Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    I don't disagree with you 100% -- I can actually see it from your perspective, but the alternate view is there's also some value in demonstrating Palm's committment to rapid WebOS enhancement and the ease of Palm's OTA update process!!! If 1.4 stays on schedule, all of this will happen in the next 2-4 weeks and should be fairly impressive aspect of the "new" palm for its recently acquired verizon customers - who remember back to their Treo Update debacles by USB.
    Yeah, I guess I could see that point.
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke35 View Post
    Is it safe to assume that once webOS 1.4.x is released, the new Verizon phones will begin shipping with that version pre-installed from that date forward, or would there be a lag delay in getting the factory shipped phones to include that latest webOS version?

Depending on how many phones are already assembled and shipped out to stores nationwide for today's initial sales and how quickly the inventory is replaced as the first units sell off, there could still be a heck of a lot of phones in transit or in the back room shelves at the Verizon stores with the 1.3.5.1 version when 1.4.x is available for over air upgrades.

I have to wait until the end of March to take advantage of my New Every Two discount from Verizon. Makes sense if it means getting the phone for just $50. But I would think the "new in box" units should definitely have the 1.4.x version by that time. Yes?
    It's just a few minute process to update the OS once it's out of the box. It could ship with 1.1 and it wouldn't matter much.

Everyone complaining about updates needs to look back at older devices, and for that matter other current ones, to really appreciate the pace with which Palm has been pushing out updates recently. I went 3 years with no substantial updates on my Treos. Windows Mobile folks get incremental updates with very little changed. Same for iPhone users. Blackberry OS hasn't changed substantially in years.

My N800 was only updated for about a year before it hit EOL.

I can't speak for Android, but updates for those devices appear to be halting and sporadic at best.

Something about this latest generation. No patience at all.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    IMO Smartphones are complementary, not yet complete standalone devices. I do the bulk of my input onto my PC because the interface and keyboard are much easier, and use my Pre when I'm not near a computer to schedule meetings. Anything that is requiring multiple dates I think is fine to do on a computer.

I don't think many power users are not also using computers.
    With the job I have, i'm outside all day long, 40+ hours a week. Not everybody works in an office environment.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    I was a long time Palm user. The Treo was the ultimate form factor and they should have kept it and killed Blackberries with the non-touch screen, which is now the neutered Pixi. Sorry Palm but the marketing to sell cuteness in this arena will have limited appeal. Apple already cornered the market on form over function. Truth is I'd rather have a Pixi with a standard sized screen and standard power instead of some neutered sad Pre version.

So I just saw the Pre Plus... hmmm... intriguing. Initially it was a no-brainer upon impact but I have a few reservations, some of which can be addressed and I hope some can answer these questions. They aren't rips on the Plus, just potential limitations that may not even be limitations.

1) 16GB of RAM? What kind of stupid arrogance continues to linger at Palm? Guys, you can't keep dumping incremental crap upgrades. It worked with loyal Treo users. But why would I want to pay $150-250 for a 2 year contract for a phone that has 16GB of internal storage with no microSD? I paid a little more than that for a 32GB iphone. What is a real pain is that you can't just transfer all of your media files to a Pre and be done with your transition. Dudes... 32 GB has been out for almost a YEAR! Do they think we won't spend an extra few dollars if we're going this far? Can't do anything about this... just a frustrated Treo loyalist.

2) Verizon + WiFi = Disaster. This is not an absolute any more but when I was on Verizon there was always something terribly crippled. Perhaps it's a nice surprise to find that this is no longer the case.

3) No GSM - spec appears to be CDMA only, not quad. Not a total disaster, just not preferable. Better keep that other GSM phone handy for traveling although if WiFi is enabled, it could work well.

4) GPS - It says assisted and standalone. In the past, this misleading advertising that Verizon was able to pay off someone at the FTC meant that it was locked but you could pay $10 a month for VZ Navigator. As long as I can use GPS for my apps, including Google Maps or whatever else I wanted, this would suffice.

5) Battery Life - Seems like this one is all over the place. Is it premature to guess what 16GB version will do to battery life? Sometimes the result is draining it.

6) HD-DVD - Is the future of the Palm OS going the same way? Great technology but, in this instance, far too late for anyone to really care? My concern is that Palm waited too long to come out with the new OS and then had the gall to underequip the hardware and, IMHO, make stupid design decisions. I worry that by the end of 2010 we'll see some announcement that Palm is selling its technology, etc. and Colligan and the executive board will give themselves one last megabonus before the company goes belly up... and I will be left holding my hardware.

7) Durability - I didn't see any improvements to the hardware. What I didn't like about the Pre was the question of long term viability of the keyboard, that silly mini-USB on the side of the device and inability to simply dock it like any other device. Add in the inability to get a good case on there such as many standard Berries and the iPhone.

8) Apps - I'll have to look at apps since none of my old Palm apps are likely upgradeable and I haven't bothered to look in the store. For this I'll have to do more research here since it's been a given and not new to the Pre.

I Have a Berry and iPhone and would trade in the latter since Apple is heck bent on locking the device which makes it as useful as a brick to anyone who desires some efficiency and ability to do business. My first impressions of the Pre were "ok" but screen a tad too small and hardware a bit too cheap/skimped to make me really excited. I hope the Plus is an improvement on the first try and not just a new name for 8 GB of RAM. I am looking forward to your comments.
    first off, I think you are confusing RAM and internal storage. You kinda go back and forth b/w arguing for both. The pre plus has 16gb internal storage and 512mb of RAM. The original pre has 8gb of storage and 256mb of RAM. I have the original pre and 8gb storage is plenty. More is always better but what do you really need to put on ur phone over 8gb? I have about 450songs, 10 videos, about 40 apps, 50 patches and rigt now I stand at around 4gb used. Most of that is my music. It's not something that needs concern.

the build quality is ok....not as badas it seems from reading all the posts....you will never hear someone come on here to praise that their pre has lasted perrectly fine since launch day, but conversely, every single person that has a problem is gonna write about it on here. It's not perfect, but it's not bad either.

apps are fine. I use my friends iphones all the time...99% of the apps they have, I have available something identical. Only things we don't have are barcode scanners and shazaam. Once we have mic support we will have shazaam.

and it it really is as easy as just putting your media on your phone and then ur done. What else do you need?

you really need to do your homework before posting such a long review of something you have no info about at all. Use the pre for two weeks. You won't own you BB or iphone anymore. You'll see
    Quote Originally Posted by vnmous1 View Post

I couldn't agree more.

bj
    Good one! How many times have you heard this "my Pre is laggy, takes more that a second to open an app, feel like throwing this phone against the wall"
    It's really funny how we have pretty much zero thoughts from actual Verizon Pre+ users yet! Perhaps their batteries died already.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    piaband wrote:

"the build quality is ok....not as badas it seems from reading all the posts....you will never hear someone come on here to praise that their pre has lasted perrectly fine since launch day, but conversely, every single person that has a problem is gonna write about it on here. It's not perfect, but it's not bad either."

Hey, my lauch day Pre has lasted perfectly since launch day! But you are right, most people don't seek out forums to praise their product, only angry people that need to vent.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    It's really funny how we have pretty much zero thoughts from actual Verizon Pre+ users yet! Perhaps their batteries died already.
    Yeah, ur right! I didn't even realize that with us regulars on here.
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    Like one "V" customer had said, the sales person had training but did not know how to use it yet. So I guess between the charging of the phone and the reading of information on how to use it, there has not been enough time for many "V" customers to even think about making a post. We should give it a few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Like one "V" customer had said, the sales person had training but did not know how to use it yet. So I guess between the charging of the phone and the reading of information on how to use it, there has not been enough time for many "V" customers to even think about making a post. We should give it a few days.
    Yeah. Plus it is a weekday, maybe there aren't too many people taking off work or using their lunch hour to pick up a new phone.
    I just hope all of those new Verizon Pre owners realize that their battery life is going to suck for the first day or two while all of their contacts are being downloaded from GMail, Facebook, etc.. Get ready for the wave Battery Life posts!
    Meh, if you've ever owned an iPhone or a Android device...its not too far off that.

But agreed, first day with syncing and what not just sucks your juice.
    Not the battery issues again...uggg. I'll see you all back here in 4 weeks.
    I'm trying to get one now but Best Buy mobile is trying to sell it for 349 1 year contract pricing. I can't agree with that especially with no mail in rebate.
    How about:
    verizon.forums.precentral.net ?
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  16.    #56  
    =sudoer;2176599How about:
    verizon.forums.precentral.net ?
    OR:

everybodybesidesussprintprebetatesters.forums.precentral.net ?

Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    OR:

everybodybesidesussprintprebetatesters.forums.precentral.net ?

Dude, you're really unhappy with your phone, aren't you?
    webOSroundup - App Reviews, News and More
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by willxcore View Post
    Dude, you're really unhappy with your phone, aren't you?
    Actually, that post was a joke, not a complaint. There I go tryin' to make ppl laugh again.
    Just got home from the Verizon store. There were about 15 people in the relatively small store and NOT ONE person looked at the Pre/Pixi. Most just walked up to the counter and asked for the Droid... I was in there about 20 minutes.
  20.    #60  
    Hmm....
    Wondering if 1.4.x with Flash would have made them more interested......
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast