Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsedated View Post
    ... Part of the problem is also that Palm shouldn't be selling a phone that requires all sorts of user tinkering to make significantly better.
    Saying what Palm "should" or "shouldn't" do sounds a little weird to me. They are a company that was trying to remain alive and have been playing better than Curt Schilling and his bloody sock. My guess is you will see slow initialization of pure WebOS applications until perhaps WebOS 2.0. PDK programs will have faster initialization. If you don't how Palm is playing the cards they have been dealt, cash in your chips and move on!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Anyone have Verizon Palm Pre yet? I want to ask you about the build quality of the product compared to sprint version. Especially the Display layer... Sprint display have lots of bad feedback especially about screen discoloration & dead pixel.

Mine Sprint version have quite bad discoloration on left side from up side to down side. and several dead pixel... around 6 dead pixel.
    Dead pixels are something you can spot by inspecting your device at the store before activation and running the interactive hardware tests. The only screen discoloration issue I've ever seen on a Pre is where the rightmost two (of five) screen backlight LEDs near the bottom of the display area are slightly brighter than the other three. You can easily see this on s light blue screen background. My launch-day Sprint Pre has had this problem since day1. I kept the phone just to prove it would not be a problem. (If it was, I would be the first in line to exchange it.) I can assure you this is only cosmetic and only noticeable on one or two colors. With the Palm Treo's there used to be a problem where sometimes you would get an orangish-yellow "Chicken Pox" on the screen. This was due to leaving your phone in high moisture areas (like the bathroom when taking hot showers) on a regular basis. I've read what looked like some similar complaints on the Pre (but not having seen these, I can't be sure whether it was the same thing as on the Treos or not).

The bottom line is if you run the phone through the interactive screen tests and don't abuse it after you own it, you will not have to worry about screen display problems on either Sprint or Verizon.
    so discoloration not fatal? or can't be more bad after several time usage?

honestly.. I quite annoyed with yellowing color at left side when I read white background website... it really looks bad. so I hope verizon version would be better.
    Had the iPhone since the first release followed by iPhone 3G, then iPhone 3GS. Switched to Sprint and got the Pre. Had a bad experience with Sprint, switched to Verizon and got the Droid and then traded that in for the Pre Plus. The Pre Plus, in my opinion, is better than all the devices listed above. I love Web OS!
    The Plus is faster than Sprint's Pre, comes with the touchstone back cover, and doesn't seem to have the wobble on the slider.
    I will be enjoying my Plus for a long long time!
    Unfortunately I've read this complaint in numerous magazines from reviewers about it taking 5 seconds or so for apps to open. Part of the problem is also that Palm shouldn't be selling a phone that requires all sorts of user tinkering to make significantly better. We are a fraction of the market here and most wont invest the time. They just want it to work.
    I think you misunderstood my statement about speed. It was in reference to the calendar taking time to scroll for JEMellon66, not about how long it took to run an application.

Anyone that is making the generalization that it takes "5 seconds or so for apps to open" is exaggerating. Do you own a Pre? Does yours take that long to open? Mine doesn't.

My view isn't that Palm is selling a phone that "requires" all sorts of tinkering to make it significantly better, my view is that they're selling a phone that allows all sorts of tinkering that makes it significantly better. There are hundreds of thousands of users that have done no "tinkering", and are satisifed with the Pre.

Besides, applying HomeBrew apps is hardly "tinkering".
    Quote Originally Posted by littleeq View Post
    Hello, I bought my pre plus on thursday 01/27, and it has randomly shut off 2 times, where I had to remove the battery to get it to turn back on again. Have any other pre plus owners had this problem? debating if i should go back in to get a replacement or not. Thanks!
    I picked up my Pre Plus last Thursday evening. Friday morning it crashed for no apparent reason. It had a hard time restarting. Then it crashed again. By the sixth time I gave up, trying, and waited till after work to call Palm support. They had me reinstall webOS (palm.com/rom) and then run the Quick Tests under Device Info. Then the phone crashed twice again for no apparent reason.

I returned to Verizon promptly, who replaced it immediately. If I had it to do over again I would have taken it straight to Verizon instead of calling Palm since I was fairly sure it was hardware anyway.

When you do return it, they require you to bring back the whole box and the UPC code - so don't send in the rebate right away or it "messes everything up".

Other than that, I LOVE THIS PHONE! After the tepid reviews out of Sprint I wasn't sure I was going to get one when Verizon carried it, but the re-release is fantastic: much faster, slicker and more solid. I haven't noticed any squeeky hardware that I've seen some Sprint users complain about.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    so discoloration not fatal? or can't be more bad after several time usage?

honestly.. I quite annoyed with yellowing color at left side when I read white background website... it really looks bad. so I hope verizon version would be better.
    Holy smokes! Now that I went to look at my screen discoloration, it's completely gone. I'm going to have to ask the really smart female repair person at the Brookline, MA Sprint repair center. She likely knows a fix and has quietly applied it without telling me! (Otherwise, I'm wondering if this is a possible miracle!) The uneven LED discoloration that was originally on my launch day Pre is now COMPLETELY GONE !!! (On my Pre, I could notice it by browsing to the PreCentral Mobile website on the phone. It was clearly visible on the light gray and light blue backgrounds on that page. Yes, it looked a little more white (or yellow, when you consider yellow like the absence of blue). Bard, I'm not sure if you and I are seeing the same thing. It sounds very similar. I'm now really curious if this fixed itself or if that repair tech has more tricks up her sleeve than I know about!
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Anyone that is making the generalization that it takes "5 seconds or so for apps to open" is exaggerating. Do you own a Pre? Does yours take that long to open? Mine doesn't.

My view isn't that Palm is selling a phone that "requires" all sorts of tinkering to make it significantly better, my view is that they're selling a phone that allows all sorts of tinkering that makes it significantly better. There are hundreds of thousands of users that have done no "tinkering", and are satisifed with the Pre.

Besides, applying HomeBrew apps is hardly "tinkering".
    Anything not in the stores or out of the box is "tinkering." You have to remember that the iPhone's success is that many newcomers are people who gradually get into apps. Out of the box it's quick and solves most of their "problems" like contacts, dates, email, web browsing, music and video. Done.

Regarding the slowness, sometimes it's there. 5 seconds - probably too long> I think he said up to 5 seconds and that was a comment in relation to using it with multitasking.
    Danger Will Robinson ... potential troll alert ... (former iPhone user discussing what the Palm Pre meed to be)
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    Danger Will Robinson ... potential troll alert ... (former iPhone user discussing what the Palm Pre meed to be)
    So funny. Anything to do with the "i" world makes other Palm owners go bananas. Any reasonable discussion that might include criticism is remedied by yelling "troll!!!!!" until they can stamp away all the bad thoughts.

Here's another dirty word. Blackberry. The Storm 1 was plagued by it on Verizon. The demo models in stores needed updates and were slow using old versions. People bought them and returned them not knowing how to do all these things. All they wanted to do was plug and play. Since there is a limited time before you can return your phone, there is a limited incentive to really learn about all the little things. They just want to know that out of the box you can add applications and it will be a good, reliable phone with goodies to buy.

So yeah, I think that the Palm Pre and WebOS is really cool but you and I represent a small fraction of the population. I despise Apple and hope the Pre would kick it back from where it came. But rather than pat Palm on the back while they screw up, I'd sooner say what I think makes good sense and have fellow owners rip these idiots in the ivory tower a new one before they ruin the fun for all of us. Yeah, they have to make it "out of the box" working without preware, postware, underware to get a lot of basic things to work as is expected by many users. The linux crowd loves packages.
    In May of last year we moved and I was no longer able to use my Sidekick II (data only plan) since the only service out at our new place was Verizon. Since Verizon didn't have a phone that interested me at the time. I got a cheap phone (old LG env) and used that. I had heard about the Palm Pre and wanted it, but when it launched it was Sprint only.

Fast forward to the 25th when I picked up my Pre Plus. I am very happy with the phone and was thrilled when the Pre picked up my old sidekick contact list (which I had not entered into the LG).

I did have a bad battery day when I left Google Maps on while traveling, but other than that the battery has been easy enough to deal with.

I have been super busy, so I have not been able to play with the phone as much as I would like. I will report more when I have more time on the phone.

I will explore the forum before I post any of my main questions in case there are answers to them already there.

However there is one question I do want to ask. I have a problem with the keyboard double clicking or even triple clicking keys. Is this just me or is my keyboard having issues? I didn't have this problem with the Sidekick or the LG (but both keyboards are landscape).

LL
    Anything not in the stores or out of the box is "tinkering." You have to remember that the iPhone's success is that many newcomers are people who gradually get into apps. Out of the box it's quick and solves most of their "problems" like contacts, dates, email, web browsing, music and video. Done.

Regarding the slowness, sometimes it's there. 5 seconds - probably too long> I think he said up to 5 seconds and that was a comment in relation to using it with multitasking.
    So then, every phone involves "tinkering"? That's a pretty broad definition. I have never seen a phone that had the numbers I needed already on the phone, or available in the store.

Silliness aside, HomeBrew is no different than installilng other programs like those purchased (or free) that were available for the Treo, or software that someone installs on their computer.

These are not just phones, they do much more. Opening it up to those capabilities was a plus for the Pre (no pun intended), not a defect.
    And he's from Massachusetts (formerly Kennedy Country, now converted to Brown Country) as well.

Ya'll needs to be cleanin' that place up more
    So funny. Anything to do with the "i" world makes other Palm owners go bananas. Any reasonable discussion that might include criticism is remedied by yelling "troll!!!!!" until they can stamp away all the bad thoughts.
    I had a suspicion you could handle a bit of "good-natured fun" from me. Glad to see you took my comment more as a "welcome" than deserved abuse (which it is not). I looked at a few of your posts to be sure you could handle me before hitting the submit button.
    Here's another dirty word. Blackberry. The Storm 1 was plagued by it on Verizon. The demo models in stores needed updates and were slow using old versions. People bought them and returned them not knowing how to do all these things. All they wanted to do was plug and play. Since there is a limited time before you can return your phone, there is a limited incentive to really learn about all the little things. They just want to know that out of the box you can add applications and it will be a good, reliable phone with goodies to buy.
    Interesting observation. It's really cool that we are getting some cross-pollination of people coming to the Pre from various phones. Each segment brings a different set of behaviors and expectations. I'm a long-time Palm bigot (not actually a bigot, but it's the right word to use here). I've watched them succeed twice and fail at least 3 or 4 times (each failure more spectacular than the preceding one). The mere fact that they've risen from the dust and are executing on a plan that makes them a player again, is enough for me (and most of us long time Palm hopefuls). Most groups have a tendency to dismiss what outsiders think (usually to their own detriment). I'd say your expectations are definitely what Palm needs to do on their next smartphones. More so for entry level and consumer phones. Less so for a high-end "Preo" (if that's the next device) but if they could make a "free" WebOS "iPhone" (screen only with virtual keyboard), users will be just like you say and just want things to work in such a phone. Thanks for helping me to see this.

So yeah, I think that the Palm Pre and WebOS is really cool but you and I represent a small fraction of the population. I despise Apple and hope the Pre would kick it back from where it came.
    I sensed this from your posts, that made my "iPhone troll" comment bite you all the harder!
    But rather than pat Palm on the back while they screw up, I'd sooner say what I think makes good sense and have fellow owners rip these idiots in the ivory tower a new one before they ruin the fun for all of us.
    I've done this in the past too (especially in the post Treo 650 days). I posted that they needed to sell a treo 700p as a low cost entry phone. The "centro" was the result (but likely not conceived based solely on my suggestion). We all leaned on them pretty hard when they were failing with their new OS while also worse and worse phones. I had hope they'd see a need to change, then the iPhone hit the market. Thank God for the iPhone. It was the signal that Palm really needed that they needed to change their tack even more. Luckily the Palm investors recruited Ruby and he nixed a lot of the bad management, ill-conceived, and "too aggressive" projects that Palm was doing. Palm always had first-rate engineers in the trenches. Ruby seems to have brought the needed organization and cohesiveness that Palm needed to succeed. This combination produced a phone that is hacker and innovator friendly, which in the end give Palm much more punch than they could do on their own. They haven't rested. As we here started breathing down their cyber-necks about the need for native applications, they surprised us by announcing the PDK (along with everything else we thought remotely possible in the current timeframe) at CES. They've released a pretty rough WebOS last June. I saw internal problems like poor email/file management and underly-agressive memory management in WebOS 1.0/1.1. They slowly and surely have been fixing each needed thing "just in the nick of time". I expect we will continue to see more of this. Palm is clearly a Phoenix rising out of the ashes. As I read between the tea leaves, I see their future as bright, well planned, and well executed.

I see WebOS 2.0 as the timeframe when some maybe the JavaScript equivalent of a Java "Just in Time" (more execution optimized) interpreter will be released. While I just guess about their future (and do so in a very rough and uninformed way), they've addressed each upcoming problem very well in successive releases. I have confidence that WebOS 2.0 will reduce the delays in program initialization. I'm not sure exactly what they will do, but I'm sure at this point they know the plan. We'll also see further tweaks in WebOS 1.x between now and then.

Yeah, they have to make it "out of the box" working without preware, postware, underware to get a lot of basic things to work as is expected by many users. The linux crowd loves packages.
    Yeah, back to your view here. I'm pretty sure Palm would love to roll all the device customizability that Preware gives us into an easily configurable package that customers could tweak to their hearts content. The problem is that the carriers will be worried about support costs, so I think Palm will take the "best hits of Preware" and package them into upcoming WebOS releases. There will always be a place for Preware for those who really want customizability. Your comments about this "out of the box" experience is something I hope we will see more and more of in the next two WebOS point releases. A great out of the box experience on an AT&T GSM Pre (plus easily ported applications) will be key for converting iPhone users to WebOS. Don't expect massive defections until WebOS 2.0 and hardware that matches whatever Apple does. Regarding Blackberry, they seem to me to be the new dinosaur that will take Palm's old place.

Hopefully my rambling has stirred up some more ideas in that brain or yours. Glad to have you looking at Palm, and looking forward to insights but restrained criticism until Palm give you a reason to do otherwise!
    Quote Originally Posted by lauralitz View Post
    ... I will explore the forum before I post any of my main questions in case there are answers to them already there.
    We're liking you already!
    Quote Originally Posted by lauralitz View Post
    However there is one question I do want to ask. I have a problem with the keyboard double clicking or even triple clicking keys. Is this just me or is my keyboard having issues? I didn't have this problem with the Sidekick or the LG (but both keyboards are landscape).
    I've never heard of that on Sprint but I recall some mention of the problem (I believe I heard mention of it in this weeks PalmCast podcast (scroll down on the main page to find that). There's probably a thread somewhere discussing it within the past two weeks.

Welcome to the Pre and PreCentral!
    I had a suspicion you could handle a bit of "good-natured fun" from me. Glad to see you took my comment more as a "welcome" than deserved abuse (which it is not). I looked at a few of your posts to be sure you could handle me before hitting the submit button.
    Sorry guy, has more to do with a general observation about behavior here, not directed to you specifically. I DO think it's funny that this is kind of the mindset here. The blackberry forums are more tolerant of the "i" word generally.

The mere fact that they've risen from the dust and are executing on a plan that makes them a player again, is enough for me (and most of us long time Palm hopefuls)....They slowly and surely have been fixing each needed thing "just in the nick of time". I expect we will continue to see more of this. Palm is clearly a Phoenix rising out of the ashes. As I read between the tea leaves, I see their future as bright, well planned, and well executed.
    I snipped some of the great comments, truly. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Interesting to hear your perspective on growth and planning.

This part troubles me. I know how you feel with the sudden rise of Palm from the fading PalmOS to WebOS, which is exciting for those of us that are here and enjoyed Palm's innovations over the years. But there is an unfortunate reality. Palm dropped to 15% market share less than 2 years ago and are now hovering around 2-3% despite the huge growth spurt on Sprint when the Pre was released - but that died much too quickly.

At Palm's current loss rate, they will run out of cash in 2011. I can't imagine that the dismal sales campaign on the Verizon network is winning many customers. With Apple and Google releasing over a dozen new smartphones that significantly best the Pre Plus (and beat it even when released contemporaneously last year), I'm concerned that Palm will disappear from view almost entirely. They better have something ready come April and it better be available on more than one carrier. And if I'm a developer, why do I want to invest in WebOS? I was surprised originally that the devs of my favorite PalmOS apps all moved to the iPhone and Android (some BB) but almost none had WebOS offerings or seemed to have any plan stated to do so. I think the bounty/contest was foolish. They should have spread 1 million out amongst more developers to ensure that those wading in the pool had some reasonable return on investment, rather than betting it all on win or lose everything.

A great out of the box experience on an AT&T GSM Pre (plus easily ported applications) will be key for converting iPhone users to WebOS. Don't expect massive defections until WebOS 2.0 and hardware that matches whatever Apple does. Regarding Blackberry, they seem to me to be the new dinosaur that will take Palm's old place.
    Great comments. But Blackberry has one huge advantage over Palm. Businesses still desire control over the use of phones. Blackberries do exactly what they need to do - great contacts, calendar, email and already integrated into corporate IT systems. Palm has no foothold and lost any corporate penetration it had earlier.

Honestly, I don't know what Palm's plan is. This year they have to make a phone more appealing to the average consumer than the iPhone and Android - a VERY tall order. I don't see the phone targeting the corporate market, especially with the priority to deliver iTunes compatibility. Adding Windows Mobile 7 and Blackberry to the mix, where does that leave us in Palm land? Perhaps Palm originally thought that Synergy would be the magic appealing to everyone with a Facebook and LinkedIn account but has now found that apps for the iPhone and Android are better than it's own support for more than contacts.

I'm not sure what the plan is. I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts. I love the capabilities of WebOS, dislike Apple's arrogance and closed system, am a bit apprehensive of the Google machine that will assimilate our planet.
    I'm starting to see your business perspective. I'll share my insights a bit more. Feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt.

This part troubles me. I know how you feel with the sudden rise of Palm from the fading PalmOS to WebOS, which is exciting for those of us that are here and enjoyed Palm's innovations over the years. But there is an unfortunate reality. Palm dropped to 15% market share less than 2 years ago and are now hovering around 2-3% despite the huge growth spurt on Sprint when the Pre was released - but that died much too quickly.
    I suspect you are misreading some of what Palm needs to do in order to succeed. The Sprint Pre was never designed to be a home run, and Verizon's purchase committments seem to be realistically scaled around the same numbers as what Sprint likely sold (maybe a bit higher than Sprint, but not much). Verizon's goal is likely 1) not to loose customers by not offering the Pre, 2) market to a segment that their other phones do not appeal to (women), and 3) market to a less technical mainstream group of people who won't be tweaking and homebrewing their phones (again women). I'm not degrading women here. There are many women who have fun hacking WebOS, but Verizon likely wants a market segment that buys the phone but is too busy to heavily tweak it. My guess is they and palm want to gain some data about the the support costs in a mainstream customer segment (as the early-adopter support costs on hacked phones is probably higher and not scalable). As I hinted before, armed with this data, they can find a high-volume ODM to produce a low-priced WebOS phone for the mainstream and which they could offer for close to free with contract and then really clean house against Apple. I'm not sure their next phone will be this one. I think they might sell one more higher-end device to early adopters, and then combine what they've learned to produce the mass market phone. The good news about the mass market phone is that it does not have to compete with whatever Apple has at the same time. They can sell this to mainstream users as "what the iPhone used to be, only free". Their goal will be to make WebOS a platform and drive future growth and company value that way.

At Palm's current loss rate, they will run out of cash in 2011. I can't imagine that the dismal sales campaign on the Verizon network is winning many customers.
    If hey can maintain their burn with a high-end device for highly technical and business users, this will get them over the hump into the profitability segment.

With Apple and Google releasing over a dozen new smartphones that significantly best the Pre Plus (and beat it even when released contemporaneously last year), I'm concerned that Palm will disappear from view almost entirely. They better have something ready come April and it better be available on more than one carrier.
    Perhaps I'm not following where the rest of the smartphone segment is going. Android sales so far seem to have been heavily driven by advertising and I'm not seeing people who leave the Pre for Android liking the switch. The main advantage Android has at the moment (pun not intended) is more apps. That's closing fast and Android devices aren't being seen being "as upgradable" as WebOS. I think Palm has a much better position going forward than you are giving them credit for. The investor market often does not perceive what the real risks are and often give established players too much credit. It's still a horse race with Palm being a dark horse but one with a better pedigree than most people realize.

And if I'm a developer, why do I want to invest in WebOS? I was surprised originally that the devs of my favorite PalmOS apps all moved to the iPhone and Android (some BB) but almost none had WebOS offerings or seemed to have any plan stated to do so.
    First of all, WebOS does not appeal to the traditional developers. I'm pretty sure you will see a lot more of the traditional model with the PDK which will be released this spring. It is already being used in the 3D games like Need for Speed and one game supplier is porting all their apps at a feverish pace as we speak. You need to follow this success as a predictor of Pam's re-emergence as a hardware/software platform on WebOS. If you see apps being easily ported, Apple looses it's advantage and Palm leap-frogs ahead of Android into second place.

I think the bounty/contest was foolish. They should have spread 1 million out amongst more developers to ensure that those wading in the pool had some reasonable return on investment, rather than betting it all on win or lose everything.
    So you are definitely business and not R&D or a marketing person. $1M is not that big a chunk of change, and if it drives some Darwinism among applications, it will be money well spent. The PDK API might have been a better place for such spend/Darwinism, but it's really still to early to throw money at that side of the platform. They need to have a few key PDK API users flesh things out and learn the lessons that make that API the right thing to later throw money at.

Great comments. But Blackberry has one huge advantage over Palm. Businesses still desire control over the use of phones. Blackberries do exactly what they need to do - great contacts, calendar, email and already integrated into corporate IT systems. Palm has no foothold and lost any corporate penetration it had earlier.
    I've read in these forums that Palm users can get on Exchange with zero problems. I suspect you are letting the status of past giants cloud your vision of where the industry is headed. Yes Blackberry has a good cult following, but they aren't Apple. I won't rule them out, but I don't see them as anywhere near as relevant as they were a few years ago. Again, I see them as taking Palm's old position.

Honestly, I don't know what Palm's plan is. This year they have to make a phone more appealing to the average consumer than the iPhone and Android - a VERY tall order.
    A free phone that does what the iPhone does now will do exactly that. Palm will sell higher end devices with hardware keyboards and maybe even move into Blackberry territory with some trackball devices. (I wouldn't expect Palm to expand into Blackberry territory until they are solidly in second or third place.) You have to remember that you don't see Palm trying to put out feelers to be purchased right now. That's likely because they and their investors see their future value. I'm probably too bullish, but I think you are definitely way too bearish on Palm.

I don't see the phone targeting the corporate market, especially with the priority to deliver iTunes compatibility. Adding Windows Mobile 7 and Blackberry to the mix, where does that leave us in Palm land? Perhaps Palm originally thought that Synergy would be the magic appealing to everyone with a Facebook and LinkedIn account but has now found that apps for the iPhone and Android are better than it's own support for more than contacts.
    iTunes compatibility was simply a way to allow an easy upgrade path to lure whoever they could away from iPhones. They've moved past that now. I think WM7 and Blackberry keep the "high end" market for the time being. Maybe Palm does not pursue this territory at the present time. If that's the case, then I'd say that the "free old iPhone killer" is the next phone and a big surprise from Palm. That move would alienate a lot of the current WebOS crowd who are hoping for a "Pre 2", but it might be the gamble needed if Palm's burn is where you think it is.

I'm not sure what the plan is. I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts. I love the capabilities of WebOS, dislike Apple's arrogance and closed system, am a bit apprehensive of the Google machine that will assimilate our planet.
    Ha! Oftentimes I feel the same way about Google! Apple will clearly survive. I'd love to hear what others think about where Palm is headed. (I tend to think quite differently than the rest of the lemmings.) Hopefully they will chime in with some more informed strategic possibilities.
    Last edited by sudoer; 02/06/2010 at 07:52 PM.
    Unfortunately I've read this complaint in numerous magazines from reviewers about it taking 5 seconds or so for apps to open. Part of the problem is also that Palm shouldn't be selling a phone that requires all sorts of user tinkering to make significantly better. We are a fraction of the market here and most wont invest the time. They just want it to work.
    After much research, several calls to tech support at VZW, Palm, and Companion Link, I have discovered the cause of the calendar problem I have complained about on several forums. The problem was caused by recurring events I had scheduled in my Outlook calendar over the years. Specifically, I had developed the practice of entering birthdays, anniversaries, etc as untimed events on my calendar so they would show up at the top of the scheduled date. I would set them as annually recurring events, with no end date. Apparently when I synced my data with Google it caused those events to duplicate. That, as well as the fact that they didn't have an end-date caused some sort of conflict that resulted in an extreme slow-down when viewing the calendar on the Pre.

Once I figured out the problem -- and kudos to Eric at Companion Link's tech support for his help -- I had to clean out my Outlook, purge my Google calendar, and re-sync everything. This really was a hassle, taking several hours. Since this though the calendar app works beautifully. There is no lag worth mentioning when changing from one day to another, or changing the view from day to week to month.

Lesson to be learned: clean up your data before migrating from one PIM to another.
    Here are some thoughts from a long time Palm user. I picked up my Pre Plus on January 25. I spent quite a bit of time looking at the options for a smart phone on Verizon. My 700p had seen better days and it could not be connected to our server. I really wanted a device with real time update of PIM information. Also, I have been with VZW for a long time and I love and hate them. With 5 lines and varying renewal dates, I won't be leaving them soon. I have also found over the years that they have the best coverage for the places that I need to go.

I liked the Droid, but it does not run the full set of ActiveSync protocols and I could not put it on our system at work. I don't understand how Google, Motorola and Verizon could let that slip. It must have been an intentional decision and they don't care if the business guys can use the phone on a locked down business network. I couldn't bring myself to use a WM device. I have been a Palm user since 1998 and I knew from reading the reviews that I probably would not be happy with a WM phone. I had a BB for several years in another job and it just felt too corporate for me.

In the few weeks I have had the Pre, I have enjoyed it more and liked it better than I expected I would. I use my cell phone as my primary business phone. During the work day, it sits on the TS charger and I use my BT headset. The multitasking is awesome and allows me to switch easily between programs. I also enjoy streaming music from Slacker or Pandora. The integration with Outlook has been flawless. The ability to pull data from Google, LinkedIn, and Facebook has also been great. I don't miss the categories for appointments and calendars, but someone who relies on categories will be disappointed. I have never liked Outlook's task management and have relied on Franklin Covey's Plan Plus.

The App catalog has been fun, but there is still a lot of room for developers to bring some of the old Palm OS apps to webOS. I hope that there will be enough webOS users to provide incentive for the developer community. Preware has been a life saver. The patches especially have enhanced the phone.

I haven't brought myself to pay for VZ Navigator yet, but I may buy it until Google Nav or a similar app is released for VZW (assuming VZW will allow it on the phone). Google Maps is an OK substitute and works great in the car, but it isn't intended to replace a GPS.

I don't use my phone as a music device. All my music is ripped in Apple lossless format. So, the music player isn't that big for me. I do have several podcasts that I follow and Dr Podder has been great to stay current with those when I am traveling.

The only disappointment for me has been the poor battery life. It is a good thing that I don't need to use a phone all day without access to a charger throughout the day. I would probably be looking into the extended battery or a different phone. But, since I can leave it on the TS during the day and also have it on a charger in the car, the battery life has not kept me from using the phone as much as I want. A heavy gamer or music listener may have a different experience and I would welcome hearing from others on how to get the most from the battery.

This is long and rambling, but responds to the initial question. I am a long time Palm user who is happy with my new Palm device. I was initially disappointed when Palm walked away from the old OS (and the programs that I have loved and used for years). But, I see a lot of potential in webOS and in this phone. It is really more of a small computer than a phone and I look forward to seeing how the platform and the app base develops.