Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis-satx View Post
    I also miss having the Contact catagories.

Overall I like the phone and will more than likely keep it.

Can anyone suggest a good App to store my website passwords, etc?
    I use JVault. I like it because it has a PC based app to edit the entries (the PC app is in beta testing, and likely to cost extra).

I would also recommend that you get a Google account, and set up multiple calendars on it. That will give you the capabilities of the Categories that you're used to, along with a bunch of other pluses.
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    Great use of one of your seven posts. I can see that you'll provide a whole lot of great, useful information here! Must feel good to yell shut up at some one sitting at the screen. See ya!
    I'd say it's as useful as "some" I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I use JVault. I like it because it has a PC based app to edit the entries (the PC app is in beta testing, and likely to cost extra).
    Cool. This is what I was trying to find out. But the real question to answer is "how does it sync?" If you know the answer, that would be extremely helpful.
    I forgot to add that I do have the overall Palm Plus password protected which helps on the privacy aspect but is a pain. Ideally I'll hide my personal info in an App and keep the phone unlocked.
    I read the posts from a few months back about the "cloud" crashing and lots of people losing contacts and data.
    Ironically, the crash you heard about on the Pre was not a casee of the "cloud" crashing. It was an over the air backup that crashed. That is not using "the cloud". The backups failed, and those that weren't using the cloud, and didn't have some other form of backup, lost information (that was eventually retrievable).

Those that do use the cloud were totally unaffected, as we weren't counting on information stored on our local device.

The sync function to a PC (or Mac) is what I liked most about the Palm. You could damage or lose your phone and still have everything on the PC. (Much like iTunes and and iPod.) The devices are easy to replace but the data is what you can't put a price on.
    Anyone have thoughts on giving up their private info (calendar, contacts, etc) to Google and/or the "cloud?" I'm having a real problem with that aspect; that's another reason I think it's important to have a sync to PC option.
    The advantage of the cloud is that if you lose that information, it's not only available on your PC, it's available on any PC you have access to.

I'm not concerned about Google having my contact's information. They are a multi-billion $$ company, and are not going to risk their reputation by improperly using contact info. I probably wouldn't want to upload extremely sensitive information, but for contact lists, and my calendar, no one cares that I'm going to a tea party tomorrow.

For those that are really concerned about it, you could always pay for a hosted Exchange account. Believe it or not, I still have my Exchange server running, and was planning on using that for "really important" contacts, and was so impressed with Google that I decided not to bother.
    Cool. This is what I was trying to find out. But the real question to answer is "how does it sync?" If you know the answer, that would be extremely helpful.
    He's working on a new method, but right now, you put the Pre in USB mode, and the app syncs it from the Pre to your computer. You edit it again, and send it back.

He's working on a method to email the an encrypted file that is importable.

The database itself is an encrypted SQLite database.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    There is still alot missing, PIM and customization-wise.
    Most people over 30yrs old with businesses, medical or other serious jobs need a serious smartphone. Not an arcade.
    I'm a someone over 30 with a business and my Palm Pre Plus is my everyday serious smartphone. My e-mail and calendar are paramount and multitasking is a lifesaver on this phone. The ability to switch back and forth quickly and easily make this phone and OS the winner for me. Nothing else out there really has the business functionality except for Blackberry. Oddly enough when I purchased the Storm in 2008 before the Pre was announced I said to my girlfriend that if Blackberry could make a Portrait slider touchscreen I would buy it in a minute. You never realize how much you miss a physical keyboard until you've used one daily and then lose it (Storm). Enter Pre announcement=Love at first sight. Then to see how the operating system worked was even better. Love it!!!
    BINGO! Unfortunately you've got the blind and faithful who will talk about "the cloud" as if it is this magical solution for everything. Wired sync - stupid! Ancient! Get with the times! They obviously haven't read a newspaper in a while or they would have seen a HUGE PDA/phone - cloud based gaffe that would not have caused problems if something we've had for 15 years hadn't been taken away in an effort to be cool and iPhone like. But hey, even the iPhone provides USB backup.
    Ignorance is rearing its ugly head. There were two PDA/phone cloud based gaffe that were recently well noted. The Sidekick issue, which is unreleated to the Pre. The Pre downloads info from the cloud, from multiple sources, and store it locally. The Sidekick stores all of its information on a remote server (that's not cloud computing), and must have it available. It wasn't, so the devices failed.

The Palm issue had Palm Profiles (not Google, Exchange, Facebook, Linkedin, etc) that were backed up to Palms servers. When the backups failed, those users that tried to restored ended up with missing contacts. This too, did not involve cloud computing.

It's ironic that you use these types of examples (assuming those are the examples you had in mind), since in both cases, people that were actually using cloud computing were unaffected.

Did you have some other recent stories in mind?
    ROFLMAO. Do I need to ask a survey of 100 people whether it's easier to press a button on the phone to answer or hold the phone and then open it with one or two hands? Face it. This system works for you but it's not the shortest distance between two points. I've seen the sky in India for an hour. I don't need to take a survey to represent that fact that it's blue during the day time too.
    No, no need for a survey. Hold one in your hand. Measure the distance between your thumb and screen, and the distance between your thumb and the button. You didn't spend your hour well.

LOL. You kill me. I'm not the one who created a long thread about the USB cover being so poorly designed that it broke off or people are ripping them off. In fact, you can read all the reviews in the magazines/ezines yourself. I guess everyone MUST own a Pre to realize how cheap that was designed. More ridiculous logic.
    Did I miss something in your post? I thought you said the USB, not the USB cover.
    Upgraded my Treo 700P for the Verizon Pre Plus and I'm very impressed with Web OS and especially the screen quality on this device. Battery life is the same as my Treo, in other words, I charge it every night. I ordered the Touchstone yesterday to simplify that. I'm very impressed with the integration of services. I have been using the Palm server backup and I do a manual backup each night when I put it on the charger and no problems thus far with any loss of data or my profile. Left my Palm Desktop on the home computer for now in the event I buy a 3rd party synch software. I really feel I made a good choice in this purchase. My wife is thinking about trading her Blackberry Curve.
    Ignorance is rearing its ugly head. There were two PDA/phone cloud based gaffe that were recently well noted. The Sidekick issue, which is unreleated to the Pre. The Pre downloads info from the cloud, from multiple sources, and store it locally. The Sidekick stores all of its information on a remote server (that's not cloud computing), and must have it available. It wasn't, so the devices failed.
    How it happened was not my point. The point is that unexpected stuff happens all the time. If you're charging your phone connected via USB or connecting via WiFi, it would seem inane not to have your own data backed up on your own equipment versus relying 100% on someone else who is remote (and whom you're not paying.) Forget about being compensated - I like having a copy of my data locally so I can just fire it up. Seems logical, no.

No, no need for a survey. Hold one in your hand. Measure the distance between your thumb and screen, and the distance between your thumb and the button. You didn't spend your hour well.
    LOL. My hour was not spent determining whether it was easier to press the button on the front (where one had been) or trying to open the phone each time. Was obvious. I spent the rest checking out how it worked, how typing felt, etc. The Pixi keybaord is much easier to type but the Pre is more than acceptable and far superior to the iPhone. Responsiveness varied. Web browser worked very well on a variety of sites, albeit tapping on the small screen can result in more mistaps than on a slightly larger phone like the iPhone (but not fatal.) Build is definitely better than the prior Pre. Surfing speed a bit slower than the iPhone but certainly usable. New OS very nice to use, lots of clever integrated features.
    ROFLMAO. Do I need to ask a survey of 100 people whether it's easier to press a button on the phone to answer or hold the phone and then open it with one or two hands?
    From the owner's manual:

Notice his thumb position, and where the button would be at this point. You can also get a pretty clear idea of where his thumb was when he started, and where the button was - right about under the base of his thumb.

Screen is closer, and it's one handed.

Of course, that's just mine and the mfg's view. Neither of use checked with the spokesman for "the rest of the world"...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How it happened was not my point. The point is that unexpected stuff happens all the time. If you're charging your phone connected via USB or connecting via WiFi, it would seem inane not to have your own data backed up on your own equipment versus relying 100% on someone else who is remote (and whom you're not paying.) Forget about being compensated - I like having a copy of my data locally so I can just fire it up. Seems logical, no.
    To each their own. Personally, I like a distributed backup myself, but then what do I know, I've only been doing this for a living for about a quarter century.

I back my data up locally, and store it in the cloud. It's very simple. By the way, I can also tell you that coming from a person who had 13 Palm PDA's before the Treo, the backup solution wasn't that hot. I always had to tweak information moving from one device to the next.

LOL. My hour was not spent determining whether it was easier to press the button on the front (where one had been) or trying to open the phone each time.
    Excellent!! So, when you were deriding me you were doing so out of less experience. So, if you spend another 15 minutes or so with it, maybe you'll think yourself an expert, instead of just more knowledgable than actual owners.
    From the owner's manual:

Notice his thumb position, and where the button would be at this point. You can also get a pretty clear idea of where his thumb was when he started, and where the button was - right about under the base of his thumb.

Screen is closer, and it's one handed.

Of course, that's just mine and the mfg's view. Neither of use checked with the spokesman for "the rest of the world"...
    So if the Palm manual said to use your feet, would that make it easier? I know that it works, that is what is in the manual. Nobody is contesting it. I can hear the gears in your brain grinding after scanning that illustration. How about using your thumb to click "answer?" I guess that never occurred to anyone, lol!!!

Why would you open your phone just to answer the call? Why would you run the rails of the keyboard any more times than is absolutely necessary - to make it in to an oreo? To expose a keyboard that you won't use and make the phone a bit more unbalanced than that nice solid form factor? Whatever. It's a choice, it's not fatal, but like many others, I'd prefer buttons, that's all. End it!

Excellent!! So, when you were deriding me you were doing so out of less experience. So, if you spend another 15 minutes or so with it, maybe you'll think yourself an expert, instead of just more knowledgable than actual owners.
    OK - you win! Until someone has slid the screen up and down 10,000 times, someone with eyes and who has done it twice can't see that putting your thumb on the device before you even open it isn't a quicker way to answer a call. Whatever. I don't care to argue this any more. You win!
    Guys, what is happening in here? To answer a call you push the green button that appears on the touchscreen. What is all of this talk of sliding?
    From someone who started out on an IBM 370/135 with keypunch data entry and then was so excited to move to an Altair 8080 with front panel switches that were used to enter hand assembled machine code; the Palm Pre truly seems like a device out of a dream. The form factor, adaptability, and user interface are truly something extraordinary. Does anyone remember the Agenda with the chording keyboard and 2 (?) line display? Yes i had one of those as well and every Palm, from the Pilot to the Treo 650, which as of today now rests quietly in my top desk drawer. In my opinion the user interface got stuck with the 650. I also had a Verizon Moto Q9C with Windows Mobile that was no better, just different and way to cluttered. The Webos interface is smooth, consistent, and i believe, hope really, that it will find its way to my desktop, literally, in the near future. This is one old dinosaur who can hardly believe what has been placed in his hands. I am still smiling from ear to ear. Oh, and I want a voice recorder and voice recognition soon by the way. Any body out there listening?

Best, JM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    Guys, what is happening in here? To answer a call you push the green button that appears on the touchscreen. What is all of this talk of sliding?
    I mentioned that I thought the removal of a good hardware button on the Pre wasn't such a great idea. It's nice to have a dedicated call answer button or action button, especially in cold, etc. Then we got a response that I had no clue because it's easier to open up the phone and expose the keyboard to answer the call. Now he's proven to us that it is the easiest way to simply answer a call. Whatever. I'm outta here. I agree with you.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I go the Pre Plus at Best buy which was clueless. No ads, nothing. The models were out but no banners, boards, etc. The sales peope knew something about the Pre but I think I knew more. I had to wait for them to confirm that monday was the release date for verizon pre plus. They were pretty bad about setting up my transfer from Verizon BB to Pre Plus. I had to undo the wrong plans they set up.
    The Pre Plus has a good build. Slider is perfect. (so far) The rough edges have been smoothed out on the plus although the bottom lip still is a bit hard. I have been on precentral > 1 yr so I knew a lot about webos. (I have a treo 755 backup phone on sprint, and am a veteran of several Palm PDAs) I'm still so impressed by the interface and OS. Tiny lag when launching some cards like email but no deal breakers. I use outlook exchange at work so calendar is fine. Syncing is great so far and as good as BB with BES at work. (and I don't deal with my company IT) Oh, touchstone went bad after 2 days and I just got replacement from amazon. I'm trying on a protective skin now.(A case seems too confining for the Pre except when thrown in my bag)
    Great experience so far. Haven't delved into patches, tweaks, home brew apps.. yet. Battery life is fine. I was 75% after 12 hour day. I don't use wifi much.
    What do I need now? Optimization of speed, some key med apps (I'm a practicing physician) like epocrates, sanford guide maybe. I have my memos (many medical facts I've built up in 10 years of palm pda) on Evernote. If I get the med apps, I'm sure I can "convert" some other doctors/nurses to webos.
    Looking around in my hospital, Iphone really is killing the competition. BB is losing ground and mindshare. I have seen a few droids so far. (android has very few medical apps also) But I'm ok with being in a passionate minority of webos users.
    Quote Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
    What do I need now? Optimization of speed, some key med apps (I'm a practicing physician) like epocrates, sanford guide maybe. I have my memos (many medical facts I've built up in 10 years of palm pda) on Evernote. If I get the med apps, I'm sure I can "convert" some other doctors/nurses to webos.
    Looking around in my hospital, Iphone really is killing the competition. BB is losing ground and mindshare. I have seen a few droids so far. (android has very few medical apps also) But I'm ok with being in a passionate minority of webos users.
    Great 3rd post! It nice to see doctors who think for themselves! I haven't used evernote but I'm considering just using it for some personal journaling. Maybe you can post about what the transition to using it on WebOS is like for you.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    You can. However, even he wasn't advocating that. His point was that his 1 hour expertise on the device says that pressing the button would have been a better option.

My point to him (and the same point from a few other users) wa that sliding it open to talk is easier than pressing the button, or pressing the green button. It kinda goes back a few ridiculous messages where he didn't like the notion that some of us prefer talking on the Pre with the slider open.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcintosh View Post
    From someone who started out on an IBM 370/135 with keypunch data entry and then was so excited to move to an Altair 8080 with front panel switches that were used to enter hand assembled machine code; the Palm Pre truly seems like a device out of a dream. The form factor, adaptability, and user interface are truly something extraordinary. Does anyone remember the Agenda with the chording keyboard and 2 (?) line display? Yes i had one of those as well and every Palm, from the Pilot to the Treo 650, which as of today now rests quietly in my top desk drawer. In my opinion the user interface got stuck with the 650. I also had a Verizon Moto Q9C with Windows Mobile that was no better, just different and way to cluttered. The Webos interface is smooth, consistent, and i believe, hope really, that it will find its way to my desktop, literally, in the near future. This is one old dinosaur who can hardly believe what has been placed in his hands. I am still smiling from ear to ear. Oh, and I want a voice recorder and voice recognition soon by the way. Any body out there listening?

Best, JM
    Sorry J, but with that name, you're restricted on what companies you're permitted to buy phones from, and Palm ain't it