Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I do not own a Pre Plus, however I do own a Droid Eris that I just bought 1 week ago. Today I was at my local Verizon store to check out the Pre, needless to say this time next week I will no longer own a Droid Eris, I will own a Palm Pre.

I immediately fell in love with the Pre, I love the whole card system it uses for its apps, its a friggin slick phone feels really polished, whereas my Eris feel buggy as hell. I don't mind payin more money for the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    1) The crud on the bottom issue didn't stop Apple, did it? Additionally, many cases feature a flap that covers the bottom. My iphone case has one.
    Just reporting what others have said. I would have preferred a connection on the bottom of the device for power/usb/audio in/out too. I don't know what Palm was thinking when that feature was left out, but I still like the device w/o it.

2) The Touchstone is an absurd attempt at coolness over real functionality. I've got to spend $70 for something resembling a dock that makes it simple to dock, charge and mount the phone as a hard drive?
    I disagree. The Touchstone is very useful and once you get used to it, you'll end up buying another one for the office. The Verizon customers are lucky in that the TS back is included. Also, spending $70 for a TS kit is stupid when it is available for much less from web retailers.

The cases are all mediocre. The phone is hard to case with the slider and many of them make the phone incompatible with the Touchstone. Hence the additional need to have just kept a wired connection, dock/charge the phone and mount it easily. This used to be one of the best features the Treo had and awesome docks that also played music through via the Treo.
    The Sprint case and the Seido Innocase are the only ones that I know of that allow TS charging. The tabs on the Innocase can have problems though.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    I purchased a Pre-plus last night from my VZW store. I'm thoroughly impressed with the WebOS. However, I started having reset issues this morning when opening and closing the slider. I took it back and have a new Pre-plus. This one feels much more solid when it slide into place. Hopefully the first one was just a fluke.
    Are you sure you are not touching the on off button when you close it, I found at first when I would close the slider, I was also touching the on off button. Just a thought.
    waaaa :-(!!! Gameloft give me nova ! Luvn the 34 games ;-) now where was I ??.. Oh yeah .. Waaaaa nova!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by inittowinit View Post
    My impressions: I love the fit/feel of the phone and the OS/UI. The pre plus rocks! It's not laggy at all. Sure it takes a second to open an app but nothing that is annoying. Cards are amazing. Truly a great idea. It was a joy to actually get my hands on a pre after following for so long.
    I'm not sure how long you have been following the Pre on our forum here, but I like the way you are taking time to evaluate various phones in the store. I went from PalmOS Treo's to the Pre on the first day the Pre was available. The WebOS experience itself has gotten a lot better and most of the serious usability problems went away with WebOS 1.3.5. The OS and the hardware still have a lot more "headroom" beyond what they do now, and I expect WebOS to continue to get better. What I really like about WebOS compared with PalmOS is that the "cloud centric" approach makes it easier to manage the information that you use in your life. I use Google Calendar and see things on my phone now, and gone are the days of accidentally getting duplicate entries in my contacts database. From a hackability standpoint, WebOS is truly amazing. Instead of being at the mercy of a PalmOS update that would never really happen, people tweak the OS (through patches to source code) right on the phone without having to wait for Palm. Palm has also been improving and optimizing the OS at a feverish pace. The OS and it's potential are what attracted me to the Pre and I haven't been sorry so far.

On the negative side I felt like the screen was a little small. I have a palm centro now but use an Ipod Touch for surfing/email/apps stuff. It may just seem small because I came from the touch. I'm really putting a lot of weight on the web surfing experience and I'm not sure if I'll be satisfied? What do the Sprint user think of the web surfing/ readability of the web pages on the Pre? Also the GPS did not work on the phone at all. I disable wifi. Made sure the location services were on. Enable wifi.. Had a great 3 g signal. I'm just worried that there seems to be a lot of bugs with the WebOS platform for some reason! I know this is still generation 1 phone but what is the deal?
    So I have until Feb 19th to make a decision. Hopefully by then the Nexus One will be out and I'll have more options.
    I'd like a slightly bigger screen but it's plenty big for everything except a 80x24 terminal screen. The "pocketabilty" of the Pre is really amazing. The screen is much more resistant to cracking than the iphone/itouch but susceptible to scratching. I've never protected mine and I often accidentally put keys in the same pocket, etc. It stands up pretty well to daily abuse.

The hardware buttons (power, and volume up/down) on the original Pre seem a lot weaker than I'd like them to be. I'm not sure whether they changed these at all in the Pre Plus, but I suspect they haven't. These can be rejuvinated by reseating the little rubber thing in the switch or slipping a sliver op plastic or tape inside the switch between the rubber and the outside part. The Sprint store fixed my power button for me this way. My volume buttons currently need a hard press in order to work, so I'll probably go back and see if a repair tech can rejuvenate these for me. This is after about 7 months of using the phone daily.

If you decide to go with the Pre, learn how to spot possible defects so that when you buy the phone, you get one without some manufacturing defects. Palm's manufacturing process still seems to allow defects to continue through production and be found at the end (at least in my opinion). By the time you are ready to buy, we'll have a better idea of initial quality for the Pre Plus. If you start with a good phone, you will be happy.

I really love the webOS experience though. Does the initial fun factor wear off and do the little bugs turn into too much after a month or so????
    I consider smartphones to be utility devices that are necessary in my life. Compared with PalmOS, the WebOS on the Pre has been substantially less hassle. Since the device is very web centric and my email (gmail in my case) lives elsewhere. Usability issues aren't the annoyance that they were on PalmOS. Also device management issues (such as managing free space) are a lot less than with PalmOS. Initially WebOS had taken some shortcuts here in order to get to market faster, but recent WebOS updates have fixed those issues well enough that they are no longer problems for me.

I like the way you are analyzing how various next phones will work for you. Consider how you will actually use your next device and keep asking us questions. Hopefully this will help you to zero in on a device that is good for you.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Just activated my Pre+. Everything is working brilliantly. The WebOS is gorgeous and very intuitive. The only gripe I have so far is that when I have the device open/slider open, the top part creaks when I press the upper-right side of the screen. Very annoying, but if this is common, so be it.
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    I've had mine for 3 days now and I'm really enjoying it. The interface is great! The only issue that I have with it is battery performance. I just got the Touchstone too and that makes the Pre Plus so much better. The ability to just pop it on the Touchstone to charge is great. I put it on my dashboard on the way home from VZW and it never moved! It's got a good tacky base.
    activated my plus last night when I got home... I'm in love with this phone. It's amazing, the keyboard is great, build quality is awsome, plenty of apps downloaded about a dozen. I have an itouch and can type much faster on the plus already. The only thing i've found that could be better so far is that email do not rotate to landscape. Plenty to learn and enjoying it very much +1 for the pre plus.
    anyone else having problems getting the gps to give an accurate fix?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Picked mine up Monday night and so far loving it, been waiting for the Pre to get to Verizon since early November, lol. Then Verizon went and changed their plan structure and I had decided to just go to Sprint for plan price alone, but Big Red did the unthinkable and "grandfathered" my account AND gave me $120 off phone (plus $100 mail in rebate) so it was a no brainer for ME.

Couple little things I don't like so far but not sure if it is an actual limitation of the WebOS or just I haven't learned how to do them yet.

1. I have thousands of pics that I imported over from my BB and over half of them are upside down on the Pre and I can't find a way to turn them. I won't rule out that I am slow, but I have been searching for a solution since Monday night and haven't found it. Not a deal breaker by any means, can always use a pc, just something took for geanted in BB.

2. I can't seem to share files with other users over Bluetooth. Only tried once so far but it was just a feature I took for granted using BB.

3. Can't send or receive mp3 over MMS ? Again, not a big issue just something always took for granted on old phone.

4. Touchstone I bought Monday didn't work, VZW exchanged it today so fingers crossed. Good news is my phone worked on the touchstone at the VZW store so hoping this was just a fluke. It would just constantly chime "battery charging" and not charge.

Now before someone takes this the wrong way and says I should have stayed with BB then, let me just say I am really LOVING the WebOS and so is everyone I have showed it to (converted one android user already), these are just simple little features I took for granted that I miss in first couple days but none of them are deal breakers. The rest of the OS just so blows away the BB. And like I mentioned, some could just be learning curve issues for me that I deserve to laughed at over.

P.S. - great forum !
    * I tested the sprint pre back in June so I was already familiar with the device.
    * My last phone was the droid. my company said the droid isnt secure enough to connect to their email servers
    * My comments are on out of the box functionality. I know there may be fixes to some of my issues.

+ Synergy is nice. In like 20min I sync contacts from google, yahoo, and facebook and linked duplicate accounts. It's easily my favorite feature on the phone
    + I like that u can just start typing to do web searches, contact lookups, etc.
    + the browser is as good as the iphone, i think. flash support will make it better
    + the keyboard does feel better than the sprint pre
    + I wish every phone had a silent switch!!!

- Pre Plus app launching and annoyingly slow.
    - Out of the box, yahoo email delivery is sporadic at best
    - I really dont understand why this phone cant have buttons on the front. The back gesture is less accurate and requires more effort to back out a couple screens.
    - Lack of out of the box notification light is indefensible.
    - Notifications in general sucks. Maybe blackberry has a patent on good notification set up?
    - NO VOICE DIALING?!?!?!? WHAT THE HECK MAN!!?!??!?
    I'm going to check on app launching tomorrow but there is no excuse whatsoever for app launching to be so deadly slow. Does this change if you're running in the background? I'd probably only use 6-7 apps MAX simultaneously which is probably like 12 with the OS, e.g. email, web, contacts, phone, todo/organizer.

The lack of a good notification system is scary. What are the alternatives? The iPhone is terrible in this regard but at least it does pop up to the screen and stay there (at least with my jailbroken version.)

No buttons... even the iPhone has a button and I find it VERY useful when I need to make sure something is pressed and activates what I need, e.g. answering a call.
    The lack of a good notification system is scary. What are the alternatives? The iPhone is terrible in this regard but at least it does pop up to the screen and stay there (at least with my jailbroken version.)

No buttons... even the iPhone has a button and I find it VERY useful when I need to make sure something is pressed and activates what I need, e.g. answering a call.
    im confused. everybody think Pre has best notification system, what do you mean by "lacking of a good ....."?

Pre has almost 40 buttons, what do you mean you need more buttons?

your might want to elaborate your concerns in detail. and how long have you had the phone? 2 days?
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    im confused. everybody think Pre has best notification system, what do you mean by "lacking of a good ....."?

Pre has almost 40 buttons, what do you mean you need more buttons?

your might want to elaborate your concerns in detail. and how long have you had the phone? 2 days?
    If you've used a Blackberry and many well designed phones (and the old Treos), they had a blinking diode light which would inform you if you had any messages. Even if your ringer was off during a meeting, forgot to turn on later, you would never miss a message. No light? Ridiculous and serious step back... bad Palm, bad!!!!

Regarding buttons, I could care less what I have to slide out (mega pain.) If I just want to answer a call I want to click a hardware button ON the phone, not screw around with it until I can get it to answer somehow. And if the display isn't working well or it's cold weather, you sure as heck want that hardware button.
    If you've used a Blackberry and many well designed phones (and the old Treos), they had a blinking diode light which would inform you if you had any messages. Even if your ringer was off during a meeting, forgot to turn on later, you would never miss a message. No light? Ridiculous and serious step back... bad Palm, bad!!!!

Regarding buttons, I could care less what I have to slide out (mega pain.) If I just want to answer a call I want to click a hardware button ON the phone, not screw around with it until I can get it to answer somehow. And if the display isn't working well or it's cold weather, you sure as heck want that hardware button.
    now thats pretty clear!

i never thought about that, but your question is very reasonable, my impression is that there is a patch for the first problem you have?

for second question, yeah, a hardware button sounds nice, but with Pre, you just tap the button on the bottom left. Just one tap, so far it works okay for me.
  16. b8b
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Pretty cool, but my gripes:[LIST]
    -My cheek keeps hitting the end call button somehow. I need like a swipe to end call patch.
    -can't send or accept calendar invites? maybe I missed something here... that is so basic!
    -sloooow
    -gps is not even close to accurate, but for some reason my friend's is. I must have a lemon.
    The notification LED is curiously missing on a lot of newer phones. Someone somewhere must have decided this feature was unnecessary; I don't get it. Every phone I've ever had included such an LED until the Razr 2, then my Samsung Instinct didn't have it (though it was later enabled with an official software update).

At least the Pre has a provision for this, but having to mod the phone (though minimal compared to other patches) is quite silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    The notification LED is curiously missing on a lot of newer phones. Someone somewhere must have decided this feature was unnecessary; I don't get it. Every phone I've ever had included such an LED until the Razr 2, then my Samsung Instinct didn't have it (though it was later enabled with an official software update).
    1) The iPhone doesn't have it since it would interfere with the "cool" minimalist look. Therefore every ***** executive has decided that what Steve Jobs does, we must do. In addition, they can rationalize it as a money saver that people can live without. Horrible corner to cut by these ***** suits who deserve to be hitting the streets on their rears.

At least the Pre has a provision for this, but having to mod the phone (though minimal compared to other patches) is quite silly.
    It's absurd. And as I said regarding the hardware button, if it's cold outside the sensitivity is minimal. And lord knows I hate putting the phone against my face and having the phone hang up by accident. The iPhone handles this with a little light sensitivity meter which turns off the screen. Clever but not the greatest solution - but they DO have a hardware button. Now the Palm Pre looks cooler and loses even more functionality. Brilliant. It's not like there wasn't room.
    It's absurd. And as I said regarding the hardware button, if it's cold outside the sensitivity is minimal. And lord knows I hate putting the phone against my face and having the phone hang up by accident. The iPhone handles this with a little light sensitivity meter which turns off the screen. Clever but not the greatest solution - but they DO have a hardware button. Now the Palm Pre looks cooler and loses even more functionality. Brilliant. It's not like there wasn't room.
    the Pre has the same type of proximity sensor to turn off the screen and one can also answer the phone by opening the slider.

Have you actually used a Pre for any length of time or are you just recycling complaints from 6 months ago?
    If you new Pre Plus guys and girls are looking to start patching and adding the homebrew apps check out my How to add homebrew apps.

How to Add Homebrew Apps | The Mx Web
    - Skinneejay -
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast