Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kazooless View Post
    I just purchased the Pre Plus for my wife last night. I was a long time user of the Treo line (starting with the Visor Phone), and am currently an iPhone user. (It's for work, I love it but HATE at&t. I would never subject my wife or anyone else to their crappy network or service).

My first impression: Great phone, but why is it SO slow? Man oh man! Even my wife, who is not a techie, noticed right away that to start anything requires waiting a few seconds. The Treo was much more responsive with the 5-way navigation, and my iPhone 3GS is incredibly snappy. So, I'm a bit disappointed because of that.

Kazoo
    It's a bit unfair to compare a phone that can only run one application at a time with one that can have 50+ running, but still, I'm sure that Palm is working on speeding up loading times.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    Sounds like it was on in your pocket the entire time.
    Yes, but when I lock the phone, it should go to sleep/not suck my battery dry. My Motorola Q9c and iPod Touch maintain their charges.
    Last edited by Spinfusor; 01/31/2010 at 07:07 PM.
    t's a bit unfair to compare a phone that can only run one application at a time with one that can have 50+ running
    If the slowness was due to multi-tasking, I'd say that is reasonable. However, I'm talking about a fresh reboot and just running the first app from quick launch. Phone, contacts, SMS, etc. Plus, as I've been using it and customizing it for her, I've made it a point to quit every app I'm in when switching so that it would indeed be more fair.

Anyway, it's not a deal breaker for me. I'm not saying it isn't worth having. In fact, I think it is a very well done OS. I'd love to see a much faster hardware profile and maybe a glass screen instead of plastic, but it's still a really cool phone.

Cheers!

kazoo
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    pre should last a day with light to moderate use. Something went wrong if it only lasted 3hrs.

the lag is cuz it's still a very new os and does a lot. Iphone has been out since 2007 and is a very simple os. I think we just have to live with the lag until pre 2 on a faster processor comes out. But in the meantime, each update does speed up a few apps. Also, keep apps open. Multitasking easily makes up for the lag in starting apps. Just close the battery hoggers.
    Last edited by spare; 01/31/2010 at 07:54 PM.
    The browser will run in the background even if you lock your screen. If you want it to stop running you have to close it.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    the browser won't really drain the battery unless it's stuck trying to load a page. I leave my browser open all the time. It's not normal for the browser to suck battery.
    I've noticed that bluetooth drains the battery proportionally higher than in other phones I have seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinfusor View Post
    I got the Pre Plus on Monday and returned it on Wednesday.

The battery life is horrible. I put the phone in my pocket (with the web browser open) and went to class. When I got out three hours later, the phone was dead. After plugging it in it wouldn't turn on for a while. Also:
    - native apps take too long to open
    - the accelerometer is slow
    - the phone is flimsy

I like the form factor and the interface is nice, but the battery killed it for me.
    Another possibility - brand new phone, therefore still populating data (i.e. - Contacts from GMail, Facebook, etc.) The first day or two, while it's still populating data can really kill the battery. Also, was the battery fully charged? If it was fresh out of the box with a short charge, then of course it died!
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Northstar_69 View Post
    OH yeah I forgot to mention it would have been nice, that when you recieve a phone call, that instead of just giving you the option of answering by sliding up the green phone icon, they shoud have given you the option of ignoring the call also to send it to V-Mail immidiatly, like when you have your phone active(Not on locked screen) it gives you both options, green phone to answer or red phone icon to ignore call and send to V-mail.

Just push the power button twice to send the caller straight to vmail.

I use my right thumb.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Tomorrow will be my one week-iversary with my Verizon Pre Plus after coming off my Treo 700p. I've been with the Palm os since my VisorPhone so I couldn't wait until the
    Pre hit vzn. When I went into the Verizon store (in a major shopping area) at 4 PM on release day the saleswoman told my I was the first in the store to buy one. I bought a Pre for myself and a Pixi for my wife. When I mentioned the lack of vzn advertising, the saleswoman (a former Centro girl) told me vzn carried the Pre/Pixi because Palm had a small but loyal niche customer base that might jump to another carrier if vzn didn't carry Palm products. On the other hand, vzn wasn't expecting to pick up any new Palm owners or draw anyone from other networks to vzn because of Pre/Pixi. So, why bother advertising? The Palm owners would stay and no-one else was going to buy anyway. That was the way she explained it, anyway.

So, my first impressions? On the plus side, I love webos, Synergy, the screen, the app store, and the look/feel of the hardware, and the fact that my mission critical legacy apps run on Classic. On the minus side, the battery life is horrible - much worse than my Treo, the GPS is a mess, and there is apparently a problem with my inductive battery cover. I think the Treo was a much better PIM device: faster, easier to use, more efficient, searchable across the board, but the Pre does so much more. I miss the stylus sometimes. I can't believe I'm saying this but sometimes I miss Blazer. Although the webos browser is pretty and shows everything on the page quickly, there's a lot of scrolling and pinching involved. Still, overall I'm satisfied with the Pre and don't plan to go back. I remember the same kind of growing pains with my 700p. We had to learn to work together. There were times when I felt like tossing it out the window but I kept it for several years and now I will miss it a bit. I think it will be the same with my Pre. On the whole the plusses outweigh the negatives and I expect it to keep getting better as I work the bugs out.

My wife, with her Pixi, now has her very first smart phone and she absolutely loves it. She has an Apple Touch and actually wanted an iPhone but I convinced her to take advantage of vzn's BOGO offer with the Pixi. Now that she's tried a real keyboard her Touch keyboard doesn't seem so OK anymore. I see the Touch sitting alone on the counter a lot these days. Her Pixi actually seems a lot less buggy than my Pre, so I'm jealous. Her GPS works w/o a hitch (even though she doesn't care about GPS services). Works on all 3 Touchstones perfectly. She loves the thing, which is a testament to webos because she usually isn't too patient when learning a new device.

So, final impressions? I'm glad I got my Pre. No regrets. We'll be good friends soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northstar_69 View Post
    OH yeah I forgot to mention it would have been nice, that when you recieve a phone call, that instead of just giving you the option of answering by sliding up the green phone icon, they shoud have given you the option of ignoring the call also to send it to V-Mail immidiatly, like when you have your phone active(Not on locked screen) it gives you both options, green phone to answer or red phone icon to ignore call and send to V-mail.
    It's there. Pressing the power button once silences the ringer. Pressing it a second time sends it to voice mail.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Enjoying my pre plus but had a couple of hiccups. First touchstone went dead in 3 days. Got a replacement from amazon quickly. Pre Plus skins may not fit with Pre. Tried the Best Skin Ever which worked sort of. But the cuts don't quite match up esp microphone hole and then you have a center hole meant for Pre that the Pre Plus doesn't have. Anyway, haven't purchased a real cover yet but my old blackberry cover is ok while carrying phone in bag.
    Does anyone else have strong recommendation for case or skin?
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I really love my new Pre Plus (came from a Blackberry Storm).

I'm finding that I really love the phone as a whole, but it's the small things that annoy me. Things like not being able to download mp3s from emails, the terrible facebook sync mechanism, the terrible facebook app, shoddy but functional gps, the terrible alarm clock system, etc.

Something that I think is pretty funny is that I hate how easy it is to close apps. Yes, I know that sounds weird. Coming from a Blackberry, most things I used could not close completely, or the process to do so required opening a menu and then closing. But then when I had my Blackberry, transferring between apps were fast because I left them open, or they were permanently open. I get somewhat obsessed with seeing my wallpaper and always end up closing all my apps on the pre leaving no cards. That of course means having to wait when I want to read a text, email, or use the internet. It's something I'm going to have to get used to I guess.

Oh and how could I forget. Had I known about the battery life on the Pre, I probably would not have gotten it. I'm a student, and I haven't had it for a day of classes, but I can already tell that my Pre will not be able to make it from 7am to 8pm if I use it as much as I used my Storm
    as others have mentioned..stick it out a week or two

My first week, battery life was HORRIBLE..i mean 3 hours at school, by noon it was dead...

weeks later, its around 80% by 6pm!
    I'm really diggin' this phone. I might be enjoying it too much. haha So far it's cool. I notice the lag in apps that people were talking about but it doesn't bother me. This is my first palm phone.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    It's there. Pressing the power button once silences the ringer. Pressing it a second time sends it to voice mail.
    That isn't intuitive at all. Would an on-screen button hurt?
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by laze View Post
    That isn't intuitive at all. Would an on-screen button hurt?
    Don't know for sure, but I suspect they looked at the phone screen, and decided not to fill it up any more - two more buttons might have fit, but would have sure been crowded.

Intuitive or not, it is what it is, and the power buttone does work. Once you know about it, it's pretty natural.
    Global Posts
    1,344 Global Posts
    So I've been using a Storm 2 and Tour 2 along with the Motorola Droid and the Droid Eris, bouncing back and forth for a while now. I have to say that the Moto Droid took over as my main phone until the Pre Plus dropped. Have been using it the whole week and I love it, my wife isn't huge into phones is head over heels for her Pixi.

With that being said I am excited to see the growth of the Pre and Pixi and hopefully see Palm make a comeback in the smart phone game. So in my desk drawer is where my Storm 2, Tour 2, Moto Droid and Droid Eris lay, and underneath them of course is an iPhone 3GS.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I am extremely annoyed.
    I am a high school student in NYC, where cell phones are not allowed in school. Everyone has them anyway, especially since people like me commute about an hour to actually get to school

Cue to my math class. Phone is on silent (the top part widget thing was shifted). The alarm goes off VERY loudly. Phone is taken away by teacher.

I will be Pre-less and phoneless until next wednesday.
    Quote Originally Posted by duhcity View Post
    I am extremely annoyed.
    I am a high school student in NYC, where cell phones are not allowed in school. Everyone has them anyway, especially since people like me commute about an hour to actually get to school

Cue to my math class. Phone is on silent (the top part widget thing was shifted). The alarm goes off VERY loudly. Phone is taken away by teacher.

I will be Pre-less and phoneless until next wednesday.
    Hello, it's an ALARM!! LOL