Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My .02 is that Palm won't release anything this summer. They will focus on updates to webos, and they will announce something at CES next year.

They might go 4g, they might not.

In their financial plan they see themselves becoming profitable by the end of this year. At the end of the year they will know what the palm 2 will look like. Right now, they know about as much as we do. (Okay maybe a little more, but not much.)
    Palm will release 4G this year or first quarter next most likely this year with dual or quad band, cdma, gsm and wimax, cause HTC is releasing supersonic for sprint that runs 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by damnregister View Post
    You guys are still mixing Technology.

4G is for you:

-Real 4G LTE - Long Term Evolution: Devices need several 12Volt Batteries and nets are only for testing purpose. This technology gives you about 25Mbit in the beginning.

- WiMax - Some Mid-Range more WLan like technology

WiMax IS real 4g bud. Also their is VARIOUS articles on the pro's and benefits of both.

WiMax has as high a theoretical speed as LTE FYI. + From what I have heard is that the WiMax spectrum will be much better.

Why the WiMAX vs. LTE Battle Isn't a Battle — WIMAX

LTE vs WiMAX: A Little 4G Sibling Rivalry – GigaOM

WiMAX vs. LTE

WiMax vs. LTE Battle for Next Gen Wireless Heats Up | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I agree that pure 4G phones are a ways off, however I can see a dual radio 3G/4G being released sometime in the next year or so.
    Does anyone think that a daul 3G/4G will be what Sprint/Palm Pre will be selling next?????????????. I beleive I read elsewhere on this site, rumor is that Sprint will be seling an upadted Pre toward the summer.

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Usually a Palm product has a 1year shelf before the next one is out so good chance we can see newness this summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    I am a radio engineer in Abilene, Texas (you know the first city on the list of 4G rollout). I find it a little disconcerting that sprint claims this is a 4G rollout for sprint when it is really just the fact they can put people on clearwire's network since they own controlling stock in Clear. For everyone's information most of the cities listed in west Texas had clearwire already in place (we've had it here in Abilene for around 5 years). I noticed no real upgrade in speed over a clearwire connection when the "rollout" was supposed to happen.

I'll get off my soapbox now and say I think the new Mi-Fi has both 3g and 4g radios in it. I have also heard of 4g phones being pushed through the works as well. The problem for me is that here in west Texas they are pushing the 4G rollout so hard they are not upgrading anything else. Most of west Texas is 1xRTT so until they come out with a hybrid 3g/4g radio, we in west texas are stuck at a blazing max of around 135kbps.
    Is 3g live there in ABI now? I was driving through Brownwood this weekend and saw it move from 1x to EVDO with a quick blip in service, seems it went live this weekend down here. It was live Out to winters/Ballinger/Coleman as well.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
    With Apple announcing soon the Iphone 4G with Verizon (June launch), when do you think we will end up seeing a 4G Palm Pre....that is the obvious logical next step for the Pre....

Without a 4G Pre by year end, Palm will be DOA....
    Bulgaria will probably get 4G before the US does!
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada View Post
    Bulgaria will probably get 4G before the US does!
    4g is rolled out already in a number of markets....
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    although there are no public phone devices capable of operating on it. No 4g has hit the FCC as far as I know. I hope palm has something in the oven (c40)....
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    although there are no public phone devices capable of operating on it. No 4g has hit the FCC as far as I know. I hope palm has something in the oven (c40)....
    Sprint has already said the first 4G phones will be released this summer. I don't know where the article is but a quick google search will get you there. I'm on my palm pre so it'll be kinda hard for me to search. Rumors suggest it's the HTC supersonic.
    Quote Originally Posted by ho0lee0h View Post
    Sprint has already said the first 4G phones will be released this summer. I don't know where the article is but a quick google search will get you there. I'm on my palm pre so it'll be kinda hard for me to search. Rumors suggest it's the HTC supersonic.
    here you go:
    Sprint promises its first WiMAX handset by this summer, could be the Supersonic -- Engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by ho0lee0h View Post
    yes, I'm aware. I expect it to hit fcc soon, I bet a April/may release.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    not that it relates to palm... But i have seen a 4g wimax phone. I was doing a tower install for clear and saw one of the clear guys with it.
    you see who made it?
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 02/24/2010 at 01:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    nope. touch screen. he used it to make calls and check levels. i asked what it was, since i didnt know clear used cell.... and he told me a wi-max phone. next site wont be till march, but ill ask around. they dont like to talk much
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123