Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    does your GPS work?

why is it down? for how long will it be down? who can we contact ?
  2. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Mine worked awhile ago, I tried it on Saturday and it didn't work at all, even after a reboot. Haven't gotten around to calling Bell about it, I thought it was just me.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    My GPS is working. Sorry. Check your settings in location services maybe?
  4.    #4  
    i have 3 other friends and theirs doesn't work either

*** is going on
    For me, the simple action of "fixing" the GPS chip seems to have worked.

To do that, simply type ##GPS# (##477#) on the phone dialer and tap on "get fix" afterward.

I was able to use the GPS even with apps like FourSquares after that.
  6.    #6  
    tried .. didn't work
    ur in canada ?
    nope, I've tried that, and it did not work for me.

Also, this is the third thread on this problem, do we really need 3 threads?
    Well I guess I'm glad to find this thread.,.. yeah my Bell Palm Pre GPS has been sorta dead for a while now too, what's is going on with it!!?

Also whenever I open up Google Maps it'll first show the whole continent, then "zoom in" on a specific spot no matter where I actually am! Even if I'm 50 miles away it'll still think I'm at that same spot It's ****ing me off & I was gonna go get the thing replaced, but why bother if all Pre's are doing the same thing

.. the A-GPS died several months ago too.. do U think it's a conspiracy?? lol
    Just noticed tonight that my GPS was not functioning also.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I'm on Bell in Canada and as of this post, mine is working perfectly. As far as I know Bell hasn't done anything to cripple the GPS chip inside of the Pre, so it shouldn't be their fault that it's not working. A few things you might want to check are location services, then preferences and make sure locate me using gps and google services are checked off and auto-locate is on. Also try using the GPS outside, uninstalling any recently used patches, try the GPS with a different app such as Map Tool by metaview in preware.
    Mine seems to be working fine.
    Just checked the GPS on mine, no problem. It briefly shows the full continent then after it has a fix on your location it zooms right in to the correct location. Everything seems to be functioning as it should.

(On Bell Canada......)
  13. o14
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    No, mine's not working
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Mine wasnt working when I wanted bus routes today, and I thought it was just being spazzy, but good to know it's not working for anyone.

On Bell Canada in Vancouver.
    Quote Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
    I'm on Bell in Canada and as of this post, mine is working perfectly. As far as I know Bell hasn't done anything to cripple the GPS chip inside of the Pre, so it shouldn't be their fault that it's not working. A few things you might want to check are location services, then preferences and make sure locate me using gps and google services are checked off and auto-locate is on. Also try using the GPS outside, uninstalling any recently used patches, try the GPS with a different app such as Map Tool by metaview in preware.
    Thanks, yep I tried all that. I'm into Geocaching so I have been playing around with quite a few apps that involve the GPS. I removed all of them in hopes of undoing the problem(s) but it's still not working.

Like I said earlier, the really weird thing is when I fire up Google Maps it will constantly pinpoint me to the one specific location regardless where I actually am.

I really don't think Bell is purposefully disabling the GPS receiver, but I DO know we in Canada get customized firmwares for our Pre's. I am on 1.3.5.1 but we in Canada always seem to get the latest firmware a few days after the USA gets theirs, I am assuming Bell is doing some tweaking to it.

So, you guys who already HAVE approached Bell with this problem are only getting generic responses that "everything is ok??"
    Every carrier everywhere has custom versions of their firmware, it's not really exclusive to Canada.

My GPS is working just fine here in Ontario.
    Mine isn't working either.
    Just tried ##477# to reset the GPS and it continually gives me a GPS Error. An error has occurred.

I STAND CORRECTED.
    Once I got my Pre outside it worked fine.. NO ISSUES HERE.
    Last edited by the.teejster; 01/28/2010 at 08:39 PM.
    I'm not having any luck. I've tried reboots, different apps and I still can't get a signal. I've even tried ##47# and it just give me 'gps error'.
  19.    #19  
    OK NEW QUESTION: those of you who have it working seem to be in Ontario

I am in Alberta (West Coast)

are the ones that are having issues, are you in the West coast as well ?
    Mine is now working and although I don't know what exactly caused it to work, here are a few things people have tried:

• if you have sprint navigation installed, remove and reinstall it
    • try your GPS connection over wifi (this worked for me)
    • try disabling "locate by google" or whatever it is called under location services

Mine hadn't worked at all, not even after multiple reboots and battery pulls. Over the course of an hour or so I reinstalled sprint nav, connected to wifi, turned off google location services (in that order).. One of these things worked for me. Once GPS was working again I reenabled locate by google and it still worked fine..still is.

Maybe it was just coincidence that it started working after I tried these things, I have no idea.

It seemed to me that the wifi was what made it work because I was in google maps and as soon as I connected to wifi google maps instantly found my location. Again, it could be coincidence.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast