1.    #1  
    Since the Pre backs up everything in to the cloud, if I activate my new Verizon Pre with the same user name, will it them restore all my information on the new Verizon Pre?

Thanks.
    Yes. Mostly.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Thats the beauty of the palm profile, only it doesn't always work. Best to back up to google first.
    Sanyo basic Flip phone- Moto Krazer- Moto Razer2- Palm Pre
    I'd love to hear from someone that this actually works (like it's supposed to).:thumpsup:
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    I doubt it. Perhaps Palm can convert the data on the server to reflect the new carrier and phone. That's the only way I see that happening. Reason is because there is more info in the cloud than just your contacts and etc.. stored under your profile. Some of the data is carrier specific, from what I've seen. I'm not saying it isn't possible. I'm just saying it probably won't be as easy as just signing in. Palm might have to script something up for the customers that wish to do this x-over.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiLlY View Post
    I doubt it. Perhaps Palm can convert the data on the server to reflect the new carrier and phone. That's the only way I see that happening. Reason is because there is more info in the cloud than just your contacts and etc.. stored under your profile. Some of the data is carrier specific, from what I've seen. I'm not saying it isn't possible. I'm just saying it probably won't be as easy as just signing in. Palm might have to script something up for the customers that wish to do this x-over.
    This would really be "short-sighted" of Palm if what you say is true. There server likely keeps the carrier-specific data separately forom the "transferrable" profile information. If not in a database, the data at lest should be marked up in XML so the server can query and fix it on the fly.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Your profile is your profile, and a Pre is a Pre. There is no contact data that is carrier specific. Just back up your contacts, and all will be fine regardless.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Lot's of guess and "certainty" here, but it doesn't appear anyone, even those who profess absolute knowledge, have tried it or even know someone who's tried it. That's the internet for you: a lack of knowledge never stopped anyone from answering a question.

To be safe, I'd make sure you have that data backed up somewhere else. Report back on what happens, please.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    This would really be "short-sighted" of Palm if what you say is true. There server likely keeps the carrier-specific data separately forom the "transferrable" profile information. If not in a database, the data at lest should be marked up in XML so the server can query and fix it on the fly.
    With the new Pre Plus and it's different carrier.. I'm sure.. or at least, I would hope these scenarios are being anticipated. I would love to be optimistic but.. I lost all my contacts on one of these upgrades due to an error on their part. They did fix the issue but I was without my data for a good week. Being realistic.. I understand sh!t happens. At least we do know if anything is wrong.. they will work to remedy situations. Kudos to Palm!
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Lot's of guess and "certainty" here, but it doesn't appear anyone, even those who profess absolute knowledge, have tried it or even know someone who's tried it. That's the internet for you: a lack of knowledge never stopped anyone from answering a question.

To be safe, I'd make sure you have that data backed up somewhere else. Report back on what happens, please.
    Beautiful, aint it?

This is a discussion board though, right?

+1 on the back up!!! I learned that the hard way, more than once!
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Your profile is your profile, and a Pre is a Pre. There is no contact data that is carrier specific. Just back up your contacts, and all will be fine regardless.
    Don't get me wrong. I'm no pro by any means. But I think you misread my post. In the database that is your "profile".. There is more info than just your contacts. For example.. phone settings, email account and passwords, text/sms messages (the body content), and etc.. Carrier info (for the phone) is also stored in your profile.

I'm hoping you misunderstood me and if not.. download the db3 file off of your phone and have a look at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiLlY View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I'm no pro by any means. But I think you misread my post. In the database that is your "profile".. There is more info than just your contacts. For example.. phone settings, email account and passwords, text/sms messages, and etc.. Carrier info (for the phone) is also stored in your profile.

I'm hoping you misunderstood me and if not.. download the db3 file off of your phone and have a look at it.
    A co-worker of mine switched from a Verizon Treo and used his same profile on his Sprint Pre. All contacts moved over without issue. That's my point. Yes, I know that you do have carrier specified info that is also backed up by Palm, but your contacts are not one of those that are carrier specific.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    A co-worker of mine switched from a Verizon Treo and used his same profile on his Sprint Pre. All contacts moved over without issue. That's my point. Yes, I know that you do have carrier specified info that is also backed up by Palm, but your contacts are not one of those that are carrier specific.
    Ahh.. gotcha! Yeah.. I'm sure the same will be possible for these xfers. Pretty much what me and sudoer where discussing - I'm sure there is.. or will be a process to extract the specific data (contacts and etc..) from one db to another, for carrier/phone xfers. I guess what I might have failed to express is that I was speaking mostly about the backend (behind the scene) process. As an end user.. I'm sure it will be painless and effortless.

I guess some times I can look into things a little too deep.
    This gentleman here states that he switched from his Sprint Pre to the Pre Plus review unit and everything worked out well in terms of the Palm profile.

He gives it a lot of praise and prefers WebOS to Android and the iPhone OS. Pretty cool.

Starts around the 5:35 marker: