Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
    I picked up my Pre + on Monday and I haven't put it down since! Well that's a lie... of course I have had to put it down, but not much. I have installed Preware, WOSWI, and a bunch of patches. I love the openness of the platform and the overall flow/feel of WebOS. Looking forward to 1.4 and especially better battery life... that is my only complaint. Glad to be part of the Precentral.net community!
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewj318 View Post
    OMG people, don't you have anything better to do? If you don't like the Pre then get rid of it. If you think you can make it better then go work for Palm and do something about it. Otherwise, stop cluttering up the board with all this 'opinionated' chatter. Wow, gives me a headache!
    Don't you have anything better to do... like... read ANOTHER thread? The ability for you to IGNORE this thread is much easier than any of us sending in our resumes to Palm, flying out to interviews, nd relocating our families so we can work there, being the most important thing for us to do in life.

A message board is about sharing opinions, in case you haven't noticed. You've just shared your self-important, off-topic and completely useless opinion. That's not an opinion but a fact. I may disagree but I respect the poster on the other end and the enjoyment of message boards is in sharing information, opinions, and good humor in a well intended manner. Now if you can't handle it because YOU are getting a headache... then as they'd say across the pond... bugger off!
  3.    #183  
    Quote Originally Posted by hinky View Post
    Don't you have anything better to do... like... read ANOTHER thread? The ability for you to IGNORE this thread is much easier than any of us sending in our resumes to Palm, flying out to interviews, nd relocating our families so we can work there, being the most important thing for us to do in life.

A message board is about sharing opinions, in case you haven't noticed. You've just shared your self-important, off-topic and completely useless opinion. That's not an opinion but a fact. I may disagree but I respect the poster on the other end and the enjoyment of message boards is in sharing information, opinions, and good humor in a well intended manner. Now if you can't handle it because YOU are getting a headache... then as they'd say across the pond... bugger off!

Great response to somebody ranting with a complaint about people that rant and complain. Glass houses, throwing stones and pot calling kettle black come to mind here.
    People have to realize that this is NOT a fan club. The title says it all: PreCentral FORUM.
    If it's not clear to anybody what the difference is, they can find the definitions of it in the dictionary.
    OMG people, don't you have anything better to do? If you don't like the Pre then get rid of it. If you think you can make it better then go work for Palm and do something about it. Otherwise, stop cluttering up the board with all this 'opinionated' chatter. Wow, gives me a headache!
    Heh! First time I'm using the ignore list in a forum
    /EU/GR/
    I do agree that it is the easiest to slide open if you want to answer it. I disagree that the act of simply pressing a button is not the easiest and quickest way to connect the dots here. It's hard to imagine that fidgeting with a slide and also having the phone not being a nice, balanced, solid instrument in your hand (which it isn't with the keyboard open) isn't easier than just pressing the button on the front.
    I don't think you've ever answered directly, so I'll ask again. Do you have one? If not, then you're speaking hypothetically. I have one. It's easier to open by sliding than to press the button. At least for me.

When I have the device in the palm of my hand, my thumb naturally and automatically rests on the middle of the screen. I press and slide up, and it's open.

To press the button, I have to move my thumb down, and feel for it, then press it.

The only "fidgeting" is in the latter example.

If her Centro crashed daily, she should have exchanged it like numerous others did, potentially have a hardware defect. Getting a phone without a hardware defect would make someone more productive.
    I told her the same thing, which is exactly what I tell others that have problems with the Pre. If it's defective, take it back. My reference was in what you claimed:
    Everything was right with the hardware. Nobody ever complained about the hardware, with the exception of Palm waiting forever to include contemporary numbers.
    Now you're saying numerous others took it back. You can claim the Centro wasn't a Treo, but it was. Different form factor, same OS, same basic components, same software, same SKU number sequences from Palm, different name because of the size. Finally you dismiss the 600 because it was so many years ago. It was still a Treo, and still had problems. Finally, the last Treo branded system was released in 2008, and there were plenty of complaints about it as well.

Too many people look back with fond memories of the "old Palm" that are just false memories. They had their problems just like any other company.

Solid, really easy to type (Blackberry replacement worthy) - what happened to that? Trying to type email on buttons that are so small is unnecessary and completely counterproductive.
    Again, I think you're talking theoretically. I don't have any problem typing on the Pre, and don't find they keyboard to be any worse than any of the previous Palm devices I had, and better than some.

On the other hand, the keyboard (the keys themselves) are better on the Pixi. I suspect that's the same assembly they used (or close to it) on the Pre Plus. It's good to see them improve.

Actually, you're the one that lost credibility and, perhaps, doesn't seem to read very much. Palm has been working on WebOS for at least 2 years that I'm aware (you can look it up)
    Nope, I don't think I can, I tried, and saw found nothing that said anything like that. The Foleo did not use WebOS. The Linux kernal was developed by a totally different company.

And even if they were working on it 2 years ago, it's disingenuous at best to say "it's been years later". No, you don't measure a product by the date they started working on it. It's been out since June. It's that simple.

With regard to the updates, you still don't have a landscape keyboard stock, do you?
    Nope, I don't expect we'll ever have one. Palm has pretty much indicated they don't plan on doing on. My Treo never had one either.

So what you're telling me is that you have a (still slow, I tried it) late beta / release candidate version of very early WebOS software that you're having fun testing... almost 8 months later.
    Nah, that's what you're telling me. It's a lie though, but you seem to be having fun convincing yourself.

Ed C. still thinks the market is waiting for him and they can sell incremental versions of the product that lag months behind everyone else. When the Treo was out, it was the only phone like it with great form factor, beautiful screen, super easy to type and receive email. Like the graph shows, they went from a significant 30%+ market share to what... under 3%?
    Ed C isn't at Palm.

Seriously, I think the bottom line here is it appears you don't seem happy with the notion that some folks like the Pre. Too bad.
    That's the irony. He doesn't even have one (at least, I don't think he does... could be wrong).
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    Got mine on Monday morning and I'm as pleased as I could be with it. Is it perfect? Nope, there is no such thing as a perfect phone. But, coming from my old 755P, it's an amazing upgrade. I've been a long time Agendus user, and was a little worried about the lack of a Pre version, but so far I haven't missed it. I certainly haven't missed the instability Agendus seemed to cause in my 755.
    Synergy is amazing in my mind. I have an Exchange account, a Gmail account, Facebook and Linkedin all synced together and the power of having all of that data combined is huge. I'd like to see the PIM apps a bit more mature, but they'll get there. All in all this phone done a very good job of serving both business and personal duties.
    At some point Palm is going to have to accept that they will sell far more units at a slightly lower margin (possibly, I'd be willing to pay a little) than far fewer units at a slightly higher margin. And right now they are teetering close to the edge because their iPhone killers aren't selling like the iPhone.
    No disrespect, but do you really think you can armchair quarterback and determine what margin is better suited for a 600 million dollar company? Seriously, if you're such a brilliant business person, don't you have better things to do that complain about a phone on an internet forum?

While some of your points may be valid, you're thoughts on the Pre represent a minuscule minority of the customer market out there. For every person that picks apart the phone to your level, there are thousands who think it's just fine. So Palm would be throwing away money putting more money in the production of the phone to appease a crowd that probably makes up 0.1% of the customer base. No matter what they do, there will always be someone that dislikes something about a phone. At some point, a manufacturer has to say good enough and move on.

I know you're just saying what you think will make a better product, but face it, the general consumer base is nowhere near as picky about it as you are.
    FedEx man brought my new Pre-Plus to me on Tuesday and I must say that so far I love it! I had tried the Droid but I did not like the big square look and Android just feels like it is still in beta to me. Within two minutes of starting my new Pre us I was opening up programs and flicking cards around. It is a really fun and functional OS. I really like how easy it is to close programs. I listen to Pandora on the way to work in the car and I like how in two quick flicks I can close it. I have not had a chance to get into the homebrew and patches yet but I plan on getting over there and reading up. But so far I must say I am very happy and feel like I got a great device for the price. (I had a $100 NE2 upgrade creidt so it was only $49 for me)
    Quote Originally Posted by stirling View Post
    Got mine on Monday morning and I'm as pleased as I could be with it. Is it perfect? Nope, there is no such thing as a perfect phone. But, coming from my old 755P, it's an amazing upgrade. I've been a long time Agendus user, and was a little worried about the lack of a Pre version, but so far I haven't missed it. I certainly haven't missed the instability Agendus seemed to cause in my 755.
    Synergy is amazing in my mind. I have an Exchange account, a Gmail account, Facebook and Linkedin all synced together and the power of having all of that data combined is huge. I'd like to see the PIM apps a bit more mature, but they'll get there. All in all this phone done a very good job of serving both business and personal duties.
    When you're ready for HomeBrew, check out Quick Event and Agenda. They make a good combo. Agenda shows me what I've got coming up for the next month, and ties directly to the Calendar or Quick Event, so they're each one click away.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I currently have a Droid on Verizon and, while I enjoy the capabilities of it and it beats the pants off the Blackberry I had prior, it is a very big phone and very angular. I have been considering the Pre Plus since it was announced as I do like the form factor a lot more than the Droid. Only problem is I'd have to buy it outright, and I'm just not convinced it's $600 better than the Droid.

So, has anyone gone from the Droid who can address the full retail cost and it's merits? I like the approach Palm is taking and admit WebOS appeals to me a lot more than Andoid (can you say splintered?).

I'd love to splurge for the Pre Plus, but not sure I want to splurge to the tune of $600.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ms960 View Post
    I currently have a Droid on Verizon and, while I enjoy the capabilities of it and it beats the pants off the Blackberry I had prior, it is a very big phone and very angular. I have been considering the Pre Plus since it was announced as I do like the form factor a lot more than the Droid. Only problem is I'd have to buy it outright, and I'm just not convinced it's $600 better than the Droid.

So, has anyone gone from the Droid who can address the full retail cost and it's merits? I like the approach Palm is taking and admit WebOS appeals to me a lot more than Andoid (can you say splintered?).

I'd love to splurge for the Pre Plus, but not sure I want to splurge to the tune of $600.

Thanks.
    I like the Pre, but no way would I pay $600 for one. Have you considered selling the Droid? Are you still in the 30 day window?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I like the Pre, but no way would I pay $600 for one. Have you considered selling the Droid? Are you still in the 30 day window?
    No, not within the 30-day window. I bought the Droid right near release date, so the Pre Plus was announced way after my 30 days had passed. Unfortunately. I was so anxious to get away from my Blackberry Curve I couldn't wait .
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mullrat View Post
    Quick note on our touchstone problems. Are you using the micro usb that palm provided or your old bb charger? Reason i'm asking is that the fitting of the cable to the touchstone is specific. But the funny thing is if you put another type of micro usb charger in it , the connection is held part of the time. So try and use the charger and cable from palm and I bet this will work. It happened to me
    Thanks for reply, I was using first touchstone with the USB charger provided by Palm supplied. The replacement unit works fine to charge my Pre so does seem to have been something awry with original unit.

Less than a week with this thing and everything else seems so out of date.
    my last post was not on topic. sorry!
    Last edited by amd18; 01/28/2010 at 06:38 PM. Reason: moved

Thanks.
    Well... come August, or so, you will see lots of used Pre's for sale all over the place. Once Sprint offers a newer WebOS device and all of the early-adopters reach their 1 year mark, people will be upgrading to the new phones and selling off the older devices.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Well... come August, or so, you will see lots of used Pre's for sale all over the place. Once Sprint offers a newer WebOS device and all of the early-adopters reach their 1 year mark, people will be upgrading to the new phones and selling off the older devices.
    August ?? That's like, seven months away, an eternity in gadget-world .
    August ?? That's like, seven months away, an eternity in gadget-world .
    I think in reality, you'll see some people who decide the Pre+ was not right for them in about 1 1/2 - 2 months. Maybe if you're lucky, you can find one sooner than that if people buy two phones and somehow "flip" one of them. In such cases, they'll likely be Pixi's though. The other thing to try is to post a "trade" here in the marketplace forum. Maybe there's already someone with a Pre+ that would rather a Droid at this point!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!

Thanks.
    I am in the process of going from Droid to Pre Plus. Bought a Pre Plus on ebay on Tuesday and sold my Droid on craigslist yesterday.

FedEx is delivering the Pre Plus tomorrow. I am excited to get it, but also a little nervous giving up on the Droid.

The Droid did ALOT of things well, but I was having some exchange email issues, and the calendar app was just OK.

I like the form factor of the Pre, but am a bit concerned on battery life and overall speed compared to the Droid.

Will keep everyone updated!
    Quote Originally Posted by amd18 View Post
    my last post was not on topic. sorry!
    first check to see what settings your email sync is set on it can be a **** if you have it set on like every 15 min it will wear out your batt. also keep it charged all the way up for the first three weeks as the battery loves a charge when seeding it after that it should be good to go , so if after three weeks its still doing this just go get it replaced . this battery is completely diff from older type batteries. it is not suggested to let it drain all the way out and is said that it could shorten battery life .... so hope this helps !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast