Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47
  1.    #1  
    Wow....I have been really bummed lately. My battery life was nothing short of atrocious, yes...atrocious....since 1.3.5 (or at least around that time). I tried everything including running the doctor, removing all patches and introducing them one at a time to try and pinpoint if one of them was causing this and of course turing everything off that I could (Location services, GPS, IM, etc...) with no success.

    I know this is not a new idea but I decided to try and change my Gmail account to sync from "As they arrive" to "30 minutes". This was absolutely 100% the problem with draining my battery. It's barely even 24 hours since I made the change and it's a significant difference. I am a happy camper once again.

    So everyone with battery drain issues please try this because it was a huge success for me.

    Werd
    There is no spoon
  2. imekul's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    #2  
    Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

    Out of curiosity, what's your average battery life like now, do you think?
  3. #3  
    yea, push email is really bad for battery life, because it means the phone is constantly checking for new mail. even setting for every 5 or 10 minutes would significantly increase battery life. don't use push email unless it's something you absolutely have to have.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    yea, push email is really bad for battery life, because it means the phone is constantly checking for new mail. even setting for every 5 or 10 minutes would significantly increase battery life. don't use push email unless it's something you absolutely have to have.
    I am a launch day owner and and had it on the "push" setting since day one and never had the battery issues like I have lately. Weird
    There is no spoon
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by imekul View Post
    Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

    Out of curiosity, what's your average battery life like now, do you think?
    I'll need a few days.

    Came off of the touchstone today at 7:15am. It's now 1:40 and I am at 67% (I am a heavy user). I probably would of been at 30% two days ago. It was literally that bad
    There is no spoon
  6. hjmillre's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #6  
    Thanks I'll have to try that on mine to see if it improves my battery life.
  7. imekul's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    #7  
    By the way, I'm not sure that push e-mail is all that bad. Push doesn't mean it's constantly checking, but that the server notifies the device when there is something new... right? There might be some sort of "keep-alive" back-and-forth going on between the phone and the server, but that's not as bad as checking every 30 seconds or every minute -- I think.

    I'm not sure, but I think this is correct.
  8. #8  
    when i got my launch day pre i set it to 15 minutes...my battery was terrible...a friend of mine told me to put it as they arrive and it was completely perfect...battery is awesome now
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  9. ToddPsyD's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    yea, push email is really bad for battery life, because it means the phone is constantly checking for new mail. even setting for every 5 or 10 minutes would significantly increase battery life. don't use push email unless it's something you absolutely have to have.
    Is this true? I thought with push, it used some type of equation that would adjust the time period of checking (pushing?) based on your email pattern. In other words if you didnt get that many emails it wont check as often? For example my Yahoo account doesnt get that much mail, and its typical for it to be delayed getting to my pre by 10 minutes even though its set to immediate. But my exchange email through work (which gets lots of email) comes to my pre almost immediately (if not before my desktop).
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by toddpsyd View Post
    Is this true? I thought with push, it used some type of equation that would adjust the time period of checking (pushing?) based on your email pattern. In other words if you didnt get that many emails it wont check as often? For example my Yahoo account doesnt get that much mail, and its typical for it to be delayed getting to my pre by 10 minutes even though its set to immediate. But my exchange email through work (which gets lots of email) comes to my pre almost immediately (if not before my desktop).
    no it's not true.

    the device isn't doing any checking. your mail provider is "pushing" or forcing the email to the device.

    it's not like phones are constantly searching for text messages.

    the difference in your exchange and yahoo mail delivery times is totally dependent on the sending service.
  11. #11  
    What worked for me was adjusting the timer to 15 minutes...
  12. ToddPsyD's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    yea, push email is really bad for battery life, because it means the phone is constantly checking for new mail. even setting for every 5 or 10 minutes would significantly increase battery life. don't use push email unless it's something you absolutely have to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by chud311 View Post
    no it's not true.

    the device isn't doing any checking. your mail provider is "pushing" or forcing the email to the device.

    it's not like phones are constantly searching for text messages.

    the difference in your exchange and yahoo mail delivery times is totally dependent on the sending service.

    Thank you Sir
  13. #13  
    does that apply to exchange account too?
  14. #14  
    yes.
  15. ksom's Avatar
    Posts
    355 Posts
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blipstein View Post
    I am a launch day owner and and had it on the "push" setting since day one and never had the battery issues like I have lately. Weird
    Are you getting more frequent emails? recently?

    If there was some changes in how Gmail syncs, I think Palm should be able to figure out a way to make it more efficient.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    Are you getting more frequent emails? recently?

    If there was some changes in how Gmail syncs, I think Palm should be able to figure out a way to make it more efficient.
    No. Everything has been pretty consistant in terms of how many emails I receive.

    Update: it is 4:26 and I am at 41%. This is crazy good compared to what I was dealing with. As I mentioned, I have always had it on the "push" setting but have never had "major" battery issues until recently. Honestly this is looking like this is the best the battery has worked for me since I have had the phone. But, I'll wait a few days before I start celebrating.
    There is no spoon
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blipstein View Post
    I am a launch day owner and and had it on the "push" setting since day one and never had the battery issues like I have lately. Weird
    I am in the same boat. I have a post-launch day pre (though I had a launch pre that had to be exchanged due to oreo-cookie twisting). My battery has usually been consistent (6-9% drain per hour on light usage), but lately it has been quite random: between 18-23% drain per hour during light usage for no good reason (tried everything, including uninstalling patches and doctoring). And then sometimes it goes back to normal. FYI, signal strength is rarely an issue where I live, metropolitan Los Angeles.

    I am still looking for a solution; I currently have to be very near a charging source to make sure it doesn't die on me. I'll let you know how turning off push works for me.
  18. #18  
    I believe it would be helpful to have a rating system on what does and does not cause significant battery drainage. Just a thought.
  19. Freshyz's Avatar
    Posts
    905 Posts
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by toddpsyd View Post
    Is this true? I thought with push, it used some type of equation that would adjust the time period of checking (pushing?) based on your email pattern. In other words if you didnt get that many emails it wont check as often? For example my Yahoo account doesnt get that much mail, and its typical for it to be delayed getting to my pre by 10 minutes even though its set to immediate. But my exchange email through work (which gets lots of email) comes to my pre almost immediately (if not before my desktop).
    'As items arrives' has been deemed the best solution for battery life since the beginning. There are many threads explaining how and why this is better. Why the original post user is having opposite results is strange and questionable to me. Not that their doing anything wrong or inaccurate, it just goes against everything I've ever researched here.. .
  20. #20  
    "As items arrive" results in far better battery life for me as well. I have two different Gmail accounts and my business IMAP account all using IMAP IDLE (which is what 'As items arrive' enables) and my battery life is great.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions