Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Just called Bell. The guy on the phone did not have a solution nor did he confirm that this is a widespread problem (Said i was one of the first people to call with the issue). He then escalated the problem. ##gps# gives an error. Ugh, I hate Bell
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    I'll add myself to the list of people on Bell who cannot get a GPS fix. Happened in the last two days or so. No problems before that.
    It mustve been working for a bit because I did pick up a signal at my house over the course of a few hours. With that being said though, on my way to work this morning it still said I was located at my house...now I think it reverted back to not working
    Yeah I'm in Ontario Canada and my Pre's GPS has been glitchy for the past week or 2.. but it started working for a while a couple days ago, but is again dead now. It's "sort of" good to know this is a system problem and (probably?) not something wrong with my phone.

I've been reading through that other thread about increasing the functionality of the Pre's GPS but haven't done it yet. Has anyone who lives in the GPS "dead zone" tried the tweak and did it help?

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ed-cached.html

Quote Originally Posted by bradley_80 View Post
    It mustve been working for a bit because I did pick up a signal at my house over the course of a few hours. With that being said though, on my way to work this morning it still said I was located at my house...now I think it reverted back to not working
    That happens to mine too & is FRUSTRATING when the map is claiming I'm still at a previous location when in fact I'm miles away from it.. maybe that's a clue to the problem?
    I'm at Bell in Montreal. No gps problems. Maybe it's the weather/clouds that are the problem.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    Yeah I'm in Ontario Canada and my Pre's GPS has been glitchy for the past week or 2.. but it started working for a while a couple days ago, but is again dead now. It's "sort of" good to know this is a system problem and (probably?) not something wrong with my phone.

I've been reading through that other thread about increasing the functionality of the Pre's GPS but haven't done it yet. Has anyone who lives in the GPS "dead zone" tried the tweak and did it help?

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ed-cached.html
    Just posted results in that thread. No amount of tweaking got the GPS to work in my area (Ontario, Canada). Frustrating....I sure hope Bell manages to identify and fix this problem soon.

As an aside, though, that tweak worked great when the GPS was working. The lock-on to satellites was way quicker and much more powerful as I was able to get a lock indoors where before I could not. Definitely worth it, just not the solution to the present problem.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blatherdrift View Post
    I'm at Bell in Montreal. No gps problems. Maybe it's the weather/clouds that are the problem.
    That would not be good. I could see if we were in a major storm or the like but there has been nothing unusual about the weather this weekend. I sure hope our GPS chip is not that sensitive to weather conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by blatherdrift View Post
    Whatever the problem is, I can verify it has nothing to do with the orbiting satellites overhead. I have dedicated GPS equipment and right now it's getting a strong lock on 6 satellites, but when I try the Pre it craps out claiming "unable to determine my location"

So satellite GPS isn't working on the Pre, also the Pre's cell tower "a-GPS" isn't working either and there seems to be too many people in this thread complaining about the same problem for it to not be a coincidence
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Whatever the problem is, I can verify it has nothing to do with the orbiting satellites overhead. I have dedicated GPS equipment and right now it's getting a strong lock on 6 satellites, but when I try the Pre it craps out claiming "unable to determine my location"...
    Good to know that orbiting satellites are not falling from the sky.

Gotta maintain a sense of humour about these things.

Seriously though, thanks for that info. It at least narrows things down to a problem with the phone or with Bell Mobility's network. I'm leaning towards the latter.
    Ya this is getting on my nerves. I don't get how Bell can't give us any answers
    Last edited by bradley_80; 01/31/2010 at 09:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    Just posted results in that thread. No amount of tweaking got the GPS to work in my area (Ontario, Canada). Frustrating....I sure hope Bell manages to identify and fix this problem soon.

As an aside, though, that tweak worked great when the GPS was working. The lock-on to satellites was way quicker and much more powerful as I was able to get a lock indoors where before I could not. Definitely worth it, just not the solution to the present problem.
    Thanks Quintus for checking that. Yeah I do hope Bell gets their,, umm,, 'stuff' together soon I'm a Geocacher and have really enjoyed some of the webOS apps for that.
    I plan to do that Pre-GPS tweak soon. Did you have much trouble getting that MSL code from Bell?
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    I plan to do that Pre-GPS tweak soon. Did you have much trouble getting that MSL code from Bell?
    None at all. I called tech support and told them that I had spent hours with Palm trying to troubleshoot a problem with my radios (wifi, GPS, evdo etc..) and that Palm told me to call them to get my MSL code in order that they could continue troubleshooting the problem. I sounded frustrated and ****ed-off on the phone to dissuade them from giving me a hassle. (i.e. "I just spent 2 hours with Palm support and now they tell me that I need some MSL code or something from Bell in order for them to keep helping me out. Do you know what that is and can you give it to me ASAP so that I could get back to Palm? Thanks.")

Not sure if you need the theatrics but I threw it in there for good measure.
    GPS still not working my fellow Bell Ontarians?
    Im in Calgary, AB. Canada. I routinely loose signal.
    One minute its working fine...the next its like i shut the gps off.
    No clue as to why.
    Only saving grace is that I'm not using the GPS every day, all the time so when I do, it has usually found itself again.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I just got the Palm Pre Plus on Verizon and it is doing the same thing, my guess is it is something within the Pre itself.

My wife's Pixi on Verizon works fine.

Hopefully this will be fixed in the next Palm update that is coming.
    Why would bell be able to give us any answers. They had the worst customer service and technical assistance out of the Big 3 carriers. The best was Virgin Mobile.
    Bell bought VM out last year.

So that begs the question, why would anyone be surprised about anything Bell has issues with?

As for the GPS issue...it sounds more like a software issue on the carrier side with a twinkle of an WebOS bug thrown in for good measure.
    For all we know, upgrades to the 911 location stuff (at the towers) is screwing up the gps...
    Fair enough. It is getting a little ridiculous though either way you look at it. We are paying for a phone that advertises these services which are available for us to use; yet they really aren't functioning. I wonder what would come of taking a strip off Bell and saying that one of the main usages of the phone is its GPS capabilities. Maybe they'll compensate...but then again it is Bell
    I thought I'd chime in on the because my Bell Pre has occasional GPS problems as well. I'm in the GTA and sometimes it works, sometimes I get errors, and sometimes I have to be moving to get it to work. The only app that seems to never have a problem GPS locking is minimaps.

I've done the hash code for GPS and it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. The problem I figure is due to the AGPS part. If your not near six towers the phone has a harder time triangulating it's self properly and I figure that probably why moving makes it pickup and locate faster.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Edmonton here, Not working for me either. Google Maps just shows the last location I got a lock, that being work. The hash code does give me results though. Have no idea if they are accurate though.

*edit* wondered if dev mode could have been the culprit, disabled, restarted, and now I get a connection error.
    Last edited by jonnypage; 01/31/2010 at 01:33 PM.
    Even when I'm moving though I cannot pick up my location. I've never had this much trounle with any other gps system before. Bell seems to be the culprit
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast