Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    @ms960: I didn't have the droid but had the droid eris (liked the form factor and HTC sense). anyway i liked android a lot but the eris was SLOW and the virtual keyboard was frustrating bc of the slowness and i was always having issues with the auto correct. I'm enjoying my pre a lot more than my eris & i gotta say a big reason is this website and the ability to customize via patches, etc. plus the touchstone is really cool and is only like $30 now
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    I fall into the category you describe, a 30+ year-old with his own business, and I use my Palm pre as my serious smartphone every single day. What exactly do you see as missing PIM-wise? Because Palm is taking that pretty seriously too. The recent addition of LinkedIn was a really big deal for me. The email client is robust and fast and unlike most other platforms I can be working on several different replies at once without having to save drafts. The calendar, especially after the 1.3.5 update, handles my complicated schedule with ease and is currently synchronizing from five different sources. I have over 800 contacts on my phone, both business and personal, and the global search still brings up my information almost instantly as I am typing.

But, I still enjoy playing Tetris on my lunch breaks!

Is video recording a must-have feature for the serious businessman who needs a serious phone?
    I have the Pre for a couple of days now. I really like it. But I have a major deal breaker, it could go back. I need to search the calendar. Finder doesn't . Any options, help, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't think you've ever answered directly, so I'll ask again. Do you have one? If not, then you're speaking hypothetically. I have one. It's easier to open by sliding than to press the button. At least for me.
    I've used the Pre for about an hour and I don't need to own a Pre to state the obvious. I'm not saying that this system doesn't work for you but for the rest of the world who also doesn't want to work the keyboard rail life any more than necessary, it's faster and easier to press the button.
    I told her the same thing, which is exactly what I tell others that have problems with the Pre. If it's defective, take it back. My reference was in what you claimed:
    Everything was right with the hardware. Nobody ever complained about the hardware, with the exception of Palm waiting forever to include contemporary numbers.
    Now you're saying numerous others took it back.
    That was a manufacturing defect, NOT a design defect. All of my Treos, save one, worked like a dream. For others they had to trade in two. The Pre Plus apparently isn't much different. Doesn't change the fact that, as designed when manufactured properly, the Treo was and still does set the standard. The Pixi was a STUPID attempt to make the phone even smaller instead of just making it a tad larger, which few would miss, and have awesome standard resolution that ALL aps could load properly. Didn't Palm learn that lesson with Windows Mobile phones that were 240x240? And that's even a better use of the screen than the Pixis abberation which all the Palm devs, the few there are, will have to account for too!!!

Again, I think you're talking theoretically. I don't have any problem typing on the Pre, and don't find they keyboard to be any worse than any of the previous Palm devices I had, and better than some.On the other hand, the keyboard (the keys themselves) are better on the Pixi. I suspect that's the same assembly they used (or close to it) on the Pre Plus. It's good to see them improve.
    You're deluding yourself, working so hard. The Treos were much easier to type for the same reason the Pixi is and for an additional reason: (a) there is no slider side that you have to maneuver around to press side keys, (b) the keys are raised, not in a sinkhole area like in the Pre, (c) the Treos keys are bigger.

And even if they were working on it 2 years ago, it's disingenuous at best to say "it's been years later". No, you don't measure a product by the date they started working on it. It's been out since June. It's that simple.Nope, I don't expect we'll ever have one. Palm has pretty much indicated they don't plan on doing on. My Treo never had one either.
    This made me really giggle. You DO know the difference between the Treo's square screen and the Pre's rectangular screen and their resolution?

Seriously, I think the bottom line here is it appears you don't seem happy with the notion that some folks like the Pre. Too bad.
    Not at all. I WANT to buy a Pre Plus but I'm frustrated that the new Palm screwed up so much of what the old Palm got right. One quick example - my battery life sucks on the iPhone just the same as the Pre - many of them do since the screen sucks battery. But on the iPhone I just plug in a mini battery and it charges the phone full in 30 minutes. On the Pre, the idiots at Palm made the touchstone, yippeee, but when I'm on the road I regularly NEED that USB port. If it isn't easy to get to, it's a daily hassle. Put it on the side... fine... but in that horrific casing... the SECOND time around? Changing the battery is also not so simple either. Besides, when I'm on the road I won't carry a touchstone and need that USB to connect at work. Jeez..

I'll post more but I came here thinking it was going to be a piece of cake to trade in my iPhone for the Pre but just wanted to make sure the obvious was possible...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    I fall into the category you describe, a 30+ year-old with his own business, and I use my Palm pre as my serious smartphone every single day. What exactly do you see as missing PIM-wise? Because Palm is taking that pretty seriously too. The recent addition of LinkedIn was a really big deal for me. The email client is robust and fast and unlike most other platforms I can be working on several different replies at once without having to save drafts. The calendar, especially after the 1.3.5 update, handles my complicated schedule with ease and is currently synchronizing from five different sources. I have over 800 contacts on my phone, both business and personal, and the global search still brings up my information almost instantly as I am typing.

But, I still enjoy playing Tetris on my lunch breaks!

Is video recording a must-have feature for the serious businessman who needs a serious phone?
    My profession is engineering and sales. I have used video recording on my previous phones (Storm, Droid) on construction jobsites.

It has proved to extremely valuable in my line of work, so I look forward to it being enabled in webOS.

Just my $0.02.
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    I've used the Pre for about an hour and I don't need to own a Pre to state the obvious. I'm not saying that this system doesn't work for you but for the rest of the world who also doesn't want to work the keyboard rail life any more than necessary, it's faster and easier to press the button.

That was a manufacturing defect, NOT a design defect. All of my Treos, save one, worked like a dream. For others they had to trade in two. The Pre Plus apparently isn't much different. Doesn't change the fact that, as designed when manufactured properly, the Treo was and still does set the standard. The Pixi was a STUPID attempt to make the phone even smaller instead of just making it a tad larger, which few would miss, and have awesome standard resolution that ALL aps could load properly. Didn't Palm learn that lesson with Windows Mobile phones that were 240x240? And that's even a better use of the screen than the Pixis abberation which all the Palm devs, the few there are, will have to account for too!!!

You're deluding yourself, working so hard. The Treos were much easier to type for the same reason the Pixi is and for an additional reason: (a) there is no slider side that you have to maneuver around to press side keys, (b) the keys are raised, not in a sinkhole area like in the Pre, (c) the Treos keys are bigger.

This made me really giggle. You DO know the difference between the Treo's square screen and the Pre's rectangular screen and their resolution?

Not at all. I WANT to buy a Pre Plus but I'm frustrated that the new Palm screwed up so much of what the old Palm got right. One quick example - my battery life sucks on the iPhone just the same as the Pre - many of them do since the screen sucks battery. But on the iPhone I just plug in a mini battery and it charges the phone full in 30 minutes. On the Pre, the idiots at Palm made the touchstone, yippeee, but when I'm on the road I regularly NEED that USB port. If it isn't easy to get to, it's a daily hassle. Put it on the side... fine... but in that horrific casing... the SECOND time around? Changing the battery is also not so simple either. Besides, when I'm on the road I won't carry a touchstone and need that USB to connect at work. Jeez..

I'll post more but I came here thinking it was going to be a piece of cake to trade in my iPhone for the Pre but just wanted to make sure the obvious was possible...
    No, tell us how you really feel, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post

wow , i like turtles!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by streetskooler View Post
    @ms960: I didn't have the droid but had the droid eris (liked the form factor and HTC sense). anyway i liked android a lot but the eris was SLOW and the virtual keyboard was frustrating bc of the slowness and i was always having issues with the auto correct. I'm enjoying my pre a lot more than my eris & i gotta say a big reason is this website and the ability to customize via patches, etc. plus the touchstone is really cool and is only like $30 now
    Yeah, I've played with the Eris and while the HTC UI is nice looking, I did think the phone was sluggish as well. I've heard there are problems with the signal and such on that.

If I wasn't past my 30 days with the Droid, I'd probably be all over the Pre Plus. But, as previously stated, I think $600 for full retail is too much to pay for it. So, I'll have to wait on some deals (e.g., used) to get one. Unfortunately.
    Can you tell me where to post to get help with my calendar problem? I need to search it.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    after two days of the pre plus i can honestly say it is the best phone i have ever had in any way imaginable. its so powerful and stylish without being too complicated for an everyday user. even my sister who is not focused on phones at all loves trying all the different features and is making the jump to her first smartphone later in the week. hopefully verizon can help get enough of these out there so the word of mouth can start to build even more. on another note thanks to everyone that contributes to the website, without it i wouldn't have even scratched the surface of the pre's capabilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Summer22 View Post
    Can you tell me where to post to get help with my calendar problem? I need to search it.
    what your problem ? just click on my name and send a personal message i will help you if i can
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Summer22 View Post
    I have the Pre for a couple of days now. I really like it. But I have a major deal breaker, it could go back. I need to search the calendar. Finder doesn't . Any options, help, please.
    Hi Summer. There's an app called Google Calendar Search that works really well for this. If you combine it with a couple of the other calendaring apps, such as Agenda and Quick Event, you will have a pretty complete calendaring solution.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by ms960 View Post
    Yeah, I've played with the Eris and while the HTC UI is nice looking, I did think the phone was sluggish as well. I've heard there are problems with the signal and such on that.

If I wasn't past my 30 days with the Droid, I'd probably be all over the Pre Plus. But, as previously stated, I think $600 for full retail is too much to pay for it. So, I'll have to wait on some deals (e.g., used) to get one. Unfortunately.
    well i agree $600 is very expensive, however if you ebay'd ur droid for say $300 then the pre would only be ~$300, which isn't too bad. the pre form factor is much a better feel in the hand and in the pocket. if ur on the fence then i'd say go for the pre it really is worth it
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Hi Summer. There's an app called Google Calendar Search that works really well for this. If you combine it with a couple of the other calendaring apps, such as Agenda and Quick Event, you will have a pretty complete calendaring solution.
    what shes saying is she needs to have universal search work for the calender if not her company wont let her have the pre
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    what shes saying is she needs to have universal search work for the calender if not her company wont let her have the pre
    Hi Shane, sorry I missed that. Thanks.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    its kool how r ya ??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    My goodness, this thread has gone way off topic. I have to scan posts to see who is actually on verizon with the plus. I'll be ordering mine tomorrow and I'm excited. I will be keeping an eye on this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    No, tell us how you really feel, lol.
    LOL. You guys get the wrong idea. I really like the phone and I've been trying to just see workarounds to get around some of the very poor design as a result of iPhone envy. If the Pixi was a tad larger and had the same resolution and specs as the Pre Plus, I'd buy it immediately.

Getting back to the original poster's question... I was walking through the heart of midtown today and stopped by the first small Verizon store. They didn't have the Pre or Pixi in it just like another affiliate store near my apartment (great, especially during the only major press these models will get from Verizon.) While I was in the store, the couple at the desk was asking about when the iPhone was coming to VZW.

Went to the main store since it was further on my way. The Pre and Pixi were there but without much fanfare, although they were on the center displays along with the Samsung and 3 other phones. Surprisingly, nobody was using them. When the Storm 2 and Droid came out there were always lines of people. I'm not sure many people even know about Palm's phones. One person asked about the Droid and a second was being told something about the iPhone coming to Verizon.

I played with the Pre Plus for a while. The first one worked pretty well and is noticeably nicer than the original Pre. Unfortunately the second Pre Plus wouldn't drop down the menu properly for the browser (bookmark, new card, etc.) no matter how many times I clicked. The screen is a bit too small, not fatal but it is. I really dislike how low the small keys are in the well but, after testing typing, I'm convinced that it's still a much better experience than the iPhone. The iPhone does great spelling correction automatically but you'll end up sending plenty of emails (or correcting them) that use correctly spelled but the wrong words. Major win for the Pre.

Based on what I'm seeing, I guess besides questions I have that I'll put in another thread make me wonder (a) whether this phone will be a blip on the radar at Verizon, and (b) if so, whether it's worth waiting to see whether there is another Palm phone because the 2 would hopefully correct the bad layout of essentials on the Pre Plus and I'm also wondering how long Palm's products might be around in light of my experience in three Verizon stores here... with the word out on the street that the iPhone will be coming soon...
    The POS features/functionality I'll miss (in order of importance):
    • No look one-handed navigation (opt + finger is a lame way to move a cursor)
    • 3 in 1 stylus
    • Graffitti
    • Key Caps
    • Text Plus
    • RNS TopSelecText

The list aside, this is the most amazing phone ever. After a few hours with it I mostly feel at home. It is much faster and responsive than the demo I looked at in store.
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    A moderator needs to go to town on this thread, especially now it's promoted on the homepage.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by laze View Post
    A moderator needs to go to town on this thread, especially now it's promoted on the homepage.
    To do what? What's the problem? If you think it really needed a moderator, notify one. Otherwise, I shared my thoughts on the Palm Pre as I've seen them in several of my local stores and we can get back to discussion methinks.
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast