Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I'm in london ontario and my gps has been screwed for a couple days now. I opened locarion service, preferences and unchecked use google services. Seems to be working fine now.
    I tried that and it indeed pick up my location on both google maps and sprint nav. Sprint nav though still can't seem to generate a route to a destination because it apparently 'cant find my location'...even though it knows where I am.

EDIT: With google services off, I tried to use the Nav on the way home and it worked! I guess the Nav part of the system needs more satellites to track the route, compared to one just finding my current location? I could be totally wrong
    Last edited by bradley_80; 01/31/2010 at 04:32 PM.
    Silly question? does any of you with GPS problems have the Trapster app installed? I was having issues with the gps about a week ago, then I got an update on the Trapster app and the gps started working right away, now is no longer working again - Frustrating
    I do have Trapster installed right now
    I'm in Red Deer, AB and noticed similar problems on Bell. More frequently after the 1.3.5.1 update, I would get the cell tower, but not my actual location. If I travelled out side of a particular cell tower's range, Google Maps would persistently report that I hadn't moved!

Quote Originally Posted by prequan View Post
    I'm in london ontario and my gps has ben screwed for a couple days now. I opened locarion service, preferences and unchecked use google services. Seems to be working fine now.
    I tried this and I can confirm that I am now getting a proper GPS pinpoint in Google Maps.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    ...and just like that my GPS starting working perfectly this morning! I didn't do anything between last night and this morning, not even a reset. Must have been a Bell mobility problem which was fixed this morning. Anyone else have GPS suddenly start working?
    I'm already at work & didn't get a chance to try out the GPS while outdoors yet..

I try it now at the office, and as usual the a-GPS cell tower triangulation isn't working but that hasn't worked in a few months. Google maps finally pinpoint's me & determines that I'm still at home, 50km away from where I currently am, which is where I think the LAST place I was to get a good GPS fix.. doh

I still haven't tried that GPS tweak, maybe in the next couple days..
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    I'm already at work & didn't get a chance to try out the GPS while outdoors yet..

I try it now at the office, and as usual the a-GPS cell tower triangulation isn't working but that hasn't worked in a few months. Google maps finally pinpoint's me & determines that I'm still at home, 50km away from where I currently am, which is where I think the LAST place I was to get a good GPS fix.. doh

I still haven't tried that GPS tweak, maybe in the next couple days..
    You have to try the GPS tweak. I'm indoors and get a lock on GPS satellites in seconds. Awesome! Worth the time spent to get it going. Don't forget to call Bell technical support during the day to get your MSL code though as you don't want to be fiddling with this tweak without your MSL code handy.

I'm curious...has anyone else found that their GPS on the Bell Pre has suddenly started working this morning?
    Like I told ya Quintis, it started working yesterday once I unchecked google services. I doubt that was the only issue but it works now
    Quote Originally Posted by vinistois View Post
    He said the GPS servers are down... but anyone that knows anything about GPS knows that there are no GPS servers.
    Actually there are, that's the 'Assistance' portion of Assisted GPS. Getting the signals from the satellites and comparing them isn't enough, you have to know the orbits of those satellites for that to be of any use. The satellites themselves transmit this information, but only very slowly (a single satellite takes 12.5 minutes to transmit the almanac... the system was designed in the early 80s after all) so that's where the assistance kicks in. Your phone contacts a server on your provider's network to get the almanac, then boom!, your phone does the math and gets a near instant fix. Apple has convinced the world that AGPS means cell tower triangulation, but that really isn't it... it does involve a server.

I've been reading through that other thread about increasing the functionality of the Pre's GPS but haven't done it yet. Has anyone who lives in the GPS "dead zone" tried the tweak and did it help?
    I did, and after I cleared all the flags for the assistance and AFLT modes I got a fix and thought that I had cured the problem, but the issue was back again a day later so maybe all I did was hit a window where Bell's servers were back up. It could be that it only truly goes autonomous if it knows that you're in airplane mode, deferring to an external server (working or not) as long as it's got a data connection.

My blackberry toting friend called Bell (his GPS has been up and down too) and they did admit that there was a problem on their CDMA network but not the new GSM one. Grrrr.

Ah well, at least it was back up again this morning. For the moment...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by bradley_80 View Post
    Like I told ya Quintis, it started working yesterday once I unchecked google services. I doubt that was the only issue but it works now
    WOWEE I tried turning Google Services off, and for the first time in a few months the AGPS started working, woohooo!! Google Maps now is giving me a generally accurate location, bouncing from near-perfect to about 1.4 miles SouthWest of my current position, which is probably as good as cell tower triangulation will get me. I'm still totally indoors (thick building), and can't wait to try it outside!

So, Bell has sheepishly admitted to a few people that there WAS a physical problem with the Bell/AGPS network after all?

ktessner thanks for your detailed information especially about the AGPS and how it functions. Tell me though, even if the "GPS server" was off-line wouldn't my GPS work if I waited long enough (+12 minutes) for the Pre's satellite almanac to refresh?
    Tell me though, even if the "GPS server" was off-line wouldn't my GPS work if I waited long enough (+12 minutes) for the Pre's satellite almanac to refresh?
    It didn't seem to for me, but I didn't actually stand outside for that length of time to see what happened either, just used it on the touchstone in my car on a long drive. (Usually in the car it seems to see the satellites just fine and gives me accuracy of a meter or two.) During the outage and with 'autonomous' turned on, ##GPS# and/or Sprint Nav would still come up with an error message no matter how long my Pre had been out in the car.

That's why I say "It could be that it only truly goes autonomous if it knows that you're in airplane mode, deferring to an external server (working or not) as long as it's got a data connection.", but really, that's just me guessing at this point...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    I'm in Toronto, it started working for me this morning as well. Obviously a Bell problem. If this happens again I will be calling Bell, hope everyone else does the same, maybe if they get a few calls about the same issue they will get their ***** to fix the problem faster
    Last edited by zx600; 02/01/2010 at 04:31 PM.
    I called them and I apparently was 'the first person to call about this issue.' Oh Bell
    Can any Bell Sprint nav user confirm that we are not receiving an extra charge for using Sprint nav (other than reg. data use)?
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bradley_80 View Post
    Can any Bell Sprint nav user confirm that we are not receiving an extra charge for using Sprint nav (other than reg. data use)?
    Confirmed. No charges, just data.
  17. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Worked perfectly for me last night.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    Ya it is working great. The odd time though it will work, but say I am a kilometer or so away from where I actually am. Might be doing the GPS tweak to solve that
    mine has been working on and off the past few days. Wasn't working yesterday morning, but been working perfectly since yesterday afternoon. But, for all I know it won't work again tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    mine has been working on and off the past few days. Wasn't working yesterday morning, but been working perfectly since yesterday afternoon. But, for all I know it won't work again tomorrow.
    Mine has been spot on and consistently working since Monday morning. Hopefully it lasts....
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast