Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uriel1971 View Post
    Picked mine up Monday night and so far loving it, been waiting for the Pre to get to Verizon since early November, lol. Then Verizon went and changed their plan structure and I had decided to just go to Sprint for plan price alone, but Big Red did the unthinkable and "grandfathered" my account AND gave me $120 off phone (plus $100 mail in rebate) so it was a no brainer for ME.

Couple little things I don't like so far but not sure if it is an actual limitation of the WebOS or just I haven't learned how to do them yet.

1. I have thousands of pics that I imported over from my BB and over half of them are upside down on the Pre and I can't find a way to turn them. I won't rule out that I am slow, but I have been searching for a solution since Monday night and haven't found it. Not a deal breaker by any means, can always use a pc, just something took for geanted in BB.

2. I can't seem to share files with other users over Bluetooth. Only tried once so far but it was just a feature I took for granted using BB.

3. Can't send or receive mp3 over MMS ? Again, not a big issue just something always took for granted on old phone.

4. Touchstone I bought Monday didn't work, VZW exchanged it today so fingers crossed. Good news is my phone worked on the touchstone at the VZW store so hoping this was just a fluke. It would just constantly chime "battery charging" and not charge.

Now before someone takes this the wrong way and says I should have stayed with BB then, let me just say I am really LOVING the WebOS and so is everyone I have showed it to (converted one android user already), these are just simple little features I took for granted that I miss in first couple days but none of them are deal breakers. The rest of the OS just so blows away the BB. And like I mentioned, some could just be learning curve issues for me that I deserve to laughed at over.

P.S. - great forum !
    Quick note on our touchstone problems. Are you using the micro usb that palm provided or your old bb charger? Reason i'm asking is that the fitting of the cable to the touchstone is specific. But the funny thing is if you put another type of micro usb charger in it , the connection is held part of the time. So try and use the charger and cable from palm and I bet this will work. It happened to me
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    im confused. everybody think Pre has best notification system, what do you mean by "lacking of a good ....."?

Pre has almost 40 buttons, what do you mean you need more buttons?

your might want to elaborate your concerns in detail. and how long have you had the phone? 2 days?
    Maybe he meant a sound profile system. You know like certain tones for certain emails/contacts or even situations People like you who are early adopters deserve a lot of credit. Me I left the pre 2 months after I got it more for sprint than the pre. I've always known the potential. Now on verizon, I couldn't ask for anything more.

so here is my mini review.

compared to my Sprint Pre, better build quality.

I never liked the button. Asthetically much nicer

otherwise no changes

I was on firmware 1.2.1. Man this is sooo much faster and more reliable. Everything to me runs quicker. Maybe it's the ram maybe the firmware. Don't care it's very nice.

calendar is faster

making phone calls also faster. I love the speed dial thing. Very cool to snap it open and hold a letter and immediately be on a call.

web is outstanding but everyone knew that

multi tasking is so awesome. Especially when you're coming from an iPhone. Writing an email, with the ability to reference things like url's, addresses, phone numbers, documents is just outstanding.

and the app catalogue has grown a lot. More than I would have expected. It also has a great community. Palm people I noticed for the most part are pretty level headed about things. There aren't as manyy rabid ******* like you see in the apple and bb crowd,

Even though I dumped my pre, I still followed this site as I've always had a soft spot for palm. So one more go for me. Gonna work out this time.
    Last edited by mullrat; 01/27/2010 at 09:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    the Pre has the same type of proximity sensor to turn off the screen and one can also answer the phone by opening the slider.

Have you actually used a Pre for any length of time or are you just recycling complaints from 6 months ago?
    I am reiterating my point that Palm has no excuse for these design defects that were never a part of any Treo. Apple has an excuse. Steve Jobs will sacrifice usability so long as it makes the thing look better.

(a) Why in the world would I want to answer the phone by opening the slider?

(b) The proximity censor still doesn't help us in the cold weather or if the screen fails to respond or if the software has a glitch and I just want a button to answer the call.

The people at Palm who still suffer from iPhone envy should be terminated. Immediately. And be forced to use iTunes.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Mine is now completely inoperable

I would post a link to the discussion I just created, but since I have less than 10 posts, I am forbidden.
    Quote Originally Posted by inittowinit View Post
    I really love the webOS experience though. Does the initial fun factor wear off and do the little bugs turn into too much after a month or so????
    I've had mine for about 5 months now and I'm still loving it. There seems to be a new patch out everyday that makes my phone better. I think the bugs on the Pre are much more tolerable than any other mobile platform with the exception of the Iphone's.
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    I am reiterating my point that Palm has no excuse for these design defects that were never a part of any Treo. Apple has an excuse. Steve Jobs will sacrifice usability so long as it makes the thing look better.

(a) Why in the world would I want to answer the phone by opening the slider?

(b) The proximity censor still doesn't help us in the cold weather or if the screen fails to respond or if the software has a glitch and I just want a button to answer the call.

The people at Palm who still suffer from iPhone envy should be terminated. Immediately. And be forced to use iTunes.
    You asked how to answer the phone w/o using the screen. Opening the slider or using the button on the headphones is how it is done. The proximity sensor shuts of the screen so putting it up to your face isn't supposed to trigger a screen tap on the phone app.

Many of the people at Palm are ex-Apple executives or engineers. For all we know, anyone that had anything to do with the Treo is gone. The Pre and Pixi are not evolutions of the Treo. They are totally new devices with a brand new operating system. If you don't like that, you'd be better off sticking with your Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    You asked how to answer the phone w/o using the screen. Opening the slider or using the button on the headphones is how it is done. The proximity sensor shuts of the screen so putting it up to your face isn't supposed to trigger a screen tap on the phone app.
    Thanks. Considering that there is absolutely no purpose in opening the slider except to make holding the phone more uncomfortable, it boggles the mind that nobody at Palm considered this. Wait... you have provided me with an answer.

Many of the people at Palm are ex-Apple executives or engineers. For all we know, anyone that had anything to do with the Treo is gone. The Pre and Pixi are not evolutions of the Treo. They are totally new devices with a brand new operating system. If you don't like that, you'd be better off sticking with your Treo.
    This explains the stupidity that exists at Palm. The Pre and Pixi represent a major step back from the Treo hardware and are simply iterations of improved software running on inferior hardware. I'd be willing to be there are numerous former Treo owners who would tend to agree with me. My first impression of the Pre on Sprint (no offense) was "what is this flimsy, awkward piece of junk coming out of a Palm factory?"

The Treo was like the Blackberry Curve. The evolution of awesome hardware that only needed improvements under the hood and small refinements in the hardware to meet the times. That meant (a) a tad smaller and sleeker, (b) higher resolution screen and processor to meet the times, and (c) WiFi and Bluetooth, and finally (d) not a whole heck of a lot else. The Treo felt rock solid in your hand, perhaps a tad heavy but a solid, well manufactured quality phone.

So now Palm made the Pixi, suitable only for the "chic women" who think they are cute. But the Blackberry Curve/Bold killer WebOS in a Treo was just far too much for the idiots who moved from Apple to Palm could conceive. No, they redesigned everything to be a poor imitation of the iPhone. So, so, so stupid.
    I left my Droid for the Pre Plus. I got it Monday. I like it so far, battery sucks. Would LOVE to figure out how to have the weather show on the cal though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jay2112 View Post
    I left my Droid for the Pre Plus. I got it Monday. I like it so far, battery sucks. Would LOVE to figure out how to have the weather show on the cal though.
    If you have a gmail account, go to your gmail calendar and add a weather calendar (you'll have to follow the instructions there, I did it so long ago I don't really remember the steps). Then sync your gmail calendar from your phone.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Thanks. Considering that there is absolutely no purpose in opening the slider except to make holding the phone more uncomfortable.
    you must be a little guy or something. Im a big dude and the phone is MUCH more comfortable in hand with the slider open, otherwise i can hold it in a fist its so small, i rarely use it without the slider open
    Thanks. Considering that there is absolutely no purpose in opening the slider except to make holding the phone more uncomfortable, it boggles the mind that nobody at Palm considered this. Wait... you have provided me with an answer.
    It actually makes it more comfortable for me. My Pre is open more than closed. Different strokes for different folks.

This explains the stupidity that exists at Palm. The Pre and Pixi represent a major step back from the Treo hardware and are simply iterations of improved software running on inferior hardware. I'd be willing to be there are numerous former Treo owners who would tend to agree with me. My first impression of the Pre on Sprint (no offense) was "what is this flimsy, awkward piece of junk coming out of a Palm factory?"
    Sigh.... don't we all long for the good 'ol days, when bugs remained in the ROM for months before they were addressed, and we were all tied to phones that were dragging a company into obvilvion.

Yes indeed, what was Palm thinking when they changed course...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    It actually makes it more comfortable for me. My Pre is open more than closed. Different strokes for different folks.
    I don't know about you but I just don't have the extra room you have to keep the phone open in my pants pocket. Let's not get silly. Most of the time the phone is in closed position because it is. Assuming you have a life and do something else besides type on the phone, even the battery life won't last for that usage. Phone rings and 99% of people will click the "answer call" button, wherever that may be. Easiest is clicking that hardware button that is on most phones... and it's reliable.

Sigh.... don't we all long for the good 'ol days, when bugs remained in the ROM for months before they were addressed, and we were all tied to phones that were dragging a company into obvilvion. Yes indeed, what was Palm thinking when they changed course...
    I think you're failing in the reading comprehension portion.

(1) We were talking about the hardware, not software. Everything was right with the hardware. Nobody ever complained about the hardware, with the exception of Palm waiting forever to include contemporary numbers. That hasn't changed. 8GB Palm Pre released near the 32 GB iPhone?

(2) Most people had Treo problems because they installed many apps that patched the OS. If you knew what was quality you'd have few crashes. I certainly didn't have many problems at all, rarely in fact, but acknowledged others did.

(3) Nothing has changed with regard to Palm's failure to address software issues. Look at the WebOS. Years later and its still half finished. The developer API is out so late that there is a pittance of available apps. Long time Palm developers are standing on the sideline NOT developing for the WebOS and waiting to see if it will sell in big numbers on Verizon or it will fizzle out before the Palm Pre Plus Plus is released.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Ive had mine for 2 days now, and Im very happy with it. Ive had no battery issues at all - Im in places where I can keep it plugged in if necessary. [Though I havent tried Mobile Hotspot yet].

I'd like to see all the same tweaks most people have talked about...more flexibility in some of the apps (the camera/pictures options are particularly limited). But I assume more functionality will come with (1) more webOS updates, and (2) more apps.

I havent tried any homebrewing or patches or whatever. I want to get used to working with the phone, so I can see exactly what type of improvements Id really want to make.
    Got mine first thing on Monday, absolutely loving it thus far...EXCEPT the battery life. Quite frankly it sucks. I had to buy a car charger as I spend much time driving around. Regardless of that I hear it gets better after a week of use and it's a small price to pay for multi-tasking. Went back to use my ipod touch for comparison and it felt like a piece of ancient history.
    Got my Pre Plus on Tuesday. LOVE IT! I came from a hacked windows mobile phone that ran android 1.6. WebOS definitely is way better than both. It looks great and even all of my friends are amazed by it. They have never even heard of it, but now they want one lol.

Palm your doing good. Cant wait for WebOS 1.4!!!!
    Got my Pre Plus on Tuesday. LOVE IT! I came from a hacked windows mobile phone that ran android 1.6. WebOS definitely is way better than both. It looks great and even all of my friends are amazed by it. They have never even heard of it, but now they want one lol.

Palm your doing good. Cant wait for WebOS 1.4!!!!
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts

The Treo was like the Blackberry Curve. The evolution of awesome hardware that only needed improvements under the hood and small refinements in the hardware to meet the times. That meant (a) a tad smaller and sleeker, (b) higher resolution screen and processor to meet the times, and (c) WiFi and Bluetooth, and finally (d) not a whole heck of a lot else. The Treo felt rock solid in your hand, perhaps a tad heavy but a solid, well manufactured quality phone.

So now Palm made the Pixi, suitable only for the "chic women" who think they are cute. But the Blackberry Curve/Bold killer WebOS in a Treo was just far too much for the idiots who moved from Apple to Palm could conceive. No, they redesigned everything to be a poor imitation of the iPhone. So, so, so stupid.
    I couldn't agree more. I've had the Pre for 6 months. The slider and unusable keyboard are driving me crazy. Fortunately, I can get out of my Sprint contract without paying the ETA and I'm looking at the Pixi Plus on Verizon. If I want to stick with WebOS I have to get a tiny little Pixi with an even smaller screen, less memory than the Pre Plus and not enough battery. I'm just glad I'm not stuck on Sprint where my only choice for a non-slider would be the Pixi with no WIFI. Give me a break. I've been seriously considering switching to a Blackberry and waiting for the hardware folks at Palm to get recycled. I love WebOS, but the hardware misses the mark big time.

What I would do to get something like the Blackberry Bold 9700 with WebOS. Just replace the button area with the WebOS gesture area and it is done. How hard can that be? I thought for sure that Palm would announce just such a device for Verizon. I was very disappointed to find that the Pixi Plus is not more than a Pixi with WIFI.
    I don't know about you but I just don't have the extra room you have to keep the phone open in my pants pocket. Let's not get silly. Most of the time the phone is in closed position because it is. Assuming you have a life and do something else besides type on the phone, even the battery life won't last for that usage. Phone rings and 99% of people will click the "answer call" button, wherever that may be. Easiest is clicking that hardware button that is on most phones... and it's reliable.
    Not being silly. For my use (which was all I said), it sits on my desk open, most of the day. Fair enough it sits closed on the charger all night, but I was really talking about "use". I don't carry it in my pants pocket much during the day.

I suspect your 99% number is off. I find it much easier to slide the top up with my thumb to answer the phone than look around for the soft button. The Pre isn't "most phones", it's the Pre. I really do believe "easiest" on it is just what I described. Phone rings, slide open. Talk. I even do that when I get ready to call (when it's not open). Typically, in the car, I drop it in the cup holder open.

I think you're failing in the reading comprehension portion.

(1) We were talking about the hardware, not software. Everything was right with the hardware. Nobody ever complained about the hardware, with the exception of Palm waiting forever to include contemporary numbers. That hasn't changed. 8GB Palm Pre released near the 32 GB iPhone?

(2) Most people had Treo problems because they installed many apps that patched the OS. If you knew what was quality you'd have few crashes. I certainly didn't have many problems at all, rarely in fact, but acknowledged others did.
    Nope, I understood completely, but you can't seperate one from the other. It's all business, and everything involved costs money. I strongly suspect that much of Palm's $$$ on the Treo line went into quality hardware, and you can bet that money came at a cost to profits and R&D.

I disagree completely about the patch issue, and the hardware issues (was it the 600, or 650 that was such a dog, they're beginning to blend together these days). I patched the heck out of my Treo, even burned custom ROMs, and I had less problems than my wife did with her Centro, which crashed daily. She had nothing on it that was any sort of Patch. bascially talked on the phone, did email and calendar.

She told me earlier this week that in a month, she's doing more with her Pixi than she did owning a Centro for over 2 years.

(3) Nothing has changed with regard to Palm's failure to address software issues. Look at the WebOS. Years later and its still half finished. The developer API is out so late that there is a pittance of available apps. Long time Palm developers are standing on the sideline NOT developing for the WebOS and waiting to see if it will sell in big numbers on Verizon or it will fizzle out before the Palm Pre Plus Plus is released.
    Years???? Are you serious?
    I don't think you have a clue. Even if you meant "months", I still don't think you have a clue. There have been more updates for Palm in 6 months than in any comparable time on any device they've made.

You pretty much lost any credibility in this discussion with that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I suspect your 99% number is off. I find it much easier to slide the top up with my thumb to answer the phone than look around for the soft button. The Pre isn't "most phones", it's the Pre. I really do believe "easiest" on it is just what I described.
    I do agree that it is the easiest to slide open if you want to answer it. I disagree that the act of simply pressing a button is not the easiest and quickest way to connect the dots here. It's hard to imagine that fidgeting with a slide and also having the phone not being a nice, balanced, solid instrument in your hand (which it isn't with the keyboard open) isn't easier than just pressing the button on the front.

Nope, I understood completely, but you can't seperate one from the other. It's all business, and everything involved costs money. I strongly suspect that much of Palm's $$$ on the Treo line went into quality hardware, and you can bet that money came at a cost to profits and R&D.
    I agree with you here. But at some point you have to ask what the return on investment is for skimping in bad places and what consumers buying the phone would be willing to pay for the price of real inconvenience or feelings of the phone being underpowered. The really cheap USB wasn't totally offputting although it was, to me, a thought of what was to come. I hated Seidio's blackberry docks... and terrible to use with a real case. 8GB of storage with no microSD made the decision virtually done. The somewhat cheaper, marginal design on the keyboard was another strike. At some point Palm is going to have to accept that they will sell far more units at a slightly lower margin (possibly, I'd be willing to pay a little) than far fewer units at a slightly higher margin. And right now they are teetering close to the edge because their iPhone killers aren't selling like the iPhone.

I disagree completely about the patch issue, and the hardware issues (was it the 600, or 650 that was such a dog, they're beginning to blend together these days). I patched the heck out of my Treo, even burned custom ROMs, and I had less problems than my wife did with her Centro, which crashed daily. She had nothing on it that was any sort of Patch. bascially talked on the phone, did email and calendar. She told me earlier this week that in a month, she's doing more with her Pixi than she did owning a Centro for over 2 years.
    If her Centro crashed daily, she should have exchanged it like numerous others did, potentially have a hardware defect. Getting a phone without a hardware defect would make someone more productive. I never had a Centro, others have and they loved it, and it is not a Treo. The 600 was so many years ago and there were several evolutions since then - and the 600s problem was being underpowered, not that the hardware wasn't beautiful and a pleasure to hold and use. The 650, 700/700p and the latest which were really nicely made hardware and the software quick and efficient. Solid, really easy to type (Blackberry replacement worthy) - what happened to that? Trying to type email on buttons that are so small is unnecessary and completely counterproductive.

Years???? Are you serious?
    I don't think you have a clue. Even if you meant "months", I still don't think you have a clue. There have been more updates for Palm in 6 months than in any comparable time on any device they've made.
    You pretty much lost any credibility in this discussion with that one.
    Actually, you're the one that lost credibility and, perhaps, doesn't seem to read very much. Palm has been working on WebOS for at least 2 years that I'm aware (you can look it up) and it's the reason why Palm hasn't introduced anything to excite the masses in YEARS. It's been all about waiting until the killer OS is released... and FINALLY it arrived, half done, and without an ability to create applications.

With regard to the updates, you still don't have a landscape keyboard stock, do you? So what you're telling me is that you have a (still slow, I tried it) late beta / release candidate version of very early WebOS software that you're having fun testing... almost 8 months later. I know all about the iPhone, it's first release, no copy and paste, etc. But it's now 2010. And Palm focused much of its efforts on making it compatible with iTunes. Why? Because that gimmick would absolutely convince people not to buy an iPhone?

Please... Palm should have released the Pre with 16GB RAM standard if it didn't have an SD card. It should have concentrated on making the OS quick, responsive, finished the important things like a reasonably good spell checker and a landscape keyboard, for heaven's sake. No, Palm hasn't learned a thing. Ed C. still thinks the market is waiting for him and they can sell incremental versions of the product that lag months behind everyone else. When the Treo was out, it was the only phone like it with great form factor, beautiful screen, super easy to type and receive email. Like the graph shows, they went from a significant 30%+ market share to what... under 3%?
    I do agree that it is the easiest to slide open if you want to answer it. I disagree that the act of simply pressing a button is not the easiest and quickest way to connect the dots here. It's hard to imagine that fidgeting with a slide and also having the phone not being a nice, balanced, solid instrument in your hand (which it isn't with the keyboard open) isn't easier than just pressing the button on the front.

I agree with you here. But at some point you have to ask what the return on investment is for skimping in bad places and what consumers buying the phone would be willing to pay for the price of real inconvenience or feelings of the phone being underpowered. The really cheap USB wasn't totally offputting although it was, to me, a thought of what was to come. I hated Seidio's blackberry docks... and terrible to use with a real case. 8GB of storage with no microSD made the decision virtually done. The somewhat cheaper, marginal design on the keyboard was another strike. At some point Palm is going to have to accept that they will sell far more units at a slightly lower margin (possibly, I'd be willing to pay a little) than far fewer units at a slightly higher margin. And right now they are teetering close to the edge because their iPhone killers aren't selling like the iPhone.

If her Centro crashed daily, she should have exchanged it like numerous others did, potentially have a hardware defect. Getting a phone without a hardware defect would make someone more productive. I never had a Centro, others have and they loved it, and it is not a Treo. The 600 was so many years ago and there were several evolutions since then - and the 600s problem was being underpowered, not that the hardware wasn't beautiful and a pleasure to hold and use. The 650, 700/700p and the latest which were really nicely made hardware and the software quick and efficient. Solid, really easy to type (Blackberry replacement worthy) - what happened to that? Trying to type email on buttons that are so small is unnecessary and completely counterproductive.

Actually, you're the one that lost credibility and, perhaps, doesn't seem to read very much. Palm has been working on WebOS for at least 2 years that I'm aware (you can look it up) and it's the reason why Palm hasn't introduced anything to excite the masses in YEARS. It's been all about waiting until the killer OS is released... and FINALLY it arrived, half done, and without an ability to create applications.

With regard to the updates, you still don't have a landscape keyboard stock, do you? So what you're telling me is that you have a (still slow, I tried it) late beta / release candidate version of very early WebOS software that you're having fun testing... almost 8 months later. I know all about the iPhone, it's first release, no copy and paste, etc. But it's now 2010. And Palm focused much of its efforts on making it compatible with iTunes. Why? Because that gimmick would absolutely convince people not to buy an iPhone?

Please... Palm should have released the Pre with 16GB RAM standard if it didn't have an SD card. It should have concentrated on making the OS quick, responsive, finished the important things like a reasonably good spell checker and a landscape keyboard, for heaven's sake. No, Palm hasn't learned a thing. Ed C. still thinks the market is waiting for him and they can sell incremental versions of the product that lag months behind everyone else. When the Treo was out, it was the only phone like it with great form factor, beautiful screen, super easy to type and receive email. Like the graph shows, they went from a significant 30%+ market share to what... under 3%?
    OMG people, don't you have anything better to do? If you don't like the Pre then get rid of it. If you think you can make it better then go work for Palm and do something about it. Otherwise, stop cluttering up the board with all this 'opinionated' chatter. Wow, gives me a headache!
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast