1.    #1  
    The voicemail button was great on Sprint because within sprint's voicemail configuration you can turn off requiring a password but there is no such option on Verizon. Therefore each time you hit that voicemail button you have to plug in your password and there is no way to amend that voicemail speed dial to add the password on using some spaces etc.

Anybody have any thoughts on how to deal with this?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    i'm also trying to do this. All is want to do is add my password into the string for hands free message checking. Vzw commented out the vm option in prefs; it's not just dialing from contacts neither the entry for myself, nor from the verizon supplied voicemail contact #86. On my treo/centro I just edited the voicemail speed dial, but there seems no way (other than editing carrier database. Having to do this would mean that this must be done each time a WebOS update occurs, which would be cumbersome, esp. in the case of the smaller x.x.1 updates.
    It is truly remarkable that the ability to amend the VM number (or any other speed dialed #) to add a pause or two and the pw is missing from this instrument. I have looked forward to getting a Pre since it was first announced at the 2009 CES and just got one yesterday.

Great little instrument, but I do very much miss the voice dialing and the above capacity of my Treo.

If any one has a solution, I've got a hearty thanks for you!!

slm
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    It is ridiculous the number of things Palm left out of this new OS, but to work around this one I created another "Voicemail" with the proper extra strings in my Contacts, then linked that contact to Photodialer. When I want to go to my Voicemail I just use Photodialer. Of course, I still can't use any of the factory Voicemail icons or I would still have to dial the extra digits myself, but I replaced the Phone icon with Photodialer on the Quick Menu at the bottom.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nyboysm View Post
    It is truly remarkable that the ability to amend the VM number (or any other speed dialed #) to add a pause or two and the pw is missing from this instrument. I have looked forward to getting a Pre since it was first announced at the 2009 CES and just got one yesterday.

Great little instrument, but I do very much miss the voice dialing and the above capacity of my Treo.

If any one has a solution, I've got a hearty thanks for you!!

slm
    Pauses and other speed dials you can do, the issue here is that there is a voicemail button at the bottom of the Phone Screen and it itself cannot be edited

Lower left button except through a rooting procedure which is no fun

It is ridiculous the number of things Palm left out of this new OS, but to work around this one I created another "Voicemail" with the proper extra strings in my Contacts, then linked that contact to Photodialer. When I want to go to my Voicemail I just use Photodialer. Of course, I still can't use any of the factory Voicemail icons or I would still have to dial the extra digits myself, but I replaced the Phone icon with Photodialer on the Quick Menu at the bottom
    Yeah as I said VZW provided us with a contact for which I could edit and create a speeddial and even place that speeddial in my launcher, but that vm button would be useless and is quite convieniet if it were able to be changed.

I think I will Link Twitter.com/palm to this and maybe they can make a comment
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Yep, I noticed within an hour of starting to use a Pre Plus last week on launch day. I spent several hours on the phone with both Palm & Verizon support, with the incident finally being escalated to level 3 rep at Palm and a senior technician at Verizon. The outsourced Indian Palm help desk couldn't have cared less, but the Verizon techs were MAD AS HE11. One guy bluntly told me "Man, we're gonna be getting a lot of calls about this one!" I really hope the carriers hold Palm's feet to the fire and make them bring WebOS' telephony component up to the level of a circa 2001 dumbphone (voice dialing & voicemail PIN autodialing, in particular).

Just think of the irony of this one: 3.5 years ago, Palm announced they were supporting the California hands-free driving bill (Palm, Inc. - Palm Supports Signing of Hands-Free Cell-Phone Bill) Yet Palm's flagship product (actually their entire current product line) cannot do voice dialing (BT or otherwise) despite some kind of add-on voice dial functionality existing for years on Palm OS-based smartphones.

WebOS users who drive cars put themselves and other drivers at risk everything they have to punch in 5+ digits to check their VM. Just pitiful. Yet another sign that one year on, both WebOS and Palm still aren't ready for primetime. This kinds of continued misses on the "small stuff" make me feel much better about abandoning Palm and jumping to another platform after nearly 14 years as a huge proponent of Palm OS.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    I know this is an old thread (thank you search), but is this really still the case? If so, it is another "seriously?" for me with this phone (of which there have been many).

The pre is an amazing device, practically a wonder of software engineering/design, but there are so many of these little/basic pieces missing, I am surprised (to me, this is something that I think people would expect a cell phone of almost any caliber to do).

However, with this feature, it could just be that the vm functions of the phone were designed with Sprint in mind, so it was never a top development priority to add the ability to change the number string.
    It's very much a function of the voicemail system and VZW's desire for security at the expense of user convenience.

-MB
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by belanger View Post
    It's very much a function of the voicemail system and VZW's desire for security at the expense of user convenience.

-MB

That would make sense if Verizon provided only a single method to access Voicemail that was locked. There is more than one, as proven by the fact that you simply assign voicemail access, with the additional strings, to another Contact.

Locking their official Voicemail icon and speed dial makes zero sense.
    I submitted a patch request in this thread.
    While not a replacement for the actual voicemail button, i would recommend setting a speeddial for a new button (like the #2 button) and use the hard or timed pauses to add the pauses. you can find out how to do that using our Tips:

Set Speeddial: http://www.precentral.net/set-speed-dial
    Add pauses: http://www.precentral.net/adding-pauses-phone-number
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    While not a replacement for the actual voicemail button, i would recommend setting a speeddial for a new button (like the #2 button) and use the hard or timed pauses to add the pauses. you can find out how to do that using our Tips:

Set Speeddial: http://www.precentral.net/set-speed-dial
    Add pauses: http://www.precentral.net/adding-pauses-phone-number
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work: