Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    Just got home from the Verizon store. There were about 15 people in the relatively small store and NOT ONE person looked at the Pre/Pixi. Most just walked up to the counter and asked for the Droid... I was in there about 20 minutes.
    That makes sense to me since Palm and Verizon did very little to promote the launch except for a few newspaper ads and radio spots. Out here in SoCal you would have never known the launch was coming. Wierd.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Hmm....
    Wondering if 1.4.x with Flash would have made them more interested......
    No. You have this idea in your head that some arbitrary number that means nothing to the general consumer would actually persuade their purchase decisions.

The reason people were in there asking for Droids instead of Pres boils down to one word and one word only:

ADVERTISING.

I also went to my local Verizon store today, but with only the intention to look at a Pre Plus in person. There was literally no one else in the store because it is a ****ty day in my area with lots of rain. They hadn't connected the Pre to the standard showcase of cell phones yet but they had one that I was able to hold and play with for a little. I asked the guy if anyone came in for them today and he said that they already sold about 5 or 6 of them. He said that no one was asking about the Pixi, though, which is completely believable.
    webOSroundup - App Reviews, News and More
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    That makes sense to me since Palm and Verizon did very little to promote the launch except for a few newspaper ads and radio spots. Out here in SoCal you would have never known the launch was coming. Wierd.
    Agreed, if I hadn't followed the CES event, or Precentral, I wouldn't have even known the Pre was coming to Verizon. Barely any newspaper coverage (I've never seen any ads) and I've only heard one ad on the radio by chance because I had to run an errand with my company's car.
    webOSroundup - App Reviews, News and More
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I can post tomorrow on my impressions of the Pre Plus. I ordered mine online this morning and should be here tomorrow with the free overnight shipping. Thankfully I have the day off so I can play around with it all day. I will agree that the advertising for it was pretty pathetic, but I think a lot of people these days especially techy people, rely on the internet for their information. Most of the information I get is from online. Quite frankly I get annoyed with the same tv commercials over and over again. Yes the average consumer needs the tv commercial to find out about a new product, but I still think the pre plus will sell well for Verizon. One word of mouth gets around and people start checking it out, I think it will do well.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Perhaps they want to wait until Flash launches before they start heavy advertising. Flash could have been delayed a bit but they were somehow committed to a January 25 release date for the Pre+/Pixi+.

As it stands now, to push the Pre+ would be pushing a phone that is lacking many features available on their own Droid. That would be quite a contradiction to the "I Don't" campaign for the Droid. By holding off a few weeks, they can make a splash with having the "first" phone with native Flash support.

Plus, there could be a few more tricks in 1.4 that can be used as leverage as well.
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by willxcore View Post
    No. You have this idea in your head that some arbitrary number that means nothing to the general consumer would actually persuade their purchase decisions.

The reason people were in there asking for Droids instead of Pres boils down to one word and one word only:

ADVERTISING.

I also went to my local Verizon store today, but with only the intention to look at a Pre Plus in person. There was literally no one else in the store because it is a ****ty day in my area with lots of rain. They hadn't connected the Pre to the standard showcase of cell phones yet but they had one that I was able to hold and play with for a little. I asked the guy if anyone came in for them today and he said that they already sold about 5 or 6 of them. He said that no one was asking about the Pixi, though, which is completely believable.
    I know most ppl don't know 1.4 from . My point was and still is that it should have been released with the VZ rollout and actually demonstrated/advertised, like you said, to show off what it can do.
    Advertising pays for itself, and I agree with you completely on that.
    My first thoughts are wow, I've waited way to long to make this plunge device is pretty amazing. Just back home and the hackage will begin momentarily!!
  8.    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by gladesmellzgood View Post
    My first thoughts are wow, I've waited way to long to make this plunge device is pretty amazing. Just back home and the hackage will begin momentarily!!
    Have fun, my fellow former-NYer.
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    More is always better
    Tell that to my waistline...

yeah its kinda messed up that there has been NO advertising for palm...and only commercials i see are for palm pixie!!! what about the pre!! i be havin to show ppl and tell ppl about the pre... i have one verizon subscriber ready for the pre...she was wantin the HTC at first, but guess why....due to massive advertising!!! but i told her how n why palm pre was better and she trusted n believed my seeling points. this was back in dec09 and she has waited for this day!!
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    you will never hear someone come on here to praise that their pre has lasted perrectly fine since launch day...
    Actually (and to support your point, not debate it), there have been many people who've posted that their launch-day Pre is still going strong. I'm one of them.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Actually (and to support your point, not debate it), there have been many people who've posted that their launch-day Pre is still going strong. I'm one of them.
    +1, 3 in my family, got'em in June.
    I'm laughing at the giddy comments from people who are anxiously awaiting their new purchase. I completely relate. Good points, still no actual comments. I figured some ******* (you cannot type fann boyyzz !!! ) would have their hands on one and at least know the preliminary specs.

Regarding RAM, you're right and I meant storage. My point about the 16GB is yes, it isn't necessary to have 32 GB but if you already are using it then it's a pain to have to sift through what you have to transition. That isn't a major selling point to new users and an idiotic point not to have anticipated when marketing to iPhone users (or any others) who have set files already. As much as I like the potential of the Pre, it's not ground breaking that a large number of people are just dying to dump their iPhone or Blackberry and rush to it. And most of all, it makes me think that if Palm cut the corners in something so obvious, where else are corners cut? And to people thinking iPhone or Pre or something else, why would you LOCK yourself into 16GB? If you're into some movies, this phone is not for you.

$60-70 for painless sync is downright idiotic too. Fix the design so it's easily dockable. As I said, if the Pixi wasn't horribly underpowered I think that would have been a killer device. Nothing on the market like it. Hopefully Palm honed the Pre to deal with some of the first round gaffes and overlooked items. If it's just an 8GB bump and a new name then it's *yawn*... with Android already out there is even less incentive for Verizon and many customers to care. I loved Palm. The arrogance and belief that you build OK products to get repeat purchases is what has killed this company... so I'm hoping to hear those great reviews on the new and improved Palm pre Plus!!!!
    Just picked up the Pre Plus from my VZW store. Build quality IMO is much better than the Sprint version (I had that too). So far, I haven't noticed any "increase" in speed, however I can say that scrolling down my contact list (500+), loading web pages, and emailing have not cause any lag whatsoever. I had about 10 cards open today and the performance was pretty good.

The best part about the Pre Plus is that the Network is behind it, and I'm enjoying the voice quality and data coverage. I live in an area where all major carriers struggle with signal, but so far the Pre Plus is holding down the signal like a champ.

I REALLY like the new keyboard; it has much more travel and a satisfying "click" when you type; but for some reason they removed the orange key highlights and replaced them with grey. Overall this is a nice upgrade from Sprint's version, but VZW's data and network coverage are much better for me.
    Follow up - apparently there are some good improvements and they are supposedly:

- better keyboard, more space less sticky keys
    - 8GB extra storage (we know this)
    - inductive back cover (still need to buy the overpriced dock)
    - no center knob, now in gesture area (not sure if this is good)
    - better slider mechanism

I did notice that there are still signs it's first generation. The above are very good additions but I'm not sure it is what will pull me back into Palm. I'll have to check out the apps since I absolutely need a good email program (Apple's is miserable), excellent calendar (Agendus was great), a good outliner (Bonsai was awesome) and eventually a horizontal keyboard for viewing web pages that need this view (can there really be no solution for this yet?) So far so good.

Regarding the Network, Verizon Wireless has been feeding horse manure to the masses. The network makes a difference if you are traveling outside major metropolitan areas but if you mostly live in a major city, there is virtually no difference. In certain places AT&T gets better coverage, believe it or not. The difference between networks is marginal. Even Sprint is better than fine. The problem with the iPhone is that it usually requires much more data to be pushed through the pipe.
  16.    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by willxcore View Post

ADVERTISING.

I even made a thread months ago about the importance of advertising, and how little of it was being done for the Pre.
    Something as simple as billboards were nowhere to be seen. For other phones? Yep. All over the place.
    How much out of the budget can 10 or 15 billboards put up in 10 metro areas eat up? It would surely pay for itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    I even made a thread months ago about the importance of advertising, and how little of it was being done for the Pre.
    Something as simple as billboards were nowhere to be seen. For other phones? Yep. All over the place.
    How much out of the budget can 10 or 15 billboards put up in 10 metro areas eat up? It would surely pay for itself.
    How about some television commercials that actually make sense?

Those creepy girl commercials were a waste of money.
  18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    How about some television commercials that actually make sense?

Those creepy girl commercials were a waste of money.
    I agree.
    They should've rolled out VZ with 1.4.x and advertised the *blank* out of it.
    First impressions are lasting impressions. Period.
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    Regarding the Network, Verizon Wireless has been feeding horse manure to the masses. The network makes a difference if you are traveling outside major metropolitan areas but if you mostly live in a major city, there is virtually no difference. In certain places AT&T gets better coverage, believe it or not. The difference between networks is marginal. Even Sprint is better than fine. The problem with the iPhone is that it usually requires much more data to be pushed through the pipe.

Couldn't disagree more!

I live in the Washington DC metropolitan area...BIG city.

AT&T coverage STINKS to high heaven...and Verizon rocks.

And, for those that think this is "subjective"...the Washington DC Metro Authority has a contract with ONE carrier to provide cellular coverage in the underground metro stops, and tunnels.

Verizon.

No other phone works down there (well, my Sprint Pre does...because Sprint has a roaming agreement with Verizon. iPhones sure don't work down there).
    Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    Couldn't disagree more!

I live in the Washington DC metropolitan area...BIG city.

AT&T coverage STINKS to high heaven...and Verizon rocks.

And, for those that think this is "subjective"...the Washington DC Metro Authority has a contract with ONE carrier to provide cellular coverage in the underground metro stops, and tunnels.

Verizon.

No other phone works down there (well, my Sprint Pre does...because Sprint has a roaming agreement with Verizon. iPhones sure don't work down there).
    Wrong, WMATA opened this up last year and right now all carriers work in the stations Tunnels will be next and phased in over the remaining year and half of project time. Tunnels can only be worked on during a 3 hour window from 1:00 AM - 4:00 AM when the trains aren't running. This 3 hour window includes hauling equipment, set-up, install and hauling equipment back out of the tunnel before the trains start. Huge PITA and will take ~2 years to complete for the DAS to be installed in all tunnels.
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast