Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    I fall into the category you describe, a 30+ year-old with his own business, and I use my Palm pre as my serious smartphone every single day. What exactly do you see as missing PIM-wise? Because Palm is taking that pretty seriously too. The recent addition of LinkedIn was a really big deal for me. The email client is robust and fast and unlike most other platforms I can be working on several different replies at once without having to save drafts. The calendar, especially after the 1.3.5 update, handles my complicated schedule with ease and is currently synchronizing from five different sources. I have over 800 contacts on my phone, both business and personal, and the global search still brings up my information almost instantly as I am typing.

But, I still enjoy playing Tetris on my lunch breaks!

Is video recording a must-have feature for the serious businessman who needs a serious phone?
    The main PIM feature that was missing when I was about the buy the Pre in June, was the ability to create and maintain repeating tasks. The options to repeat had to be daily, weekly, every work day, yearly, bi-weekly, bi-yearly. Also I needed to catagorized the tasks (ex: work, personal, vacation, etc). The task feature was the reason I did not buy the Pre.

Have this been added to the Pre yet?
    Hey, give the guy a break...he needs video recording...spring break is just around the corner, how can he video tape drunken, topless, college girls with his pre if that doesn't have video????
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeniusBlock View Post
    Hey, give the guy a break...he needs video recording...spring break is just around the corner, how can he video tape drunken, topless, college girls with his pre if that doesn't have video????
    Tell me where I said I need vid record. I never said that in any of my 1000+ posts.
  4.    #24  
    @Tiddlekins:
    I'll respond to you a little bit later. I need some time to write it. (At work now)
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    I think VZ Pre + buyers will be MORE impressed to get an update to 1.4 shortly than were they to get it pre-installed and then have to wait for the next upgrade to WebOS. I was a psych major.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    I can't believe it. That's pretty dumb, imo. It shoulda been 1.4.x
    You only get 1 chance to make a good first impression, and that would've been 1.4.x right off the bat.
    Even after 1.3.5.1 and all its improvements, this is still an incomplete OS.
    I hope it's an "incomplete OS" for a long time to come. I had a "complete" OS on my Treo. "Complete" means it's done, finished, they're not working on it anymore, you won't see updates, new features, etc. When that happens on the Pre, I'm shopping for a new phone. I won't wait 2 years this time either.
    I was a long time Palm user. The Treo was the ultimate form factor and they should have kept it and killed Blackberries with the non-touch screen, which is now the neutered Pixi. Sorry Palm but the marketing to sell cuteness in this arena will have limited appeal. Apple already cornered the market on form over function. Truth is I'd rather have a Pixi with a standard sized screen and standard power instead of some neutered sad Pre version.

So I just saw the Pre Plus... hmmm... intriguing. Initially it was a no-brainer upon impact but I have a few reservations, some of which can be addressed and I hope some can answer these questions. They aren't rips on the Plus, just potential limitations that may not even be limitations.

1) 16GB of RAM? What kind of stupid arrogance continues to linger at Palm? Guys, you can't keep dumping incremental crap upgrades. It worked with loyal Treo users. But why would I want to pay $150-250 for a 2 year contract for a phone that has 16GB of internal storage with no microSD? I paid a little more than that for a 32GB iphone. What is a real pain is that you can't just transfer all of your media files to a Pre and be done with your transition. Dudes... 32 GB has been out for almost a YEAR! Do they think we won't spend an extra few dollars if we're going this far? Can't do anything about this... just a frustrated Treo loyalist.

2) Verizon + WiFi = Disaster. This is not an absolute any more but when I was on Verizon there was always something terribly crippled. Perhaps it's a nice surprise to find that this is no longer the case.

3) No GSM - spec appears to be CDMA only, not quad. Not a total disaster, just not preferable. Better keep that other GSM phone handy for traveling although if WiFi is enabled, it could work well.

4) GPS - It says assisted and standalone. In the past, this misleading advertising that Verizon was able to pay off someone at the FTC meant that it was locked but you could pay $10 a month for VZ Navigator. As long as I can use GPS for my apps, including Google Maps or whatever else I wanted, this would suffice.

5) Battery Life - Seems like this one is all over the place. Is it premature to guess what 16GB version will do to battery life? Sometimes the result is draining it.

6) HD-DVD - Is the future of the Palm OS going the same way? Great technology but, in this instance, far too late for anyone to really care? My concern is that Palm waited too long to come out with the new OS and then had the gall to underequip the hardware and, IMHO, make stupid design decisions. I worry that by the end of 2010 we'll see some announcement that Palm is selling its technology, etc. and Colligan and the executive board will give themselves one last megabonus before the company goes belly up... and I will be left holding my hardware.

7) Durability - I didn't see any improvements to the hardware. What I didn't like about the Pre was the question of long term viability of the keyboard, that silly mini-USB on the side of the device and inability to simply dock it like any other device. Add in the inability to get a good case on there such as many standard Berries and the iPhone.

8) Apps - I'll have to look at apps since none of my old Palm apps are likely upgradeable and I haven't bothered to look in the store. For this I'll have to do more research here since it's been a given and not new to the Pre.

I Have a Berry and iPhone and would trade in the latter since Apple is heck bent on locking the device which makes it as useful as a brick to anyone who desires some efficiency and ability to do business. My first impressions of the Pre were "ok" but screen a tad too small and hardware a bit too cheap/skimped to make me really excited. I hope the Plus is an improvement on the first try and not just a new name for 8 GB of RAM. I am looking forward to your comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty BK View Post
    I think VZ Pre + buyers will be MORE impressed to get an update to 1.4 shortly than were they to get it pre-installed and then have to wait for the next upgrade to WebOS. I was a psych major.
    Verizon Users - You heard it here first: Blame a psych major for not getting 1.4 and flash with your new phone!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    The main PIM feature that was missing when I was about the buy the Pre in June, was the ability to create and maintain repeating tasks. The options to repeat had to be daily, weekly, every work day, yearly, bi-weekly, bi-yearly. Also I needed to catagorized the tasks (ex: work, personal, vacation, etc). The task feature was the reason I did not buy the Pre.

If you want repeating Tasks from the Task app, then unfortunately, as far as I know, it doesn't work that way. What you CAN do, however, is creating repeating events in the Calendar app. I've created repeating events in a number of different customized time intervals. They will remind you whenever you decide, and you can set them for specific times. In Tasks, you can only set a date, not time of day. All in all the Tasks app is pretty weak, but the Calendar app more than makes up for it. You can create different categories for tasks if you want though. Right from the main screen you have individual folders for your tasks, and then inside you have your list of tasks based on the category.
    webOSroundup - App Reviews, News and More
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    I don't disagree with you but 1.4.x obviously isn't ready yet. Better to go with 1.3.5.1 than a buggy 1.4.x.
    Is it safe to assume that once webOS 1.4.x is released, the new Verizon phones will begin shipping with that version pre-installed from that date forward, or would there be a lag delay in getting the factory shipped phones to include that latest webOS version?

Depending on how many phones are already assembled and shipped out to stores nationwide for today's initial sales and how quickly the inventory is replaced as the first units sell off, there could still be a heck of a lot of phones in transit or in the back room shelves at the Verizon stores with the 1.3.5.1 version when 1.4.x is available for over air upgrades.

I have to wait until the end of March to take advantage of my New Every Two discount from Verizon. Makes sense if it means getting the phone for just $50. But I would think the "new in box" units should definitely have the 1.4.x version by that time. Yes?
    Palm IIIc --> m515 --> Tungsten T3 --> Centro --> Pre Plus --> HP Touchpad!!!

Tommy'sWorld | Rusty's Ramblings | No Coincidences | Words Of Wisdom . . . | Get Paid

Not directly on the Pre. Some folks don't like this recommendation, but I'm giving it anyway;

Why not just use Google Calendar? The repeating events will show up on the Pre, and you have the added ability to access the calendar from any internect connected browser.
    The repeating frequency on GC are:
    • Daily
    • Every weekday (Mon-Fri)
    • Every Mon., Wed., and Fri.
    • Every Tues., and Thurs.
    • Weekly
    • Monthly
    • Yearly

No categories, but you would enter the categories you listed as seperate calendars, and the Pre would pull them all down (with different color coding for each, if you chose).
    hparsons, That's exactly what I do. It helps that I'm around a computer for most of the day. If I was only mobile on the Pre it might be a pain. (Hopefully they'll have better options by the time they have WebOS netbooks!)
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty BK View Post
    True.
    When I got my Pre and they released their first OTA update, I was slightly impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    1) 16GB of RAM? Not everyone requires a huge amount of hard drive space. The more the better, yes, but I personally do just fine with 8GB on my Pre. 16GB would be better but it isn't a requirement. Double the amount of hard drive space is only available on the most expensive iPhone right now. And not everyone wants to carry around an SD card for extra storage, in my opinion it's a sloppy way to use a phone, with removable parts (SD cards) to carry around

2) Verizon + WiFi I wouldn't know you'd have to ask a Verizon customer, but I assume WIFi is no longer an issue if they're enabling an app that will filter your signal to five other devices.

3) No GSM - The Pre has been rumored to arrive on AT&T sometime this year, GSM is most likely on the way, don't worry.

4) GPS - You can use the GPS in your phone for whatever you want, apps, Google Maps, etc. You only have to pay extra for the VZ Navigator app.

5) Battery Life - So you're saying you want MORE hard drive space, but then say all it will do is drain battery faster? Battery life is not great on any smartphone, simple.

6) HD-DVD - The difference in your analogy between webOS and HD DVD is that while HD DVD was nice, Blu-ray was much better, and there can be room for only one real victor in that category. But we aren't talking about home theater setup, we're talking about mobile platforms. Blackberries, Androids, Windows Mobile, iPhone and webOS all exist together. One is always going to be on top, right now iPhone, but other platforms can exist. webOS currently supports features that no other OS does right now, gestures, multiple apps that are easily manageable, etc. And plus they just partnered with EA and other game companies who are only partnered with Apple otherwise. No other platforms have these intensive games. If EA took a chance on Palm I'd say that's at least a pretty safe bet.

7) Durability - Blackberries and the iPhone have no moving parts, cases are a little tougher when you have moving parts, but I know plenty of people with Droids that have nice cases on their phones. I personally think a case takes away from the aesthetic design of the Pre so I don't use one, and am careful not to drop it. As for docks, the Pre has the ability to charge wirelessly on the Touchstone, no other phone can do that unless you put an ugly Powermat case around it. The slider and keyboard have both been improved since the original release and we will most likely have another hardware version in 6 or so months. The Pre is not the end all, be all of webOS devices. Just like the iPhone 2G only lasted one year.

8) Apps - Old PalmOS apps are compatible using the "Classic" app, for better or worse. But like I said previously, EA Mobile and other game developers have partnered with Palm to create high quality 3D games that only the iPhone does as well. As for other apps, Palm has great incentive programs for devs to want to create. Project Ares, Hot Apps, etc. I have a bunch of great apps on my phone right now and we're getting more every day.
    My responses are located within the quote.
    webOSroundup - App Reviews, News and More
    I can't believe it. That's pretty dumb, imo. It shoulda been 1.4.x
    You only get 1 chance to make a good first impression, and that would've been 1.4.x right off the bat.
    Even after 1.3.5.1 and all its improvements, this is still an incomplete OS.
    I don't disagree with you 100% -- I can actually see it from your perspective, but the alternate view is there's also some value in demonstrating Palm's committment to rapid WebOS enhancement and the ease of Palm's OTA update process!!! If 1.4 stays on schedule, all of this will happen in the next 2-4 weeks and should be fairly impressive aspect of the "new" palm for its recently acquired verizon customers - who remember back to their Treo Update debacles by USB.

Not to mention, all the fun of numerous 'WebOS update bricked my phone" threads started by Verizon folks who forget to remove patches and themes before the 1.4 update!!! jk of course.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    hparsons, That's exactly what I do. It helps that I'm around a computer for most of the day. If I was only mobile on the Pre it might be a pain. (Hopefully they'll have better options by the time they have WebOS netbooks!)
    Yeah umm, we don't buy smartphones to be tied to the PC. It defeats the purpose.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    It has been less than three weeks since Palm delivered the ability to play some incredible 3D games along with huge performance improvements and battery life enhancements. To suggest that they aren't making updates a priority is totally insane--as is suggesting that 1.3.5.1 represents an "incomplete OS."

You really need to get it under control

I couldn't agree more.

bj
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Not directly on the Pre. Some folks don't like this recommendation, but I'm giving it anyway;

Why not just use Google Calendar? The repeating events will show up on the Pre, and you have the added ability to access the calendar from any internect connected browser.
    The repeating frequency on GC are:
    • Daily
    • Every weekday (Mon-Fri)
    • Every Mon., Wed., and Fri.
    • Every Tues., and Thurs.
    • Weekly
    • Monthly
    • Yearly

No categories, but you would enter the categories you listed as seperate calendars, and the Pre would pull them all down (with different color coding for each, if you chose).
    Thanks hparsons and Willxcore for the info, but this is not what I want. Is the 3rd party app, Remember The Milk available for the Pre?
    Thanks hparsons and Willxcore for the info, but this is not what I want. Is the 3rd party app, Remember The Milk available for the Pre?
    Download Here:
    http://precentral.net/homebrew-apps/rtm (CowTasks)
    Yeah umm, we don't buy smartphones to be tied to the PC. It defeats the purpose.
    IMO Smartphones are complementary, not yet complete standalone devices. I do the bulk of my input onto my PC because the interface and keyboard are much easier, and use my Pre when I'm not near a computer to schedule meetings. Anything that is requiring multiple dates I think is fine to do on a computer.

I don't think many power users are not also using computers.
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast