Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    With Apple announcing soon the Iphone 4G with Verizon (June launch), when do you think we will end up seeing a 4G Palm Pre....that is the obvious logical next step for the Pre....

Without a 4G Pre by year end, Palm will be DOA....
    You sure it's an actual 4G iphone and not just the 4th generation iphone?

I don't follow iphone news too much, so I'm pretty ignorant to the topic.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    4G isn't expanding as rapidly as you think. I can throw a rock and hit Sprint's campus in Overland Park, but there's still no 4G to be found ;P I know the larger cities have it, but I think Sprint will put out a 4G WebOs device once it lays out some more 4G in more areas. Right now, they need to get the infrastructure into place for such a big change. 4G will be great, but we need to have some patience!

[EDIT]
    but OP, if they do push out a 4G iPhone, then yes, Palm will need to play "catch-up" as stupid consumers will opt to dump 3G in five seconds once they realize it's "out-dated"
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    I give it 2 years before we see one, companies are still pushing 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    I give it 2 years before we see one, companies are still pushing 3G
    I think we'll see 4G phones starting early 2011.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Actually I was in the Sprint store today and the Pixi came up in conversation as a possibility from the sales person. I refuted that the WiFi was a no-go because the phone would live in San Antonio, FL (population about 1,000). I was told that San Antonio actually already had a 4G tower and that --believe it or not-- Boise, ID also has 4G.
    Based on this conversation it would appear that 4G is coming to more rural/less dense areas first. If you think about it Sprint can maybe make some inroads with high-speed Internet in households that are not well served by land-based solutions (xDSL, Fiber Optics, etc), so that makes some sense... Cheers!
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I think we'll see 4G phones starting early 2011.
    What makes you think that?
    Canada has just rolled out HSPA. 4G is still a way off. Palm won't be DOA here for a long time.
    sprint said not long back it would be year end at best before any 4g capable phones would be available.

4g on verizon? they have not announced that yet.
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    What makes you think that?
    Well, the technology has been out for a while. It's also coming to more areas. I think that in about a year there will be large enough 4G coverage to introduce it on phones. Of course they will fall back on 3G when needed though.

Plus, there is the pressure of competition. Everyone wants to be the first one with 4G devices on their network.
    You sure it's an actual 4G iphone and not just the 4th generation iphone?

I don't follow iphone news too much, so I'm pretty ignorant to the topic.
    So far all of the speculation I've seen points to a 4th generation iPhone, not a 4G wireless iPhone. However, I do believe that there's good evidence that there will be a 4G wireless Android phone on Sprint by the end of the year, and I'd lay good money down that the Pre's successor on Sprint will support 4G wireless.

And indeed, I think the name "Pre 4G" would be perfect. It would be entirely valid, and yet would seem to bring the Pre to parity with the iPhone 4g pretty much immediately.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujila View Post
    4G isn't expanding as rapidly as you think. I can throw a rock and hit Sprint's campus in Overland Park, but there's still no 4G to be found ;P I know the larger cities have it, but I think Sprint will put out a 4G WebOs device once it lays out some more 4G in more areas. Right now, they need to get the infrastructure into place for such a big change. 4G will be great, but we need to have some patience!

[EDIT]
    but OP, if they do push out a 4G iPhone, then yes, Palm will need to play "catch-up" as stupid consumers will opt to dump 3G in five seconds once they realize it's "out-dated"
    Personally I think the opposite. It is actually expanding faster then I would have thought.

Sprint exec. on 3G/4G hot spots (podcast) | For the Record Podcast - CNET News

currently available in 27 markets, including here, but it is slated to be rolled out to several more markets this year. By the end of 2010, Sprint says its 4G network will reach as many as 120 million people in the country.
    120 million by the end of the year seems like enough of a reason for Sprint to have a 4g handset by at LEAST the middle of the year.

Also if the rumored sprint/walmart deal is true then it would accelerate this so incredibly fast and lower the time it would take to set up the needed infrastruture as well as costs. We can only hope it is true.
    Quote Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
    With Apple announcing soon the Iphone 4G with Verizon (June launch), when do you think we will end up seeing a 4G Palm Pre....that is the obvious logical next step for the Pre....

Without a 4G Pre by year end, Palm will be DOA....
    OK... so you're taking two massive, unconfirmed assumptions, and then stating that Palm better match up. That makes a lot of sense.

The iPhone has not been confirmed for Verizon. Not officially, and not even by reliable sources.

A 4G iPhone hasn't even been rumored by any agency that I'm aware of with even a shred of credibility.

Verizon is beginning 4G trials this year. That's a far cry from having actual devices. Hell, Sprint has had 4G in some markets for over a year, and they STILL don't have a 4G phone.

So go ahead and say Palm will be dead by the end of the year. Because I'm 99% sure that Apple will be dead too, if you are holding them to the same standard.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    So far all of the speculation I've seen points to a 4th generation iPhone, not a 4G wireless iPhone. However, I do believe that there's good evidence that there will be a 4G wireless Android phone on Sprint by the end of the year, and I'd lay good money down that the Pre's successor on Sprint will support 4G wireless.

And indeed, I think the name "Pre 4G" would be perfect. It would be entirely valid, and yet would seem to bring the Pre to parity with the iPhone 4g pretty much immediately.
    The second generation Pre (The Plus is like 1.5 lol) should come out sometime during summer. I don't see it being a 4G phone out of the gate, but hopefully Palm will have a 4G radio built in along with the 3G so it can be activated once Sprint rolls out 4G for phones.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Sprint announces 17 new 4G cities for 2009
    The new additions for 2009 are: Abilene, Texas; Amarillo, Texas; Austin, Texas; Boise, Idaho; Bellingham, Wash.; Charlotte, N.C.; Corpus Christi, Texas; Greensboro, N.C.; Killeen-Temple, Texas; Lubbock, Texas; Maui, Hawaii; Midland-Odessa, Texas; Raleigh, N.C.; Salem, Ore.; San Antonio, Texas; Waco, Texas; and Wichita Falls, Texas.

Sprint also expects to launch service in multiple markets in 2010, including Boston, Houston, New York, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.

These markets will join Baltimore, where Sprint made history when it launched 4G in September 2008.

4G:Sprint announces 17 new 4G cities for...

As to new devices who knows..?
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Well, the technology has been out for a while. It's also coming to more areas. I think that in about a year there will be large enough 4G coverage to introduce it on phones. Of course they will fall back on 3G when needed though.

Plus, there is the pressure of competition. Everyone wants to be the first one with 4G devices on their network.
    They battery technology has yet to catch up with phones, even the Pre has a crappy battery life. If we see 4G cellphones start rolling out in about a year the battery technology still wouldn't be suffice to power that phone on 4G, unless we start using brick devices to get a decent life out the phone.
    They battery technology has yet to catch up with phones, even the Pre has a crappy battery life. If we see 4G cellphones start rolling out in about a year the battery technology still wouldn't be suffice to power that phone on 4G, unless we start using brick devices to get a decent life out the phone.
    I never said it was about the battery being able to keep up with it. The early adopters of 4G phones are going to be the people who are well informed in the phone world. They'll understand the trade-offs but still want the 4G because it's the newest greatest thing.

Also, phone companies don't care too much about the batteries having a shorter life. The first carrier with a 4G network will get a huge boost in subscribers. They're all businesses and overall just want to make as much money as they can. The early bird gets the worm.
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro1 View Post
    Actually I was in the Sprint store today and the Pixi came up in conversation as a possibility from the sales person. I refuted that the WiFi was a no-go because the phone would live in San Antonio, FL (population about 1,000). I was told that San Antonio actually already had a 4G tower and that --believe it or not-- Boise, ID also has 4G.
    Based on this conversation it would appear that 4G is coming to more rural/less dense areas first. If you think about it Sprint can maybe make some inroads with high-speed Internet in households that are not well served by land-based solutions (xDSL, Fiber Optics, etc), so that makes some sense... Cheers!
    Boise isn't even close to being a rural or a "less dense" area so that's not a very good example. It's the capital of the state and at the rate it's been growing it won't be long until Boise, Meridian and Nampa will be one big city.
    4G cell phones are still quite a ways off for any carrier or manufacturer. You're probably looking at 2 years off still.

When you consider that the majority of cell phones out there aren't even full 3G yet, no one is in a hurry to do a full rollout of 4G cell service and phones. Right now, the only market for 4G type speeds is in PCs to replace the cost of hardwired networks and laptops that allow seamlessly mobile high-speed internet access. Sure, there are people out there with high-end cell phones that use applications that can benefit from higher speed cellular networks, but in the grand scheme, you're talking about an extremely small percentage of the user base.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    4G cell phones are still quite a ways off for any carrier or manufacturer. You're probably looking at 2 years off still.

When you consider that the majority of cell phones out there aren't even full 3G yet, no one is in a hurry to do a full rollout of 4G cell service and phones. Right now, the only market for 4G type speeds is in PCs to replace the cost of hardwired networks and laptops that allow seamlessly mobile high-speed internet access. Sure, there are people out there with high-end cell phones that use applications that can benefit from higher speed cellular networks, but in the grand scheme, you're talking about an extremely small percentage of the user base.
    I agree that pure 4G phones are a ways off, however I can see a dual radio 3G/4G being released sometime in the next year or so.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast