Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    we are under clocked but doesn't mean we can't push up a bit i see from the research the processor can handle it
    i think its possible when the system is optimized better, Palm might just push up the speed a bit.

I think heat and battery are concerns.

Droid clocked at 800Mhz, thats fine, sorry it still doesn't do much good, OS is important, you can run 3GHz desktop CPU on android, it still won't do NFS now.
    Quote Originally Posted by NC-Mc View Post
    Isn't the Droid's processor clocked at 650mhz, not sure if that's under-clocked or not. But I've heard that over-clocking the Droid's processor that much make it extremly unstable.

The Pre's is 600mhz underclocked to 500mhz. They both run similar processors but the Droid's is a bit faster. 800mhz+ IMO may not be possible for the Pre. Companies usually under-clock processors for a reason pushing it past 600mhz would be dangerous.
    No. The Droid and the Pre have the same processor. Palm underclocked to 500 MHz, Motorola underclocked to 550 MHz. The Pre isn't even that stable at 600, I wouldn't want to try and overclock it.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    No. The Droid and the Pre have the same processor. Palm underclocked to 500 MHz, Motorola underclocked to 550 MHz. The Pre isn't even that stable at 600, I wouldn't want to try and overclock it.
    stable enough that any and all apps utilizing sdl automatically scale up to 600mhz.

don't spew incorrect information.
    and for what it's worth, my pre has been clocked at the full 600mhz for months.
    some reported stability issues but it's possible the 1.3.5 update which also enabled type: games and such included a few under the hood modifications to deal with this newly enabled behavior.

either way, palm trusts the cpu enough to have it bump up.
    palm didn't overclock the Pre's with the newest update -_-
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    palm didn't overclock the Pre's with the newest update -_-
    can you open a terminal session?
    do a quick cat on the cpu to see what it runs at whenever any of the apps utilizing native function run.

you'll see for yourself.
    this is well documented.
    I know native apps run at 600 MHz. I ran my Pre at 600 MHz for a while but that introduced video artifacts and it also froze a few times. Then again, I also used CPU scaling, so that may be a factor.

Also, we already have terrible battery life on 550 MHz, overclocking would make it worse.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    overclocking can severly damage a device even if possible. The nexus just got overclocked at 1.1 ghrz...........then died
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12