Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Summer22 View Post
    Can you tell me where to post to get help with my calendar problem? I need to search it.
    If you use Google Calendar, try the Google Calendar Search app, not sure if it is homebrew or app catalog (might be both) but it is a simple solution to that problem. Another nice calendar app is Agenda, which provides the missing agenda view for the calendar. That one is homebrew.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I wanted the palm pre before the droid was announced, but at the time it was the best phone on big red. After all, the pre on verizon was just a rumor. After the switch all I can say is the palm pre plus is the most functuonal, intuitive phone i've ever owned. Sure I wish it had a wxga screen, but the mutitasking and overall usefullness it trumps the droid anyday. I'm just looking forward to 1.4, that update will complete the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Meh, the only real tangible difference we know of thus far in 1.4 would be video recording.
    And FLASH PLAYER 10.1. That's huge. Much more significant than video recording.
    I had been waiting for months to get the pre on Verizon. Finally I have it and I absolutely love it. It syncs with my exchange server flawlessly and the synergy thing is really cool.

A few downsides: The sliding mechanism felt solid at first but it still has some give. The keyboard is improved and fine but I have big fingers so they do get a little cramped trying to type the top row buttons. There is a little bit of lag when opening programs but it is only 1 - 2 seconds and I cannot complain. The multi-tasking is amazing and the network has been perfect so far. Streaming videos have never lagged and the web browser is the best I have ever seen.

This phone is AWESOME!!!!!! I was very worried that because I have been waiting so long for it to come out on Verizon that I would build up too much hype and be disappointed. Although it needs improvements I think it is the best phone out there and for me a better choice than the droid or iphone (mainly because of the keyboard and synergy). I have got zero work done in the past 4 days because I have been playing with it all day.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I really want to love this phone as I tried one on Sprint and loved it but stuck with Verizon. However, my first one had a bubble under the screen in the top left corner and now my second is very loose when the slider is open. Both were (are) nice and tight closed but this new one moves when open when I touch the screen or gesture area. It is very noticeable (it clicks) but I don't remember the first one doing this. Does anyone else have movement when it is open?
    I just found the Eris to be too limiting for me. Terrible battery life, depsite having to babysit it constantly. I never really knew if I had all the apps turned off or not. No voice dialing either (which so far, the Pre doesn't have). I also didnt care for the form factor...too large really for my pocket.

I despise having to wear a belt phone holder. The Pre fits in my pocket better. Stuff seems to just work nicer. I will be looking forward to a voice dialer in the near future.

So far so good. I bought my wife a Pixi too. We're going to test them the whole 30 days to make sure they are what we need.
    "If you decide to go with the Pre, learn how to spot possible defects so that when you buy the phone, you get one without some manufacturing defects. Palm's manufacturing process still seems to allow defects to continue through production and be found at the end (at least in my opinion). By the time you are ready to buy, we'll have a better idea of initial quality for the Pre Plus. If you start with a good phone, you will be happy."

How do you spot possible defects when checking out a phone? Thank you!!!
    FWIW, Palm contracts out the manufacturing of the Pre to Taiwan based Chi Mei Communication Systems, a subsidary of Foxconn Technology Group who manufactures the iPhone. The Treo Pro was made by High Tech Computer (HTC).
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    FWIW, Palm contracts out the manufacturing of the Pre to Taiwan based Chi Mei Communication Systems, a subsidary of Foxconn Technology Group who manufactures the iPhone. The Treo Pro was made by High Tech Computer (HTC).
    Wow, interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    I was a long time Palm user. The Treo was the ultimate form factor and they should have kept it and killed Blackberries with the non-touch screen, which is now the neutered Pixi. Sorry Palm but the marketing to sell cuteness in this arena will have limited appeal. Apple already cornered the market on form over function. Truth is I'd rather have a Pixi with a standard sized screen and standard power instead of some neutered sad Pre version.

So I just saw the Pre Plus... hmmm... intriguing. Initially it was a no-brainer upon impact but I have a few reservations, some of which can be addressed and I hope some can answer these questions. They aren't rips on the Plus, just potential limitations that may not even be limitations.

1) 16GB of RAM? What kind of stupid arrogance continues to linger at Palm? Guys, you can't keep dumping incremental crap upgrades. It worked with loyal Treo users. But why would I want to pay $150-250 for a 2 year contract for a phone that has 16GB of internal storage with no microSD? I paid a little more than that for a 32GB iphone. What is a real pain is that you can't just transfer all of your media files to a Pre and be done with your transition. Dudes... 32 GB has been out for almost a YEAR! Do they think we won't spend an extra few dollars if we're going this far? Can't do anything about this... just a frustrated Treo loyalist.

2) Verizon + WiFi = Disaster. This is not an absolute any more but when I was on Verizon there was always something terribly crippled. Perhaps it's a nice surprise to find that this is no longer the case.

3) No GSM - spec appears to be CDMA only, not quad. Not a total disaster, just not preferable. Better keep that other GSM phone handy for traveling although if WiFi is enabled, it could work well.

4) GPS - It says assisted and standalone. In the past, this misleading advertising that Verizon was able to pay off someone at the FTC meant that it was locked but you could pay $10 a month for VZ Navigator. As long as I can use GPS for my apps, including Google Maps or whatever else I wanted, this would suffice.

5) Battery Life - Seems like this one is all over the place. Is it premature to guess what 16GB version will do to battery life? Sometimes the result is draining it.

6) HD-DVD - Is the future of the Palm OS going the same way? Great technology but, in this instance, far too late for anyone to really care? My concern is that Palm waited too long to come out with the new OS and then had the gall to underequip the hardware and, IMHO, make stupid design decisions. I worry that by the end of 2010 we'll see some announcement that Palm is selling its technology, etc. and Colligan and the executive board will give themselves one last megabonus before the company goes belly up... and I will be left holding my hardware.

7) Durability - I didn't see any improvements to the hardware. What I didn't like about the Pre was the question of long term viability of the keyboard, that silly mini-USB on the side of the device and inability to simply dock it like any other device. Add in the inability to get a good case on there such as many standard Berries and the iPhone.

8) Apps - I'll have to look at apps since none of my old Palm apps are likely upgradeable and I haven't bothered to look in the store. For this I'll have to do more research here since it's been a given and not new to the Pre.

I Have a Berry and iPhone and would trade in the latter since Apple is heck bent on locking the device which makes it as useful as a brick to anyone who desires some efficiency and ability to do business. My first impressions of the Pre were "ok" but screen a tad too small and hardware a bit too cheap/skimped to make me really excited. I hope the Plus is an improvement on the first try and not just a new name for 8 GB of RAM. I am looking forward to your comments.

well, get a new phone... And shut up. (or who knows, make your own "perfect" phone, and YOU use it.)
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Thanks,

I did a bit of Googling because I was curious who makes what (ie: the pixi, pixp plus, and pre plus). Apparently the Sprint Pixi ODM and Verizon Pixi Plus ODM were both Compal Communications.

Now my question is: Why have we seen so many quality issues on the Pre and hardly any reported on the Pixi? Is it the design of the phone, or the "quality" of the ODM, or both? I haven't seen any continued mention of Chi Mei Communication Systems (CMMS) after the initial mentions when the original/Sprint Pre's were manufactured. According to this article, both Compal Communications and Hong Hai have obtained/received smartphone OEM orders from Palm. Since CMMS is no longer mentioned, does this hint that the Pre Plus might be manufactured by another company (possibly Hong Hai if Compal is doing the Pixi)?

I guess the question currently on hand is whether build quality of the Pre Plus has improved over that of the Pre.

Looking towards future devices, I'm guessing there won't be any press regarding who will be manufacturing the Pre2/C40/whatever. I will likely wait a bit after the next device comes out before purchasing so that I can see whether Palm continues with the poor build quality or not.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesboss2 View Post
    If you decide to go with the Pre, learn how to spot possible defects so that when you buy the phone, you get one without some manufacturing defects. Palm's manufacturing process still seems to allow defects to continue through production and be found at the end (at least in my opinion). By the time you are ready to buy, we'll have a better idea of initial quality for the Pre Plus. If you start with a good phone, you will be happy.
    How do you spot possible defects when checking out a phone? Thank you!!!
    First, let me back off a bit - Maybe the initial build quality of the Pre Plus is better than what we saw on the Pre. Only time will tell, but you can do the steps in the next paragraph if you want/need to be sure.

On any Pre, first look for dead pixels, and make sure all the keys/buttons are working. There is a "device info" button on the rightmost launcher page that has a "preferences" menu (in upper-left) that has some options to do all of these tests. While checking for dead pixels, also make sure that the screen is evenly lit. Then check that the slider is solid and that opening and closing it does not cause the phone to loose power or reset. Make sure that wifi works and then that the phone works once it has been provisioned. Make a call using the normal handset mode, then the speakerphone, then the headset. (Usually call quality is not an issue, but some people had mentioned that some of these modes had not worked/switched. I think you could do this part at home.) If you buy a touchstone, you'll want to be sure it works properly and charges your Pre. If you have a long drive, it might be best to do all the checks before you leave the store.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I'm a new Precentral user so go easy on me. I have owned a Palm device for over 10 year with my last one being a Palm Treo 700p. I did not have the data package on it but it was/is the perfect marriage of a Palm and a phone. When I saw the new Pre with Sprint I was very excited; almost jumped ship from Verizon to get one but didn't. I followed the rumors and was excited when I purchased my Palm Plus with Verizon on Wednesday.
    Positives:
    Form factor is great and I am enjoying learning the new WebOS system. I look forward to working with the Homebrew Apps to fully tweek this phone into what I want it to be.
    Negatives: (at least for me)
    I don't like that it doesn't sync to my PC. (I did buy Echo and that is working well.)
    I have several MEMOS that were hidden behind a password on my Treo that I used for keeping things like website usernames/passwords, etc. Those memos now show up along with everyother memo on my Pre Plus. Echo said there isn't a way to make them private or hide them.
    I also miss having the Contact catagories.

Overall I like the phone and will more than likely keep it.

Can anyone suggest a good App to store my website passwords, etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by eXPerience333 View Post
    well, get a new phone... And shut up. (or who knows, make your own "perfect" phone, and YOU use it.)
    Great use of one of your seven posts. I can see that you'll provide a whole lot of great, useful information here! Must feel good to yell shut up at some one sitting at the screen. See ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis-satx View Post
    Negatives: (at least for me)
    I don't like that it doesn't sync to my PC. (I did buy Echo and that is working well.)
    I have several MEMOS that were hidden behind a password on my Treo that I used for keeping things like website usernames/passwords, etc. Those memos now show up along with everyother memo on my Pre Plus. Echo said there isn't a way to make them private or hide them.
    I also miss having the Contact catagories.

Overall I like the phone and will more than likely keep it.

Can anyone suggest a good App to store my website passwords, etc?
    Don't even suggest the fact that sync to a PC is a good idea. You'll be ripped a new hole. The words here "in the cloud" will be repeated ad nauseum as if it is the solution for everything.

Funniest thing is that I mentioned the same as you regarding passwords, financial numbers, etc. all the things I just asked about and was told "we don't need it... we've got Google!"

I'm trying to figure that out, what apps may be available to store those things we need stored, backed up and/or entered/edited on your home/office computers, etc. At the moment, I'm not sure if, assuming the apps existed, how they would be backed up at all. There is a long thread I started which asked the question and I'm going to inquire with some Palm developers as to what the API does now and what Palm's thinking might be with regard to storage and sync of third party applications.

Welcome to the party and enjoy your new Pre!
    I forgot to add that I do have the overall Palm Plus password protected which helps on the privacy aspect but is a pain. Ideally I'll hide my personal info in an App and keep the phone unlocked.
    I read the posts from a few months back about the "cloud" crashing and lots of people losing contacts and data.
    The sync function to a PC (or Mac) is what I liked most about the Palm. You could damage or lose your phone and still have everything on the PC. (Much like iTunes and and iPod.) The devices are easy to replace but the data is what you can't put a price on.
    Anyone have thoughts on giving up their private info (calendar, contacts, etc) to Google and/or the "cloud?" I'm having a real problem with that aspect; that's another reason I think it's important to have a sync to PC option.
    I've used the Pre for about an hour and I don't need to own a Pre to state the obvious. I'm not saying that this system doesn't work for you but for the rest of the world who also doesn't want to work the keyboard rail life any more than necessary, it's faster and easier to press the button.
    Except it's not quite so obvious. I've been using mine this way since I got it, and it works fine. Not only that, that is the way the instructions say to open the device.

Besides, when did you, who have used the device for a whole hour, become the spokesperson for "the rest of the world"?

Seriously.
    You're deluding yourself, working so hard. The Treos were much easier to type for the same reason the Pixi is and for an additional reason: (a) there is no slider side that you have to maneuver around to press side keys, (b) the keys are raised, not in a sinkhole area like in the Pre, (c) the Treos keys are bigger.
    Or, maybe, just maybe, I know a little more about it than you do with your hour's experience.

So, no you not only are the spokesman for the "rest of the world", but you know what works better for me as well?

(BTW, the threads are full of people that quickly adapted the Pre's keyboard, but they probably used it more than an hour...)

I'll post more but I came here thinking it was going to be a piece of cake to trade in my iPhone for the Pre but just wanted to make sure the obvious was possible...
    What a joke. You complain about the "hassle" of changing the battery, how much "hassle" is it on the iPhone. Don't want to "mess" with the USB (which is easy), get a TS for the car.

Seriously, you're looking for excuses. You don't want to compare, you want to complain.

You should keep your iPhone, it suits you.
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis-satx View Post
    I forgot to add that I do have the overall Palm Plus password protected which helps on the privacy aspect but is a pain. Ideally I'll hide my personal info in an App and keep the phone unlocked.
    I read the posts from a few months back about the "cloud" crashing and lots of people losing contacts and data.
    The sync function to a PC (or Mac) is what I liked most about the Palm. You could damage or lose your phone and still have everything on the PC. (Much like iTunes and and iPod.) The devices are easy to replace but the data is what you can't put a price on.
    BINGO! Unfortunately you've got the blind and faithful who will talk about "the cloud" as if it is this magical solution for everything. Wired sync - stupid! Ancient! Get with the times! They obviously haven't read a newspaper in a while or they would have seen a HUGE PDA/phone - cloud based gaffe that would not have caused problems if something we've had for 15 years hadn't been taken away in an effort to be cool and iPhone like. But hey, even the iPhone provides USB backup.

Anyone have thoughts on giving up their private info (calendar, contacts, etc) to Google and/or the "cloud?" I'm having a real problem with that aspect; that's another reason I think it's important to have a sync to PC option.
    Don't even suggest it. You'll get ripped a new one like I did. Giving all of your data to Google is easy. It's reliable. It's recommended. You have to be an ***** to even think the way you are suggesting or be concerned. You're paranoid... whatever. I'm just giving you fair warning.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Except it's not quite so obvious. I've been using mine this way since I got it, and it works fine. Not only that, that is the way the instructions say to open the device. Besides, when did you, who have used the device for a whole hour, become the spokesperson for "the rest of the world"?
    ROFLMAO. Do I need to ask a survey of 100 people whether it's easier to press a button on the phone to answer or hold the phone and then open it with one or two hands? Face it. This system works for you but it's not the shortest distance between two points. I've seen the sky in India for an hour. I don't need to take a survey to represent that fact that it's blue during the day time too.

What a joke. You complain about the "hassle" of changing the battery, how much "hassle" is it on the iPhone. Don't want to "mess" with the USB (which is easy), get a TS for the car.Seriously, you're looking for excuses. You don't want to compare, you want to complain. You should keep your iPhone, it suits you.
    LOL. You kill me. I'm not the one who created a long thread about the USB cover being so poorly designed that it broke off or people are ripping them off. In fact, you can read all the reviews in the magazines/ezines yourself. I guess everyone MUST own a Pre to realize how cheap that was designed. More ridiculous logic.

See - this is what you can expect from a handful of users. Once there are critical questions asked, some owners take it personally and upset if there are potential flaws. They think you came here solely for the purpose of wasting everyone's time. But for the life of them, they don't want to hear what is said, just deny that a potential problem in their 2 year toy exists.

The Pre is a really neat phone. I like it a lot. Like anything new that I'm about to make an investment in running a large part of my life around, I'll ask the right questions. Glad to have a civil conversation but I don't see the purpose in continuing this line. Back tot he original thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    Now my question is: Why have we seen so many quality issues on the Pre and hardly any reported on the Pixi? Is it the design of the phone, or the "quality" of the ODM, or both?
    I really believe it is the design of the phone. I was in a store the other day and played with the Moto Droid. There was literally 1/4" play at the corner of the phone when it was closed.

The sales lady asked if she could help, and I told her I was just looking at it. As she watched me (probably suspiciously), I finally 'fessed up and said "I've never had a slider before, and wanted to see if it's play is the same as my Pre" (I didn't tell her it was more, wasn't looking for a turf war). She quickly told me her Droid wasn't "played with" as much as the demo, and showed it to me.

Uh-huh, had the same play. That's about twice as much as my Pre has.

I'll also so, both of the Droids, and my Palm Pre were solid and tight when opened. The play only showed up when closed.