Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    I'm looking forward to seeing some threads about how to cook up a mixed sprint/verizon firmware and how to use a sprint pre on verizon network

by the way does anyone know if it's possible to verizon doctor a sprint pre's h/w and register it on verizon, or are the radios too different?
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I just switched from a sprint pre to the verizon pre, and I have to see there are significant differences:

For starters, the phone feels so much more solid, they really ramped up the build quality. My phone has absolutely no give when squeezing the two pieces of the phone together. The phone also has zero oreo effect. The slider mechanism is much stronger, and more spring loaded. And the keyboard is significantly clickier, although I became a big fan of the mushiness of the sprint pre, and I still like that keyboard better.

For me the extra RAM has made a relatively significant difference overall. The phone just seems snappier in general, and of course I can now run more applications than I will ever need at one time.

Lastly, the removal of the center button has give the phone a much cleaner look, and creates one less opportunity for a malfunction in the hardware. I never use the button press anyway, but if one chooses, tapping the gesture area works well.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the pre plus. It seems its what the pre should've been all along.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Walked into a Verizon store in South Florida around 7PM. I too am sticking with Sprint, but was just curious about messing around with the Plus.

Both the Pre and Pixi display phones were not even activated yet. In other words, when I turned them on, they were displaying the "log into your Palm profile" screen. I had to enter dummy information just to be able to get to the homepage. If any customer had tried to use the phone earlier that day, they would'nt have had a chance to really explore the phone. Who knows how many sales were lost.

I was also under the impression that it would be launched with 1.4 and was very disappointed to discover otherwise.

I really don't see why everyone is making a fuss over the new keyboard and slider. I did not notice much difference between my pre and the plus as I compared them side-by-side.

I was able to text myself (from the display unit) the snazzy new Plus wallpaper and made it my default wallpaper. :-)
    Last edited by seistoes; 01/25/2010 at 08:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by seistoes View Post
    Walked into a Verizon store in South Florida around 7PM. I too am sticking with Sprint, but was just curious about messing around with the Plus.

Both the Pre and Pixi display phones were not even activated yet. In other words, when I turned them on, they were displaying the "log into your Palm profile" screen. I had to enter dummy information just to be able to get to the homepage. If any customer had tried to use the phone earlier that day, they would'nt have had a chance to really explore the phone. Who knows how many sales were lost.

I was also under the impression that it would be launched with 1.4 and was very disappointed to discover otherwise.

I really don't see why everyone is making a fuss over the new keyboard and slider. I did not notice much difference between my pre and the plus as I compared them side-by-side.

I was able to text myself the snazzy new Plus wallpaper and made it my default wallpaper on my Pre.
    Funny thing, I had the same experience at my local V store, no posters or anything up, the Pre and Pixi Pluses were just sitting there along with about 100 other phones, people not even noticing they were there. I picked up the Pre Plus and compared it to my Pre and really could not tell much difference between the sliders and keys. They had a Palm rep there and I was showing him my Preware stuff, he was really impressed! One guy just activated his Pre, so I had him type in precentral.net on his phone.
    Same experience here. I went to my local verizon store to pick up mine I asked them how many were sold today and they said I was the first. It was about 6:30pm central time and the store is pretty large. No posters just a position in the front of the store.

I still got mine though. Loving every minute of it
    Quote Originally Posted by mullrat View Post
    Same experience here. I went to my local verizon store to pick up mine I asked them how many were sold today and they said I was the first. It was about 6:30pm central time and the store is pretty large. No posters just a position in the front of the store.

I still got mine though. Loving every minute of it
    Hey a least they were in the front of your store, in my local V store they were 2/3 of the way back on the side of the room.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Most people are tied to a computer to one degree or another, regardless of what smartphone they're using (example - there were lots of folks on here who immediately began screaming that there was no sync solution for the Pre). I don't think the Pre was ever touted as something that would free you from a computer, so I'm not sure where you're getting your "defeats the purpose" stuff.
    I think at some point in the 2-3 year future (or perhaps this Wednesday if Apple "ups" their game) phones and phone operating systems will be expected to fulfill exactly the role of being effective enough to really be able to do without also having the laptop. So hparsons, you're (currently) right, but WebOS can't continue in the old "palm" time. I want to see this future expectation in 1 - 1 1/2 years at most!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknight View Post
    Wrong, WMATA opened this up last year and right now all carriers work in the stations Tunnels will be next and phased in over the remaining year and half of project time. Tunnels can only be worked on during a 3 hour window from 1:00 AM - 4:00 AM when the trains aren't running. This 3 hour window includes hauling equipment, set-up, install and hauling equipment back out of the tunnel before the trains start. Huge PITA and will take ~2 years to complete for the DAS to be installed in all tunnels.
    Agree 100%. 10 years ago there was a very noticeable gap between the two. Now it's minimal at best and all the tunnels and bridges have same access for all the major carriers. The only real difference is in the way the coverage works for GSM versus CDMA. GSM hits spots where your coverage will go out and knock you off a call on rare occasions but each has it's advantages.

See all those ridiculous propaganda Verizon has in their latest commercials about "is that map of our US coverage getting in the way?" Well that is a national map. Most people could care less if coverage between North and South Dakota is greater for verizon if you live in DC, NY, LA or Chicago. It's all misleading information. I have a phone on Verizon and AT&T and it's a non-issue.

AT&T's major problem with the iPhone is bandwidth, which is MUCH higher than Blackberry usage and it has been their curse, in a way, to have exclusive use of the iPhone. Now they've got it down and my iPhone with 3G is NOTICEABLY faster than my Verizon phones, hands down. My brother and friend tested theirs and it's consistent and not a fluke.
    Quote Originally Posted by afhb21 View Post
    For starters, the phone feels so much more solid, they really ramped up the build quality. My phone has absolutely no give when squeezing the two pieces of the phone together. The phone also has zero oreo effect. The slider mechanism is much stronger, and more spring loaded. And the keyboard is significantly clickier, although I became a big fan of the mushiness of the sprint pre, and I still like that keyboard better.
    This part of your post is my favorite post of the day. Once other people start seeing/feeling the same as you, it will be nice to say that Palm has crossed another milestone. (The real test will be if the other typical "stupid build issues" are gone with this phone.) I really hope they are, but only time (at least the next two weeks) will really tell.

If the Pre Plus turns out to be a quality device, and flash and webos 1.4 don't have significant software issues, I think we'll be able to say that Palm has turned another corner as a company. Of course the pressure will be on from all comers. It's nice right now to hear some Verizon customers beginning to really enjoy their Pre Plus phones.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I went to my local verizon store in Forest hills NY and they were selling very well!!! Go palm....The pre plus is top of the line
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    If the Pre Plus turns out to be a quality device, and flash and webos 1.4 don't have significant software issues, I think we'll be able to say that Palm has turned another corner as a company. Of course the pressure will be on from all comers. It's nice right now to hear some Verizon customers beginning to really enjoy their Pre Plus phones.
    Thanks for the reviews, agreed.

Where I disagree with you is that Palm building a good phone is going to make a difference. They screwed up badly, unfortunately. Very badly. The window to get out a new device and have the carrier support its release is long gone. Verizon has partnered with Google to push Android. Blackberry is the corporate faithful because it is what it is - a great email device with something extra (web use is limited and unnecessary for many for work.) We still have Windows Mobile coming out - it deserves recognition given MS Exchange.

So where does that leave Palm? Unfortunately as a niche device looking up. I love what WebOS has as potential but it's got how many apps? 1,000? If 90% are garbage, which is a good estimate of most apps of any platform, then yuo've got 100 good apps. Wow... that's sad. Very sad. And Palm giving out their bounty for a good app here and there is not going to incentive developers to work with WebOS - the market is much larger with the iPhone and Android, not to mention Windows when it comes out.

My question is whether WebOS and the existing apps will be good enough for my needs - great organizer/date/contacts, email app, web browser, to-do list, and a few other items. If it fills the stop gap and the new hardware is really great (I miss that hardware keyboard badly) then super. I may just get it. Otherwise by the time the device hits "adequate" for the masses, Palm will be but a blip of a blip on the radar. The next few months will be crucial and if Verizon doesn't push the Pre Plus, Palm might be going nowhere in 2011. I didn't even see any big signs in the windows here - and I'm near 3 stores.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Spent all day exploring the new PPP, and now to bed. So much more to look at tomorrow. Can't wait to try Preware soon. My Verizon (early AM) had VZW employees working on the Palm phones prior to opening (yes, I was there too early). They were functioning, and the display was close to the front. I was #1 and a gentleman near me #2 on Palm purchases. I am excited about this phone like never before and hope VZW markets the heck out of it!. Later, Pre friends.
    Patrice
    Virginia
    Works like nothing else!
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    I think at some point in the 2-3 year future (or perhaps this Wednesday if Apple "ups" their game) phones and phone operating systems will be expected to fulfill exactly the role of being effective enough to really be able to do without also having the laptop. So hparsons, you're (currently) right, but WebOS can't continue in the old "palm" time. I want to see this future expectation in 1 - 1 1/2 years at most!
    Good thing then that Palm is well ahead of Apple and Android in this area eh? Backups, software updates, and synchronization happen without ever having to connect it to a computer. So I don't know what you are talking about when you say "WebOS can't continue in the old 'palm' time."
  14. sko
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Alrighty then!

Just got my Pre Plus today from BB and I'm pretty happpy with it overall.I'm practicing my typing skillz on this little keyboard right now andI think I'm getting better already .

So lets see.... At the Best Buy I went to you wouldn't have even known this phone existed unless you asked for it by name. But the guy I boight from had a Sprint Pre and he loves it.

Anyways the keyboard is small and not as clicky as the pixi but omg the pixi keyboard is even smaller and my big man hands have a hard enough time with these bunched together keys. Although I think the OS could be a little smoother overall, it's definitley smooth enough.

This is my first experience with any pre I might add and so far it has met my expectations. I've already got Preware going and have installed some cool patches and apps. Next stop Themes

Also the browser is quite nice but could be less checkered you know .

Anyways, I'll be sure to update you guys as my feelings change.

Oh and one more thing! Youtube Videos look freakin' nice on this beautiful screen!
    I went into the Verizon store in my city and many people were unaware of the pre plus and pixi plus (well it's santa cruz, it's a small town). I checked out the two phones and essentially, they're pretty similar. Overall, the slider is a little better, the keys on the keyboard aren't as clicky as I read on many pages but still felt the same for me. The phone looks cleaner without the middle button, but I don't mind it on my phone. I tested out the internet and sprints 3g seemed faster than Verizon's. However, with the extra ram on the pre plus, the plus was able to load apps faster than my pre.

Just my experience with the plus phones today. I think i was the only one excited in the store while lookin at the palm phones while everyone tried comparing the droid to the iphone. Glad that the pre and pixi are gonna expand and have a bigger user base. Hope the Verizon plus owners enjoy their phones as much as we are!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    Good thing then that Palm is well ahead of Apple and Android in this area eh? Backups, software updates, and synchronization happen without ever having to connect it to a computer. So I don't know what you are talking about when you say "WebOS can't continue in the old 'palm' time."
    I think he means they can't continue at the current snail's pace. As it is the Pre shows real promise but nobody cares. Verizon launches it with no fanfare. The adoption is very slow. If that's the case then by the time Palm has the Pre running more smoothly, everyone else is a full generation away and has thousands more developers extending their application base.

I'll be checking out a Pre Plus today. If it weren't for the 8GB version and what I thought was lackluster hardware, I would have bought it instead of the 32GB iphone 3G. At virtually the same price, it was a no brainer and Outlook support was built in (which I think is STILL not standard and completely worked out on the Pre, not sure if Chapura ever stepped up.) I hope they make it but they MUST get their priorities in order and get it done immediately. Making all sorts of adoption forecasts to the street is just delusional rationalizing. They are out of time for all delay.
  17.    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by etrade18 View Post
    I went to my local verizon store in Forest hills NY and they were selling very well!!! Go palm....The pre plus is top of the line
    Austin St. !!
  18.    #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    I think he means they can't continue at the current snail's pace. As it is the Pre shows real promise but nobody cares. Verizon launches it with no fanfare. The adoption is very slow. If that's the case then by the time Palm has the Pre running more smoothly, everyone else is a full generation away and has thousands more developers extending their application base.

I'll be checking out a Pre Plus today. If it weren't for the 8GB version and what I thought was lackluster hardware, I would have bought it instead of the 32GB iphone 3G. At virtually the same price, it was a no brainer and Outlook support was built in (which I think is STILL not standard and completely worked out on the Pre, not sure if Chapura ever stepped up.) I hope they make it but they MUST get their priorities in order and get it done immediately. Making all sorts of adoption forecasts to the street is just delusional rationalizing. They are out of time for all delay.
    I couldn't agree more.
    Hey everyone! Just picked up my Plus from Best Buy. I must say, it is MUCH better then the POS Storm I ditched!
  20.    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalvapor View Post
    Hey everyone! Just picked up my Plus from Best Buy. I must say, it is MUCH better then the POS Storm I ditched!
    Glad to hear ur happyy with it so far.