Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duhcity View Post
    I am extremely annoyed.
    I am a high school student in NYC, where cell phones are not allowed in school. Everyone has them anyway, especially since people like me commute about an hour to actually get to school

Cue to my math class. Phone is on silent (the top part widget thing was shifted). The alarm goes off VERY loudly. Phone is taken away by teacher.

I will be Pre-less and phoneless until next wednesday.
    There is a setting to override the ringer switch with the alarm. Looks like you had it set to the "on."

Sorry.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I am extremely annoyed.
    I am a high school student in NYC, where cell phones are not allowed in school. Everyone has them anyway, especially since people like me commute about an hour to actually get to school

Cue to my math class. Phone is on silent (the top part widget thing was shifted). The alarm goes off VERY loudly. Phone is taken away by teacher.

Are you serious? You're blaming Palm? Take some responsibility for your own boneheaded mistake.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    I am extremely annoyed.

I have to ask... why did you have your alarm set to go off during class?
  4.    #304  
    I am extremely annoyed.

When i lived in nyc, everybody left their phones in the bodega.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I have to ask... why did you have your alarm set to go off during class?
    I've had alarms go off randomly that I had forgotten I had set previously. Like an alarm set for "Wednesdays" the previous week.

Usually it's something I have to take care of on a certain day at a certain time and the Tasks app won't let you set a time, just a date.

Need a way to marry the two...
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I am extremely annoyed.

Sounds like theft of personal property to me. I would call the cops on the school for 1) theft of personal property, and 2) forcefully and deliberately removing your access to a service you paid for. Are they going to reimburse you for those days since your paying for the service, but can't use it because they have stolen your phone from you?
    Originally Posted by Northstar_69 View Post
    OH yeah I forgot to mention it would have been nice, that when you recieve a phone call, that instead of just giving you the option of answering by sliding up the green phone icon, they shoud have given you the option of ignoring the call also to send it to V-Mail immidiatly, like when you have your phone active(Not on locked screen) it gives you both options, green phone to answer or red phone icon to ignore call and send to V-mail.
    Briefly tap the power button- goes immediately to voicemail. How someone is to know that is beyond me- but it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by whippingboy View Post
    Briefly tap the power button- goes immediately to voicemail. How someone is to know that is beyond me- but it works.
    It's in the instructions, but I think he wants a touch button on the screen.

But, there's no touch button to keep you from accidentally sending a call to voicemail when you reach in your pocket for your phone.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    The browser will run in the background even if you lock your screen. If you want it to stop running you have to close it.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    the browser won't really drain the battery unless it's stuck trying to load a page. I leave my browser open all the time. It's not normal for the browser to suck battery.
    The page I had open was fully loaded before I locked the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
    Another possibility - brand new phone, therefore still populating data (i.e. - Contacts from GMail, Facebook, etc.) The first day or two, while it's still populating data can really kill the battery. Also, was the battery fully charged? If it was fresh out of the box with a short charge, then of course it died!
    None of the four email accounts I linked with my Pre had any contacts to synchronize (my contacts are stored in my desktop's email client). The battery was fully charged when I left my house.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laze View Post
    Are you serious? You're blaming Palm? Take some responsibility for your own boneheaded mistake.
    I don't see him blaming anyone.
    I see an allusion to the system and it's cruel, cruel ways though.

And to the person who asked if he will be getting reimbursed, they make you and your parents sign a contract that allows the seizure of electronics in school.
    (Just FYI if you weren't being sarcastic)
    Last edited by grynv; 02/02/2010 at 08:05 PM.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laze View Post
    I wasn't blaming Palm at all. The post was meant to be cruelly hilarious.
    Which it was, going from slight depression to the fact that I would probably be the only person to ever have my new phone taken away on the first day.

If you had read my earlier post about 4 or 5 posts above it, you would know that I love my new Pre. Much more than my old Storm.

Though yes, I should have known this would happen. Blackberry's do the same thing, alarms overriding vibrate or silent function. It was more forgetting than unfamiliarity with the phone.

And yes, the system sucks. But many schools in the area require your parents to come to the school, while mine returns phones on a weekly basis. It's all about the mayor's idea that cell phones promote "gang violence". I know.

(PS+ the alarm went off because I did not have school all last week or monday and my alarm was set for a time that was in school, which I forgot)

Again, not blaming Palm. I fully recognize it was my fault. Just thought you'd guys get a kick out of the story
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    I've had alarms go off randomly that I had forgotten I had set previously. Like an alarm set for "Wednesdays" the previous week.

Usually it's something I have to take care of on a certain day at a certain time and the Tasks app won't let you set a time, just a date.

Need a way to marry the two...
    No need to marry them, if you having something to take care of on a certain day at a certain time, don't set it to repeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by echto View Post
    Sounds like theft of personal property to me. I would call the cops on the school for 1) theft of personal property, and 2) forcefully and deliberately removing your access to a service you paid for. Are they going to reimburse you for those days since your paying for the service, but can't use it because they have stolen your phone from you?
    He broke the rules on their property, he should face the consequences.

Face it folks, if an organization has rules, and you don't like them, don't participate. If you decide to particpate and break the rules, don't cry about the consequences.

Edit - and it does sound like the OP is accepting his "punishment". Good one on ya.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Hello, I bought my pre plus on thursday 01/27, and it has randomly shut off 2 times, where I had to remove the battery to get it to turn back on again. Have any other pre plus owners had this problem? debating if i should go back in to get a replacement or not. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by littleeq View Post
    Hello, I bought my pre plus on thursday 01/27, and it has randomly shut off 2 times, where I had to remove the battery to get it to turn back on again. Have any other pre plus owners had this problem? debating if i should go back in to get a replacement or not. Thanks!
    Get it replaced it wont hurt any, I would if their wasn't some solution to the random shut off. Look it up and if there isn't go get a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by echto View Post
    They will laugh in your face. You obviously don't come from NYC.

Considering that the rules didn't allow use in the school, the rules are the rules and they are known.

This is also a good reason, IMHO, not to buy my child any phone that's too expensive and modern. A simpler PDA will work just fine.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I wasn't blaming Palm at all. The post was meant to be cruelly hilarious.
    Which it was, going from slight depression to the fact that I would probably be the only person to ever have my new phone taken away on the first day.

If you had read my earlier post about 4 or 5 posts above it, you would know that I love my new Pre. Much more than my old Storm.

Though yes, I should have known this would happen. Blackberry's do the same thing, alarms overriding vibrate or silent function. It was more forgetting than unfamiliarity with the phone.

And yes, the system sucks. But many schools in the area require your parents to come to the school, while mine returns phones on a weekly basis. It's all about the mayor's idea that cell phones promote "gang violence". I know.

(PS+ the alarm went off because I did not have school all last week or monday and my alarm was set for a time that was in school, which I forgot)

Again, not blaming Palm. I fully recognize it was my fault. Just thought you'd guys get a kick out of the story
    I apologise, I was having a bad day.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    Not directly on the Pre. Some folks don't like this recommendation, but I'm giving it anyway;

Why not just use Google Calendar? The repeating events will show up on the Pre, and you have the added ability to access the calendar from any internect connected browser.
    The repeating frequency on GC are:
    • Daily
    • Every weekday (Mon-Fri)
    • Every Mon., Wed., and Fri.
    • Every Tues., and Thurs.
    • Weekly
    • Monthly
    • Yearly

No categories, but you would enter the categories you listed as seperate calendars, and the Pre would pull them all down (with different color coding for each, if you chose).

I am getting used to Google calendar - Outlook user at work - there's a bit of adjustment as I'm coming from a Centro that synced w/my Outlook. I am currently using Companion Link to sync my Outlook and Google contacts and calendar both ways. This is working well. What isn't working well is the calendar on the Pre. It takes forever to navigate to different dates and set appointments. When I flip from today view, to even just a couple of days ahead it takes 15-20 seconds everytime for the events on that day to load. It's embarrassing when it takes 3 minutes or so to look at a couple of different dates to check for conflicts when I'm with someone trying to set an appointment.
    Quote Originally Posted by JEMellon66 View Post
    What isn't working well is the calendar on the Pre. It takes forever to navigate to different dates and set appointments. When I flip from today view, to even just a couple of days ahead it takes 15-20 seconds everytime for the events on that day to load. It's embarrassing when it takes 3 minutes or so to look at a couple of different dates to check for conflicts when I'm with someone trying to set an appointment.
    I'm surprised at the speed issue. Most of those seemed to have been addressed in version 1.3.5.1. My calendar has quite a few entries, and moves pretty quick.

For faster entries, I'd strongly recommend Quick Event. See http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/quick-event
    I'm surprised at the speed issue. Most of those seemed to have been addressed in version 1.3.5.1. My calendar has quite a few entries, and moves pretty quick.

For faster entries, I'd strongly recommend Quick Event. See http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/quick-event
    Unfortunately I've read this complaint in numerous magazines from reviewers about it taking 5 seconds or so for apps to open. Part of the problem is also that Palm shouldn't be selling a phone that requires all sorts of user tinkering to make significantly better. We are a fraction of the market here and most wont invest the time. They just want it to work.