Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    yea, push email is really bad for battery life, because it means the phone is constantly checking for new mail. even setting for every 5 or 10 minutes would significantly increase battery life. don't use push email unless it's something you absolutely have to have.
    This is totally inaccurate. You may want to look up "Push Email" and in specific "IMAP Idle email".
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    'As items arrives' has been deemed the best solution for battery life since the beginning. There are many threads explaining how and why this is better. Why the original post user is having opposite results is strange and questionable to me. Not that their doing anything wrong or inaccurate, it just goes against everything I've ever researched here.. .

I hear ya....but let me reassure you that I switched it off of "As it arrives" and it made an immediate difference. So you must take everything you read with a grain of salt. I'm not at the rooting level but I think I am fairly knowledgeable with the Pre. I got it on launch day and was on Precentral.net months before it came out. I was there for the birth of Homebrew and all that good stuff. The reason why I am telling you this is because you are questioning me (which is understandable based on the information out there) and I want to make sure you know that this is coming from a good source.
    There is no spoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Blipstein View Post
    I hear ya....but let me reassure you that I switched it off of "As it arrives" and it made an immediate difference. So you must take everything you read with a grain of salt. I'm not at the rooting level but I think I am fairly knowledgeable with the Pre. I got it on launch day and was on Precentral.net months before it came out. I was there for the birth of Homebrew and all that good stuff. The reason why I am telling you this is because you are questioning me and I want to make sure you know that this is coming from a good source.
    I don't doubt what you are saying at all, but clearly what you are describing is due to a bug because IMAP IDLE (in both theory and practice) results in better battery life.

Have you tried deleting and then re-adding the account in question?

Hopefully they'll have a fix for you in 1.4
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    I don't doubt what you are saying at all, but clearly what you are describing is due to a bug because IMAP IDLE (in both theory and practice) results in better battery life.

Have you tried deleting and then re-adding the account in question?

Hopefully they'll have a fix for you in 1.4

Yes. I've done hard resets as well as doctor'd it which of course required me to re-enter all of my account information.

I know this doesnt make sense but it worked. I highly doubt that it was something else that happened right at the exact same time that I made the change...especially since I have been paying attention to my battery and trying new things for the last 3 weeks. But I guess anything is possible
    There is no spoon
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I've seen a decrease in battery life and an increase in lag since the 1.3.5.2 update. The lag gets ridiculous at times. The browser doesn't render web pages as reliably any more either. Generally the OS seems a little, it's not unstable, just slow. I pensively await 1.4 with crossed fingers.
    Last edited by laze; 01/25/2010 at 04:44 PM.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    Is having multiple email accounts (in my case 7) something that affects the battery life?

I am going to try that switch of "as item arrives" to 30 min on my 2 important accounts and so on to the least important accounts.
    Wow....I have been really bummed lately. My battery life was nothing short of atrocious, yes...atrocious....since 1.3.5 (or at least around that time). I tried everything including running the doctor, removing all patches and introducing them one at a time to try and pinpoint if one of them was causing this and of course turing everything off that I could (Location services, GPS, IM, etc...) with no success.

I know this is not a new idea but I decided to try and change my Gmail account to sync from "As they arrive" to "30 minutes". This was absolutely 100% the problem with draining my battery. It's barely even 24 hours since I made the change and it's a significant difference. I am a happy camper once again.

So everyone with battery drain issues please try this because it was a huge success for me.

Werd

Hmmmm, take a look at this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1736571

It says the exact opposite of your post above, it says "As Items Arrive is best if available".

I remember this being a really hot topic back in the day when we were all new to the Pre.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Hmmmm, take a look at this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1736571

It says the exact opposite of your post above, it says "As Items Arrive is best if available".

I remember this being a really hot topic back in the day when we were all new to the Pre.

This was addressed earlier in the thread. I am fully aware of this. But I promise you that there is a dramitic difference since the change. If fact, as i type this (7:05pm) I still have over 20% battery life remaining and it has not been on my touchstone once today. This is unprecidented for me.
    There is no spoon
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    It depends on how often you get email. Here's Palm's tips on battery saving and email (many other tips in link).

Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - My battery drains quickly

Settings you can use to save power

Check email less often. How much power checking email uses depends on a number of variables, including the type of account, how many email messages you receive a day, and whether you are downloading a lot of attachments. These guidelines may help you:

* Using an Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) account that is set to receive email as it arrives is generally efficient. However, if you receive many email messages each day, you may be able to reduce power consumption by using an interval such as every 15 minutes or longer. To change the interval, open Email , open the application menu, and tap Preferences & Accounts. Tap the EAS account name, tap Get email, and set how frequently to synchronize email.
    * Using a web-based email account that is set to receive email as it arrives is not as efficient as using an EAS account. This is true even if you are not receiving a lot of emails. You can reduce battery consumption by using an interval such as every 15 minutes or longer on web-based accounts.
    Can anyone tell me where I find the "As they arrive Option"? Mine starts @ 15min and goes up from there to Manual.
    Quote Originally Posted by jharsh88 View Post
    Can anyone tell me where I find the "As they arrive Option"? Mine starts @ 15min and goes up from there to Manual.
    Your probably using POP
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    I hear ya....but let me reassure you that I switched it off of "As it arrives" and it made an immediate difference. So you must take everything you read with a grain of salt. I'm not at the rooting level but I think I am fairly knowledgeable with the Pre. I got it on launch day and was on Precentral.net months before it came out. I was there for the birth of Homebrew and all that good stuff. The reason why I am telling you this is because you are questioning me (which is understandable based on the information out there) and I want to make sure you know that this is coming from a good source.
    I'm at about the same level is you it's just that "as item arrives" as a battery saver has come up so many times and my experience has been confirming that it works better for me..
    Seems like 1.3.5.1 may have changed things a bit. I'm seeing your not alone in your findings.. (apparently the battery drain is backwards on WiFi too as people are seeing a drain more than a gain on that too)
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jharsh88 View Post
    ? ? ?
    So 'as item arrives' is NOT right above 5 minutes?
    I use IMAP if that makes a difference?
    This was addressed earlier in the thread. I am fully aware of this. But I promise you that there is a dramitic difference since the change. If fact, as i type this (7:05pm) I still have over 20% battery life remaining and it has not been on my touchstone once today. This is unprecidented for me.
    Hmmm, won't hurt to try it ... I'll give it a spin.
    I have three gmail accounts - one set at 15 min the others set at 5 min, rss pushes on the phone about 120 minuits today, running the sideo 2600ma battery off the charger at 7:30 am this morning 7:00 pm now battery at 82%

Big batt is a good thing!
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    With battery monitor and my gmail set to check every 10 min I used to drain like 2.5%ish every hour with minimal use.

Now I put it to an hour and I am seeing like 1.42-82% drain an hour... pretty good for me
    I thought having push email would ruin my battery life so i never used it when i first got my phone. I turned it on a couple weeks ago and haven't really noticed a difference in my battery life.

What drains life the most for me is using IM services. God damn that just dumps my battery like a *****.
    As someone who's read rfc2177 (the spec for IMAP IDLE), let me give a short overview of how it works. At the end of this, I hope you will understand the circumstances under which it will consume less and more battery.

The WebOS email application makes a connection to an IMAP server. That connection first syncs up all data on the server with the client - typically only downloading email headers, and then when requested, downloading the email body. Once the email client is synced to the server, it will issue the "IDLE" command to the server. If the server supports IDLE, what it does is keeps the connection open, but inactive and monitors the state of emails for the account logged into that connection. When something new happens (like a new email arrives) the server wakes up the connection and sends something to the client instructing it to get the new email.

Now, if you receive a lot of email, then the client and the server are basically using the data connection frequently. This causes a lot of battery drain. In this case, you'd be better of limiting your client to only download email on set intervals. Because between the intervals, the data connection is not being used.

On the other hand, if you receive infrequent emails, then you're better off using IMAP IDLE. Because then you don't have to use the data connection to check for new email that isn't there. The server will wake up and tell you when you've got new email only when you've got it.

Here's another way to think of it. Pretend you set your email client to check for email every 15 minutes. If, on average, you receive more than one email every 15 minutes, then you're better off checking only once every 15 minutes. You use the data connection less. But if the average amount of time between emails for you is more than 15 minutes, then you're better off using IMAP IDLE than "15 minutes". That rule works for any time period. If you receive more than one email every hour, then you're better off setting your email to check every hour than you are with IMAP IDLE. But if the average amount of time between emails is >1hour, then you're better off using IMAP IDLE than 1 hour.

There is one caveat to this. The IMAP client is required to reset the IDLE state every so often, by reissuing the IDLE command. The RFC recommends that this be every 29 minutes. Issuing the IDLE command is quite a bit less battery draining than checking for and downloading an email.

In any case the general rule is this: IMAP IDLE saves battery for low volume email accounts. A polling period saves battery for high volume email accounts.

All of this being said, I do *not* know how GMAIL, YAHOO or Exchange push email works. GMAIL & YAHOO *might* use IMAP IDLE, in which case the above should apply to them too. Exchange appears to do something similar to IMAP IDLE, but I don't know how it works.

Hope this is helpful.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    On the other hand, if you receive infrequent emails, then you're better off using IMAP IDLE. Because then you don't have to use the data connection to check for new email that isn't there. The server will wake up and tell you when you've got new email only when you've got it.
    Okay so I was right for my situation then. I average only 2 emails a day and when mine was set to every 15min+ it drained noticeably. Having it set to 'as item arrives' keeps me going all day without a top-off charge.
    I mainly use Gmail and have 2 Hotmail accounts that are pulled through Gmail using IMAP.

If I received a ton of emails for whatever reason, I would set it to check approximately as often as I can realistically check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    It depends on how often you get email. Here's Palm's tips on battery saving and email (many other tips in link).

Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - My battery drains quickly
    Spares post hits it RIGHT on the nose. This is more than empirical evidence as this is SPECIFIC evidence from a large pool of users (100+). You can see from my sig I have been a smart phone user for quite a while and I was also a Sys Admin in an Exchange 2K and 2K3 environment. I as well as my users experienced full cap drain within 2-4 hours consistently with "As items" arrive on Treos 600 & 650, Centros, Blackjacks I & II, and even some Blackberries, (non BES).

Lost after doing everything short of reimaging the exchange boxes, I did notice my phone was 'on fire' hot, and asking around revealed the same conclusion. This obviously meant the radio was on almost full time (i.e. similar to a long phone call) and I backed off the sync to "Every 5 mins". Voila! Phone no longer on fire and batt drain back to normal levels. I tested this with a few sample users and that was it. Memo sent, all users change to any setting other than "as arrive" and I'm the hero.

I tested this again with my Pre (I'm not an Sys Admin on this job) and sure enough, "fire phone" returned and Pre was dead in 2 hours, 35 mins. I currently have EAS, private IMAP, 2 GMail, and Yahoo! accounts syncing from 5 to 15 mins and all is perfect.

Grains of salt and all, Palm posted it up as it is.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast