Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm addicted to phones and I was looking forward to getting my hands on a webos device. I have been with ATT and had all 3 iphones before switching to Verizon and using the Droid Eris. So far I'm loving this phone and look forward to contributing to this board in the near future. First thing I need to do is learn this homebrew stuff and patches. All my iphones in the past have been jailbroken, I had a rogers magic on att which ran custom roms and I was waiting for the eris to get rooted but so far that has not happened. I kind of got bored with the eris pretty quickly. The android OS does not seem to be well thought out. I paid full price for the pre, but I sold my iphone 3gs for a hefty profit which covered the cost of the phone.

Hopefully I'm here to stay.
    Welcome to webOS and PreCentral
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Welcome! Check out Preware.
    can you tell us how your slider is. Is it really tight and does it have any wiggle room.
    Welcome to WebOS!!... drink deeply of the Koolaid! You're gonna love it!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    can you tell us how your slider is. Is it really tight and does it have any wiggle room.
    I really have nothing to compare it too since I never really played with the sprint version. It seems tight. It slides very easily for the first quarter of an inch, but then you need to apply some good pressure to actually slide the keyboard fully open. There doesn't seem to be any wiggle left and right when closed. When it is open there is a tiny wiggle almost not noticeable.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I played with a VZW Pre today and the slider definitely feels more solid, as if the mechanism is doing much of the work for you. I'd say it's on par with sliders I've had in the past. This is compared to my Sprint Pre, which takes a bit of effort to open and has a slight twist when closed.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    well take a look at the home page for all the information about how to install preware onto your phone. With it you get over 1000 different custom themes, over 150 patches, and free applications like a gameboy emulator. This site has answer to any and all your question regarding your phone so come here first if you ever have a problem, or need help with installing something on your pre.
    When they're brand new (even the Sprint ones) are tight fitting. Ask again in four months, that seems to be around the time (depending on sliding usage) when they loosen up. I've been through 3 of of the Sprint units and now have the good version of the refurb. I've had it for longer then 4 months and can say there is only a mm of wiggle room which doesn't seem to be getting any bigger.

I'd be more interested in the extra ram of the Plus, since during and after using NFS I get either sluggishness or can't open anymore cards message. Love my Pre but will probably be first in line for the 2nd generation when it comes out.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I just received a new Pre because my 1st one from day one was cracked near the USB plug. I have to say it feels different from the launch phone. I can tell the slider is different already. I tried 3 different cases on it, Body glove and two hard plastic and the sliding on it is different from before. I use to have a bit of a pause in it, but it slides nice and clean. Anyway, welcome to the boards, alot of helpful info here for the Pre.

I too was a phone addict and having alot of WinMo phones, I was hesitant about going with Palm and WebOS. I have to say after 6 months, this is the best OS by far. I have played with the Iphone and my wife has the Hero and neither of them impress me. Im sure in the near future both Apple and Android will adopt similar multitasking OS but they have catching up to do.

Again, welcome and enjoy!

I had a 3 sprint pre's late last year and all three had slider and hardware issues. I loved webos but hated the hardware. I picked up a verizon pre this morning and am glad to say it's much much better. Slider is nice and tight. No oreo. It doesn't feel like it going to break and all the corners and edges line up. Keyboard is better. Really happy with it. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Still on my launch day Pre and my slider is fine.
  13.    #13  
    I do have a quick question, I'm sure I could search and find a answer. Is there anyway to start dialing a number on the virtual keypad and it have it bring up the closest contact like most other smartphones by interpreting the number to a letter of a name? If not hopefully there is a patch for this.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I just ordered my Pre Plus this morning. $99.99 and free overnight shipping. Should have it tomorrow and will look forward to playing with it all day. I'm coming from the Samsung Omnia which I do like, but need something different and the multitasking is what I've been looking for. Good thing I have tomorrow off.
    Quote Originally Posted by MotionxxUSxx View Post
    I do have a quick question, I'm sure I could search and find a answer. Is there anyway to start dialing a number on the virtual keypad and it have it bring up the closest contact like most other smartphones by interpreting the number to a letter of a name? If not hopefully there is a patch for this.
    You could just not open the phone app and start typing when no apps are in focus. Also you have to type via the keyboard to get this functionality in the Phone app.
    I'm addicted to phones and I was looking forward to getting my hands on a webos device. I have been with ATT and had all 3 iphones before switching to Verizon and using the Droid Eris. So far I'm loving this phone and look forward to contributing to this board in the near future. First thing I need to do is learn this homebrew stuff and patches. All my iphones in the past have been jailbroken, I had a rogers magic on att which ran custom roms and I was waiting for the eris to get rooted but so far that has not happened. I kind of got bored with the eris pretty quickly. The android OS does not seem to be well thought out. I paid full price for the pre, but I sold my iphone 3gs for a hefty profit which covered the cost of the phone.

Hopefully I'm here to stay.
    What did you pay for the Pre?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)

to my knowledge there isn't, since the keypad takes up the entire screen. If you open the phone app and open the menu (top left) select preferneces. From there you can toggle show names on. If you type a name using the keypad it'll bring up matches as you type.

good luck and welcome!!
    Quote Originally Posted by justinjones View Post
    I had a 3 sprint pre's late last year and all three had slider and hardware issues. I loved webos but hated the hardware. I picked up a verizon pre this morning and am glad to say it's much much better. Slider is nice and tight. No oreo. It doesn't feel like it going to break and all the corners and edges line up. Keyboard is better. Really happy with it. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Thanks thats what I wanted to know. I have had multiple Sprint pre's and eventhough everyone states sprint pre's are good when you just get them to me that hasn't been the case. Every single one of them had issues out of the box and I've had 4 pre's so far.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    are these on 1.3.5 also?
    Thanks thats what I wanted to know. I have had multiple Sprint pre's and eventhough everyone states sprint pre's are good when you just get them to me that hasn't been the case. Every single one of them had issues out of the box and I've had 4 pre's so far.
    That's because Palm keeps sending out refurbs, recyling their problems.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast