1.    #1  
    Ok this is what happened. I recently downloaded the NFL2010 app to my phone but it would not install. It would keep saying downloading and downloading so after about 12 hrs or so I figured it might be an issue so I went into the forum to search and ask for help.

So after a day or so with no real solution, I ended up resetting my phone which it said it would delete all my patches and so forth and I really didnt want to but None of my new apps would download from the app catalog but preware worked fine.

Well when I reset my phone my patches did not delete, they actually seem to have become part of my software like the mmddyyyy/ actual percent of battery and all the little things that we seem to think should have been standard on the Pre.

Does anyone know why this happened? I had to reinstall preware and a few of my apps disappeared but everything is working fine now.
    seems like you have never done a reset before. Everytime ou install an patch you should have to reset for them to take effect. Seems you installed tons of patchs and never restart the device.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
  3.    #3  
    That make no sense to me, I have restarted my devise on numerous occasion and my patches would be in affect. If I opened Preware it would say how many packages installed and howman of those were apps as well as patches. It shows that I have no patches installed but they are still there. I also installed a new patch to check and see if this was the case and then the screen now reads one patch installed.
    webos dr to 1.3.5 and call it a snafu!
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I think when you say reset, you mean you did a full or partial erase? If that's the case, you should have run the emergency recovery tool before that. Your only option will be to doctor the phone.
  6.    #6  
    No, Im good now everything works its just that the patches i installed are no permanent, only problem i foresee is when 1.4 come or what have you but I accidentally updated to 1.3.5.1 without uninstalling patches and all was well. It was a partial reset.
    if you do the webosdoctor all the patches and theme will be takin off your phone and it'll be reset to default, when you log in you'll still have ur contacts as long as you have everything backed up
  8.    #8  
    Right, i get what everyone is saying I think, Everyone is saying that if I use the Webos Dr that even though the patches are not listed in the preware screen they will be removed? Which is ok but I dont want to remove them. Unless it mean that I cant update to 1.4 or higher and I am only willing at this point to update if I get video recording or the ability to mobile hot spot, thats all I feel that my Pre is lacking now
    Patches are now backed up to your Palm Profile. So before you do a reset, you must remove all the patches first and make sure you do at least one backup of your Palm Profile so that stuff is removed from the Profile backup.

Then you do the reset!

Otherwise you won't have a clean - doctored phone.

It's been stated over and over again, to remove your patches before any upgrade.

And any resets where you want to clean out your patches.

You must remove first!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

10.    #10  
    I gotcha
    I had the exact same issue earlier in the week. It was totally weird. I had a strange issue where my volume was turning itself off so I wanted to reset my Sprint Pre. I went into WebOs quick Install to get rid of my tweaks and patches. I had the battery %, 4 x 4 icons, and a couple others set up. QuickInstall said that I had no patches or tweaks installed. Nothing had a checkmark. I ran the emergency repair to get rid of them but it came back with an error saying that no tweaks or patches were found. I then did a full erase. Once I entered my palm profile info and the phone finished turning on I found that my tweaks and patches were still there. I then did a Doctor and it of course finally fixed it. I was surprised that after a full erase the tweaks and patches were still there.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Patches are now backed up to your Palm Profile. So before you do a reset, you must remove all the patches first and make sure you do at least one backup of your Palm Profile so that stuff is removed from the Profile backup.

Then you do the reset!

Otherwise you won't have a clean - doctored phone.

It's been stated over and over again, to remove your patches before any upgrade.

And any resets where you want to clean out your patches.

You must remove first!

Rob
    wait... WHAAAT!?

PATCHES(?) are now backed up to the PALM PROFILE!?

when did that start? are you sure about that?

I mean I know we must do epr befor upgrades but I've never heard of them actuallygetting backed up to the profile... 0.o
    Quote Originally Posted by cheburashka View Post
    wait... WHAAAT!?

PATCHES(?) are now backed up to the PALM PROFILE!?

when did that start? are you sure about that?

I mean I know we must do epr befor upgrades but I've never heard of them actuallygetting backed up to the profile... 0.o
    It stores some of the information .. maybe not the entire thing but enough of it to mess you up!

Try and doctor your phone without removing your patches and then when you reboot your phone after doctoring, load Preware as usual.

Then go to 'installed' you will see some of your patches installed.

Also, if you go to install a patch, thinking it was cleared out because of doctoring your phone, it will error out trying to install the patch.

When did it start this... about 1.3.1

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

losing all ur patches isn't that big of a deal, you can just redownload and start over again
    And I should add, that not enough people know this and it is really messing up everybody and that is why so many more people are having issues after upgrading there phones. Or just plain doctoring their phones to do certain things.

Oh, I forgot to state one way of getting around it but it should not be tried by everyone:

I deleted my backup profile (you do that by bringing up the Backup App and then turning it off, it will say 'do you want to erase your profile).

Then I doctor my phone, but I lose all of my settings and I have to setup everything by scratch...all the email accounts... everything. but I use PocketMirror so I'm not so concerned by it.

And you must always use the same Profile name, don't change it, all of you paid app are stored there, that information is never deleted or erase from your profile.

So don't CREATE A NEW PROFILE' using a different email address!

Rob

I learned the hard way, and had to repurchase all my app again, luckily Palm realized what happened and refunded my money on the apps, but I had to fax in all my receipts.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

huh... Interesting, thanx for the headsup... I guess I never noticed it since I always did it the way we were told to lol...

again, ty for headsup :-)
    Communication issues from the op. A clearly-expressed problem is one of the best ways to get a clearly-expressed solution.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.