Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I am sorry if this issue is a duplicate post, as I did do some searching and was not able to find my issue.

I am using Radiotime to stream local radio on my pre. I listen through Altec Lansing 9XXBackBeat Stereo Bluetooth headphones. When I stream using wifi, the service cuts out after varying amounts of time. When streaming with EVDO, it is stable for hours.

I can listen to Pandora for hours without issue using Wifi, or EVDO. I contacted Radio Time and they explained to me that Pandora is basically stream MP3 music which is different than what RadioTime is doing. They have stated that they have many Pre users that have no issues and have not heard of this issue. I have unlimited on EVDO, so it is really not a big deal, but I would like to make this work. I have NO patches that should be turning off wifi for battery savings, etc. I can just doctor my pre and see if I have the same issue with the "sterile" pre, but was hoping that someone had the same issue and was able to find out what was up.

Thank you in advance!!
    I experienced something like this with Pandora for a while but haven't used Radiotime.

Essentially my problem resulted from using Wifi with Bluetooth (they both run on the same frequency, and while their not supposed to bother each other I'm sure this was the problem), I found that the easiest solution for me was to flash the firmware of the router to dd-wrt, which is an opensource very fully-featured firmware comparable on many Linksys routers. I then went through the options and one detailed bluetooth compatibility and I have had no more problems so far.

This might not be a reasonable solution if you want wifi at work, but from what I heard if you experience a problem with the two technologies conflicting you either have to use a wired headset or use EVDO.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    I experienced something like this with Pandora for a while but haven't used Radiotime.

Essentially my problem resulted from using Wifi with Bluetooth (they both run on the same frequency, and while their not supposed to bother each other I'm sure this was the problem), I found that the easiest solution for me was to flash the firmware of the router to dd-wrt, which is an opensource very fully-featured firmware comparable on many Linksys routers. I then went through the options and one detailed bluetooth compatibility and I have had no more problems so far.

This might not be a reasonable solution if you want wifi at work, but from what I heard if you experience a problem with the two technologies conflicting you either have to use a wired headset or use EVDO.
    thank you for the help. I understand that this could be the problem, but what I don't understand is why I can listen to Pandora for hours using wifi and my bluetooth and not have a problem at all. Is it because Pandora streams music differently than RadioTime?
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoso View Post
    thank you for the help. I understand that this could be the problem, but what I don't understand is why I can listen to Pandora for hours using wifi and my bluetooth and not have a problem at all. Is it because Pandora streams music differently than RadioTime?
    The stream implementation is the same, but the streams are different. One is an mp3 download. The other is a continuous stream. Pandora downloads a single mp3 and plays it back while downloading it. RadioTime takes a stream into the buffer and constantly plays it back while downloading it. There's never a stop there like there is with Pandora (when the song switches, it downloads another mp3 and plays it back).

Due to the large number of patches, RadioTime can't support everything and really, it's an issue that hasn't been seen before. Given that there are over 100,000 downloads of RadioTime right now, I'm sure we would have seen this issue a lot if it was a problem with the application itself. But, the streaming implementation is the same on RadioTime as it is with any other audio application. There's really only one way to implement audio in WebOS so the code varies only in terms of developer naming conventions between audio apps.

Doc
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I get this sometimes too whilst streaming over WiFi and using BT. And I get it in the Ampache apps as well.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocLee View Post
    The stream implementation is the same, but the streams are different. One is an mp3 download. The other is a continuous stream. Pandora downloads a single mp3 and plays it back while downloading it. RadioTime takes a stream into the buffer and constantly plays it back while downloading it. There's never a stop there like there is with Pandora (when the song switches, it downloads another mp3 and plays it back).

Due to the large number of patches, RadioTime can't support everything and really, it's an issue that hasn't been seen before. Given that there are over 100,000 downloads of RadioTime right now, I'm sure we would have seen this issue a lot if it was a problem with the application itself. But, the streaming implementation is the same on RadioTime as it is with any other audio application. There's really only one way to implement audio in WebOS so the code varies only in terms of developer naming conventions between audio apps.
    Doc

that is the EXACT message I received from RadioTime except for the the explanation of the difference between Pandora and RadioTime. I believe you that it could be a patch, and that is why I posted on here asking that. I find it hard to believe that I have the only Pre that is patched the way I have it... so that is why I am asking.

my patches are listed here:
    3000 Autoreplace words
    4x4 Icons v3
    Add Date - MM/DD
    Battery Icon and Percent
    Brightness in Device menu
    Change Number of Bookmarks on Startpage
    Disable Charging Alert
    enable Add/Delete Page
    Enable LED Notifications
    Hide:

Amazone MP3 app
    Musicplayer app
    Nascar app
    NFL App
    Sprint TV app

Improved filename format (camera)
    Match State to Area Code (phone)
    Reduce Minimum Brightness
    SMS tone per contact
    Sound Toggle (camera)

So, what I am trying to find out is what patch has caused issues with wifi... if it is some app that I have downloaded, that would be extremely unlikely to cause the wifi to cut out causing the RadioTime App to shut down, doncha think?
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Zoso,

I know it's the exact message. I wrote it to you. I also made the RadioTime application.

The fact remains that nobody else has reported there being an issue with Wifi cutting out and I personally use the application around 7 hours straight in any given day on Wifi. There's nothing in the application that tells the system to shut down the wifi connection when streaming or to save battery or anything like that. It uses the same audio implementation that every other streaming audio application uses.

It's often hard to tell what patches do what exactly. Some may affect only a small part of the system, others are broader in their reach. Without a clean install of WebOS, it's basically impossible to diagnose a specific problem, especially one that nobody else seems to be having.

Doc
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Zoso,

I know it's the exact message. I wrote it to you. I also made the RadioTime application.

The fact remains that nobody else has reported there being an issue with Wifi cutting out and I personally use the application around 7 hours straight in any given day on Wifi. There's nothing in the application that tells the system to shut down the wifi connection when streaming or to save battery or anything like that. It uses the same audio implementation that every other streaming audio application uses.

It's often hard to tell what patches do what exactly. Some may affect only a small part of the system, others are broader in their reach. Without a clean install of WebOS, it's basically impossible to diagnose a specific problem, especially one that nobody else seems to be having.

Doc
    Doc, thanks for responding... I understand where you are coming from and if you look at the posts, I don't believe I have been blaming your app at all. I am sorry, but in my opinion, it seems that you think I am. Quite the contrary, I am totally on your side here. As I stated in my reply to you over the weekend, I will be happy to doctor my phone and try once the phone has no patches. I was trying to hold off on doing that since it does take a bit of time to put the phone back to the way I like it. It may be that I can not run your application with the patches that I want to use, which is fine, it doesn't matter much either way as, I still can use Pandora with no issues. My point was that I love your app and wanted to try everything possible on my side before I had to doctor the phone. Thus, that is why I came here since there is a possibility that someone has had this issue and has not reported it to you. Really, no offense intended by this post.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    How much does Pandora buffer versus RadioTime? I have this issue with RadioTime and the Ampache apps when using Wifi and BT, but not EVDO and BT (or at least, not so long as I have a solid connection). Note that Ampachpre will attempt to buffer then entire song, but if it hasn't gotten the whole thing yet it might stop.
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    How much does Pandora buffer versus RadioTime? I have this issue with RadioTime and the Ampache apps when using Wifi and BT, but not EVDO and BT (or at least, not so long as I have a solid connection). Note that Ampachpre will attempt to buffer then entire song, but if it hasn't gotten the whole thing yet it might stop.
    Both Pandora and RadioTime buffer enough to start playback. Developers have no control over how much is buffered. In fact, we have very little control over anything audio related except to tell WebOS, "Hey...play this. If there's a problem, throw up an error message." The difference is in the length of what's actually being played. In Pandora, the maximum buffer size is the length of the mp3 file it downloads. For RadioTime, there is no maximum length seeing as the stream has an infinite length. It'll play until the radio station's streaming server goes down, Sprint ceases to exist, the radio station goes out of business, the internet dies, Yellowstone blows up, an asteroid collides with earth, Armageddon...or you just run out of battery life on the device and can't find your charger.

It's far more likely for a person to have EVDO problems rather than Wifi problems but when Wifi problems come around, there are so many possible things that can go wrong. Beacon intervals, sporadic disconnections, incompatibilities between device and router, routing issues, upstream internet provider problems, etc. Or, you might just have a bum wifi chip in your device which has been known to happen.

Doc
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts

It's far more likely for a person to have EVDO problems rather than Wifi problems but when Wifi problems come around, there are so many possible things that can go wrong. Beacon intervals, sporadic disconnections, incompatibilities between device and router, routing issues, upstream internet provider problems, etc. Or, you might just have a bum wifi chip in your device which has been known to happen.

Doc

Thanks Doc, wouldn't a continuous ping from the pre to the router show those issues? I can also rule out upstream internet provider issues as nothing else on my network has issues (stream radio fine), and there is the simple fact that I am a network engineer in charge of CMTS for Comcast who is also my provider, and I have seen the problem using 2 different CMTS's, and 2 different upstream routers on the comcast network. Routing issues would show up on multiple applications, including traces and pings. In addition, routing issues would typically only show on a single network, where I have had the problem using two ISP's. A "bum" wifi chip would show up on Pandora in addition to your application and, I have had the issue on 3 different popular wifi routers of different manufactures. Beacon intervals would be HIGHLY unusual if you are using a common wifi router, and in my case, where the issue is showing up on 3 different routers, we can sorta say that is not the issue. I will doctor the device tonight and report on my findings as I think the issue will be indeed a patch issue.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I have this exact same problem, only my issue is on EVDO instead of Wifi. I have full-strength signal, so that can't be it. I tried turning on and off Airplane Mode, but the same thing still happens. So I tried an mp3 stream directly from one of the radio stations available on RadioTime, and the same thing happens. Any ideas on what the issue might be?
    Slacker has the same issue. It cuts out when I use it over wifi. Works great in my car over EVDO.

Really annoying when I wanna listen around the house though....