Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    I even made a thread months ago about the importance of advertising, and how little of it was being done for the Pre.
    Something as simple as billboards were nowhere to be seen. For other phones? Yep. All over the place.
    How much out of the budget can 10 or 15 billboards put up in 10 metro areas eat up? It would surely pay for itself.
    I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your point, but how often are ad campaigns re-started when a phone is released to a new carrier?

I mean, Palm already dumped a bunch of money on Pre commercials that were awful, and a handful more for the Pixi. It's debateable how much they have to gain by launching a new ad campaign right now. Perhaps once Flash drops that will change, but right now...

And for Verizon, how much money do they want to put into advertising for a non-exclusive phone that's already been around for almost 9 months? Subscribers are the most important thing to a carrier, not what phone they're using. You could be shooting yourself in the foot releasing killer ads and having someone say, "Ooh, that phone looks sweet. It's available on Sprint too? Awesome, I don't have to switch carriers to get it." I don't know how much they could bank on the RAM and Storage increase pulling people away from their carriers.

I know we're Pre-centric here, but the lack of an all out ad push by Palm or Verizon is pretty logical at the moment.
    Foxycar posted on her twitter that VZW ads are coming:

"RT @foxycar: @vara411 @fathom614 The ads, they are a-coming. And they're offering a great BOGO deal now! Believe me....they care!"
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your point, but how often are ad campaigns re-started when a phone is released to a new carrier?

I mean, Palm already dumped a bunch of money on Pre commercials that were awful, and a handful more for the Pixi. It's debateable how much they have to gain by launching a new ad campaign right now. Perhaps once Flash drops that will change, but right now...

And for Verizon, how much money do they want to put into advertising for a non-exclusive phone that's already been around for almost 9 months? Subscribers are the most important thing to a carrier, not what phone they're using. You could be shooting yourself in the foot releasing killer ads and having someone say, "Ooh, that phone looks sweet. It's available on Sprint too? Awesome, I don't have to switch carriers to get it." I don't know how much they could bank on the RAM and Storage increase pulling people away from their carriers.

I know we're Pre-centric here, but the lack of an all out ad push by Palm or Verizon is pretty logical at the moment.
    totally agree with your logic. Traditionally carriers do ads when the device is "exclusive" to that carrier and that its the first launch of a product. IF a carrier gets it later they just try few ads and add to their existing line of ads that "new" device. Its being business savvy, to say the least.
    Went to VZW store in NJ today and the Pre and Pixi displays was right near front door. But Pre Plus wasn't enabled on the 3G network, the Pixi was enabled. I also noticed about 1077 apps in app catalog as compared to over 1200 on Sprint Pre. Keyboard does feel better. While I was playing with the Pre (for around 15 minutes) no one was waiting to check it out next. But in general the store was pretty empty and it was raining today.

So is VZW going to do any TV ads?
    I also went to a Verizon Store in Northern NJ today on my lunch break. It was fairly crowded I'd say at least 10 or so people. Right near the front was a fairly large kiosk to show off their "flagship" phones. The center phone was the Droid, and flanking it was both the Pre Plus and the Pixi Plus. On top of that, on each side of that display was a Pre Plus and Pixi plus in their own kiosks. I overheard a few Verizon employees talking to customers about Palms new phones, and everyone that came in was playing with them. I did see a few people walk out with Pres and Pixis. It seems, at least in my area, they are doing fairly well.
    Wow, This device is pretty nice. I really like the form factor the slider is sturdy but I hate the keyboard lol. Although it's not a deal breaker for me, I am currently syncing music through doubletwist. There is absolutely no oreo, this device is solid as a rock. Also taking that damn batter cover off is like a nightmare. The OS is smooth as butter and I'm unsure which game to but to test. Also if i could get some advice on WOQI and Preware it would be much appreciated.
    Have fun, my fellow former-NYer.
    I will im kinda afraid to do anything though, is there a Verizon WebOS Doctor up?

Found it google is my friend
    Last edited by gladesmellzgood; 01/25/2010 at 06:29 PM.
    I can't believe it. That's pretty dumb, imo. It shoulda been 1.4.x
    You only get 1 chance to make a good first impression, and that would've been 1.4.x right off the bat.
    Even after 1.3.5.1 and all its improvements, this is still an incomplete OS.
    well simply put, palm wants all web os to get the latest updates at once, with exception of overseas. they really want to keep things in order unlike android which has multiple variations of their os out there. you verizon guys got a great addition of ram and 8 extra gigs, so be patient my palm buddy and we will be watching flash on 1.4 next month
  9.    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by gladesmellzgood View Post
    I will im kinda afraid to do anything though, is there a Verizon WebOS Doctor up?
    Sorry, I don't know.
    Yeah umm, we don't buy smartphones to be tied to the PC. It defeats the purpose.
    What's this "we" stuff? You don't know what "we" bought it for, only what you (and maybe some folks you know) did.

Most people are tied to a computer to one degree or another, regardless of what smartphone they're using (example - there were lots of folks on here who immediately began screaming that there was no sync solution for the Pre). I don't think the Pre was ever touted as something that would free you from a computer, so I'm not sure where you're getting your "defeats the purpose" stuff.

Actually, the Pre was touted as a device could tie various sources together. Multipe contact lists, multiple calendars, etc. It's doing a pretty good job of that, even if using Google Calendar from a computer.

BTW, the added advantage is that you can share select calendars with other users as well.

I'm a little mystified at the immediate "that's not what it's for" response when trying to offer someone a solution for what they're trying to do. Sounds like you're looking for issues...
    I downloaded it but WOQI still wants me to download another one lol, all i want is some Preware is that too much to ask?
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    What's this "we" stuff? You don't know what "we" bought it for, only what you (and maybe some folks you know) did.

Most people are tied to a computer to one degree or another, regardless of what smartphone they're using (example - there were lots of folks on here who immediately began screaming that there was no sync solution for the Pre). I don't think the Pre was ever touted as something that would free you from a computer, so I'm not sure where you're getting your "defeats the purpose" stuff.

Actually, the Pre was touted as a device could tie various sources together. Multipe contact lists, multiple calendars, etc. It's doing a pretty good job of that, even if using Google Calendar from a computer.

BTW, the added advantage is that you can share select calendars with other users as well.

I'm a little mystified at the immediate "that's not what it's for" response when trying to offer someone a solution for what they're trying to do. Sounds like you're looking for issues...
    I'm not looking for anything. I'm passionate about what i'm saying because i want to see webOS prevail.
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    Thanks hparsons and Willxcore for the info, but this is not what I want. Is the 3rd party app, Remember The Milk available for the Pre?
    Yeah, I misread "tasks" into "events".

Check out Outline Tracker. I don't think it does repeating tasks yet, but I"m sure it'll be coming, and there's probably a workaround. It does have an equivalent to "Categories". It even syncs to the cloud!

I've not used Remember the Milk, but I'm almost positive I remember seeing an app for it listed in PreWare.
    Quote Originally Posted by gladesmellzgood View Post
    I downloaded it but WOQI still wants me to download another one lol, all i want is some Preware is that too much to ask?
    When you download WOSQI, you usually have to download WebOS Doctor along with it.

As for which games to buy to really test out the power of your phone, check out webOSroundup. There are video reviews for apps that you can check out to help you decide what you do and don't want to blow your money on.
    webOSroundup - App Reviews, News and More
  15.    #95  
    @hparsons:
    And yes, I know we ALL want to see webOS prevail. We just have different opinions on what we think it'll take, that's all.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    IMO Smartphones are complementary, not yet complete standalone devices. I do the bulk of my input onto my PC because the interface and keyboard are much easier, and use my Pre when I'm not near a computer to schedule meetings. Anything that is requiring multiple dates I think is fine to do on a computer.

I don't think many power users are not also using computers.
    Exactly the way I use mine, at least for home use (I work in the IT field, and it's a closed system, the Pre wouldn't substitute at all for a PC in that environment).
    Hmmm, can we get back to what the op asked?

Verizon people, whats your first impression (if you read the thread this far)?

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    the build quality is ok....not as badas it seems from reading all the posts....you will never hear someone come on here to praise that their pre has lasted perrectly fine since launch day, but conversely, every single person that has a problem is gonna write about it on here. It's not perfect, but it's not bad either.
    Incorrect. There are a number of people on here that have had 0 problems with the launch day Pre (myself included). Every few weeks someone comes up with another poll. They are all overwhelmingly in favor of the folks that aren't having problems. I suspect that the ratio in the "non-forum" world is even better.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    getting mine tomorrow as long as everything goes ok with fed ex. coming from a droid eris and before that a blackberry storm. i have been wanting one since last january and i cannot wait.
    My phone history has been Treo 600 - 650 - 755 - centro - bb curve - bb tour and now the pre plus. I've only had it for a couple hours but I'm loving it. Getting use to the keyboard (the tour's was awesome). I'll post a more in depth review in the next couple days. So glad to be back with palm!
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast