1.    #1  
    I have been having a problem for the past few weeks where new Notifications like e-mail and text messages do not cause the display on my Pre to power on briefly so that I can read the notification. Basically, I get the Notification sound, but the screen never comes on. I have to hit the power button to see the notification.

Is there a settings somewhere that I accidentally changed?

I have looked on the phone and searched the forums, but maybe I'm not using the right search term. This is really a pain, as I like to keep my phone in view during the day and read the notifications as they come in.

Anyone else see this before?
    Notifications are no longer waking the device. This is an issue for me as well since I'm a truck driver and I leave my phone in the car cradle. The cab and road noise drowns out the alert and I don't always see the center button. My phone is always plugged into power when in the mount, so it always turned on to my home screen. That was ideal for me. It would be nice for Palm to include an option to wake device in notifications settings.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the info! It is certainly strange that they have hardwired so many things, such as this, and the notification and alert sounds.
    I believe this feature has been disabled since the last update.
    This changed with 1.3.5. You have to enable the "show when locked" for notifications in the screen & lock section. Before 1.3.5, even with that disabled the screen would briefly turn on, it just wouldn't show the notification itself. So my guess is you need to set that to on.
    I had mine set up on, it still wouldn't wake the device. Show when locked just means that it would show the notification banner at the bottom of the lock screen but you still have to turn on the device manually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles From Nowhere View Post
    I had mine set up on, it still wouldn't wake the device. Show when locked just means that it would show the notification banner at the bottom of the lock screen but you still have to turn on the device manually.
    That's strange then cause my screen turns on briefly automatically when I get a txt or email.
    Maybe I have a bad patch that's interfering with normal operation. I'm doctoring right now to prepare for 1.4, so I'll know soon enough.
    Have you guys tried the "notifications repeat" patches for email/texts/missed calls?
    My phone is always plugged into power when in the mount, so it always turned on to my home screen. That was ideal for me. It would be nice for Palm to include an option to wake device in notifications settings.
    You mention looking for the center button so I'm assuming you do patches and homebrew... Look for the No Auto-Off While Charging patch, it will keep your Pre from turning off (therefore keeping your home screen and notifications visible) while it's plugged in in your truck.
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    This changed with 1.3.5. You have to enable the "show when locked" for notifications in the screen & lock section. Before 1.3.5, even with that disabled the screen would briefly turn on, it just wouldn't show the notification itself. So my guess is you need to set that to on.
    I also have mine set to ON but it does not come on. I will turn it off, then back on to see if it takes.
    My screen still wakes like it used to, it does seam like it wakes for a shorter time, but I could just be crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    You mention looking for the center button so I'm assuming you do patches and homebrew... Look for the No Auto-Off While Charging patch, it will keep your Pre from turning off (therefore keeping your home screen and notifications visible) while it's plugged in in your truck.
    One of my patches is more standby times which I can set to never turn screen off. The problem is driving at night and having the screen always on in my peripheral is distracting, especially if I'm driving through snow squalls.
    One of my patches is more standby times which I can set to never turn screen off. The problem is driving at night and having the screen always on in my peripheral is distracting, especially if I'm driving through snow squalls.
    I use that patch too, use it all of the time. I guess you have the screen brightness all the way down.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clindner View Post
    I have been having a problem for the past few weeks where new Notifications like e-mail and text messages do not cause the display on my Pre to power on briefly so that I can read the notification. Basically, I get the Notification sound, but the screen never comes on. I have to hit the power button to see the notification.

Is there a settings somewhere that I accidentally changed?

I have looked on the phone and searched the forums, but maybe I'm not using the right search term. This is really a pain, as I like to keep my phone in view during the day and read the notifications as they come in.

Anyone else see this before?
    Prior to 1.3.5- email & text notifications would wake up the screen briefly.
    Since 1.3.5, only text notifications wake up the screen (if the setting is ON). Email notifications do not wake up the screen anymore, regardless to the settings.
    This was done probably to conserve battery power, but it would have been nice to offer it as an option instead.
    This is a strange issue. My wife and I both have Pres and we are both on 1.3.5 with the exact same patches. Her phone wakes up the screen on TXTS but not email. My phone wakes on both TXT and Email.