Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I think flash should drop today. Just for the fact that the debut of the Pre is today, I think this would lure more customers into buying a palm phone. Would be a smart move on the behalf of Palm.
    Palm is waiting on Adobe for flash, I believe. And having an incomplete or really buggy version out would be worse than not having one at all, IMO. I don't mind waiting a few days to get a more polished version.
    I don't think there's a should about it.

When it's done it's done, I don't think we should mix business with it.
    i've just been not thinking about it, whenever it comes it'll be a welcome surprise
    This signature for rent
    I agree- Palm has done us VERY well as far as software goes within WEBOS- They have been releasing updates slowly, albeit with steady pace. Id rather see something very refinely polished and quality come out a lil later than pop out a buggy piece of junk now... it just leaves a bad taste in ones mouth. I think their working twords a reputation of some well refined programming.
    I was hoping to get Flash about now to break up the monotony before 1.4 is released. And since the world comes to an end--or, is that a new beginning?--on the 27th, I figure Palm should go ahead and release it. What do they have to lose?

/sarc, for those who might otherwise miss it
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    I don't think there's a should about it.

When it's done it's done, I don't think we should mix business with it.
    Except it IS business.
    From a business perspective, launching it shortly after Apple's big news this Wednesday (within about a week) makes the most sense. It says "Oh, is that what you're doing? Well, you still don't have THIS."
    I'm confused, I thought there was going to be a beta version availble through the app catalog before 1.4 comes out.

Did they give up on that idea of releasing a beta version?
    Is the 1.4 now going to have a beta flash instead of a finalized version?

There's no point in a beta if you're going to release a final version a few days or a couple weeks after. So I'm really not sure what the hell happened here.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I'm confused, I thought there was going to be a beta version availble through the app catalog before 1.4 comes out.

Did they give up on that idea of releasing a beta version?
    Is the 1.4 now going to have a beta flash instead of a finalized version?

There's no point in a beta if you're going to release a final version a few days or a couple weeks after. So I'm really not sure what the hell happened here.
    Well, some possibilities:

We see evidence that 1.4 is coming out later in the month of February.

Flash will not be a part of webOS but, like the beta, will be an app that gets downloaded from the store, and therefore they could release the beta the day before 1.4 hits and some weeks later release the full version and have it work only on 1.4.

They have seen no problems and so a beta is not necessary. (I know, not likely!)
    My prediction is that Palm will be releasing Flash on Saturday... since it's my birthday lol
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Well, some possibilities:
    Flash will not be a part of webOS but, like the beta, will be an app that gets downloaded from the store, and therefore they could release the beta the day before 1.4 hits and some weeks later release the full version and have it work only on 1.4.

They have seen no problems and so a beta is not necessary. (I know, not likely!)
    I could be wrong but I thought the announcement said the beta was going to be download but the final version was going to be included in 1.4?
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I could be wrong but I thought the announcement said the beta was going to be download but the final version was going to be included in 1.4?
    I never got that it would be included, but of course I could be wrong on that.
    Pretty sure you are correct
    Quote Originally Posted by deltatko1 View Post
    Pretty sure you are correct
    Me too:

WebOS 1.4 coming in February with built-in Flash, video, etc
    Quote Originally Posted by brendilon View Post
    Except it IS business.
    From a business perspective, launching it shortly after Apple's big news this Wednesday (within about a week) makes the most sense. It says "Oh, is that what you're doing? Well, you still don't have THIS."
    They could scoop Apple in a big way by releasing a GSM Pre/Pixi on AT&T
    (Wishful thinking, I know!)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Me too. I think I signed up for the Adobe beta notification back in November. What was the point if the Beta was going to be downloadable from the app catalog and only a few weeks before the final release?
    Quote Originally Posted by zentraed View Post
    Me too. I think I signed up for the Adobe beta notification back in November. What was the point if the Beta was going to be downloadable from the app catalog and only a few weeks before the final release?
    Things change...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by brendilon View Post
    Except it IS business.
    That as my complaint, if they release it because of business but not because the technology is actually ready then it will lead to failure and more complaints.

Now let's say they finished up testing and where ready to release at the beginning of last week, then I don't care when they release it. But if they are weeks away from a stable product and they release it today (as is very common when business doesn't know it's place in technology), I'm sure there will be alot of complaints, and a lot of lost potential.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Not to be mean, but I think it's amusing how so many people keep thinking that Palm is the one creating apps... there are tons of posts complaining that Palm needs to push out more apps, but Palm has said time and time again that they are doing their best to keep their hands off of the app experience. It's up to developers, not Palm!
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    Not to be mean, but I think it's amusing how so many people keep thinking that Palm is the one creating apps... there are tons of posts complaining that Palm needs to push out more apps, but Palm has said time and time again that they are doing their best to keep their hands off of the app experience. It's up to developers, not Palm!
    Palm has provided the tools to make what we need rather than handing us what we think we want/need or like apple who says we will cook for you but were certainly not going to tell you whats in it- you just EAT.... basically- they are focusing their time on refining the actual operating end of the phone and making it as smooth, seamless and efficient as possible. All of this while letting us reap the benefits of our own work and needs by developing whats truely needed... Kind of like the iPhone and the iTouch.... they have what- a bakers dozen worth of FART applications?> seriously... is it that important for our phones to FART! OMG... Ours are going to have FLASH hahaha.... anyways if you need an app- put up a request and someones bound to say theyd like it too and some dev will probably write it just bc they can- that kind of thing IS in fact fun for some people.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast