Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 59
  1. s4l
    s4l is offline
    s4l's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Not yet.
    If they do ask you for restocking fees, threaten to Deact.

    You will have them shaking.
  2. #22  
    I don't have any problems here. Pre Plus did stop working at one point, it just froze even without running anything, rebooted it, everything was ok after that. I did notice when charging the Pre Plus, the bottom/back of the device gets really really hot, don't know if it's just my unit or what. If anything happens, I'll report back.
  3. #23  
    [Off Topic] Yeah, Dieter. Last night was just awful.

    -Fellow Vikings fan in Florida
  4. vara411's Avatar
    Posts
    110 Posts
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    #24  
    Look at it this way... that's two fewer lemons in the channel.

    Vibes of support being thrown your way... that sucks. I have money that says third time's a charm, though.

    ... C'mon, Palm... PLEASE tell us this is not happening again.
  5. #25  
    Sorry to hear about that, Dieter. That's just... a major disappointment. I'm all set to buy a Pre+ this march (I'd get it now if it weren't for complicated Verizon contract crap), but I can get out of my contract with "big red" in August... should I just wait, switch, and buy a sprint pre? I know that sounds dumb, but I have had a good amount of defective phones in my day, as well as one's I've just broken, obviously, and I'd like not to have to worry about that kind of thing. I know the Sprint Pre's have their share of build quality problems too, but what happened to you is just... unacceptable. Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm still learning.
    Hope you have better luck with your Pre+ in the future.
    On a side note, how has verizon itself been? In comparison to sprint, and on it's own, what are your thoughts so far? I know, it's early.
  6. #26  
    Sorry about the bad luck.

    As a transplanted Minnesotan I appreciate the kind words about the Vikes from you guys (even though they are directed at Dieter)
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity



    Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  7. pmalena's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #27  
    Now THAT makes me anxious. I have spent nearly all day exploring my new Pre Plus--it is one awesome phone. So far, no difficulties at all. Still trying to figure out how to get all my contacts from Palm TX, but just didn't get to it today. I know there are threads and I will seek them out tomorrow. Time for rest; back to work tomorrow!
    Patrice
    Virginia
    Works like nothing else!
  8. Paper-Cut's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    #28  
    That doesn't comfort me Dieter..I'm getting mine sometime this week.
  9. mordy07's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    #29  
    Just got my Plus today. Most everything seems to be working fine, except there's a little spot in the upper left corner and the lower right corner that are a bit discolored. It's not dead pixels, and it's only really evident in a monochrome screen - especially white. I've read a few things that sound like it's a heating issue and they go away after it hasn't been used/charged for a while - although those were from original Pre users when it came out in June. I'm hoping these things are transient, but if not I'll probably try to get a replacement.

    Or maybe I should just be happy with what works...
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    I don't want to say we have a trend, but I definitely have had problems:

    1st Pre Plus: Dead speaker. it wasn't the phantom headset jack, definitely just a bad speaker. Reset didn't help either.

    2nd Pre. had it charging on touchstone, just noticed it was crazy crazy hot and the screen won't turn on. Yipes. Take it off touchstone, cool it down (slowly, so as not to cause condensation), try to start it. Nothing. Different battery, still stock Palm, nothing. USB plugged in - nothing, not even USB boot mode.

    Am I cursed or are other people having hardware issues with their Palm Pre Plusses?
    Damn, I was hoping that Palm would have changed more in their manufacturing process than just improving the slider rails. It sounds to me like they've just put lipstick on the pig. I'm now officially hoping that someone with someone with manufacturing quality control actually buys Palm. Otherwise the Palm Pre is going to be the "Fiat" of the phone industry. What's the "Fix it again Tony" equivalent for "Palm"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    I hope they give you the 3rd Pre and not refer you to Customer Care.
    I think they are considering adding the Pre to ObamaCare :;
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by pmalena View Post
    Now THAT makes me anxious. I have spent nearly all day exploring my new Pre Plus--it is one awesome phone. So far, no difficulties at all. Still trying to figure out how to get all my contacts from Palm TX, but just didn't get to it today. I know there are threads and I will seek them out tomorrow. Time for rest; back to work tomorrow!
    You can export your contacts from desktop or outlook and then import them into Google. I tried the desktop synchronizing and the best is to just use Google and palm profile just backs up the contacts.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by mordy07 View Post
    Just got my Plus today. Most everything seems to be working fine, except there's a little spot in the upper left corner and the lower right corner that are a bit discolored.
    That's the uneven backlighting problem. (There is a row of 5 LEDs across the bottom of the screen and the light output of all 5 are not matched. Typically the rightmost two are brighter. My launch-day Sprint Pre has this problem. While it's annoying on a light blue backgound, it's otherwise completely harmless.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  13. #33  
    Sorry about the bad luck. On the plus side, your story has stopped my PrePlus envy in the dust. I can wait six more months to see what Sprint offers Premier Customers.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by techshoe View Post
    I don't have any problems here. Pre Plus did stop working at one point, it just froze even without running anything, rebooted it, everything was ok after that. I did notice when charging the Pre Plus, the bottom/back of the device gets really really hot, don't know if it's just my unit or what. If anything happens, I'll report back.
    That's normal (especially during the first day before the battery conditions). I know that's not the spot the battery is in, but my Sprint Pre behaved the same way through the first couple of charging cycles.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  15. #35  
    Well... I was going to ask if the new Pre Plus had any notification alerts (ie: LED Notificationesqe)... but I guess you won't be able to tell until the smoke clears (literally). Geez.. I went through 3 Pre's in my first 30 days... I just assumed Palm had this build issue licked. [sigh]

    At least you can take solace that it could be worse - you could be in Chicago dealing with Sprint reps.

    It will be interesting to see if Dieter's Pre Plus review suddenly has some editing. heh heh
  16. #36  
    Maybe Palm did not learn a thing about build quality. Perhaps Sprint just learned how to hide the worst phones from us (by sending them back before we saw them). I guess Verizon exployees are going to have to learn the same tricks. (I hope things aren't as bad as they seem. Maybe Palm should pay these people like $15 to manufacture the phone instead of like $5. It seems to me like they are trying to milk a stone with the cheap Chinese labor.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    ...It seems to me like they are trying to milk a stone with the cheap Chinese labor.)
    Wouldn't this build quality actually mean it was made in the US? [no flaming! it was just a joke ]
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Wouldn't this build quality actually mean it was made in the US? [no flaming! it was just a joke ]
    Excellent point.

    I'm not blaming the Chinese here. I'm blaming the cultural differences, the "management disconnect", and the overworked nature and low pay of the workers. What do people thing the end result is going to be? Now if they had built-in checks at each step of manufacturing where the defects would be obvious, and the cost of producing defects was higher than the cost of letting them through, I have to think that the end result would be very different. Edwards Demming's principles come to mind here.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    I don't want to say we have a trend, but I definitely have had problems:

    1st Pre Plus: Dead speaker. it wasn't the phantom headset jack, definitely just a bad speaker. Reset didn't help either.

    2nd Pre. had it charging on touchstone, just noticed it was crazy crazy hot and the screen won't turn on. Yipes. Take it off touchstone, cool it down (slowly, so as not to cause condensation), try to start it. Nothing. Different battery, still stock Palm, nothing. USB plugged in - nothing, not even USB boot mode.

    Am I cursed or are other people having hardware issues with their Palm Pre Plusses?
    I never owned a Sprint Pre but my Verizon Pre is like a freaking tank so far. Speakers are all good works with accessories well. My only problem is the keyboard which i just don't like lol. I hope they can at least resolve your situation in a timely manner.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by gladesmellzgood View Post
    I never owned a Sprint Pre but my Verizon Pre is like a freaking tank so far. Speakers are all good works with accessories well. My only problem is the keyboard which i just don't like lol. I hope they can at least resolve your situation in a timely manner.
    You'll get used to it. I can get above 40 words per min on it now.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions