Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    Regarding the Network, Verizon Wireless has been feeding horse manure to the masses. The network makes a difference if you are traveling outside major metropolitan areas but if you mostly live in a major city, there is virtually no difference. In certain places AT&T gets better coverage, believe it or not. The difference between networks is marginal. Even Sprint is better than fine. The problem with the iPhone is that it usually requires much more data to be pushed through the pipe.
    (still waiting to get my VZW Pre+ next month, but had to chime in)...

You *DO* realize that the VAST MAJORITY of this country does NOT live in a major city, right?

*Raises hand*

Therefore, the network indeed DOES make a big difference.

The elitism of you city folk against us country bumpkins....
    I purchased a Pre-plus last night from my VZW store. I'm thoroughly impressed with the WebOS. However, I started having reset issues this morning when opening and closing the slider. I took it back and have a new Pre-plus. This one feels much more solid when it slide into place. Hopefully the first one was just a fluke.
    Quote Originally Posted by headgamer View Post

You *DO* realize that the VAST MAJORITY of this country does NOT live in a major city, right?

*Raises hand*

(1) The larger cities that are vastly more densely populated are covered.

(2) The commercials that are aired in every large cities might be more useful to the honorable country bumpkins but are designed to fool the city boys into thinking that Verizon's coverage is so much better in their area. Hence the discussions talking about public commuting, such as the reference to the metro in DC, were about the city boys and the false information being put out by Verizon.

No disrespect intended, my friend. In the outer areas, coverage can vary greatly depending upon the carrier.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Today I added several old PalmOS programs via Classic. Some worked, some not so much. I am being selective and only adding what I really need. Working: iSilo, Bejeweled2, Olive Tree Bible Reader, Easy Address and Easy Notes (both Iambic) Resco Explorer for Pre; and HandyShopper. PIM all ok.
    Since this is my 1st Pre, I really can't comment on slider or keyboard--both seem fine to me. I am enjoying just learning how to maneuver around. Have added a couple of apps. Plan to do Homebrew this weekend when I have some time. Right not downloading PIM info via Chapura Pocket Mirror. Once that is done, plan to use the Pre exclusively. Still need a password manager--hoping to download my Passwords Plus data into a csv file and import into SplashID (only $4.99, with Desktop "coming soon."
    Still lovin' this phone. I don't think I've been this excited since I upgraded from Palm T3 to TX and you know how long ago that was!
    Blessings
    Patrice
    Virginia
    Works like nothing else!
    (1) The larger cities that are vastly more densely populated are covered.

(2) The commercials that are aired in every large cities might be more useful to the honorable country bumpkins but are designed to fool the city boys into thinking that Verizon's coverage is so much better in their area. Hence the discussions talking about public commuting, such as the reference to the metro in DC, were about the city boys and the false information being put out by Verizon.

No disrespect intended, my friend. In the outer areas, coverage can vary greatly depending upon the carrier.

Oh I know. No offense taken. Was just having fun with it is all.

Can anyone hurry up the calendar and fast forward to 2/28 when my upgrade window opens with VZW? Sheesh! ;-)
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Been using my Pre Plus for about 36 hours now and it is the best phone I have ever used! Have had no problem with battery life what so ever. have mail set to as received. I was previously using the Storm 2 and tried the touch Pro 2 for about 2 weeks. The Pre blows them both out of the water. I love that I can have my applications running on cards and don't need to close everything down when a new email or text comes. The only thing I really am missing is a good sports score app. what a great phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    I purchased a Pre-plus last night from my VZW store. I'm thoroughly impressed with the WebOS. However, I started having reset issues this morning when opening and closing the slider. I took it back and have a new Pre-plus. This one feels much more solid when it slide into place. Hopefully the first one was just a fluke.
    I purchased mine from BB today and it did it to me too. It reset and never came back on. I took it back to BB and the guy pulled the battery and it came back on. I'll wait it out another day.
    My experience: I'm a long time Verizon customer and I'm not planning on changing anytime soon. It's been a crazy few months with lots of great phones (Driod, Eris, Pre, and Nexus one soon). I haven't pulled the trigger yet but I have been following the Pre since Jan 09. So I went to the local store (Palo Alto) and played with the Pre for about 45 mins. One of the young employees helped my initially but really had nothing to say about the palm products ("there more for business users"). Then he went back to his coworker/buddies and played with their Droids. It was pretty pathetic. Only one person even came over to see what I was playing with and the store was fairly busy.
    My impressions: I love the fit/feel of the phone and the OS/UI. The pre plus rocks! It's not laggy at all. Sure it takes a second to open an app but nothing that is annoying. Cards are amazing. Truly a great idea. It was a joy to actually get my hands on a pre after following for so long.
    On the negative side I felt like the screen was a little small. I have a palm centro now but use an Ipod Touch for surfing/email/apps stuff. It may just seem small because I came from the touch. I'm really putting a lot of weight on the web surfing experience and I'm not sure if I'll be satisfied? What do the Sprint user think of the web surfing/ readability of the web pages on the Pre? Also the GPS did not work on the phone at all. I disable wifi. Made sure the location services were on. Enable wifi.. Had a great 3 g signal. I'm just worried that there seems to be a lot of bugs with the WebOS platform for some reason! I know this is still generation 1 phone but what is the deal?
    So I have until Feb 19th to make a decision. Hopefully by then the Nexus One will be out and I'll have more options.
    I really love the webOS experience though. Does the initial fun factor wear off and do the little bugs turn into too much after a month or so????
    Quote Originally Posted by inittowinit View Post
    I'm really putting a lot of weight on the web surfing experience and I'm not sure if I'll be satisfied? What do the Sprint user think of the web surfing/ readability of the web pages on the Pre? Also the GPS did not work on the phone at all. I disable wifi. Made sure the location services were on. Enable wifi.. Had a great 3 g signal. I'm just worried that there seems to be a lot of bugs with the WebOS platform for some reason! ?
    its really a joy to surf the web on this phone. I do have small complaints such as unable to save password, can't search within the page, no fast forward and backward (reading cache). But overall, its near the top of mobile browsers, as far as I understand, its praised to be better than android browsers.

GPS seems will only work when the phone is activated with a carrier.

Its fun when I first put my hand on it on launch day last year, Its every bit of fun today. Im very happy with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by headgamer View Post

*Raises hand*

Well, that depends on what you define as a major city. A VAST MAJORITY (around 70%) of the country lives in urbanized areas (areas with over 50,000 people), and close to 60% of the population lives in areas with over 200,000 people. I'm sure if you add up the populations of the 10 or so most populous metropolitan areas in the US, you'd get close to 100,000,000 people. That's not exactly a small minority of people. Lol, but, I actually agree with your main point, that the network does matter. I live in Los Angeles, a pretty major city, and coverage really does vary between the different providers.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I am really excited to hear reports about the slider being better.

My gsm pre has a pretty good slider, but it still feels like you gotta be careful with it.

This is all sounding very promising! Thanks for your reports guys!
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by inittowinit View Post
    My experience: I'm a long time Verizon customer and I'm not planning on changing anytime soon. It's been a crazy few months with lots of great phones (Driod, Eris, Pre, and Nexus one soon). I haven't pulled the trigger yet but I have been following the Pre since Jan 09. So I went to the local store (Palo Alto) and played with the Pre for about 45 mins. One of the young employees helped my initially but really had nothing to say about the palm products ("there more for business users"). Then he went back to his coworker/buddies and played with their Droids. It was pretty pathetic. Only one person even came over to see what I was playing with and the store was fairly busy.
    My impressions: I love the fit/feel of the phone and the OS/UI. The pre plus rocks! It's not laggy at all. Sure it takes a second to open an app but nothing that is annoying. Cards are amazing. Truly a great idea. It was a joy to actually get my hands on a pre after following for so long.
    On the negative side I felt like the screen was a little small. I have a palm centro now but use an Ipod Touch for surfing/email/apps stuff. It may just seem small because I came from the touch. I'm really putting a lot of weight on the web surfing experience and I'm not sure if I'll be satisfied? What do the Sprint user think of the web surfing/ readability of the web pages on the Pre? Also the GPS did not work on the phone at all. I disable wifi. Made sure the location services were on. Enable wifi.. Had a great 3 g signal. I'm just worried that there seems to be a lot of bugs with the WebOS platform for some reason! I know this is still generation 1 phone but what is the deal?
    So I have until Feb 19th to make a decision. Hopefully by then the Nexus One will be out and I'll have more options.
    I really love the webOS experience though. Does the initial fun factor wear off and do the little bugs turn into too much after a month or so????
    I am on Sprint, and I had a centro(LOVED that phone, was a tank) before I bought my Pre(just got it coming up on a month ago).. I ALSO have an iPod Touch(3rd gen I think it is, whtaever the latest is..), I used it the same way you do, for browsing, email, some apps... to be completely honest with you, I have seized using my touch(except when I want to listen to my 7000+ songs WITH Apple's Genius when Im working out with my command, mainly because I already have an armband for my iPod.. other than that I stick to internet radio or Pandora with my Pre..) at all save for a FEW apps that I do not doubt will be on the Pre eventually since the SDK has been fleshed out..

I personally do not think you will be dissatisfied with the Pre if you were to buy it, even though Ive had it for about a month, I LOVE using it, theres something about it that draws you in(as if you're physically interacting with whats on screen) when you use the gestures and what not.. Im constantly getting compliments from my phone and its abilities(webOS is AMAZING, LOVE IT!!), and not to mention sleek and sexy look.

Also to add, I was just in Best buy a little bit ago.. I was fooling around with the Pre plus.. which was a non working phone(not a big deal as NONE of their phones were demo-able).. The Plus though definitely felt ALOT better with its slider, felt as if it was tighter, slid smoother and with more power.. I didnt see the big deal with the keyboard, felt the same as Sprint's Pre.. Overall.. definitely a noticeable refinement in the hardware.. Glad Palm has taken action..
    Last edited by feyded1020; 01/26/2010 at 06:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by seistoes View Post
    I was able to text myself (from the display unit) the snazzy new Plus wallpaper and made it my default wallpaper. :-)
    So you'll be posting that wallpaper for the rest of us.. right? please?
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Loved my Sprint Pre and Sprint's pricing, hated to leave but I had no service in some very key areas also I had issues with the slider and dead pixels. (went through 5). I went on my girlfriend's VZW account in November (thank God she gets a discount through work because we all know Verizon is like Kobe, they love to take advantage of you.) I digress, The Pre Plus is AMAZING!!! The slider is tight, no pixel issues and I love the Knight Rider type strobing light effect! GOD I MISSED WEBOS!!!!!!
    I picked my Pre+ up yesterday morning. I love it! I upgraded from the Omnia and there is no comparison. Only problem I have is when the keyboard is out the top half is a little wobbly, but other than that I think it's great.
    Last edited by JPDVM2014; 01/26/2010 at 07:44 PM.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    I think at some point in the 2-3 year future (or perhaps this Wednesday if Apple "ups" their game) phones and phone operating systems will be expected to fulfill exactly the role of being effective enough to really be able to do without also having the laptop. So hparsons, you're (currently) right, but WebOS can't continue in the old "palm" time. I want to see this future expectation in 1 - 1 1/2 years at most!
    I disagree. Laptop never killed the desktop PCs. I don't think phone can solve all computing needs, either. It is probably true that a smartphone can serve most of a person's communication needs, including phone calls, text messaging, emails. An "iPad" big enough for me to read my PDF docs would be too big for me to carry all the timer, to the movies, to ski, to a bar, to a doctor's appointment, etc. A phone that's small enough to do all that would never allow me to read a graphic rich PDF comfortably.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    7) Durability - I didn't see any improvements to the hardware. What I didn't like about the Pre was the question of long term viability of the keyboard, that silly mini-USB on the side of the device and inability to simply dock it like any other device. Add in the inability to get a good case on there such as many standard Berries and the iPhone.
    I agree that not having a 'dock solution' for the device is limiting, especially given that the micro-USB port cover is annoying. I think someone had mentioned on a thread that Palm kinda got burned on warranty work on 'dock connectors' on the bottom of a recent device that would pick up a lot of crud from the bottom of vehicle cup holders.

The Touchstone addresses this slightly by allowing wireless charging of the device. If Palm included a way to put the device in 'usb drive' mode via bluetooth or wifi, that would be slick.

What cases have you looked at? The PreCentral store has several.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Techiechick:

Here you go. Enjoy!:

http://forums.precentral.net/members...magejpeg-2.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    I agree that not having a 'dock solution' for the device is limiting, especially given that the micro-USB port cover is annoying. I think someone had mentioned on a thread that Palm kinda got burned on warranty work on 'dock connectors' on the bottom of a recent device that would pick up a lot of crud from the bottom of vehicle cup holders.

The Touchstone addresses this slightly by allowing wireless charging of the device. If Palm included a way to put the device in 'usb drive' mode via bluetooth or wifi, that would be slick.
    1) The crud on the bottom issue didn't stop Apple, did it? Additionally, many cases feature a flap that covers the bottom. My iphone case has one.

2) The Touchstone is an absurd attempt at coolness over real functionality. I've got to spend $70 for something resembling a dock that makes it simple to dock, charge and mount the phone as a hard drive?

What cases have you looked at? The PreCentral store has several.
    The cases are all mediocre. The phone is hard to case with the slider and many of them make the phone incompatible with the Touchstone. Hence the additional need to have just kept a wired connection, dock/charge the phone and mount it easily. This used to be one of the best features the Treo had and awesome docks that also played music through via the Treo.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by naes007 View Post
    Been using my Pre Plus for about 36 hours now and it is the best phone I have ever used! Have had no problem with battery life what so ever. have mail set to as received. I was previously using the Storm 2 and tried the touch Pro 2 for about 2 weeks. The Pre blows them both out of the water. I love that I can have my applications running on cards and don't need to close everything down when a new email or text comes. The only thing I really am missing is a good sports score app. what a great phone!
    I'm hoping the folks that created ScoreMobile come out with a Pre app.
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast