yes battery life would suck but it doesn't have to run a 700+ all the time just & min of 550 and max 700+ with sr600 patch I see about 8-10 hrs of use with playing few vids, getting on the net playin music checking preware of course n few things I probably missed
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Isn't the Droid's processor clocked at 650mhz, not sure if that's under-clocked or not. But I've heard that over-clocking the Droid's processor that much make it extremly unstable.

The Pre's is 600mhz underclocked to 500mhz. They both run similar processors but the Droid's is a bit faster. 800mhz+ IMO may not be possible for the Pre. Companies usually under-clock processors for a reason pushing it past 600mhz would be dangerous.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast