Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    They battery technology has yet to catch up with phones, even the Pre has a crappy battery life. If we see 4G cellphones start rolling out in about a year the battery technology still wouldn't be suffice to power that phone on 4G, unless we start using brick devices to get a decent life out the phone.

I think the Seido 2600 mAh battery is prety impressive actually. I have heard nothing but good things about battery life. Obviously this is not a stock battery but it's not fair to say battery technology wouldn't suffice.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I never said it was about the battery being able to keep up with it. The early adopters of 4G phones are going to be the people who are well informed in the phone world. They'll understand the trade-offs but still want the 4G because it's the newest greatest thing.

Also, phone companies don't care too much about the batteries having a shorter life. The first carrier with a 4G network will get a huge boost in subscribers. They're all businesses and overall just want to make as much money as they can. The early bird gets the worm.
    Sprint has 4G for those who use mobile broadband, I haven't heard any buzz about that. Most people aren't going to buy a consumer smartphone with a poor battery life (Pre)...unless they are educated about the tradeoffs like you said. Also a full featured phone with 4G will have terrible battery life, it's not only the 4G eating the battery but the apps on the phone as well.
    Sprint has 4G for those who use mobile broadband, I haven't heard any buzz about that. Most people aren't going to buy a consumer smartphone with a poor battery life (Pre)...unless they are educated about the tradeoffs like you said. Also a full featured phone with 4G will have terrible battery life, it's not only the 4G eating the battery but the apps on the phone as well.
    An extended battery is always an option, as tman9476 said. The first 4G phones are going to be aimed at power users anyway, not people who like having small, cute devices. I'm sure power users wont mind having a device that's a little on the bulky side. It's an acceptable trade off for having a bleeding-edge device, IMHO.

Sprint has 4G for those who use mobile broadband, I haven't heard any buzz about that.
    There has been a lot of buzz about 4G mobile broadband. Not necessarily with Sprint, but with other providers like Clear. It's still a relatively new technology to most people, but the advertising has been pretty aggressive from what I've seen. Soon enough everyone will be familiar with the technology and will want it for it's speed. Who doesn't want to go faster? lol
    A 4G phone on Sprint was being talked about as early as September of last year. The most recent I've seen:

Roadmap Leak: HTC Android Phone With WiMax Coming to Sprint This Year? - Sprint HTC Android Wimax Phone - Gizmodo
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    you guys do realize there is no such thing as a true 4g network at this moment?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    4G cell phones are still quite a ways off for any carrier or manufacturer. You're probably looking at 2 years off still.

When you consider that the majority of cell phones out there aren't even full 3G yet, no one is in a hurry to do a full rollout of 4G cell service and phones. Right now, the only market for 4G type speeds is in PCs to replace the cost of hardwired networks and laptops that allow seamlessly mobile high-speed internet access. Sure, there are people out there with high-end cell phones that use applications that can benefit from higher speed cellular networks, but in the grand scheme, you're talking about an extremely small percentage of the user base.
    maybe not, rumors are that htc will be releasing a 4g phone soon (like in a year i would assume). this article is actually from today. HTC Supersonic for Sprint possibly spotted in the very, very ugly wild -- Engadget

anyway, the whole 4g iphone thing is bogus. the 4th gen of iphone maybe coming soon though.
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    you guys do realize there is no such thing as a true 4g network at this moment?
    Sprint - Mobile Devices
    4G cell phones are still quite a ways off for any carrier or manufacturer. You're probably looking at 2 years off still.
    I spoke personally to an exec at Clear, that's not the impression he left with me...
    Quote Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
    With Apple announcing soon the Iphone 4G with Verizon (June launch), when do you think we will end up seeing a 4G Palm Pre....that is the obvious logical next step for the Pre....

Without a 4G Pre by year end, Palm will be DOA....
    4g iPhone on a 3g network. Palm won't have a 4g phone out by the end of the year. For Palm, they might have a 2nd generation Pre by that time. Maybe.

You are mixing up terminologies, then making a ridiculous prediction based on your misunderstanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sprint can say they have 4g phones all they want, but it doesn't mean it's 4g. 4g has nothing to do with speed of downloads.

4G:There is no "true" 4G network
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    Sprint can say they have 4g phones all they want, but it doesn't mean it's 4g. 4g has nothing to do with speed of downloads.

4G:There is no "true" 4G network
    Obviously, you didn't follow the link posted. It said nothing about Sprint having a 4g phone, it said they have a 4g network. You have a post from an annoymous poster that says they don't, that it's not "true 4g". How does one trump the other?
    yep 4G expanding fast. We are getting it turned on in Houston in early February. The HTC Supersonic is a 4G phone with snapdragon procesor that will be appearing very soon. Also the rumored Palm C40 expected in june. I 100% beleive we will see at least two 4G phones in the next 6 months on sprint network. I want the palm C40 (possible pre 2, C stands cor clearwise and 4 stands for 4G)
    I spoke personally to an exec at Clear, that's not the impression he left with me...
    An employee of a company running new technology gave you the impression it's going to take off sooner than later? Shocking...

But seriously, there are still a lot of factors to shake it out in the next 6 - 8 months, namely the economy. The technology may well be in place, but there might not be a market to support it.
    I want wimax in los angeles!!!!
    4g iPhone on a 3g network. Palm won't have a 4g phone out by the end of the year. For Palm, they might have a 2nd generation Pre by that time. Maybe.

You are mixing up terminologies, then making a ridiculous prediction based on your misunderstanding.
    It will not be a 4g Iphone as in 4g wireless, in any way shape or form. It is the FOURTH major generation of the iphone, nothing to do with broadband speeds of '4g'
    Verizon is working on LTE 4g, and iphone will NOT be LTE.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    What makes you think that?
    Google HTC Super Sonic
    It's a android phone rumored to support WiMax (4g). Should be out around the end of this year for sprint.
    An employee of a company running new technology gave you the impression it's going to take off sooner than later? Shocking...

But seriously, there are still a lot of factors to shake it out in the next 6 - 8 months, namely the economy. The technology may well be in place, but there might not be a market to support it.
    I understand your point, but this wasn't a "Oh, you're an IT guy that can pass things on? Here's some info". It was in a bunch of guys conversation in his pool room. I tend to think it's coming a lot sooner than 2011.
    I am a radio engineer in Abilene, Texas (you know the first city on the list of 4G rollout). I find it a little disconcerting that sprint claims this is a 4G rollout for sprint when it is really just the fact they can put people on clearwire's network since they own controlling stock in Clear. For everyone's information most of the cities listed in west Texas had clearwire already in place (we've had it here in Abilene for around 5 years). I noticed no real upgrade in speed over a clearwire connection when the "rollout" was supposed to happen.

I'll get off my soapbox now and say I think the new Mi-Fi has both 3g and 4g radios in it. I have also heard of 4g phones being pushed through the works as well. The problem for me is that here in west Texas they are pushing the 4G rollout so hard they are not upgrading anything else. Most of west Texas is 1xRTT so until they come out with a hybrid 3g/4g radio, we in west texas are stuck at a blazing max of around 135kbps.
    You guys are still mixing Technology.

4G is for you:

-Real 4G LTE - Long Term Evolution: Devices need several 12Volt Batteries and nets are only for testing purpose. This technology gives you about 25Mbit in the beginning.

- WiMax - Some Mid-Range more WLan like technology

- also called 3.5G: 3G Additions, in Germany its called HSDPA - High Speed Downlink Packet Access, its an addition on our UMTS network. This would be more like a faster EVDO network for you. Gives data rates about 7.2Mbit, just like Sprint claims their "4G" network will be.

And think again: How much speed do you need on a MOBILE device? 7.2Mbit is really enough to stream videos on the mobile device, for everything else you would use tethering with your laptop and what do you do "on the road"? watching nice "movies" in HD? And don't forget: New technology will use more battery then the current, don't expect the "real 4G" to use less then 3G, this won't happen.

Just my 2€
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    I am a radio engineer in Abilene, Texas (you know the first city on the list of 4G rollout). I find it a little disconcerting that sprint claims this is a 4G rollout for sprint when it is really just the fact they can put people on clearwire's network since they own controlling stock in Clear. For everyone's information most of the cities listed in west Texas had clearwire already in place (we've had it here in Abilene for around 5 years). I noticed no real upgrade in speed over a clearwire connection when the "rollout" was supposed to happen.

I'll get off my soapbox now and say I think the new Mi-Fi has both 3g and 4g radios in it. I have also heard of 4g phones being pushed through the works as well. The problem for me is that here in west Texas they are pushing the 4G rollout so hard they are not upgrading anything else. Most of west Texas is 1xRTT so until they come out with a hybrid 3g/4g radio, we in west texas are stuck at a blazing max of around 135kbps.
    You are exactly right, I am just south of you, '4g' is there but 3g has been skipped over in 3 major rollout timeframes for the area.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast